Physics thread

Long time no see, ask any physics question I'll answer as best I can.

Shit's still experimental. I figure there is another "faster than light neutrino" incident going on here that will be debunked soon.

Or else, there is some very very very interesting physics at work involving the quantization of space time itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_transfer_theorem
physics.stackexchange.com/questions/47224/what-does-a-sphere-moving-close-to-the-speed-of-light-look-like
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

is ftl possible

I saw a headline somewhere that NASA has published a paper on a neutron drive

does this mean we're gonna start getting some sci-fi propulsion shit going soon?

more biology than physics, but are there many grills in your lab/lecture hall? why don't grills into space?

Not as far as we know (barring wayyyy out there theoretical conjectures). But you can go arbitrarily far in as short a time as you like according to your won clocks as you get closer to the speed of light.

Hmm? link?

At Masters level it was around 15% female.

sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1

misremembered. it's an em drive, whatever that is. still would love to hear your take

read OP

Newtons relativity says that some nigga flying by real fast is gunna be shorter right? So if I land on another planet, say mercury, which is going a decent amount faster than earth, will i be turned into a manlet?
For that matter could there be a microscopic(in our point of view) planet flying by us and we cant even see it?

I=V/R
so, if i have a 9V battery and want to produce the highest current i just hardwire the battery.
The Ah-value on the tells me how long that current will last.
all the energy stored in the battery will be turned into heat, when i hardwire the battery, right?
if i use a bigger wire, then the resistance will be smaller and therefore the current bigger.
if i use a smaller wire, then the resistance will be bigger and therefore the current smaller.

but the smaller wire will produce more heat? but shouldn't there be more heat when i use a bigger wire, because more energy flows?

At the velocities planets, hell, galaxies orbit, you don't get much in terms of relativistic effects.

A rule of thumb is that unless v > 0.2c you ignore all relativistic effects.

As for the question of whether stuff can be flying fast us so that we can't see it, remember lorentz contraction only occurs in the direction of travel, not the transverse direction.

But even more so, lorentz contraction is like taking a pencil and rotating it away from you so it appears shorter. A spherical planet will never appear shorted. Spherical objects do not get lorentz contracted.

Those are called asteroids :^)

Assume you have a perfect battery (no internal resistance). Then the power dissipated in the wire will be I^2R = V^2/R hence the higher resistance will radiate more power.

HOWEVER: batteries are not perfect. They have a small internal resistance. So there is a tradeoff between larger voltage across resisting wire and current flowing through it.

The maximum power is transfered when load matches internal resistance,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_transfer_theorem

that must make for some edgy parties
another one: already, much of the work you do would be impossible without computing. do you worry that the complexity of the universe is beyond our capacity to understand?

Actually I aim very little computational work. I want to be almost an applied mathematician to some degree so I work on the mathematical theories behind physics and let other actually so the grunt work. Which is good cause I really hate computers.

For making theories, I do not think so. The universe is much simpler than our brains are for instance. I don't see any reason it should be too complex for us or something,

Why did the fissisist pass the geometry test?

Because he wasn't obtuse!

How do you feel about the fact that relativity was created by a jew to put a roadblock in the progression of physics by making it accepted to say shit that doesnt make sense tbh fam. Why do you trust jewish "science"?

Why do you trust "Deutsche Physik", famon?

prove it :^)

That's a leap of faith; doesn't this mean that the whole fucking everything can be described by a handful of fairly simple equations?

It is :)

Relativity isn't technically wrong. It just doesn't do anything for anybody. Science just holds on to theories that can consistently predict a result or simplify something, or seems like an idea worth exploring. But scientists don't fundamentally understand anything. Just an understanding of how to achieve certain results and how to explain large things using other smaller observations.

I don't understand this. It completely changed our view of our environment from how the gravitational force acts through the vaccuum to describing the dynamics of the actual universe itself.

It does a lot for many people. Enjoy using your GPS? :)

A cute observation at the time but still nothing earth shattering.

From my relative point if view, I see you type like a huge fag who prides himself on how many big words he swallowed, and wants to regurgitate it back to 8cucks to demonstrate how cool he is.

Go lift some weights. Gravity is involved you'll loovee it.

What on Earth are you talking about? Relativity =/= Relativism, the philosophy. There are eternal truths.

And I am over 6' and jacked.Come on hit me with your best shot i'm practically perfect etc.

Oh yeah? Take a picture and timestamp, nerd.

Whats your opinion on a holographic universe?

I know barely anything about string theory so I cannot tell you.

Fuck off, Chad.

:^}

=GG=

How much does the universe weigh?

Do you believe in other universes?

You mean what is the total mass content of the universe right?

It's negative because of dark energy. Thats why its expansion is increasing.

which laws of physics allowed donald trump to win the presidential election?

THe law of anti cuckery

OP here, bump!

Oh pick me pick me! For the love of Christ I have the answer! Pick me!

Why is "angle in = angle out" still taught in physics even though it is constantly proven false by light reflecting at all angles when bouncing off an object aka being able to see?

because it's true
This is because there are imperfections on the surface.

Alright, OP.
Here I am to be a contrarian.
Cosmologists of today are much like religionists; grasping onto failed theories and adding ever more complex gobbledygook to cover up their inability to match observations with their precious theories – to the detriment of all mankind. Einstein would roll over in his grave.
Let me get specific. The Big Bang Theory. It is little more than Creationism; and grasped onto by cosmologists just as fervently. Any scientific papers backed up by numerous observations are not even allowed the light of day by the 'scientific' establishment, made up of folks who force observations to fit their theories (rather than the other way around), who see their entire careers in jeopardy if, for example, the Big Bang Theory was bullshit! Even Einstein didn't like it!
I would direct the thoughtful and curious anons toward "The Big Bang Never Happened" by Lerner; and some of the great work being done by plasmologists, beginning with the pioneering work of Alfven.
Anyway, the reason I bring this particular example up is because I wish to pose some questions. What if the Universe had no beginning or end in time or space, but was just constantly changing, destroying and creating, evolving? Would that not make the center of the infinite universe everywhere and the circumference nowhere? And just what would that revelation do to social constructs among us humans here on earth? Would not that make each and every center responsible for the whole, considering their would be nothing but the whole, with an infinite number of centers? If one studies history one can see that social structures changed and the power of establishment oriented religion changed when it was revealed to the common man that the earth moved around the sun, not the other way around. Maybe it's time to make another change. Just think of the implications! Freedom for all! Leaving each center free to act in accordance with it actually being the center of the whole!
Now b4 you all come at me, I suggest you aquaint yourselves with Lerner and Alfven, or we can't have a meaningful discussion, and this will dissolve into mere philosophical and sociological tomfoolery.

alright lad, but where in your theory does enthropy fit in?

Emtropy fits right in there with negentropy. They are points of view. We have already observed superclusters of galaxies that are many more light years across than the Big Bang Theory even allows mathematically for the age of the entire universe! How would that be possible that parts of the universe are older than the entire thing? The theory is wrong, but because the observations always have to fit their precious theory they make up stuff like dark matter so the math works out. Same thing with the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Who is to say that entropy itself is not just another form of negentropy, sometimes appearing to coalesce, sometimes appearing to be shattered into more complexity?
What about stellar nurseries, galaxies, superclusters, even the cellular growth in your own body? Are they not constantly organizing themselves in ways very similar to plasma? What you see as chaos may be just a higher form of order, especially in an infinite universe, infinite in both time and space! Just how do perceived chaos and perceived order do their dance, exactly? Who decides what is entropy and what is negentropy?

Sorry about the misspellings.
I am on a tiny phone that is little more than a potato, and I have been pretending to listen to a whiny bitch telling me her tales of woe for the last hour also.

And b4 someone says B-b-but our bodies decay and die!
What if I am not the body? What if I am the infinite universe, experiencing itself everywhere everywhen, and so are you!
'I am he as you are he and you are me,
And we are all together…'
I just like to fuck with people's heads a bit sometimes, and get them to think for themselves once in awhile rather than subscribe to popular opinion just because it is popular. Too many years on the chans.

How should i go to learn math from scratch to arrive at physics?

I lost this thread for a while but im back.

I'll go through this point by point (keep in mind I am not a cosmologist and know only the bits that are relevant to studying GR and quantum field theory):

If you are talking about inflation you may well be correct. Everything else, probably not. Einstein called the cosmological constant his greatest blunder when he realized the universe is expanding.

I would assume he is upset about inflation once again because of uniformity across the boundary of the expanding universe. Many people are unhappy with inflation i believe.

The reason the big bang exists is because our best GR metric to describe the universe (the FRW metric), when all the parameters are matched to what we observe, has a big bang and then inflates to infinity accelerating over time.

Rest of the post is philosophical stuff I don't want to talk about.

I don't know what you are talking about with negentropy. A quick google revelas its just a measure of variance from the maximally entropic state…

Hence "inflation".

dark matter is confirmed in so many different ways its hard to argue it doesn't exist. Just looking at the rotation of a galaxy you will observe its effects.

I think you don't understand what entropy really is.

But I do believe inflation may be bunk. You have to have a coupling to a scalar (Higgs?) field for it to work. It may be a new reveloution in field theory if we can build a theory with a higgs-graviton coupling or something. i dont know.

Learn basic calculus and linear algebra, then pick up a physics textbook on classical mechanics and put everything you just learned into play.

nigga what

It is contracted but doesn't look like it.

I fucked that up big time.

physics.stackexchange.com/questions/47224/what-does-a-sphere-moving-close-to-the-speed-of-light-look-like