I need to wipe my hard drive

I need to wipe my hard drive.

Is BleachBit actually good? Or should I use another tool.

Bleachbit was endorsed by Satan himself and you know this.

Don't use BleachBit, partial wipes should be considered useless.

DBAN with 3 passes if you are using a hard drive.

Don't use DBAN on a SSD.

Use parted magic for ssd. DBAN for hdd as this op already stated.

Bullshit. One pass of zero's is all you need, and that's hybrid drive friendly. After that it takes disassembling the drive and using an alternative read header, and no one is going to bother with that unless you killed the president or something in which case they probably don't need your drive.

Confirmed for 🍕

Set it on fire.

Like, with a cloth or something?

I know that data can theoretically be recovered with just one pass, but has it ever actually been done in real life?

Use a strong enough magnet. There, hard drive wiped.

nice try, podesta

A harddrive degausser that actually works is very expensive.. just wipe it.

nothing wipes hard drives, like nuclear explosion

Clinton used it and she isn't in jail.

Programs like BleachBit aren't good at destroying evidence, it works on the filesystem level. Modern operation systems leave evidence scattered everywhere.

The only way is to zero out every sector of the drive, and not from within the filesystem.

Wiping your drive?

You'll be charged with "anticipatory obstruction of justice" (Unless you are Hillary)

That's a real thing in the United States. You don't even need to be under active investigation.

Thermite does the trick.

lol, witnessed

this.

Then find the largest magnet you can and place your HDD on it, then drill a hole in it, then burn it in a fire, then throw it in the middle of the ocean.

Why waste the drive? Unless it's failing or some sectors were remapped, there is no need to destroy it.

because OP is probably a pedo

Why do most large companies still do multiple pass wipes?

Why would a pedo wipe their CP stash? A pedo would probably be asking about the best encryption.

This user is right, for hdd (not ssd) one pass will work just fine.

Cause of history and stupidity: in the past it has been shown that you can recover data (one bit) by reading the areas next to the tracks on a magnetic drive, after it has been overwritten, and thus recreate the data. There's not much info about it but my guess is that with an older drive, one could restore files or partial files. but on newer drives the density is so high that this way becomes unfeasible. One bit or a byte is possible, but entire data is not.

Ssd's is another story, even I don't know what the future will bring. All I know for now is that with wear leveling, you cannot be certain that every bit you try to overwrite, you can never be certain it will be gone.

Forgot to answer OP

Hole drive I use dban 1 pass, or just linux dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda

just one file on linux use shred, on windows eraser.heidi.ie

just throw the hard drive in literal bleach