Telegram is some shady ass shit NSA-proof encrypted chat app by the russian who made VK and there's a whole history of...

Telegram is some shady ass shit NSA-proof encrypted chat app by the russian who made VK and there's a whole history of him talking absolute bullshit proving he doesn't know crypto. One of the biggest issues is that while the client is free software the server is not, meaning you can't self host. It's not really free software.

Therefore everyone recommends Signal by moxie a twitter-infosec-clique approved cryptographer (and to be fair he does know his shit, he's one of the world experts on crypto - I'm not doubting the cryptography of Signal despite the recent whatsapp issue [1])... but you probably heard about the shitshow that was issue 37 of the LibreSignal fork [2].

Well Signal is not really free software just like Telegram: The server source code is not available. I hope people stop recommending this shit. We deserve better.

The only true free software app I know of for chatting to someone with a phone is fucking ChatSecure which is XMPP/OTR garbage that crashes if you so much as turn your phone while typing. It's pathetic that settle for this or something that isn't really free. We deserve better.

[1] zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6143 I wanted to archive.is it but archive.is seems screwed up for me.
[2] github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/issues/37

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/WhisperSystems/TextSecure-Server
github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/commit/873e7d7d3e6dffa0e157b7e0728e1d169029a802
gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

NSA-proof is meant to be in scare quotes like: "NSA-proof".

github.com/WhisperSystems/TextSecure-Server

Also as Signal is an integration of RedPhone and TextSecure, RedPhone is even more simple, as it seems to be handled by GCM, which isn't surprising. The phone side is done using RTP peer to peer, so there isn't much to the server.

oh shit this is awesome. I was wrong, mea culpa.

So my question then is, Could we hack signal so that it doesn't use phone numbers?

related: github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/commit/873e7d7d3e6dffa0e157b7e0728e1d169029a802

It doesn't matter whether server is closed source or not.

The whole point of End-to-End encryption is that it doesn't matter what's in-between, even if it's NSA agents. And Signal does that well. Technically, even if the source was available, server it officially connects you to could run a modified version and you wouldn't even know.

I understand your point but there's also the issue of needing to self host!
if they don't give a server it's too much trouble and everyone is locked in to the central one

It does, because people will buy the end to end encryption meme despite the fact that the protocol itself is dogshit, in say Telegram.
Telegram E2E can be MITM'd.

What's with the obsession with gifs lately?

what about Wire? It uses Signal's encryption protocol and OTR for text messages.

>github.com/WhisperSystems/TextSecure-Server
>Licensed under the AGPLv3: gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html
Looks like the Affero General Public License is gaining traction, which is a good thing.

the tumblr video player was famously shit so the neo-netizens began to idealise .gifs (even if gifs are often now just converted to mp4s)

wew

Tumblrtards and normalfags like to use 6 frame GIFs from movies and TV shows that last half a second before looping as "Reaction images".

wew?

wew

W E W
E E
W E W

more info on telegram please

i read somewhere that ISIS used it in the past ? but i doubt they know any more about it than us