WRT54G Thread

Are any of you guys still using a WRT54G in TYOOL 2016?

What firmware are you using?

Appreciation thread for the GOAT router.

Yup. Running dd-wrt.

It's shit for torrents, have tried tweaking many settings and it's still utter shit.

Any tips?

pcengines master race
only cucks pay cisco for the privilege of using obsolete hardware

I'm using two with a third in storage and dd-wrt is installed on all of them. I regret nothing.

It's shit sadly

Still using 2xWRT54g and 1xWRT54GL (which is pretty much the same) with dd-wrt v23 sp1 at my parents house for wifi for nearly 10 years now.

one of the WRTs is connected via lan with the gateway and the other two are connected via wifi and they are forming one wifi mesh through dd-wrt's strange but working WDS support.

wifi roaming works perfectly, just the 802.11g is getting a bit too slow nowdays.

I have one running dd-wrt
The only issue is it goes out whenever using lots of bandwidth and I have to manually reset it.

part of its appeal is you can find a used one for under $10

Am I the only one here using openwrt?

Probably not, but why would you want to? Is it better in any way?

Before I decided on dd-wrt I also considered tomato and openwrt but neither seemed quite as good back then.

I suppose I dont necessarily have the experience in dd-wrt to say what's better, but I wasn't a huge fan of dd's freemiumness, so I started with openwrt and havent really looked back.

dd-wrtfags are unaware how they jewed openwrt. For the first few years at least, they were faux-open-source (paying for source, bogus threats at anyone who onlined it, claiming proprietary ownership of code written by OpenWRT. Worse was the mouthbreathing tards who were okay with that crap and shilled Tomato everywhere.

Not every version is capable of running openwrt.

Need a freedom respecting router any ideas?

It's actually maintained?

t made them so great?

I run it, it's fantastic
TP-Link 1043nd

One of these days.

ONE OF THESE DAYS.

I ended up upgrading to a R6300v2, as the 54G was just getting too old. Way to slow to move files across wireless.

This.

Most WRT54G have only 8MB of RAM. The only firmware that supports that is dd-wrt micro.

PFSENSE REPRESENT

pfsense and wrt54gl (now rt-n16)

pfsense -> layer 3 switch -> dd-wrt in AP mode

found a v2.2 in dumpster, it's been my router since. it had openwrt for a long time but then i changed it to something else i don't remember. it works i guess, could be better/faster but what can you do.