Systemd thread

It's that time again. Time for a systemd thread. systemd v231 has been released.

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2016-July/037220.html

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#GNU.2FLinux_distributions
github.com/systemd/mkosi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_spoofing
seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q4/592
forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?t=4476&p=16313
forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?t=4309&p=15736
lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/415
bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1160046
ma.ttias.be/whats-new-systemd-2015-edition/#Transcript
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=65575#c8
linux-kongress.org/2010/slides/systemd-poettering.pdf
grsecurity.net/rap_announce.php
pax.grsecurity.net/
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Grsecurity/The_RBAC_System
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-December/026591.html
git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/Upgrade-to-Devuan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

inb4 300 posts of autism

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#GNU.2FLinux_distributions

upboat

>>>/reddit/

Looks like another good release. Thank you based Lennart.

I'm going to have to speak to you and your wife's son.

I'm angry because they didn't paint the cuckshed red

Thanks Lord Poettering.

what could possibly go wrong

Been trying out Void lately and I find Runit to be such an intuitive and easy to use init. I'm kind of surprised more distros don't use it.

>github.com/systemd/mkosi
PotterOS is becoming reality.

Same here fam.

Black hatters of the world, rave on!

Oh look, a bunch of fucking retards don't know how local loopbacks work itt.

SYSTEMD MAKES SYSCALLS HAHAHA HOLY SHIT SYSTEMD IS A PROGRAM ROFLMAO LOOK HOW STUPID IT IS FAM YIFF

Void Linux is a godsend, I do wish it had more packages and maybe more maintainers but so far I have not found problems I could resolve myself or asking on IRC.

These threads are a good measurement for how low the collective Holla Forums IQ has fallen. We used to have pretty good discussions in these threads about technical aspects of systemd with a few spergs that had no idea what they are talking about mixed in. As we can see now, these threads no longer garner any sort of technical discussion. Only shitposting, and people picking out lines from the changelog out of context to attack parts of systemd that they have no understanding of. This could create good discussion if these retards had any idea what they were talking about, but sadly the things they have chosen to sperg about in this thread so far are completely meaningless.

No one will mention the enhanced security features of this release that take advantage of kernel security functionality, that their init/service managers don't have by default. They will instead claim systemd is the most insecure piece of software to ever exist because

I thought systemd was backdoored by the CIA?

I won't say that you haven't some point there.
But if just ONE pieces of software pisses enough a community to the point of making a fork like devuan.
I think that their can be some suspicions about systemd

The Linux Kernel is a security clusterfuck in case you didn't already know that.
Also:

Not an argument

Because systemd refuses to acknowledge security for DNS. They only mention DNSSEC /once/ because it is a penalty to performance, they do not mention why DNSSEC is a security measure, nor do they acknowledge dns cache poisoning [0], because "performance", amirite? They have already faced a similar DNS vulnerability [0.1], how much do you want to bet it will happen alot more often? due to the fact it is always listening on port 53 and enforced system-wide dns-caching by default.

grsecurity is the only (linux) software that addresses kernel 'security' and rectifies it correctly [1] [2]

systemd devs on the other hand have tried numerous times to hide kernel debugging [3]. perhaps because systemd-journald is a black box log daemon that hides stuff like auditing from the administrator [4] which pottering has addressed it was a demand from the NSA [5]

To which Pottering himself has already stated he wouldn't support grsecurity [6]

I suppose you mean systemd-nspawn which is really just a container. the same can be accomplished with firejail or on a more practical level with PaX or OpenBSDs W^X and pledge.

I assume your baiting here but lets pretend that you're actually serious. Pottering gave a presentation about systemd. in his own words
"Systemd is a system/session manager for Linux" [7] take a moment and understand that has nothing to do with an init. in fact it is a complete /replacement/ for init entirely, see above. Now acknowledging what systemd is (to its creator and the devs) let me address your statement. Since the only purpose of an init is to start the shell and reap dead processes, what is the purpose of having crap on top of it?

[0] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_spoofing
[0.1] seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q4/592
[1] forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?t=4476&p=16313
[2] forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?t=4309&p=15736
[3] lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/415
[4] bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1160046
[5] ma.ttias.be/whats-new-systemd-2015-edition/#Transcript :: Ctrl + F nsa
[6] bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=65575#c8
[7] linux-kongress.org/2010/slides/systemd-poettering.pdf :: Slide 3

This

Meant to reply to this

Sage for mistake

Great job proving you didn't bother to read the change log, or you would know the kernel security features mentioned were things like cgroupsv2, MemoryDenyWriteExecute, SystemCallFilter, etc by default. He wasn't talking about securing the kernel, he was talking about making it easy to use advanced kernel security features to secure systemd units. If you aren't going to bother to read the linked change log, why even bother posting? Not even going to bother addressing the rest of your retarded sperg rant since you couldn't be fucked to read the material linked in the OP.

Are you fucking retarded? Did you even read that bug report? That doesn't happen.

The only damage control in the thread is coming from you, after being called out for not knowing how a local loopback works. You fucking retard.

I have read it and I addressed it, you are too much of a dumbass to read the context of my post. let me dumb it down for you. :)

Heres what the changelog said about DNSSEC:

Heres what I replied with:

Here's what the changelog said about dns caching

Heres what I replied with:

Also you made a broad statement about kernel security, which systemd fails horribly at.
Heres what I replied with

Right to secure /systemd/ not your _system_
There are a lot better programs that don't need to be inside your session manager
RAP [0]
PaX [1]
RBAC [2]

[0] grsecurity.net/rap_announce.php
[1] pax.grsecurity.net/
[2]en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Grsecurity/The_RBAC_System

cat /dev/null > /dev/tty # delete your twitter account

Systemd threads have always been like this; don't fucking kid yourself. On the one hand we've got a huge heap spergs who don't understand system but come in to shitpost against it anyway. On the other hand we've got a small handful spergs who pretend to understand systemd so they can act like contrarian faggots despite not actually knowing any more than the first camp. I cannot think of a systemd thread that did not go like this ever.

From comment 9 from the same link.
"systemd enables auditing unconditionally [0]"
If it doesn't happen, why is it still open? :)
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-December/026591.html

You're faulting them for not explaining why DNSSEC is a net security gain in their changelog? Of an optional daemon that's disabled by default?
systemd is using what's available in the vanilla Linux kernel, you fucking retard. go bitch at torvalds, he has repeatedly explained why many of the changes done in GRSec/PaX are fucking insane when you consider the future. This has nothing to do with systemd.

You are a fucking retard.

Are you going to learn how to reply to the correct posts, you fucking moron?
You claimed:
When the bug report and mailing list is talking about audit being enabled by default, and duplicate log entries, not about hiding auditing.

Maybe you should learn to fucking read, you subhuman autist?

How to pretend X is nothing to worry about:
Append X with muh, so that it becomes

Let's try this.
Therefore the NSA is allright
Saying
would probably have saved half the Cambodian according to (((You))). Besides, SysTemD is not just a program with more features than the suckless crowd likes, it is a cancer becoming an OS of its own.

Just because some people use >muh wrong doesn't mean everyone does. When someone makes a non argument appending >muh to said non argument is a way to shame them into making a real argument by calling attention to how fucking retarded they are for using a non argument as an argument. Instead you want people to sit around arguing what color the bike shed is instead of arguing actual technical merit because you have no technical argument just like the retards that made said non arguments in the post you are quoting.

systemdicks

I get that systemd violates multiple principles, but what is the most glaring practical reason to use, say, Gentoo with OpenRC? Are there any other major distros that can be easily modded to remove the cancer? I really like my Debian system :(

systemd is good.

There is literally nothing wrong with using systemd

I don't like how it's trying to do everything, and don't like most everything it tries to do. All of the so-called drawbacks are all personal preference, though. Use what you like. I like OpenRC because it's simple.

btw, you can still install sysvinit on Debian or dist-upgrade with the Devuan repos (runs wonderfully)

The most practical reason to use Runit is because it's super simple and intuitive to setup and lightweight.

Is that as simple as changes the sources.list to point to a devuan repo? Does that let me keep MATE or will it try to change to xfce?

okay fam, enjoy ur meme

Systemd is superb fast but I'm running openRC just because i like to mess with system, it's bit slower like booting takes 2 seconds more. I just can't see the difference. Using openrc because of systemd devs.

The word is "prepend" you shit eating mongoloids.

You append X to muh, or append muh with X.
You prepend muh to X, or prepend X with muh.

Wrong?

Yup, that simple. I know Devuan's repos has MATE, but I haven't used it personally. Just read what's being modified by dist-upgrade before you accept the changes.

See: git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/Upgrade-to-Devuan
Replace XFCE with MATE and use whatever display manager you like. Don't restart if you get errors.

Just got v231 with my updates on Arch today. Thank you based Lennart

They're Spanish not mexicans.

You fucking shills are pathetic, muh enhanced security features muh buzzwords you cocksucking kikes