"according to my calculations, I blahblahblahblahblahblah…."

Which part pisses you off the most, though?

And then the explanation actually is really easy to understand.

I hate it worse when it isn't even something complicated at all, like it's junior high level biology or some shit.

find a show that doesn't have that line. it's the wilhelm scream of dialogue.

Some things should stay a mystery.

The "according to my calculations" part, because like said the actual explanation is retardedly simple.

I know we're on a board that discusses comics and cartoons that are aimed mostly at children and young adults, but even as a kid I found that sort of shit patronizing.

I really hate when it's a simple science word, and the stupid character repeats it back. Like, if I recall, in the Relic (it's shitty horror movie, don't bother looking it up if you never saw it) a cop is told something involving the hypothalamus, so, as if he's written by Bendis, he asks:
NIGGER YOU KNOW WHAT HE FUCKING SAID. And if you're an adult, you should know that's part of the brain, even if you have to ask what that part of the brain does. It's frustrating.

While repetitive, it's not hard to see why it's used so fucking often.

It's painful to see the retarded shit writers come up with when they want to sound smart.

I haven't seen a Candlejack picture sinc

Seriously, this shit is fucking awful, it's just crin

Problem is dumb writers don't know how to write smart people. So they usually sound like kids who think they're smart (IE, totally obnoxious).

I'm pretty sure some shows recognise it's an awful cliche and have something like "According to my calculations, shit is fucked."

Worst part is when they clearly don't understand what the hell they're talking about, either.
My brother's been watching this shit show called Limitless (not the movie, haven't watched the movie. The show of the same name), and they do this shit all the time.

I fucking hate the Status Quo.

I like how Futurama had actual science in it.

Don't forget Globetrotter Math, complete with a novel proof of their body-swapping solution.

I also love how the professor would say science mumbo jumbo, that was obviously bullshit.
Instead of trying to make it sound real, they always went in the opposite direction

Don't even get me fucking started on the Relic movie. It's based on the book of the same name, co-authored by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, is much better than the movie, and I'm not saying that as a "book is always better" faggot.

That happened in X-Men: Evolution, and it pissed me off.

All shows have science in them. It's just usually very trivial, commonly known science like the fact that gravity exists or that plants need sunlight.

Hopefully, in the future, scientific literacy will expand to the point that knowing that light has a speed will no longer be something that makes non-high-school-dropouts pleased with themselves for knowing.

Actual science nerds know all the better to not bother with actual science except for in-jokes and deliberately make it amusingly nonsensical.

fuck off

>>>Holla Forums

Not even a science buff, but….

Is the Wilhelm scream a dead horse or is it still a charming and nostalgic yet ironic cliche?

Is it more a trope or a cliche?
Sage for double posting

Door-to-door or from a stand in front of the grocery store?

Unfortunately realistic.

Alternatively:
SU is shit. This happens constantly with every character, because the mid-20-year-olds writing this show are all self-obsessed pieces of shit that only think about themselves. My sister's like one of these fucks.

Tbf, when someone's acting like a cunt, they still get called out for it generally

Have you watched SU, user?
The most you're gonna get is 'th… that was kinda mean…' but then their feelings get validated and everything's just dandy and they never apologize for being a dumb cunt.

I was always fond of sci fi that assumes future tech will just be the tech of the time but bigger.

NO ONE saw miniaturisation of electronics coming. Nobody. You can't exactly future-proof your works unless you go retro-universe like Ed, Edd n Eddy or Archer, or period piece it, but writing a show set in the modern day without acknowledging modern technology is impossible.

Well, Lapis thinks it was Peridot's fault that she spent 1000 years trapped under the sea. Breaking her recorder is nothing compared to that.

But Peridot is still best gem. It's pretty telling that the former villain is actually the nicest of the bunch.

Actually, Lapis just hates Peridot for helping capture her and working with Jasper. If anything, Lapis should hate the CGs more than just Peridot, but nope.
Peridot best gem indeed.

If the initial complicated calculation is obtuse enough, I can tolerate that one. But it reminds me of another related cliche that bugs me much more.

>nerd: "according to my calculations, with the blah blah 7.9243 meters away, and the wind blowing precisely (some speed), and the thing I intend to throw weighing exactly (whatever,) I merely have to throw this exactly (some speed) at a release angle of (some ridiculous precision)"

Because even though the nerd has no physical talents or particular hand-eye coordination at all, and might even be explicitly bad at such things normally, simply knowing the precision needed is all that matters, right?

Just once I'd like to see that setup happen and then totally fail because being able to do the math is a totally different skill from actually executing the initial physical action precisely enough, not to mention even eyeballing the measurements that perfectly in the first place is totally impractical.

I wouldn't hate this cliche so much if it were ever justified without retarded writing.

I would love a cartoon that takes all these cliches, especially the science ones, and blow them completely out of proportion and to hilarious extremes to the point that if you see this in a normal cartoon, you can't watch it with a straight face because this cartoon made fun of this shit so well.

Literally when does this happen?
America is one of the most liberal countries about tattoos. Other countries consider it something only for criminals and have laws about showing them in public.

I like to pretend this cartoon does that.

One piece removed a lot of tats to the point of removing Ace completely from some early scenes. Can't go teaching kids tattoos are ok.

It pretty much does though, the entire show has ironic undertones and they're usually making fun of the concept of episodic repeated formula

Ah, you should have said it was that crap. What hadn't 4kids removed?

They removed a lot of arm tattoos and back ones that were just pictures.

And all the English lettering for good measure

4kids had the weirdest, most absurd standards for cartoon moral purity.

Keep in mind.. That all of those are things that were completely acceptable in disney movies released decades prior.

There's your problem.
Comics and cartoons were allowed to get away with a lot more shit back then.

Can't be letting our kids learn how to read and end up reading some good books instead of our patriotic, censored filth, can we?

I'd say the weird thing is that comics and cartoons got away with that shit THEN.
4Kids started in 2004. Just five years prior, we had Tarzan, which included plenty of blood and gore and death. The movie's villain gets strangled when vines wrap around his neck and he loses his balance, for Christ's sake.
Dragon Ball Z and other extremely violent anime played on Toonami from the 90s all the way till 2008 and still included death and violence, even if they censored the blood.
4Kids was just fucking retarded.

And now Japan's doing all the censoring so 4Kids doesn't even have to. Can't be showing those little gooks any kind of blood or smoking in adult cartoons! Probably scared of getting bombed when the SJWs inevitably rise to power and become leaders of the Western nations.

Not trying to say that 4Kids was all that good, but you have to keep one major thing in mind. Pretty much every anime 4Kids has done was broadcasted on local stations, as in, not cable. Which I will say is stupid, since a lot of American/Canadian shows were getting away with so much shit on local stations it wasn't funny but if you watch some Yu-gi-oh convention videos, the voice actors constantly get some autists yelling at them about the censorship or at least asking them for the thousandth time about it. And the local stations' standards and practices are likely what forced 4Kids into making their dubs as clean as possible for various markets, especially the Bible Belt.

vid related; 4Kids did have a lot of fun too.

Also…

Yea… they can't anymore, they've filed for bankruptcy years ago. Not that it matters, the anime craze has long since been over besides Attack on Titan and the rest of it is either moefaggots or nostalgiafaggots jacking off over old 90s anime with the odd good anime that isn't getting any Western exposure since it doesn't appeal to weebs or normies, Like Mushishi.

Weird thing is, 4kids also produced the TMNT cartoon at the time, which pushed the envelope and got at least one episode baned.

4kids played a good part in killing it. One Piece is DBZ-level popular in Japan but no one liked the dub.

No crosses either, it seems. Tokyo Mew Mew/Mew Mew Power had a character who was actually a Christian, and had a cross-whip weapon thing. All the crosses got edited so that they were sticks or something even when the character is actually praying. In a church.

What the fuck is that?

Add
to that. In pokemon, they replaced rice balls with sandwiches

Honestly, I think DBZ was the one of the few anime that was ever destined to be popular over here. It managed to be popular despite all the weird dubbing choices and censorship that happened to it.

And by your logic, Fairy Tail, an anime that has never had to deal with censorship at all in the West is still getting bent over in popularity compared to DBZ. On top of that, DBZ was put on local stations, and it faced heavy censorship just like YGO and Pokemon.

Really, if it isn't either like DBZ or Non Non Biyori, then the normies or autists aren't gonna care for it. 4Kids did fuck anime in a big way, but so did actual censors and US standards for whats acceptable in our kids' media. Plus the lack of love for any anime that dares to be different.

Or said the rice balls were jelly donuts

DBZ was popular because DB was already a hit, and even when they censored it, they'd still have just a split second of Launch sticking her middle finger up, or Bulma showing her bare tits.
The dub itself was full of great jokes, too. Embed related.

Raine Dog, a classic webcomic by transsexual D.C. "Dana" Simpson.

Of what? I remember guns, death, and little boy peen all throughout DB and DBZ.

There's a cut version and an uncut version. The cut version mostly censors blood.

Hell changed to hfil is the big one I remember.

Is that mask smirking?

If that's not genius, I don't know what is.

Some light stuff is all
Like keeping all the titles of the gods in Japanese to avoid having to acknowledge that they are gods.

Okay, I have to ask . . .

Was anyone here convinced (back in day) that those rice balls were even jelly donuts?

Even as a kid (and others) knew something wasn't right about them.

More than just the blood. The entire concept of death was censored in DBZ, with any suggestion of killing being changed to sending people "to another dimension".

In one version of the dub, when Tien's arm gets punched off by Nappa, a line was added so he says "Just wait until that grows back"

The Home For Infinite Losers is infamous. Mr Satan became Hercule.

There are substantially fewer episodes in the original American run. The very first episode, about Gohan taking a walk through the woods by himself, was missing entirely. How many were cut or merged due specifically to censorship as opposed to other reasons is up for debate, but ultimately it was still an incomplete run.

When I saw this happen in both Monster Rancher and Pokémon, I knew someone was messing with me.

Not a cartoon example, but I bloody hated how Kota pulled that on Starkiller in The Force Unleashed when you're about to kill The Emperor.

No DBZ censorship can top THE SHADOW REALM

These magical circular energy blades that when they touch your ankles, teleport your mind to the shadow realm.

What are you trying to accomplish with this post?

Pictured: why The Punisher is superior to any and all capeshit.

I saw this last month and I've never walked away from a movie so dissatisfied.

Are you fucking serious?

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

So, would you prefer sarcarstic or ironic?

I love Frank too, but come on. There's only so much you can do with a vigilante with his skill set before you either derail his character or kill him. Shit, he's practically "capeshit" in his own right.

>ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

You are right about Frank, and about how she should never cross with other capes, but that's not an excuse. That is just a different way of stating how stupid this is.

I didn't remember that. I went to look on the wikia and apparently it did happen, but it also seems that they just pretend no one died. Like someone will get hurt and die but they'll just go 'that smarts…' or something.

That shit actually happens though.

The voice thing seems like it's mostly for the viewer. I imagine that to them the voice sounds the same, since there's no reason for the voices to be switched.

I know that, but it's treating it's audience like they're dumb. I'm sure a kid could figure it out when a character's suddenly acting different from how they normally act. Not to mention they'll be some dialogue bit where someone says "Hey, we switched brains". The show doesn't have to hold the audience's hand that hard with them switching voices too.

Not to mention the show probably misses out on a good moment of one actor trying to imitate another. I'd like to see that.

That's probably why they don't do it.

lmao

What, I can't get mad about that faggot Joker about to get killed only for Batman to whiteknight for him? Fucking bullshit…

That's capeshit for you.