Zsh faggotry

What do you use?

$ timeshell 0,05s
$ timeshell 0,70s

What is this shit. It gets even words when installing "themes" and "plugins".
All i want is a git branch indicator in the prompt.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/sorin-ionescu/prezto
github.com/Tarrasch/antigen-hs
utf8everywhere.org/
chetramey.blogspot.com/
github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/blob/master/plugins/lol/lol.plugin.zsh
heirloom.sourceforge.net/sh.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

shell 0.12s on my zsh.

Most of that literally just the git thing. Just remove that and you'll be good.

I have 0,05s on my zsh, the oh-my-zsh is what fucks things up

That's the only feature i want. I don't care about anything else. Just the branch name in the prompt.

Mine is maybe because it must parse a fat .zshrc

Mine is maybe because it must parse a fat .zshrc>>627060

shell 0.00s with no .zshrc

0.13s with oh-my-zsh

Got the git plugin enabled? If yes, explain what you did please.

ohmyzsh is bloated to shit
Maybe try:
github.com/sorin-ionescu/prezto (seems dead)

I use github.com/Tarrasch/antigen-hs with everything else custom handpicked so zsh is bearable on my shitboxes.

Thanks user, antigen-hs looks good.

Yes, it's enabled by default right?

plugins=(git history-substring-search)

I didn't change anything that I know of.

Weird. I have an i5-2520M, URxvt, idle system, fresh oh-my-zsh installation, only "git" as an enabled plugin. 0,57s is a hefty difference.

Remember that it's only a plugin manager, not a full config. I got my handpicked shit from prezto/oh-my-zsh and the internet.

The one thing that's causing 99% of the slowdown in a git directory is that dirty file indicator. It has to read every single directory, recursively, just to display one character in the prompt. Turn that shit off if you don't need it.

It's too bad the prezto dev seems to be off duty, people still use that and the PRs are just accumulating...

Why do people use zsh? Doesn't it use utf-8? What are the benefits here, because from what I understand it seems potentially harmful. I usually switch back to bash in the newer Arch liveboots.

Yeah that is a pretty major difference. You probably have better hardware than me too. I am also using URxvt. My CPU is just an AMD Phenom II X4 975. I have an SSD with my root directory on it, but my home directory where my .zshrc is located is on a regular HDD.

tcsh master race
zsh is cool too

Are you calling UTF-8 harmful?

I did say potentially, but I'm asking in the first place because I don't really know. I noticed newer Arch liveboots ship with zsh and I don't really understand why when bash works just fine.

Cryllic characters being identical to certain Latin characters is an example I've seen posted before.

Bash Lives Matter

UTF-8 is generally considered the least harmful Unicode encoding, including by cat-v.

That's caused by software thinking text uses one of the more harmful unicode encodings instead of UTF-8. It's not really a danger with terminals.

What are you doing now? Complaining when they get actual work done without affirmative action or other SJW bullshit?

I have everything on a SSD, even the repo im trying it in, but i've figured it out now i think:

In an empty folder, i have 0,06s. In ~ (no .git present), i have 0,12s. And in git repos, it gets slower the bigger they are. It must be what said.

Anyway im uninstalling it again, it feels sluggish and dirty to me.

Wrong way, everything except UTF-8 considered harmful utf8everywhere.org/
Zsh has better auto completion (if you turn it on), many configuration options, plugins (syntax highlighting etc.), more syntactic structures and automatic abbreviations(type "paki", hit space, get "sudo pacman -S ").

chetramey.blogspot.com/

oh, look! kikes/sjws all the way down

Thanks for the replies, I think I misunderstood zsh. I'll have to read a bit more into it.

Does this make Brian Fox bad somehow?

Even if it did, the Bourne Again Shell is still the industry standard after decades because it's fucking well made and maintained. Identity politics are a fucking waste of time.

I use ksh93. Supports unicode, doesn't do that dumb thing bash and zsh do where they kill backgrounded processes when you close the controlling terminal, and has tab completion on par with zsh.

Just...make sure you set -o emacs when you start using it. The default line editing is weird.

Man, aren't I a tard. I meant this for but I guess it fits here too.

But that's logical, since the terminal spawns the shell, which spawn the job.
Any reason you're not using mksh, byt the way?

Are you talking about SIGHUP? That's just telling processes that the controlling terminal is going away. It's up to them to choose whether to react to it.

setopt NO_HUP in zsh

Install grml's zsh config, fast, not too configurable but has git support and nice completions.

In Arch Linux you literally have to do
$ sudo pacman -S grml-zsh-config

Oh wow a real live walking stereotypical Fucking Moron Arch Ricer, I thought people like you were a myth that only existed in unfunny shitpost images

I thought the moron Arch ricers who had no idea what they were doing installed zsh and oh-my-zsh then only used them for things bash (or even fucking ash and dash) would handle just as well, without understanding what advantages zsh might have.

That terminal looks very pretty. Is all of the fancy stuff something zsh does? I usually use ash, so I know jack shit about zsh's features.

The bash man page as a PDF (man bash -t | ps2pdf - - >bash.pdf) is 64 pages. This completely defeats the purpose of a man page.

>>>/g/

The prettiness' prompt part's performed by zsh.

Bash deserves a full manual. Just because the technical term for it is a "man page" doesn't mean it has to fit on a page. It's working within the limitations of Unix.

I use fish for syntax coloring and the completion but don't like that it's not POSIX compliant, is zsh worth switching to?

Why? What do you want to do that fish doesn't let you?

I ended up switching from fish to zsh because I like doing on-the-fly shell hocus pocus that fish is not advanced enough for, but the syntax coloring and completion plugins I found are significantly worse than fish's. I'd say that it's worth switching if you end up launching other shells interactively to do things fish doesn't let you.

Lack of POSIX compatiblity was not really an issue. Fish's syntax is a bit limited, but what there is is better than POSIX.

The canonical Bash manual is the GNU info one anyway :^)

Shits bloated af last I tried. Rather use fish or just bash instead of fucking framework for managing a config file.

Fuck off retard, what have you contributed to the conversation?

eshell

I use zplug. I find it really easy to work with, though, I have never compared it with antigen-hs.

Bash doesn't have a Texinfo manual, actually.

Actually antigen-hs is not even a proper plugin manger, it's glorified git clone, exactly what I needed/wanted. I wrote a thing that mostly does the same in ~90 lines Python2 (portability). It's not really comparable to zplug.

How do I get my prompt to have the colored arrows like that?

I'm a Slackware user; it comes preinstalled so I use it.

sh, ksh93, and pdksh don't require me to tell it not to do this. I'm very lazy and so when I noticed it when trying out zsh (and then bash) after using pdksh for a while on one of my machines I just shrugged and chsh'd to ksh.

typical zsh users

github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/blob/master/plugins/lol/lol.plugin.zsh
Seriously?

I use fish because it's more nifty than bash, but I don't have to invest time for it to be more nifty than bash. Also, I avoid oh my fish like the plague.

So your only argument against it is that there is a plugin for redditors that just aliases a bunch of stupid redditor shit to commands? Wow you have completely changed my mind about this software based on that 1 plugin that isn't enabled by default.

t-shirts with jeans are prole-tier garbage. zsh is a try-hard blunder. also, that shirt and boot-cut hip-hugging denim is irritating the fucking shit out of me. is that solarize? hipster niggers.

Is there anything specifically wrong with oh my fish or is it just generic bloat? I was thinking about switching to fish.

heirloom.sourceforge.net/sh.html