What to do?

I wasted my time in computer science classes for the past two years, learning useless Java and never creating any programs that actually did shit. School has taught me nothing. I probably can't even install arch. The only thing I've ever done that was somewhat useful is learn Ruby, and make a simple chat server from a tutorial. I want to actually learn how to use computers, learn bashscripting and how Linux actually works. What resources/practices can I use to learn more about Holla Forums shit? Please help, anyone who has taken comp sci classes can relate on how they teach you nothing, so please, help me learn something.

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
flossmanuals.net/command-line/
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
web.mit.edu/alexmv/6.037/
youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PLAA97f8v5JX5WRZ6DUBSsogXlG4biWinL
gnu.org/software/hurd/documentation.html
bofh.nikhef.nl/events/FOSDEM/2015/devroom-microkernels/hurd__BAD_AUDIO.mp4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Find babby tutorials for bash, read and apply tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/ then learn how and why you should always be POSIX sh compatible.

I wonder if computer science programs ever put together a class solely about learning all about GNU/Linux stuff. Or even a short community college course or something. Seems like something that would have big demand to me.

You have to be self-motivated and make stuff, college is just for the piece of paper. You're in a Linux environment where you have hundreds of millions of lines of code configured to build where you can easily look at how it's put together and make changes so there's really no need to ask how to do it, you just do it and learn as you go.

This. Life after college is where the real learning takes place, and in the real world, if you aren't learning, you're dying.

Good CS curriculums pretty much require you know your way around Unix, OP just did a worthless shit-tier one is all.

Hell, a good CS curriculum contains a fair bit of OS architecture, not as much as CE but still way more than the average programmer knows.

THIS

Also this, just install and use a gnu distribution on a day to bay basis like gentoo or a completely free distribution on this list
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Introduction to the command line
flossmanuals.net/command-line/

Read this
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
web.mit.edu/alexmv/6.037/

If you want a worthy language to learn choose one of these:
-Assembly
-Lisp
-C

Introduction to lisp:
youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PLAA97f8v5JX5WRZ6DUBSsogXlG4biWinL

If you want to know more about operating systems
I suggest to look at the hurd project since the project is "ahem" still in development you can follow how it evolves and learn from it.

gnu.org/software/hurd/documentation.html

Fosdem 2015
bofh.nikhef.nl/events/FOSDEM/2015/devroom-microkernels/hurd__BAD_AUDIO.mp4

Pretty much sums up my CS experience. I was taught mostly the crap you mentioned, but was expected to know how to do stuff like without being told. Good thing I practice a lot on my free time, because I think it's fun. What the hell were you doing on your free time that you don't know shit after all these years?

the classes teach you the concepts, it's up to you to actually put them to use.

LOL

How can you not install Arch? In 2 years of compsci, did you never bother learning to read a wiki page?

Shitposting on /g/

Thanks fam, will look back into this when I get home to my desktop

I've taken a few years of CS at a university and it was a lot of shilling windows and visual studio

Skip CS classes, just get the books from the library, or even better, if they offer PDF from the lecture just read those. I found it much faster to study on my own, the classes were too slow for my taste. Use the extra time to learn the stuff they don't reach you in school. Of course when I say to skip classes I mean to skip the lectures, you should still do the homework for exercise.

Go learn Perl. You'll have to do it yourself, schools aren't educated enough to know what it is.

shodan.me/books, or just torrent the entire library, g.sicp.me/books.
Places to start
You can find SICP in the library, the lectures on youtube.
I'm not sure if this is in the library, but see if you can find a book called "How do it know?" It's a book to show even the most inbred downie how a computer works at the hardware level. It's not extensive, but it works as primer.

have you tried installing it and using it at all or do you just want someone to spoonfeed you knowledge? uni puts you in a position where you can learn stuff if you want but it's never going to teach you everything or much at all if you just do the minimum

yeah, it's not actually hard, it's just needlessly complicated. doing it teaches you a bunch about how linux works. if you're not used to linux though, try starting with mint and just using it for a while and you'll learn a shitload. go get a vps as well. they cost

you are insane. It's very hard to write anything but trivial scripts in POSIX sh. There's a reason why bash is so popular, it has useful new features.

this is probably the best advice you will get from this thread and it won't be a technical one: be patient and practice a lot. You probably learned many useful things from your Java classes (pun intented) that will apply to many other languages, and you will never fucking end learning new things

Take for instance. Those are good things to learn, but it will take you over a year under heavy work to even complete all those materials, let alone master them

that depends on the university. I did take a Unix course and most professors in sophomore and senior years preferred GNU/Linux even if most of them weren't real luminaries with it. But I never got rid of die-hard clueless Windows and OSX-using classmates who lowered the bar a lot

it's Hal Abelson

Sounds to me like you're such a shit programmer even Pajeet outcodes you. Nobody's fault but your own.

GNU/Linux skills are something literally everyone can benefit from.

First mistake is studying comp sci. If you had finished in early to mid 2000's you might've had a shot.

I studied telecommunications engineering and had like 3 dedicated Linux courses and one course that wasn't really about it but covered iptables firewalls, OpenVPN and basic server security. UNIX was actually one of the main pillars of my major along with electronics, programming, computer networks and business systems.

Can you give examples of things you can't write in POSIX sh? I manage most of the time.

Bash has useful new features, and I use them when I need them, but it isn't necessary for most scripts, even non-trivial ones.

Figures you would need a dedicated course to make that piece of shit work right.