Fuck Touchscreens

Who else hates touchscreens and wishes we'd have QWERTY only phones?

I'm here raging that normies keep buying smartphones and yet here I am wishing they were gone.

Other urls found in this thread:

wwwpub.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html
crackberry.com/blackberry-will-discuss-new-devices-next-week
archive.is/gPnqI
pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
vimeo.com/116787124
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tiny physical keyboards suck just as much and makes the phone needlessly bulky/heavy.

Get a laptop if you want to use a computer.

The nokia asha 302 is a fine example that qwerty phones are great. I just want to type messages as fast as i can on a pc.

Cry harder.

It's a ploy.

I wish flip phones were back.

coolest thing about them is you can text some1 without watching the screen

Pic related is probably the best option right now. It's still a touchscreen, but the keys are also a trackpad. It's slowly become my go-to for simple CLI jobs, since I can just SSH in anywhere pretty easily and not worry about having to flub around with a touchscreen android job. Still runs all my normie games pretty well, too.

small keyboards in general suck ass

Blame Apple for this.

Imagine a company skimping on hardware at every possible turn, even going so far as to remove mechanical buttons, something quite unheard of at the time. When other companies saw that normies settled for this, it became the norm.

When you let a company like Apple set the bar for any product, expect the status quo to be unbearable.

this tbh

I don't think there's any reason to use QWERTY when it's not a standard sized keyboard. We can definitely do better than that shitty layout when not confined by the restrictions of tradition and keyboard conformity.

Touchscreens in place of buttons are fucking cancer of course.

I expected them to add physical keys on the back of phones and we'd have the best of both worlds once adjusted to typing with palms facing up. Dunno why that never happened.

Too much of a jump for normies. That, and Apple shilled touchscreens with multi-billion dollar advertising campaigns. Over and over again, the idea was that buttons were "so lame lolxd"

we need some obscure phone maker to implement this

Imagine what could have been.

We almost had all this when smartphones started becoming mainstream, then everyone had to copy the iPhone.

Droid 5 NEVER EVER
;_;

It sure is a missed opportunity that qwerty phones aren't as advanced as touchscreen phones. I wonder if we'll ever see a great qwerty phone again.

I have expected the same out of video game controllers for a long time but I'm still waiting.

I'm hoping this thing is comfortable.

I can't stand touch keyboards. But I other than BlackBerry Q10 I haven't found any decent alternatives

me too, I never understood how normies like to touch shit with their hands. A screen is here to look at, not to be touched by your hands.

Touchscreens don't work reliable enough for me. For a while I thought: maybe it's because I don't have enough body fat, or that my skin is somehow less conductive than normal. But then I watched other people interact with touchscreens, and discovered that everybody has the exact same problems as me.

They are simply not bothered by them, or to dumb to notice them. Or, they are used to their shit not working, and can't even imagine a world where things work as they should.

This. My dad just tried to show me a video on his iPhone of my brother auctioning off things, but wasted about 30 seconds fingerfucking the unresponsive screen.

Touchscreen keyboards are shit, but so are those tiny phone keyboards as well. At least with touchscreen keyboards they are only there when you need them and don't have moving parts that can break.

If you are using a phone for a lot of typing you are doing it wrong. Phones are for typing in a phone number, a short message of one or two sentences and that's it. Get a laptop instead.

me, I don't even know why the fuck people keeps buying them.

That's partly the reason why I never jumped on the smartphone bandwagon. :/

Because normies think they are cool. I once tried to explain to a normie why I don't like it, but they gave me all this bullshit about "whatever works for you, man!"

I wish we had DVORAK only phones
and computers for that matter
just make QWERTY illegal already
it's a public health risk

dvorak is the worst layout for touchscreens as it makes it much harder for software to guess your fat fingered mistake when the main keys are clustered. Querty turned out to be a good idea afterall.

Probably because they're suited to QWERTY mistakes.

The AOSP keyboard corrects my mistakes pretty well. Also, I am not fat. Try pressing the right letters next time.

Tell me, why do you feel the need to have a keyboard on your phone?

You mean DVORAK for idiots?

Touch interfaces in general are unresponsive, unreliable shit.

Navigating responsive, well-designed menus using a d-pad and select/cancel buttons is far faster and more enjoyable than anything I've seen done with a touchscreen.

It's infesting laptops too. Nobody wants to buy a bulky, ugly-ass ThinkPad packed full of functionality anymore, everybody just wants a sober, exquisite, Apple-like ultrabook that doesn't even have any fucking USB ports because Wireless Is The Future (despite wireless technology being very much the opposite of Plug It and It Just Werks™).

you're obviously not a write fag. I'm always writing notes to myself in a simple text editor and sending it back to one of my real computers with KDE Connect. Sometimes I even try to write parts of my book on my phone if I think I have the time.

studies have shown over and over that dvorak has no benefits. dvoraktards are even worse than vegans and gluten hypochondriacs, at least they get kudos from their retarded friends.

The Asian market is a major reason companies have gotten so wholeheartedly behind touch screens. A push button keyboard is great for alphabetic languages, but good luck using it to draw your characters. The alternative is to introduce multiple models of phone, but the smartphone market is so saturated that it probably isn't worth the investment. The real question here is; why do you want a smartphone in the first place? Mobile email seems great for about a week, and then it starts making you absolutely miserable. You can SSH if you absolutely need to, but if you are on call constantly, why not just invest in a laptop?

[[[CITATION NEEDED]]]
Either way, my carpal tunnel syndrome has been getting much better since I switched to programmer DVORAK.

seriously nigger? Not having to look at the screen and constantly backtrack to correct mistakes when writing is a huge plus.

The only good thing about touchscreens is that they're good for scrolling and dragging stuff

Xperia Pro 2 when?

wwwpub.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html

odds are you are experiencing the placebo effect and your CTS would have gotten better if you'd gone gluten-free too as long as you believed in it.

The author literally says that it is true that you have to move your hands less.
He's just saying that it won't necessarily improve your typing speed.

I used to be like that, but once I got one I saw the benefits:

The downsides would be that you can't control the phone without seeing it (from pocket) and if the screen is fucked, you're fucked.
I do wish the market had more variety, though, both in OSes and type of phone (I still love the old dumbphone style that had 12 keys and was like a rock, they could be so resilient... If there was one with popular support (i.e., having access to most common programs, I mostly use whatsapp with friends, sadly) I'd drop mine in a heartbeat) (resilience here is what I most need, and these phones were 10/10)
But if you don't use your phone in situation where it could break (i.e., you aren't a californian suburbanite), the screen should suffice.
Button overlay I agree is shit, but I don't game in the cellphone, and if you do, fuck you, you aren't using your phone as you should.

why?

Because it's made to be easy to learn for QWERTY users while still being a step up.

touchscreens make more money.

But fuck them, qwert all the way

Keyboard-based layouts only make sense with an actual standard size keyboard.

Whats wrong with not using a iPhone, MacFag

Nigger what?

East Asian languages are usually input through some phonetic system and then converted to the intended representation in software, with a list of candidate conversions provided to the user to disambiguate among multiple possible conversions.

THIS EXISTS

IF you don't like that then the Company is Holding a Meeting on possible new Phones.

crackberry.com/blackberry-will-discuss-new-devices-next-week
archive.is/gPnqI

Blackberry truly is my greatest ally.

someone in other thread suggested this

I seriously think its a good idea for keep having your phone and properly type/game in it when needed

Debian+Touchscreen+Keyboard+SIM Card
pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

so close but no cigar

dropped

I don't like touchscreens and keep my phone resting on a microfiber cloth, so that I can desmudge it after coming home.

Teency weency qwerty keyboards are crap too, being impossible to type on with my man hands and halving the screen size.

I think the basic problem is that phones are universally garbage and I use mine as little as possible.

I like the phone, but isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

what the fuck do you want to use on a portable device?

Nothing but a stallman-signed, RISC-V-based, hand-built pocketwarmer.

yeah I know, but that's not even a phone, you cant put it to the ear without looking like a retard

also its too expensive
I love the work that EvilDragon did with his board/manufacturing, I subscribed his newsletter and I've seen him tore apart every problem by himself, since hardware quircks to plastic printer errors to driver software, pretty impressive

I'd love to support him by just buying one and fiddle with it, but I'm a poorfag :(

Retard.

time to get a job.

>>>/suicide/

Retard.

I don't really hae touchscreens.I just hate how big phones are getting these days.

I hate this so much. I can tolerate touch screen keyboards since Swype can function well enough, but I do miss my mini keyboards since they don't require some form of approximation and auto correction to function.

this video will magically make Holla Forums defend touch interfaces.

vimeo.com/116787124

don't watch it if you want to shit on touch interfaces ever again.

get bent, faggot

Really wish this had an embedded stylus.

It sort of is, I have one myself, there are grooves in the back that make holding it comfortable. Makes SSHing a breeze. Plus the battery life is rad, recharge it maybe once a week. Plus a portable GNU/Linux terminal with Wifi built in is dope

Meh. You could just keep one in your poocket. Either way, they'll be completely out of business in two years, leaving you SOL for support for your dead-end product.