Untitled

twitter.com/PixelBuff/status/752284656536588288

Marvel has become so lazy they're using 3D software to make their panels.

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/article/2002/11/13/stan-lee-sues-marvel-over-spider-man-profits
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You know what was a great movie?
A Scanner Darkly.

What's new.

Mainstream comics have done it before.

And really, does this surprise you? The art is easily the most expensive and time consuming part of comics, so it makes sense for them to put efforts into faster and cheaper.

Remember, quantity > quality.

Blame the yanky faggots who set 300 Peoples to work on one comic.

God I wish that were true. Just imagine how better comics would be if that were the case.

I think the current system where the artist has to draw every single issue, every single month, on a fucking franchise comic, is fucking retarded. They should really be employing multiple artists, thus allowing for better quality as the artists alternate every month.

The fact that the big two don't pay artists enough to hire on assistants, thus creating a comics apprenticeship programs that allows new artists to enter the comics industry after learning the ropes from an already established figure, is also retarded.

Very progressive

Not even webcomics 10 years ago were so lazy.

Do artists and writers even get anything if their work is later used in the movie scripts or whatever? It seems like such a thankless job, I can see why it's full of lazy people and ideologues now.

They're supposed to. I think from the 80s onwards comic book companies have gotten better at giving people royalties if their work gets used for films or television shows or video games, or if they make action figures and stuff like that.

They don't always get their due. Even fucking Stan Lee had to take Marvel to court because whoever at Marvel wasn't paying him his royalties for Spider-Man, and Stan had a contract. Most of these creators don't have actual contracts.

Seriously, I swear Marvel was not this bad 10 years ago. How did it get this way? At what point did Marvel go Looney Tunes? Who's to blame?

They were still really bad 10 years ago, but they just somehow found ways to get worse instead of better. It's been a steady decline for a long damn time.

Well I won't argue that Marvel was at peak creativity ten years ago, but at least they had actual art. They had books drawn by people who could actually draw.

This, what the fuck is this?

Generally they either don't get shit or barely anything if they created something for big two. Marvel and DC own all intellectual properties.

Anyone who has some talent and half a brain, creates something of their own, and either goes with self-publish rout or pitch their ideas to Image, Dark Horse, or to anyone other than Marvel and DC. Creators getting screwed over by the big two was the main reason why Image has been created in the first place.

Yeah, that is true. The writing was still shit back then, but at least they were wasting talented artists on it. Now they have maybe a handful of decent artists, and a lot of embarrassing shit.

Shit, I can understand using this kind of thing to draft panels perfectly, but the final product?

Only good stuff Marvel has made in decades has been freelance writers with freelancer artists.

Are all those collected in the smaller digest format, like the Marvel Adventures stuff? I've been meaning to get them, I figure I will soon.

typical

Are people only just NOW realizing that Deodato uses Poser and tries to hide it by covering half of his figures in shadow? This is the same guy who had a studio set up in the '90s for other artists to ape his style with no credit so he could get paid for more books. Granted he claims that no, he totally wanted the artists credited honest but I don't buy it.

A race to the bottom.

Marvel's numbers got really bad. At the same time, the market was flooded with really shitty people who worked cheap. Now they're working more books for less money, and Greg Land went from being the worst to being the norm. Diamond is a fucking extortion racket as always and Disney, despite having their own supply chain, still uses them for who knows what fucking reason.

Which is the thing. Disney COULD solve all of Marvels problems with a handwave. A lot of people back in the day hoped that's what would happen. They know, they just don't care.

it looks like a shitty dating sim. especially when they both look directly at the reader

Of course they don't care. They didn't buy Marvel for the comics. The comics are just an annoying little bonus. They bought Marvel for the IPs so they could make gangster money.

At least in the 90s Deodato could sort of draw, even if he was yet another Jim Lee clone.

When did artists get so fucking lazy?

They didn't get lazy. There's still tons of very talent artists out there, but mainstream comics cannot accommodate them because their working conditions are intolerable. The deadlines are draconian, the editorial is insane, the pay is crap, and you have to suck a lot of cock to get there.

With the state of the industry the way it is, it's simply not worth it to get a job with them.

*talented.

>what is a fill-in artist?
It's actually getting pretty damn rare that one artist stays on book for more than one arc these days. Also, you do know that the average mangaka doesn't make enough to cover assistant costs in Nippon, right?

Generally no. Most freelancers aren't in the best position to fret over royalties for characters they created under a work-for-hire contract. The ones who do spend time on their own projects to shop around. Ask Mark Millar

If I recall correctly, Stan Lee took Marvel to court because Perlmutter tried to get him to accept less money. It's detailed in Marvel The Untold Story.

Nope, they actively tried to avoid paying Stan

ew.com/article/2002/11/13/stan-lee-sues-marvel-over-spider-man-profits

They generally do get paid. Most movie companies generally want to avoid a splashy lawsuit so they pay the creators some pittance. Alan Moore has turned down millions in royalties for films based on V For Vendetta and Watchmen.

Even if the studios think there could potentially be a lawsuit, they'll pay out. For example, in Batman Begins the Tumbler is a proto-type vehicle created by Wayne Enterprises that Batman uses as his Batmobile. In Detective Comics #0 it's established that Batman's first Batmobile, at least, was a Wayne Enterprises experimental police vehicle that never saw production. Chuck Dixon, who wrote the issue of Detective Comics, argued that Nolan and Co borrowed his idea, since it was previously established that Batman built his own cars with or without the help of Alfred. Warner Bros agreed that he had a point and so they cut him a cheque.

Where's the "SHIEEET IMA GUD GIRL WHO GOES TA CHURCH I DINDU NUFFIN" edit?

A couple of men just escaped from prison in a truck, pursued immediately by several police cars, and she decides to swoop in with her Patlabor ripoff and fucking murder them in a horrific crash.

What a hero.

This shit is why Tony Stark was right and vigilantes need training and accountability, so they don't do totally retarded, reckless shit like this.

(It's also why we need better writers)

What the fuck is going on here?

More doesn't = better quality, in fact that many artists on one book won't guarantee consistent quality across the panels. Comics already divide up the work between the main artist who sets up the panels/sketches, line artist, and then color/render. Some artists are able to do all of them and therefore cost extra. The best comic artists who can do that and perform on a deadline are expensive, and Marvel just dosen't care enough to pay them.

Bravo Bendis

This has been done before. Sometimes it looks passable with some good editing, but with something like this it can end up looking like a bad Garry's Mod comic.

What a beautiful chin.

Holy fucking shit.

I'm indifferent to Liefeld (though he's gotten better since his Captain America days), but flipping hell, that's just insane.

Okay, I'm curious . . . How do you tell it was made with 3D software?

Is it the sheer amount of perfect edges and straight lines on background objects?

Fucking hell Liefeld, that's crazy risky.

Pay attention to the truck's wheels at

Also, there's shit like included pic.

This explains so much