Batman V Superman

I finally got around to watching this turd, and god damn is 27% too high a rating for it. This movie isn't just bad, it is a perversion.

The entire fucking movie is so fucking grimdark it makes the christopher nolan trilogy look like goddamn adam west batman. JIMMY OLSEN IS SHOT IN THE HEAD IN THE FIRST FIFTEEN MINUTES.

I was also fucking disgusted by just how many things from The Dark Knight Returns snyder ripped off. It goes far beyond "homage" the way it's done.
>Superman inhales kryptonite gas after it's sprayed in his face this happens in almost exactly the same way as in DKR if you replace the kryptonite arrow with Batman's grenade

There were even other things from the book that Snyder may have even added unintentionally.

This is not "paying homage". This may as well be plagiarism. Synder also DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HE'S RIPPING OFF. None of the scenes from DKR that were butchered to be put in this movie retain their original purpose.

Not to mention Batman blatantly murdering people and when Superman tells Lois the kryptonian symbol of hope means nothing because krypton is dead.

They also began foreshadowing Superman's return before his coffin was even in the fucking ground by making the coffin black and Superman's symbol silver to match the costume he wore when he returned originally.

I cannot fathom a single reason anyone would like this movie unless they're a 15 year old edgelord or Zack Snyder himself. I wouldn't say I enjoyed this movie if you fucking paid me to. It's just so bad.

Also >inb4 slowpoke, I've been putting off watching it because I refuse to pay for this movie

It's Snyder. Did anyone really expect it to be good? Especially when Man of Murder was so shit?

I didn't expect this, god damn it. Man of Murder looks like Citizen Kane next to this filth.

All I can ask at this point is why a kind and loving god would let this film be made.

You say this as if Supes wanted to kill him when he didn't have a choice.

Did you all forget that comic where he executed Zod and two lackeys with Kryptonite?

He's talking about the collateral damage, obviously

We're not even talking about that at this point, BvS so far exceeds MoS in so many awful ways that there's no debate about its quality.

I liked Justice League: War more than Batman V Superman, because I can at least make fun of that movie.

This too.

Oh yeah, I forgot. They did the rifle thing too.

In that story it made sense and wasn't just a gratuitous and pointless addendum to an already overlong fight scene, made to show us that this Superman is hardcore because that's totally what Superman is about.

Are you telling me the director of Watchmen could capture the visual look of a scene, but has no idea how to convey the intended emotional tone or feel? Are you telling me he's a music director who is given too much power on a FILM?

Someone at WB figured "He was good enough to deliver a heartless, visual interpretation of Watchmen, he might as well do the same for DKR". I mean, it's obvious that he very much liked Miller's Batman, but Snyder is a total fucking edgelord, and would add a lot more slow motion and rape to it if he could. Even with a better script, Snyder wouldn't be able to get the performances needed out of most of his actors, and wouldn't know why telling the story a certain way would be better.

Thing is, it's totally baffling why he got these movies. Watchmen bombed. The only hugely successful film he's ever made has been 300 and that was loved for how stupid it was, not because Snyder demonstrated any real prowess as a director - anybody could have made it.

Worst part of the film for me is the fact that EVERYONE speaks in metaphors and 2deep4u philosophical nonsense sentences.Especially the fucking faggot playing Luthor. Ugh.

NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT, SNYDER!

I CALL JIM-HAD ON ALL OF THE BLASPHEMOUS HEATHENS WHO DARE REJECT THE ETERNAL FRIENDSHIP OF OUR PAL JIMMY OLSEN (PBUH).

To reveal the truth to you, that what you love is nothing but soulless product run by hacks. Long gone are the days where anyone actually gave a fuck about comics.

If you think this is bad, just imagine the solo Batman film we're going to get out of this. That's being co-written by GEOFF JOHNS, something who does not like Batman and cannot write smart stories. If you've ever read any of the Earth One Batman books, you know the shit is just starting.

Because he's the only director at WB who makes comic book films that isn't Nolan. If they could've gotten Christopher Nolan to direct this film, they would have. This is how creatively bankrupt Warner is right now.

Maybe he's good at giving head, maybe he blackmailed an exec, maybe he's just a good boy and the studio likes him. I don't know. But instead of taking a chance on better directors, they keep giving Snyder money and licenses to make films off of. Maybe all the other directors just think comic book movies are "beneath them", WB is known for going specifically for the "mah personal vision" types, which is why the quality and tone of their DC movies fluctuate wildly if you look at all of them together. So some exec probably just mistook Snyder's fanboy attitude for some level of competence, when the guy really is only good at directing music videos (the opening montage to Watchmen was the only really good part)

No, it's not really.

Studios don't want competent directors. They want directors that'll obey orders and do what the suits tell them to do.

That's why Snyder has a job directing DC movies. The suits are writing the movies and Snyder is being a boot-licking yes-man by putting them to film.

Didn't Snyder get it due to nepotism? Isn't he married to a woman who has some power at WB?

I thought Nolan didn't want to do superhero films again after Dark Knight. Not that he hated it but more felt it wasn't his thing.

Not that user but I story-timed the first two earth one books of Batman And Teen Titans Earth One last year.

I know from a first hand experience on how terrible Johns is.

He also managed to fuck up the only decent scene in the movie: The Warehouse scene. You have KGBeast Quoting Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye.

Oh that made me salty as fuck. Jimmy never gets a break in these things.

All in All this movie was just one fuck huge trailer for Justice League even though its condensed as fuck Superman is only around two years and they pulled the Death of Superman arc

I have to agree with this. We're definitely in an age where the suits think they're creative. I can imagine the fucking grocery list the suits gave Snyder.

Don't forget now the overseas markets play a factor into movies as well. Can't have certain jokes or scenes if you know China won't get it.

I was there too. It was like a fucking 15 year old wrote a Batman comic.

I miss Schumacher.

I agree that execs put in tons of stupid ideas because they see trends (the entirety of Green Lantern was just to try to make a Marvel movie and failing), but Snyder doesn't need ANY push to thing "dark is better". Sucker Punch was a 90 minute rape scene, Zack has said he would have had Bruce raped in prison if he directed Batman Begins, and 300 had an added rape subplot just for the fuck of it! He's the type of guy who should be directing exploitation films, not superheroes. I think a lot about how the morality of comics and film are so different (comics say murder is bad, film sees murder as heroic and the logical conclusion to most any story), but Snyder goes way beyond that. He's the biggest fucking edgelord to get this kinda budget, he should direct a Shadow the Hedgehog movie.

uh, why can't you just treat these as alternate earths? wasn't the multiverse established precisely to stop the nerds from bitching about their heroes being written "out of character"?

Oh yeah. You can't have a complex plot or anything lest it fly over China's head. You also can't have Asians or Blacks in your film because it might offend them. They like bland action films starrring white guys.

That's a bubble waiting burst.

I'm not defending Snyder, I'm just pointing out that both he and Warner are horribly incompetent when it comes to making movies. All of that political infighting just fucked their ass.

Yeah, they tried to make a Marvel movie, but learned NOTHING from Iron Man. That should've told you that a successful DC cinematic universe just wasn't going to happen.

People expect a definitive take in a centerpiece tentpole franchise?

Because you don't get a new movie every month to suit your taste. Reboot Ghostbusters is another universe, but it was put on screen at the expense of Sony fighting against Ghostbuster 3 getting made, a movie we will NEVER HAVE. So when we live in a time when Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool can get movies that are easy ways to explain to others why we love these characters, why should be settle for Zack Snyder's "personal vision" of Superman? Imagine actually getting some of that heroic feel from the 70s Superman movies, but with the power of modern special effects so he can fight one of his classic villains? Think about it, we NEVER got Byrne's Luthor on the big screen. He was always either over the top Hackman/Spacey or Zuckerberg. I'd like that just once in a theater movie, but if they can't do that sorta thing, at least the execs are hardly aware that the animation department has been doing a good job for decades.

I remember an idea an user came up with. If they wanted to save face and reboot by the time JL releasesm they could say the heroes of the Snyderverse are alternate ones and the main universe ones are out there still.

But knowing the main audience, the multiverse is too confusing for them.

It may happen someday. The entire concept of a shared universe was considered too confusing for movie goers just a decade or so ago. And if Fox and Marvel ever become friends and do a X-Men/Avengers crossover, the easiest way to do things would be just to have both worlds' Scarlet Witches somehow mingle dimensions for a bit. Ya know, unless Fox works an entire deal to reboot the X-Men into the MCU, but I honestly hope that doesn't happen.

I think that Xmen reboot into MCU is gonna happen. Jackman is doing one more film then it'll be likely they will reboot Wolverine into the MCU under a new actor.

You were surprised by this OP? We all knew it was going to be shit. Having it crap all over TDKR is only the icing on top of this shit sunday.

I don't know why they thought Zack Snyder would be a good choice to head this universe. The guy hasn't made a good film since The Dawn of the Dead remake, and even that managed to shit all over the original film and it's purpose.

The saddest thing here is that we won't see a good version of a DCCU for decades after this.

Why would they reboot it into the MCU. Why would Fox willingly give up the only franchise that's making them any goddamn money?

While I don't dispute the truth of this, Snyder's probably fairly expensive. If they just wanted a yes man, they could have gotten someone cheaper who could turn out a product with a similar level of quality (ie any film student). If they wanted someone with experience directing good films, they could have gotten somebody much better on that front as well.

Bottom line, Snyder has his job because of nepotism. He probably sucks great dick.

user, we may never see a good version of the DCCU.

Oh well, at least we'll always have the animated universe, which spanned several shows and lasted over a decade.

We have arrowverse as well.

I think you don't get how the mind of a studio executive works. I've been talking around the industry a bit and it generally goes like this:

An executive is greedy, but also a cowardly little shit. Most of them don't give a damn about the film except as a vehicle for them to get status and money and most of the exceptions just want to say they did something to brag. But the first thing every single one of them wants to do is cover their ass. Most movies go tits up in preproduction, or else have some other problem, and the last thing they want to be is the guy holding the bag and taking the blame. Most movies released at best barely make their cover charge so they also want to be on a position where they can shunt blame if it goes wrong, or take credit if it goes right.

Which is where Zack Snyder came in. Conventional movie wisdom holds that once someone makes one hit film they become a "sure thing", even if every other thing they made was a piece of shit nobody liked. Zack Snyder directed 300, so he was on their shortlist and happened to be free. The fact that Sucker Punch bombed and nobody gave a fuck about Watchmen was irrelevant because in their minds all that mattered was that if blame was being cast around, they got "a hit director" and did their jobs.

Conversley, this is also why the Halo movie has been in development hell for like a decade. Back when LoTR was fresh they wanted Jackson to direct it but Jackson was busy. He basically discovered Neill Blomkamp, who was a wunderkid who'd been doing CGI stuff for years and was directing his own shorts. Even though one of the biggest guys in the industry was backing him up, he WASN'T a sure thing. So that movie fell apart while he went on to make District 9 on a shoestring budget because he already knew how to make movies.

This is also why Deadpool came out at a quarter the budget of Batman vs Superman with no hype but brought in almost as much money with a harsher rating. It was thought of as a cheap throwaway project handed to a VFX guy who happened to like comic books instead of one of the "sure things" executives love. He took that money and said he was amazed how easy directing movies is, considering how much people complained. Meanwhile Warner Bros. is handing Wonder Woman to a woman director who has literally explicitly admitted she has no idea how to use lights and cameras and has no investment in the character, but one of her last movies was up for an oscar so nobody could blame the guy who made the decision to bring her on board.

Eh? I remember his Green Lantern books favorably. Does he not get Batman?

Go reread them and get back to us.

Not him, but all this resentment for Johns I see lately and… I don't care. I didn't even read his stuff, but it eventually lead to the Green Lantern animated series, so I don't mind that the entire comic is just Power Rangers in space or whatever. Even if he's not great, he's a huge step up from Snyder, so his involvement will mean at least SOME improvement for the movies, though it's questionable if it'll be enough to make any of them good. Even the examples of shitty retcons he does would steer the movies far closer to a place they haven't been allowed to be in this post Snyder world. I'd rather they error on the side of a Silver Age fanboy than anyone who might settle on half measures. The DCCU is SHIT so far, with both entries being fucking embarrassing. Something like Suicide Squad might fit the dark feel they have now, but it won't work for the vast majority of the big characters they want to work with down the line.

I just tuned out when he got to that part. It just seemed so fantastical and absurd. And even by 2045, DC won't have TOUCHED the vast majority of really good comic stories.

This is a 10/10 post.

forgive the watermark, firetires needs to get rid of that shit asap

Zack Snyder isn't leaving, BTW. He's still directing Justice League, which indicates that Warner is going through with their darker toned movies.

Now they'll just have a smear of Twinkee cream on them to make faggots like you defend them.

Who could they possibly get to replace him last minute who wouldn't produce a movie just as, if not shittier? Fuck, I get it, Green Lantern fans are always getting jerked around. I know how people felt about the switch from Hal to Kyle back in the day. Hell, there was an organized group that took out ACTUAL ADS imploring DC to bring Hal back (I can only assume Johns was part of that group, but I forget the name of it). But don't pull you're "user's such a shill" dismissive, nonargument shit on me just because you're too angry to make a real case beyond "Johns is a faggot".

Last user I saw doing that had pictures and examples, explained where he was coming from, and made his frustration understood without acting like a baby. The rest of us are having a conversation, if you want to join in, bring more to the table. Because we already know people don't like Johns, but even a few of his haters are happy they pushed him at the movies where he'll possibly be too busy to touch the comics

Comics are a quagmire of shit already, and nobody reads them. People actually watch movies

The name of the group was HEAT: Hal's Emerald Attack Team.

What did BvS even end up taking in at the end? I know they never touched a billion, which should have been easy as fuck. You're right that people actually do watch movies, but that means the bar for success is set a lot higher.

I think once they wrap on Justice League 2 (it is a two part thing, or something, right?) or maybe just part 1, Snyder will be out. Depends how quickly they need to go from making the first movie to the second, but basically once they've reached a point where it's safe to drop him, they will. Maybe they'll let Affleck move up to direct more stuff, since he's gotten critical success he falls into the "sure thing" that execs like.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure this was the ad they put out in Wizard. Ah, I remember when Wizard was a thing…

I'm user; the one you applied to.

Johns hate Batman and does his best to embarrass him throughout the series

You can tell he's had barely-held contempt to writing the books.

I stopped giving a shit when shota Bruce got lifted out of a hole in the ground by bats. That just makes me mad

What did that even mean?

Originally. I heard they just making it one film now.

Or something.

It's a comic book movie for people who don't like comic books.

They don't call it Done With JUSTice for nothin'.

Well, I liked it ok

It's the scene where Bruce falls into the cave and gets spooked by the bats.

But instead of just scaring him they lift him out of it.

The marvel movies are comic book movies for people who don't like comic books.

This is a movie for no one.

It's for Zack Snyder. But just him.

Oh wait, he would want a movie with a lot more rape

But user, this movie is fucking full of rape. Batman KILLS PEOPLE.