I thought about buying quality headphones because my current ones sucks. I'm just looking for plain headphones...

I thought about buying quality headphones because my current ones sucks. I'm just looking for plain headphones, no headset, no wireless, no shit - just headphones.
What would you recommend? What are you using and why shouldn't I buy some K701?

Other urls found in this thread:

nwavguy.blogspot.fr/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html
amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Headphone-Gold-Plated-Accessories/dp/B007SP2CO2
amazon.com/Braided-Auxiliary-Tangle-Free-Headphones-iPhones/dp/B00R11WPK4
amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00PGMY2VK
amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00L61YYXQ
monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323
rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-software/how-to-get-virtual-surround-sound-on-your-headphones-plugged-to-your-linux-rig
amazon.com/iDigi-Universal-2-5mm-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0049GLNQG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I use the ATH-M50Xs.

I had a pair of Beyerdynamics that were very nice

I'm using some Sennheiser 280 Pro. Before I got these I was using some $20 Sennheiser 202 Pro which were also very nice for the price.

Just get a pair of beats.

wew lad

Are there maybe some kind of serious/reliable comparisons or reviews out there?
I'm a bit afraid of buying some crap just for some autistic memes.

The ATH-M50 looks like the best one on there. Especially that impedance, that's pretty amazing to be entirely flat.

AKG K701
AKG K701
Because Mio is a shit. Also, they pretty much require a decent amp so the total cost might be more than what you intend to pay.

Why shouldn't I choose a K702 over a K701?

I prefer the K702 because of the replacable cord. My cord on my 701 got twisted and eventually ripped, so I ordered K702s instead and use them happily

I haven't tried K702 so I can't comment on it. I'd expect them to require a decent amp as well so that issue should still apply.

I thought about the detachable and exchangeable wire which also mentioned. All my previous headphones died because of cable breaks. So there was this really stupid moment where I thought it would be a clever idea to buy a wireless headset.. pls kill me for my iniquity.
Next to this it's colored in black which I personally like more. However.. I'll be using this headphones only in my room, alone.

Beyerdynamic DT250, never been happier. Velour pads really make a difference for "long" usage.

r-rude
read something about this topic. what's good there?

Bigger speakers require more current to drive, and K701/K702 have big enough speakers that most sound cards don't put out enough amperage to drive them loud enough.

I would second this question. What's a good amplifier?

O2 and ODAC.

nwavguy.blogspot.fr/2011/07/o2-headphone-amp.html

You're just mad because you can't afford it, poorfag.

Use the consumer advice thread, you cancerous faggot

Sennheiser HD598
anything that doesn't begin disintegrating after two fucking weeks

Damn, that's tempting.

I was looking at buying some decent cheap headphones not long ago, this is what i came up with:
amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Headphone-Gold-Plated-Accessories/dp/B007SP2CO2
amazon.com/Braided-Auxiliary-Tangle-Free-Headphones-iPhones/dp/B00R11WPK4
amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00PGMY2VK
amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00L61YYXQ
earpads and wrap are for comfort, spare cord in case of bad luck.

Monoprice 8323 headphones have decent sound, replaceable cord, replaceable earpads.

I tried the JVC HAM750's last time, they were nice while they lasted but the pads wore out and eventually the cable frayed which killed the headphones. Pads weren't replaceable and were never comfortable after more than 2 hours use. So having swappable cord and earpads is critical.

If you're willing to spend $100 more than the Monoprice 8323's then my next recommendation would be to second the ATH-M50X's

Pics related are the headphone guides I used, maybe something newer is available.

ATH-M50s are very good for the price, but they have a fatal flaw: There's a little hinge on each earpiece, and if you drop the headphones from the smallest height you risk breaking them, rendering the headphones unwearable. This is NOT fixable if it happens. The earpads also degrade pretty quick. They sound great though and lasted me a good 2 years, even if the earpiece was held together with tape for a good amount of that.

I replaced them with Beyerdynamic DT770s and have no issues about build quality with these. They have a big piece of metal holding the earpieces in place instead of a tiny little plastic hinge. And they can be worn comfortably all day every day.

you used tape to hold the uncomfortable earpads together for 2 years even though the earpads are swappable??

why user??

No user, it's not the earpads that break, it's the hinge holding the earcups onto the headband. It's not even the hinge itself, it's a tiny little piece of plastic INSIDE the hinge, that snaps, rendering them unwearable without tape. Pics related

i understood that but the way you wrote it you talked about the earpads degrading and then how you used them for 2 years with the earpieces taped together so i read it as you taped together the earpads.

I have multiple headphones because I'm mentally ill
Bose QC-25
Pickering PH-4955
Grado SR325e
Weltron 37-004
Plantronics Beatback Pro
and Sennheiser HD335s that I don't use anymore because the foam in the earpads went manky
I use the Bose most often just because they're the most comfortable to wear for literal hours at a time, but I like to cycle around through most of them because I like the sound.
The Plantronics I use for travel though

monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323

Thanks me later.

Audeze LCD-3

The build quality has gone down. I went through two pairs in a year. After that, I moved to a pair of MDR-V6s. The important bits are metal, so while they're more expensive, they should make up for it in longevity.

While this thread is here, how can I tell if my AVR can handle 600 ohm headphones?

Audio Technica ATH-M50x reportan. I've had them for about a year and a half and they're pretty excellent. They still blow my mind away sometimes when I put them on, and they've blown the minds of everyone I've let listen to them so far. Pretty comfy too, highly recommend.
My next pair is going to be a set of earbuds for work and for running around, since I hate lugging my cans all over and I move around a lot at work. Thinking about getting a pair of ATH-CKS550iS since they seem like a good upgrade from the ones that my dogs ate, Sony MDR-EX110AP (which were pretty shit, but I only paid $20 for them so I was happy). Anybody got a good earbud/IEM guide?

Hmm, haven't had that happen and I stick them in my backpack often. Being as that means they're going 4wheeling when I put them in my backpack, I would've expected them to have broken by now because that shit can get pretty rough. I've always been a bit leery of those joints though, so I'll try to be gentler.
If you ask me though, the build quality on them is exceptional.

Sounds like you're projecting, m80. :^)

Etymolic HF-5 is what I use, they block like 90% of outside noise and have good sound quality. I don't like the rubber tips but you can swap them, the cylindrical ones are the best. I lost a pair at the airport like a retard and it was worth getting another pair.

On a somewhat related note, under Linux, is there any way to insert an HRTF crossfeed headphone spatialization filter system-wide or per-app/stream, maybe through PulseAudio or some other API?

I know there are already several acceptable open source knockoff libraries, like the one embedded in VLC.

This feature is one of the few features I really like about the bloatware included with most sound card/chipset drivers on Windows.

This looks like what you are looking for:
rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-software/how-to-get-virtual-surround-sound-on-your-headphones-plugged-to-your-linux-rig

If it isn't a full sized over-the-ear design, and if it doesn't plug into a REAL PCI or PCI-e slot soundcard, it isn't a real pair of headphones.

Interesting, though I'm not sure whether it actually supports stereo input, rather than only surround. I guess I could try stacking another layer of something under it to turn stereo into surround if necessary.

I'll give it a shot, either way.

Beware, Etymotic has non-replaceable cables that are designed to break after a while.

How so? I haven't had problems yet. But then again my new pair is only a few months old and I never put a lot of stress on the cable.

The different leads inside the cables are insulated using (crappy) lacquer, which will wear down after a while of frequent (normal) use.

I second the DT770s. They sound exactly as good as the ATH-M50s but are far more comfortable, cheaper and better built. Get the 80 ohms version too. You would likely need an amplifier with the 250 version. The 32 ohms version is discontinued and is more expensive.

From an owner of these headphones.

If you prefer a bass havey sound then you will enjoy these. They also have good build quality and can take being folded and shoved into a bag on a regular basis.

V-shaped sound signature. Lots of treble and lows but lacks mids. If you listen to a lot of electronic or roc, then these will do well. I recommend going for the 250Ω or the 600Ω. You will need an amp for these. Go for the pro version if you have a smaller head.

These have a rich, lower mid heavy sound that sounds great with instrumental music, including rock and classical. If you listen to music with vocals then go for the HD600. Their build quality is fine, the design just isn't that robust.

Great if you want a portable pair that can take being carried around every day. There isn't any genre that they do badly, they don't really accel at anything either. If you are getting your first pair of proper headphones, this where I recommend starting.

I own both the K701 and the K712. I highly recommend the K712 if you want a midrange AKG. They keep the peak in the high mids found on the K701, while added much more to the low end, it gives a much more balanced listen. These accel with classical but sound great with anything. You will need an amp.

I can believe this. Their frequency response is almost the exact same. I'd show a comparison from headphone.com, but:
fug
has the two right next to each other though, if anyone is really curious about that.

I hear this all the time, but I find it hard to believe being that the M50x's are pretty dang comfy already. I hear widely varying accounts when it comes to the M50/M50x comfiness though, so I think it might just have to do with the shape of one's head vs. the headphones' shape.
If anyone has concerns over which ones are more comfy, I would recommend finding a place that specializes in headphones so you can try on and listen to everything. I didn't and lucked out, but that doesn't mean you will too. Plus you might end up not liking either as much and going with a completely different pair!

If they made the DT770 with detachable cords, I probably would have bought them instead. Since the cord is what almost killed my last pair, the detachable cords on the M50x was the major determining factor for me.

I would have to concur with both statements. The bass is really clean too; doesn't distort easy.

amazon.com/iDigi-Universal-2-5mm-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0049GLNQG

are you waifu fagging?

if so you should hang out with ritsufag in the Holla Forums 4am threads

he waifu fags so hard he plans to tell his parents that she is his girlfriend

Basically the DT250.

AKG K701 with a FiiO E10K as USB-DAC/Amp here and have to confess that it sounds nice :>
sorry for bumping this thread with such a post

Can I use any amp? I have a bass all lying around or is that irrelevant

Audiotechnika M50 or their new variant

but you guys should know that most music isn't mastered for headphones, so it should be listened with crossfeed filter, otherwise it could cause headaches, etc.

This is not the most important thing. Undesired properties of frequency response can be compensated by EQ.
More important is amount of non-linear distortion. This cannot be compensated by anything. More nonlinear distortions -> worse sound, no way to get around this.

DOES DT770 HAS REPLACEABLE CORD?????

Not by default, people have successfully modded them to have one though. I know recabling headphones like these is pretty common so it shouldn't be too hard to add a detachable cable.

I personally use the Senn HD 518. Good pair that you can get on the cheap but if you can, hold out for the HD 598. A bit cleaner sound and more neutral. I listen to every genre under the sun and these do the job well.

My brother uses the AudioTechnica M50x. Good closedback cans for EDM.

Welp not in 5 years then.

->

belongs in the consumer advice thread you /g/ level newfaggot

I received a Sennheiser HD 598 for Christmas, and they are the best headphones I've ever used. Granted, I haven't used all that many. They are very comfy- barely notice them after a few minutes. The biggest problem is the sound bleeding inherent to any open design. It comes with a nice long RCA cable and adapter, as well as a shorter 3.5mm cable. I use the RCA+adapter, because the length allows me to run the from the I/O panel to the other side of my desk for convenience and comfy. They are a bit bulky for anything else, at least with my lifestyle.

For mobile use, I have a set of Brainwavz Deltas. Without a doubt, they are the best sub $30 unit I've ever used. Very sturdy, very good sound, no frills, plain but attractive aesthetics.

Prior to that I used Sony XB-50s, at least I think that's what it was. They also performed well, but weren't built to take the abuse I gave 'em. A bit heavy and obstructive.

For working out, or doing anything sweaty or generally abusive, I have a pair of JVC Gummy Plus. The sound is as good as you can hope for $10 bucks, and they fit under hearing protection for using power tools.

I'm thinking about ordering an Audiotechnica ATH-M30X. My country's currency ain't even worth a fucking dime so the M50X is expensive as fuck for me, and I've read reviews that say they're still pretty great. Does anyone here know about these headphones?

Is this actually necessary or you're just inching every day closer to audiophile autism?

Yes, crossfeeds are very necessary. Stereo/surround correctly mixed for normal speakers creates a virtual "sound stage" that surrounds the listener, positioned mostly between the speakers. When this is listened to on headphones, the virtual soundstage shrinks down to inside your skull, which sounds quite unnatural.

Stereo sound correctly mixed for headphones (often called a "binaural" mix) instead expands the soundstage to outside the speakers (and the listener's head), which sounds correct with headphones, but of course too "big" with a normal speaker set-up.

A related, but different problem, are lazy non-spatial stereo/surround mixes where discrete tracks are dumped into a channel in isolation (you know the ones, most pre-1980s stereo/quad music albums, and a depressing number of cinematic surround mixes). With normal speakers, there is some crossfeed produced as the sound bounces around the room before you hear it, but with headphones, the left and right channels are completely isolated, and in sparser sections you might have dead silence on one side with an instrument bleating into the other ear.

All of these problems are adequately fixed by even the simplest headphone crossfeed filter, so it's not really audiophile autism in any sense.

That said, there are tons of more obscure issues that a simple crossfeed filter won't fix, related to the way the human brain, ears, head, and body track sound in 3D using two ears. That way does indeed lie a bottomless chasm of autism related to FIRs, HRTFs, realtime head tracking, dummy mics, canalphones, surround downmixes, and elaborate computer software, as I asked about upthread.