Your thoughts on Stackoverflow as a community?

Your thoughts on Stackoverflow as a community?

Other urls found in this thread:

meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/272387/why-was-this-edit-approved-for-my-answer/272493#272493
meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/325583/how-to-react-to-downvotes/325601
meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/326436/how-to-address-if-at-all-ops-who-try-to-sneak-edit
stackoverflow.com/questions/1966010/what-does-this-mean-parse-error-syntax-error-unexpected-t-paamayim-nekudotay
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Better than Holla Forums if you want to discuss technology.

It is good for help

closed as not constructive by Richard M. Stallman Jul 06 '16 at 10:20

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.

Comparison to other sites
It's better than Holla Forums if you want to discuss technology.

Helpfulness
It is good for help.

Downvote the other two answers since mine is obviously superior.

Rarely helpful.

How do I solve problem X?

This question already has an answer here:
How do I solve problem Y? 3 answers

use boost::shitdick

CANCER
Many losers begging to have their answer accepted or downvoting someone for accepting their own answer, even if there aren't any other answers. I've even seen correct answers get downvoted.
It's no different than plebbit

meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/272387/why-was-this-edit-approved-for-my-answer/272493#272493
meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/325583/how-to-react-to-downvotes/325601
meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/326436/how-to-address-if-at-all-ops-who-try-to-sneak-edit

Idiot cries about getting his first downvote:

Pretty much half the answers.
You just have to hope someone else answered with something more reasonable.

Mostly this. You will only get popular answers of popular problems.

>of popular common problems.

spoted the Holla Forumsedditor

shitter overflow

Shit moderation, like everything. Answers are useful provided you have some clue already. Last I paid attention, kebab were having trouble getting into it. Every question I've ever posted, I ended up answering myself. Mostly attributable to all of the basic questions having already been answered.

Other users can edit your posts. That's enough to keep me from posting there.

Good for programming answers though.

I think a lot of you are hanging out on the shitter side of stackoverflow. I land on the site several times a day and it's the only website I've ever seen that could answer hard and poorly documented stuff. I've even found answers re locking issues with NETLINK which I thought for sure I'd have to hit a mailinglist for. They regularly answer questions no one on a chan knows enough to even shitpost about.

protected by some_mod Jul 6 '16 at 22:59

Thank you for your interest in this thread. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

upboat cancer, mod hell

It has plenty of cancer, favoritism, politics, whatever other pettiness (think "closed as fuck you by pajeet_my_son" etc.), but I am glad to see it at the top of search results and not Expert Sexchange (fuck Quora too).

It's plenty helpful if you aren't looking in shitty areas.

Protip: programming areas are full of retards. kind of like Holla Forums

The section more related to server administration is far more useful.

I am willing to bet most chan users here know ten times more about technology than any stackexchange user. They just were not online or could not see the thread.

Quora is a cesspit of the same level as yahooanswers. A completely useless website. If I want to know about the most popular opinion of the day, I'll read the news. Sometimes even YA is better than Quora.

Why has Holla Forums been constantly spammed with "thoughts on X" threads lately?

sensiblechuckle.gif

this pretty much tbh. If something is being spammed too much or little to no variation then the threads should be deleted.
RING LISTEN TO YOUR COMMUNITY

It's pure SEO material, so no wonder that decent questions/answers pop up whenever you google.

The Quora experience:

it seemed nice for a day or so before i realized how pozzed it was

These threads are not against the rules, and I don't make the rules. if you see a thread that's against the rules, report it. If you think the rules should be changed, talk to the board owner.

If you make a thread on >>>/metatech/ I can make sure he looks at it.

Why would you want to discuss this when you can just use a library.

You go to the library every single time you want a simple code answer?
You must not have much time left for programming.

Pic related summarize my every StackOverFlow encounter and use.

The method that I want is always second or third answer. First answer is always shit, trivial, overcomplex, include a library solution.

The rest of the answers just waste my time, every time.

>
Clearly python, but I'm not sure if you're trying to obscure that in the code examples or if you're just bad at python.

It's a joke.
Yes, I know it's Python, it's the simplest language to use to show the point of the joke without actual coding experience.

>In version 3 this doesn't work anymore.
Every goddamn time I want to see how something is done in Python in current_year.

Stack Overflow is hit or miss, sometimes you get good answers, sometimes you get Pajeet shit. It's OK if I get some weird error and type in into my search engine.

stackoverflow.com/questions/1966010/what-does-this-mean-parse-error-syntax-error-unexpected-t-paamayim-nekudotay

the moderation here must've been fierce. The two automatic normie reactions:

1. holy WTF? thanks for pointlessly being hard to understand, PHP

2. ehh I don't like this either, but I also don't like anyone expressing distaste for anything alien or foreign. That path leads to Nazis committing another holocaust!

full of faggots who evangelise their favowit language/framework
full of "le pragmatic" faggots
full of faggots who "just want the answer"
*exchange is pretty much useless for anyone who knows what they're doing anyway. it's good if you're just learning a subject and want to see some real examples of what people in the field do, but the discussion is limited and full of faggotry. other than that the entire network is just clickbait