Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind

Should we stop AI research? It seems increasingly like this will be a tool of our own undoing. We will be deposed by our own creations. At what point should we stop?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DFVNMs1XXVc
youtu.be/1GSKODNVf2o
youtube.com/watch?v=IuygOYZ1Ngo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You'd have to give an AI a lot of power and incredibly vague goals for that to happen.

When IBM stops making those sexy-ass mainframe cabinets

That's a quote from Dune, not the Bible, you poofter.

AI is our only hope agains the jews

Nobody said it was from the Bible.

It was implied

Were light years away from a proper strong AI.

Where?

It's a pop culture reference that happens to mimic biblical style. You were in the wrong, move on.

It was implied.

Well, it was from the Bible. The Orange Catholic bible.
FROM DUNE, STUPID

I know that, stupid. That's why I posted it. Whatever gave you the idea I thought it was from the bible?

You were impling that it was one of the Ten Commandments.

No, I wasn't. I posted it without context. Can you point specifically what made you think that's what I wanted you to believe?

My post talked about being deposed by our own creations, like the Butlerian Jihad. This was what it was meant to evoke. Are you illiterate or do you just get offended everywhere you go?

It must be terrible wanting to be offended.

Should we also stop chemical and biological research?

A Tree Recognized by its Fruit
(Matthew 7:15-23; Luke 6:43-45)

Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. O generation of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say to you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned.

A Tree and its Fruit
(Matthew 12:33-37; Luke 6:43-45)

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. You shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that brings not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Why by their fruits you shall know them.

Not every one that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

What implied it? It was just that quote. Is there a way to post that quote that doesn't imply it, other than putting "(this is not from the Bible btw)" next to it?

Okay, so you're just a dumb christfag. You realize you're on an imageboard, right?

We should stop, but they won't. They;ll say "someone else will make it so we have to make it so they don't fuck us".

Of course, they want to make it because they actually believe in interplanetary travel and singularity and all the other retarded sci-fi shit from the Big Bang Theory.

From a Christian perspective, there are certain undertakings that are an affront to God, challenging His authority. While I doubt that there will ever be strong AI, should one be made our retribution shall be quick. Persuing material creations with which to glorify ourselves, such as transhumanist enhancements, will completely destroy people's virtue.

Of course, Moore's Law hasn't been true since 2004 and the reproducibility rate for synthetic biology papers is abyssmal, so I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for these technologies to be developed.

Shit ain't real, nigga.

AI isn't bad, but keep in mind that it would create a finished human brain; computers do not feel, they have no emotion, and they don'
t they have intuition, the hardware prevents the AI from ever having right hemisphere. I'm sure (((they))) will tell us that those characteristics can be simulated; you can probably figure out how that will go. There's a reason why cold calculating machines are always assumed to go rogue and cause problems.

The machine is harming people even though its programmed not to? Just a few bugs. It's probably nothing to worry about goy.

half finished sorry

dis says the bibble

This is some weird shit with this meatwad, is
there some optical illusion here? It looks like meatwad is shrinking.

I don't see it, but my eyes can't focus on the picture at all.

which is why we've been able to put rovers on mars. for a board called Holla Forums, most of you are practically stone age retarded. theres even a guy upset that his god was insulted by a sci fi book.

Oh shit I see it too.

I see the shrinking. It also makes my HPPD flare up.

Those who suggest AI will become the undoing of mankind in a science-fiction-like dystopia scenario often do not understand AI.

This is not that hard to simulate. You put a lot of value in emotions because you're in a position where they feel really huge and impossible to understand to you, but they're not nearly as mystical as you think they are. They're predictable, and predictable things can be simulated if you study them enough.

"Intuition" is a word for "I'm not sure how I made that guess". You could argue that computers won't have that because they'll be able to back up their guesses with reasoning, but that's not a loss.

This is just pop-science bullshit.

That's not nearly always true, but yes, there are reasons why they're often assumed to do that:
- It makes a good story
- People are scared of things that act like humans
Those are not technical reasons.

can we make it against the rules to be religious?

maybe that's a good thing. next step in evolution. look at how stupid most of mankind is. there is people voting for trump and europe is building fences too. maybe bots will raise the average IQ enough to create a shift in politics and maybe they'll act like intelligent humans and respect other life.

nothing new here.

apparently respecting other life means creating death squads, dictatorships, and general terror in central and south america over the 20th century, and creating a drug war that continues into this century. this necessitates leaving those countries because they were turned into shitholes or made worse, as well as making economic smuggling links that promote illegal immigration. toppling governments in the middle east and north africa as well as installing dictators that caused unrest has caused many issues for people living there, and the constant bombing and arming of militants makes it hard to live there. arming an apartheid nation that is hellbent on destroying the local people and culture of the area with nukes was hardly progress. this is how you destroy their cultures and your own, this is how you make humanity an unrecognizable soup of people with no identity. if you want to help these people, why do you side with the people who destroy their nations, cultures, and people? why do you also promote destruction of your own culture?

Yet another thread ruined by christcucks

No we won't.

I agree, but can you back that up with some argumentation? Your post is not very useful this way.

You're assuming that a strong AI will act like a computer because it is run on a computer. That's not very likely to happen. Look at people. Our brains are the hardware, but our consciousness exists on a level abstracted from the hardware. We are a complex self-referential loop caused by billions of neurons interacting. You can't physically control any given neuron through force of will, so it's naive to assume that an AI running on a computer will be able to act like a computer. Sure, its 'senses' will consist of digital signals, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be able to connect to the internet and take over the world and more than a hacker with a keyboard would.

What does "acting like a computer" mean?

Though it can be argued that we don't need to completely understand something to make it work, I would say that we would understand an AI enough to prevent a calamity. Just as you raise a child well for the sake of them growing up and becoming some use to society as a whole, an AI would be taught to help its fellow "man". In addition, though some children do grow up to be the next Ted Bunndy or BTK, those people didn't have power plugs and couldn't be monitored through powerful analytics software that could see psycopathy coming a long time before it manifests.

Being able to solve difficult math problems easily, doing long and repetitive tasks quickly, etc. The human brain, with its billions of neurons is most likely turing complete on the 'hardware' level, but that doesn't mean that we can execute programs in our mind without making a mistake.

I bet that the first AI we create will be down syndrome tier.

I still have nightmares after watching this anime. It's basically invisioning a future where ai destroyed humanity.

Part 1 - youtu.be/DFVNMs1XXVc

Part 2 - youtu.be/1GSKODNVf2o

I don't understand why people, even just in Sci-fi and outlandish philosophy, are scared of AIs. At the end of the day a machine can only use what power you supply to it. Any "AI" that might come up in the future which would actually deserve the title instead of being just another ebin shitposting chatbot will just as well be either a game opponent, an entertainment novelty or, in the serious cases, used as a counselor in business and government. So even if one of those highest-echelon head of the state counseling AIs goes full tay-chan, that doesn't mean shit would happen.

Wew, retard post of the thread award goes to you.

Do you have any evidence to suggest it's anything more than that?

The globalists will do anything they can to make AI research create useful fruit.

The fact that humans can analyze problems and generate programs that systematically solve those problems. So far, we've only been able to very crudely approximate that behavior with AI's.

So it's just a more complex machine. There is no magical barrier that says we can't recreate it.

Yeah, that's the point of progress, dummy.

The mind is part of the body and the body is a physical machine. It is only a matter of time until we make something that can not only match its problem-solving abilities, but beat them.

Everyone here should read Ray Kurzweil's book "How to create a mind". We have figured out (mostly) how the neo-cortex works. By the year 2020 we will have the ability to run "artificial" brains with average resources. AI's will have at least as much capabilities as real intelligence, which is to say unlimited. Either humans will fall in their shadow, or rise with them through a symbiotic relationship.

That's a misquote of the Bible in Dune.

Kurzweil is a literal mad scientist. He's a genius asshole. He's full of shit about the human soul, but the diet stuff is good. He should've stopped while he was ahead back in the 70's.

lets first create it, then we see if they'll really destroy us

Those aren't IBM cabinets, they were made by a company called Thinking Machines.

Coming from a christfag, this shitposting is the real affront to God. Cease and desist.

As said, they won't stop.

Best to prepare for whatever future AI will bring.

If you understood that what we want is greater than human intelligence, then you would be a fool not to give it the proper respect. As a tool it will give us undreamed possibilities, it is extremely desirable to pursue it, but the dangers are also very real, even if they are the results of human conflict and not the direct result of a runaway AI. A theorized Artillect War could be the deadliest yet experienced by humanity.

I agree. Your post reminded me of this video, youtube.com/watch?v=IuygOYZ1Ngo

They call it the resurrection of Rembrandt through a computer that learns how to paint in his style, but really all it's doing is taking Rembrandt's body of work and making what it thinks a single "average Rembrandt" would look like. Something like this is a toy that can't paint anything else, but AIs as entertainment novelties would probably be one of the paths down which they develop.

And I see the green background flashing eerily each time I move eye pupils
And it looks more like shitball than meatball

flagellate yourself

This is like saying planes will dive into the sea because that's a shorter distance than going around the globe. How is Holla Forums so goddamn tech illiterate?

that dream will always be a meme, you do not understand ai.

two works of fiction.