Project Ara is officially a meme

>Can't upgrade display
>Can't upgrade CPU
>Can't upgrade GPU
>Can't upgrade sensors
>Can't upgrade battery
>Can't upgrade antennas
>CAN upgrade camera

What the fuck is the point, then? They're still gonna crank out a new "base frame" with CPU/GPU/etc every year or two and now they can nickel and dime you for accessories and incremental upgrades every 6 months.

What a joke. Way to take a great idea and shit all over it Google.

scientificamerican.com/article/lego-like-smartphones-slowly-snapping-into-place/

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.fairphone.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=HKdSFwkIHp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can't even change the battery, holy shit. This thing is even less modular than current gen android smartphones. What's the point?

So what can be upgraded?

But it works, you can't say the same about the original project.

They don't do it for that either, they do it for no reason whatsoever, it is pure retarded consumerism.

The original project did work, and in fact there's a real modular smartphone by some nobody company:
shop.fairphone.com/

That fucking cat.

wasn't the original project just a faggy video?

normies are really impressed by it. wait for the linus tech tips video if there wasn't one already.

the camera

"Muh cores" (can't blame them for only looking at this: 99% of ARM processors are clocked at 1.2 GHz so this aspect doesn't matter as much, and more often than not many stores don't even announce the model or sometimes even brand of CPU the phone uses) is a selling point for many consumers. So is RAM size, and dare I say display size and resolution.

The only people who don't care as much for the specifications of their phones are people with ghetto sub $80 phones ("I needed something to call and text and my carrier gave me this thing"), and to a lesser degree most people with an iPhone. That's right, even people who buy iPhones do care about their CPU, otherwise they wouldn't have been so excited about the 64 bit marketing gimmick they announced some years ago.

But you are not marketing this phone to Applefags, and it's likely going to be a higher end phone so people who don't give a fuck about their phone won't buy it. Why not pander to the power users as well? I can guarantee 90% of people who read phone and tech blogs regularly would buy this, and even some more people would also buy it if only to upgrade the camera. It is literally a no brainer: if the CPU was swappable in the prototype, why the fuck would you remove this? WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU REMOVE SCREEN SWAPPING WHEN 80% OF NORMIES ARE WALKING AROUND WITH BROKEN TOUCHSCREENS? You can't even swap the battery. This is just a fucking scam and a cop-out. They hyped the whole tech consumer enthusiast community JUST to drop the ball this hard.

I can just assume they are lying to us. It's not "because you don't actually care about it!", but because they realized it would probably not be economically viable. I guess they wouldn't expect selling many replacement parts or something like that, because this is the most retarded engineering decision I have seen in a while. Fuck, I am pissed

JUST ARA-ARA MY SHIT UP

Maybe people should stop being retarded and dropping their phones everywhere.

My cousin sat on the floor one day. His iPhone slipped out of his pocket, which was at about three centimeters above the floor. The screen shattered.

I don't disagree they are way too careless with their phones, but come on, they are fucking fragile. It wouldn't hurt allowing people to easily replace their screens instead of paying one hundred dollars to get a several weeks long half assed job from a technician.

Or maybe your cousin could have gotten a Samsung Galaxy S5/S7 instead of an iPhone :^)

I have seen many Samsung SX with broken screens. Even low end phones with small screens made of what seems like plastic it probably isn't plastic, but oh well tend to break. They all break in time, user.

By the way, I had so many fucking problems with my S2 it's not even funny. I don't want to repeat that.

serves him right for getting an iphone

>Oh but we can now have cutesy wooden kickstands integrated

Don't buy unruggedized phones and they won't break.

Fuck, I was hoping Ara would be more than phones, but just modular touch screen devices in general. Was hoping for a custom OS to make a Zune HD like device just for playing music with their smaller endo. Guess google fucked it up.

PROJECT ARA WAS ALWAYS A MEME
who the fuck needs a modular smartphone??
if it was focused only on easy and affordable display and battery upgradeability, that would have merit. then if your screen breaks or your battery won't charge you can easily swap to something else. upgrading cpu, gpu, antenna, sensors, camera is just an attempt to create a secondary market to sell components to normies they don't need in the first place. additionally, new sensors to some extent can already be added by connecting over bluetooth or in a port.

a phone is a phone. not necessary to upgrade parts. repairability would be nice. smartphone today only needs to make calls, text, email, do internet and a non smartphone only needs to make calls. anything else is a luxury. the only people who care so much about their phones they would bother to upgrade are dumbass normie women who listen and believe the marketing and niggers who use it as a status symbol. project ara was literally created to milk niggers for cash. how is it surprising that it turned out to be a meme?

Most of the stores I see don't even show what the processor is clocked at, or much else. You get number of cores, internal storage space, screen size, and sometimes whether or not it can use an SD card. Because normies don't know the difference between memory and storage space, you often see phones listed as having 16 or 32 GB of "memory".
I hope it's a mistake, at least. Android isn't that much of a memory hog, that it'd need 16GB of RAM to function. R-right?

Chinese shops call storage "ROM", which is still wrong, but at least you can understand what they are talking about.

What is he, a kid?

Had my current phone for over a year, no damage at all to the screen. Even my old blackberry that I beat up in a drunken rage because it wouldn't turn on doesn't have a broken screen.

If college was any indication, it's all retards hiding their phones on their laps or walking down the street texting that are breaking phones because mommy and daddy will buy you a new one after bailing you out of jail for an alcohol violation.

He was in a shitty village in bumfuck nowhere that had absolutely no places to sit down. He just sat on some stairs he found.

I can't believe people are arguing against useful features just because normies might benefit the most from them. Why the fuck are you defending the biggest tech copout of the decade?

Have a video of a Moto X Force (aka Droid Turbo 2 for you 'muricans) surviving a 1000 feet drop - that's right, one thousand feet, like the height of an 80 floor building - without a scratch.

youtube.com/watch?v=HKdSFwkIHp4

DESIGNATED SHATTERPROOF SCREEN

checked

don't worry sometime in the future I wanna make a BSD alternative OS better than android or ios.

I dissagree. there would be different cpu sockets per manufacturerer, displays and everything else would be universal (if standards were made).
I also disagree. A smartphone is better when upgraded.

This is a corporate shill.