Slackware 14.2 has been released

SLACKWARE 14.2 IS OUT

Are you guys ready? Because I sure am.

After nearly 3 years an update to the rock solid wonder GNU/Linux distro has finally been released!

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.slackware.com/howtos:multimedia:pulseaudio_non-default#removing_pulseaudio_completely
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'll be sticking with 14.1. It isn't like I need bluetooth support.

Pulseaudio is shit but so much shit uses it now it's practically required. I'm glad it works out of the box now. You can easily disable it if you want.
You're just asking for problems.

no thanks

Citation needed liar

docs.slackware.com/howtos:multimedia:pulseaudio_non-default#removing_pulseaudio_completely
Not too hard mang.
There's always a ton of shit I do to Slack to get it just how I want it. One more tweak won't hurt too much.

Still rocking 14.0 here...
"Problems" are for deb and rpm-based shitOSes

So what's new?

Bullshit. Slackware doesn't even accept contributions.

itt: autism olympics

all me

I have a librebooted x200 with parabola. Mac address changed and FDE, hardened kernel, encrypted boot on separate drive. You mad NSA?

How's the security in slackware? I'm using funtoo hardened and gentoo's hardened kernel with ASLR and nearly every PaX feature turned on and any unneeded features and modules disabled

Is this peak autism already or are there more ways to build the worlds largest tinfoil hat?

ASLR or KASLR?

both

The answer is clear.

Gee what a suprise that only boys accepted club is dying

Kickass, I'm glad they updated the kernel and software like gparted got moved from current to stable.

You can remove it easily bro. They only put it in because they had to. It's still never getting systemd and SJWs can never infiltrate it because based dictator Patrick Volkerding won't allow it and it would be too complex for them.

so how's freebsd doing, friend?

This isn't Ubuntu or RHEL. Slackware deserves better than this.

What did you expect on a dead site with maggots writhing in the corpse?

Technology discussion with anime reaction images.

We all know that the only actual Holla Forums discussion goes on in the irc channel.

Also, as a slackware user I am incredibly disappointed they decided to add pulseaudio.

Hello hotpocket

This site isn't dead with maggots writing in the corpse. Not yet.

That's kind of what happens when your userbase loves to play autism olympics and pretend they're better than anyone because they don't use the superior software, whine about the SJW boogeyman, etc.

SJWs are a big deal, shill.

I kinda knew this. Better leave animuboards and join irc cabal for serious discussion

How much are you being paid for this again, Pajeet?

too bad irc is 100x more autistic than the actual board

Remember when GConf went into Slack proper? I almost had an aneurism. But it's all easy enough to work-around/remove. But seriously: BlueZ? Fuck those people with a steak knife. Bluetooth is for niggers and NEETs.

But I think all Slackware devotees already have a big list of stuff they customize and tweak. Adding the removal of pulseaudio (which literally takes less than 30 seconds) to that list is not a big deal. Plus, thanks to Alien Bob et. al., we can spin our own custom Slackware anyway. With the exception of Gentoo, there is still nothing that compares.

Some people still run 13.37. Slackware is as stable as a damn mountain. As long as its still getting security patches, it'll keep running safely and securely.
As for pulseaudio, everything I use can work without it. Sure, I could easily do a small tweak and keep running ALSA in 14.2, but why bother? There isn't anything new in 14.2 that interests me, 14.1 is working just fine and I have no need to upgrade. This is one of the things I love about Slackware; you don't need to keep up with the latest version of everything, because stability takes precedence over being cutting edge.

if your mental illness says so it must be true.

im not talking about any proprietary software
they are, because everyone you don't like is a social justice warrior

again, this thread is what happens when you hyperbolize and make yourself unable to have actual proper discussions about software

where "i dont like thing" is the supreme form of argument

you niggers are autistic

What kind of package system does Slackware use anyway?

Thank you Satan

it uses the autism package manager

It uses build scripts. There is also a repo called Slackbuilds you can use to fetch them like portage.

Can anyone give me a good reason to use Slackware over Gentoo?

no

They:re completely different in purpose. Want the most stable distro on the motherfucking planet? Do you wish you were using BSD instead but actually want software? Do you want a modular normal distro? Fo you want to install your distro with 10GB worht of packages so you never have to worry about doing anything to it ever again but still have the leverage to change it however you want? Slackware

Do you want bleeding edge but done properly (unlike that tryhard piece of shit Arch?) Do you like to customize your system at install to an autisic degree? Do you want to build an extremely minimal system? Gentoo.

Pic unrelated, I feel like posting an image but it:s all I have. Good game.

I don't personally use libreboot, but aren't you able to forgo /boot altogether and let the BIOS open the LUKS container?

The idea of using a separate /boot is you can put it on a USB/SD card and only plug it in while booting

Like hell it is. Pre-Nintendo Rare was a terrible developer.

If there was one statement on this fucking planet that was objectively wrong, this would be it.

soon

please explain for me the advantages of slackware over debian based distros?

good?

Use Debian for 10 years straight like I did then get sick as fuck of "distro-by-committee" and having every goddamned package "Debianized" by college students who call themselves "maintainers", and watch in horror as the dependency resolution system shits itself again and again.

Then try Slackware wherein you receive software in the condition as intended by the author(s) of said software, and all distro-wide decisions are made by one guy who's among other things, a computer genius. I learned real fast that automated dependency resolution is a burden unto itself and is really only needed by normies.

well that makes a lot of sense user

do you just MAKE all of your software?

No. Well, kinda. Commonly in Slackware one uses Slackbuild scripts and runs them against a source tarball of whatever software, then then slackbuild script compiles the source into a binary package installable with a simple command.
See slackbuilds.org

How's it going randi

Nothing deserves respect. Slackware lost their respect when they jumped on the pottering dick with pulseaudio.

Bluetooth audio? No one uses that.

But Gentoo stable is super stable and similar enough to *BSDs.

linux will never bury microsoft/osx now

What about Sourcemage?

just read that while listening to music with my bluetooth headphones streamed from pulseaudio on my systemd gentoo installation

Poettering pls. Fuck off back to your dens of cappuccino.

Puttering no longer develops or maintains pulseaudio, nigger. Keep up.

Never tried it.
Also, systemd...

Wew, now we can still have a ton of moldy shit!

Autist, please.

I have been ready all this time, for I run Slackware current, aka the fluid transition between releases.

I almost switched distros earlier this year because Krita used a higher version of KDE and all that, but now since Krita uses that appimage format, I don't have to degrade myself to a lesser distro.

Praise "Bob"!

Pulseaudio is unneccesary but so much software uses it now not having Pulse set up already makes it 100x harder to do anything on your computer.Its an addition I really appreciate.

Uhm, removing pulseaudio is just running "removepkg pulseaudio", right? Is there any package which is rendered useless and I should also remove, or anything else I need to keep in mind?

Just found one, xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin.

Oh, and to get the volume keys working again in xfce, I'm going to install volumeicon.

Aw shit nigga, how did I not hear about this earlier.
Hopefully AMD released a fucking working linux driver for my laptop's APU so I can finally get slack running on a more modern laptop.

Okay, finally managed to remove PulseAudio completely.
Here's a small guide, as it wasn't just removing a single package to get everything working again:
Please keep in mind I don't have the kde set installed, so I might miss some config needed with those packages.
removepkg pulseaudio xfce4-pulseudio-plugin alsa-plugins
Then, remove /etc/asound.conf, and the leftover files in /etc/pulse.
Enable the alsa startup script: chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa, and optionally run it to set the default settings.
If your user isn't in the audio group, add it now. ALSA seems to need this, while pulseaudio doesn't.
Now, if you want volume control in XFCE, you either install xfce4-mixer and xfce4-volumed (I didn't try this method), or you install volumeicon.
If you build volumeicon with --enable-notify, you have to fix the configure script, otherwise you'll be unable to select libnotify (I use my own scripts, but slackbuilds.org doesn't have this either):
sed -i -e 's/-DCOMPILEWITH_NOTIFY/ &/' ./configure

That should be everything.

It uses shell scripts to install, remove and upgrade your packages. I personally add in slackpkg+, which enables multiple repos and greylisting (greylisted packages appear but aren't checked for install by default). That makes it easier to keep up to date with multilib, for instance. I also use sbopkg to manage my SlackBuilds.

The worst was having to build pulseaudio on a separate 32 bit machine for a certain nonfree chat program to work, because for some odd reason pulseaudio goes for the 64 bit compiler even when hard coded to use the 32 bit one.

That page is terribly incomplete, and does not cover removing it without installing a shitty wrapper library for it (I've used it for skype while I was on manjaro, and it lagged, and sometimes dropped the mic completely).
Which is why I ended up writing this:

Whoa a slackware thread with activity, let's see what th-
Of course, Holla Forums.

Some more packages that should be removed are: pavucontrol and pamixer.
Packages that should be rebuilt to not to link to libpulse are: sox and MPlayer.

There's an 8ch newsgroup?

What package manager are you slackers using?

pkgtools and my own build scripts.

Nice. I came across sbopkg. Love me some ncurses.

PV actually stated on linuxquestions forum that any disableing of pulseaudio should be done through configs. He said to leave the package itself installed. If you look on LQ Slackware forum, you can find how to disable pulseaudio and revert to ALSA. It takes about 30 seconds.
All this rebuilding and etcetera is bullshit and not recommended.

slackpkg, sbotools.

Slackware vs Crux vs any Sourcemage fork? I've used Crux and found it pretty good.
I still prefer Gentoo and FreeBSD.