Is there such a thing as a religion founded on pure reason...

Is there such a thing as a religion founded on pure reason? Where the sermons are just the guy talking logically about things?

pick only one

Satanism is quite like that.

Is there a contradiction in the definitions?

yes

I think you're looking for Humanism

How about the definition

Of course atheists will say there's no 'pure reason' way to believe in and worship such a thing. but they're atheists

atheists say hi

By definition, no. But religion is an open book. You could start one yourself if you so wished.

Religion aren't sexy enough to attract adherents without mysterious bullshit.

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

You won't find a religion based on pure reason because the vast majority of the concepts in religion that we use today don't actually exist unless you believe they exist. Concepts like Justice, Mercy, Humility, Hope etc don't actually exist outside of the human psyche. If you had a reason based society you'd end up with an ugly utilitarian nightmare.

All thought is based on assumptions. You simply cannot comprehend the universe without holding onto at least one assumption. There is no "pure reason" and the idea of anything based on "pure reason" boils down to Critical Theory.

My body is ready

Discordianism.

But people don't want an ugly nightmare. They're more likely to want some kind of democracy where people vote for the kind of things they think will maximise happiness.
That's pretty much what we've had had for hundreds of years

This. Absurdism is the only reasonable point of view.

please explain

Politics tends to be unapologetically utilitarian about breaking people's rights for the greater good
It's essentially a market where people go with ideas which would normally be violations of rights but which the state is allowed to do
Otherwise everyone would go around robbing everyone else and taking their lungs and whatever

→ reddit

I don't see how utilitarianism is bad then

It's my favourite tbh

This post is allowed to be viewed by the efforts of a rogue pirate group fighting utilitarianism, Please consider donating

Holla Forums can and should be defended on utilitarian grounds as a place where the truth can be hammered out without filters

"for the greater good" the greater moneys good you mean

we need more smart smart politics graduates learning all the isms and wearing punk boots and listening to punk rock

I support that.

According to you, faggot. You don't have a say anymore. Truth is the first thing to go.

Why the fuck would you need a religion then? Religion is for people who can't do shit by themselves and need a imaginary friend.

This is how lectures were performed during the middle ages. Look up lectures by Thomas Aquinas.

this guy asked the best question ever on religion: what was god doing before the creation of the world?

Yea…. It's called geography, math, physics, engineering, quantum mechanics, computer science, chemistry, etc…..

None of which had any input whatsoever from any religious people, of course.

Which is why it's based

this pretty much
a religion based on pure reason could have no creed
it could tell us nothing about ourselves or the world
there would be nothing to worship, nothing to believe except that there is nothing to believe.
which you'd have to doubt…

i suppose one might worship this fact, or sausages

There are retarded atheist that debates the fact that there is nothing to believe. So I guess there are a crowd for your fact. Also, pasta.

Like if you kek every time.

Nothing outside of the observable exists, you cockmunching asspirate. The material universe is all there is. Absence of evidence IS evidence of absence when you're talking about an omnipotent being.

careful, you took the bait

this is everyone outside your self-suck circle laugh at you. you place yourselves in the throne of god.

Hahaha.

Dark matter is observable through mathematics, fuckhead. Stop trying to defend a shitty bronze-age mentality that has literally not produced a single piece of genuine contribution to the human condition.

No matter how hard you troll, you said yourself there is dark energy and dark matter. So observable thing. So he's right.

Sorry your definition of reality doesn't hold up in your all knowing theory. The cognitive dissonance will pass if you meme harder. Religion has led to the needed resolve in expanding and defending many cultures. So, you're wrong. But again, if you think I'm a christfag and just ignore/insult me it'll all go away :^)

observable impact, not the thing itself. sounds familiar, right?

No. It doesn't work like that. The argument is that an omnipotent benevolent being exists. Absence of evidence FOR such a being's existence is as good as evidence of his absence. lol at religitards trying to use logic

You just got schooled.

no, expose your idea
(I'm not that kind of fedora)

meant to

it's exactly the christcucks justification.

Impact of what? I don't even understand what kind of impact any god has done.

Remember folks, if there is no evidence now, no evidence can ever be found. Ever. We never discovered fire or the wheel, there used to be no evidence that they existed so they must not exist for all time. It's written in stone, now and forever. Game over, Christfags.

your sarcasm is an argument for agnostism mate.

No evidence CAN be found for an ultimate jack-in-the-box like cristcucks argue for. He's the ultimate god of the gaps.

So it IS written in stone. gg, you repressed faggot. It's scary to finally realize your entire life is a lie, huh?

Whether gods exist or not, you can't exactly say that the concept of gods has never affected the world.

Dark matter and God are just concepts used to explain the unknown.

Did you even look?

That priest must've given you one helluva dicking. have his number still?

In what does this proves anything?

First one: In this case, we humans are the biggest gods ever

second one: dark matter is something measured we don't understand. God is something we create to fulfil a gap. It isn't exactly the same bag.

thinly veiled "atheism vs religion" thread

ie a troll thread

OP is a troll and a faggot

but fuck it im going to bight

logic is thought created in the human mind, the true nature of the universe is without thought and so cannot be rationalized.

it would be like trying to sit a bird down to play chess and claiming victory when the bird doesn't appear to conform to your rules

the true nature of the universe doesn't conform to your rules and doesn't care for them either, just becasue it doesn't then obey those rules isn't proof of it's non existence

not only that you, who is within the universe, picked up only some of the pieces inside the universe, bashed it together and made a rule book to explain the observations, then held the rule book up and proclaimed "this is the whole of the universe anyone who thinks any different is a heretic" literally mistaking the book and the words written in for the thing you are trying to describe. and the parallels have been pointed out previously of how this and other aspects of atheism and science make them sound like any other religion spreading their dogma.

Nice adhominem and master suppression technique, cristcuck. At least my ideology doesn't protect and even defend pedophiles

christcuck detected

nope I'm the guy that first defended you but you're too much a retard to argue with christians so I'd rather make fun of you

I've already finished before they've started the race, dumbass.

Well, the whole theory of dark matter was created to fill a gap. Dark matter is only one example. God is a "fuckitlol" approach to the sum. Humans apply answers and name the unknown in science as in religion. Why is it now frowned upon to revel in mystery and let it be as it's current nature until we know?
If you discuss long enough, the desire for your first case becomes increasingly clear. Which is more folly than ignorance.

Was it girthy, or are you just a weakling who doesn't make man shits?

As far as I know, it isn't

you

I just told you I was going to troll you and you take it seriously. Miserable.

And I STILL managed to defeat you in every way. You're THAT pathetic at logic. Fuckin'ell mate.

I'm not doing anything worthwhile, keep going mate!

Perhaps, on a level. But underlying we teach these things as factual and there is a difference in approach to scientific theories & religion when it comes to standards. Personally see that we're addicted to "knowing", and it's interchangeable with self worship.

this is true for both parties, what point are you trying to make?

Atheists' lack of self understanding while tearing down others for it triggers me a bit. That and like to push anons for their opinions, Holla Forums is best board to discuss philosophy on.

thats not a religion

whats the rational justification for superhuman power in sense of god?

Kind of a mix between a religion and a philosophy.

Before the dominant Buddhism took over, there were many competing forms of religious/philisophical schools in india. One of which was called Charvaka.

Many of the old schools of indian religion are like this. Jainism is another one that's a little more love and peacy, where as Charvaka is atheistic.

Indian religions aren't deistic, and are more about reason, and finding a way to the best and most peaceful life.

You can get a lot of good shit from a lot of the hindu religions. Sam Harris is a popular atheist who is involved in Hinduism.

Osho and Sadhguru are good youtube channels to watch. Osho teaches a lot more against other religions.

Eastern Philosophy: The Basics by Victoria S. Harrison is a good beginner book on the history of it all.

Universe must have come from something, evolution has never been done in a laboratory, people can 'sense' God, dead people have felt peace with the world

Just some ideas, some more valuable than others

I agree with you, while being an atheist. I'm just not American.

why?

It has actually, with the evolution of cells resisting to antibiotics.

yeah, why them and not me? How can I tell it's not lies?

wtf

All evolution hasn't been done in a laboratory

And I mean dead people whom came back to life. You know the ones

Well no shit sherlock, it's still a theory, based on thousand years of sexual breeding.

ain't no zombies round here.

That explains it. Atheism in Burgerlandia is mostly hateful children kicking feet at their religious daddies for only buying them a used car on their sweet 16.

Yup, and that's sad because questioning reality is the best kind of philosophy there is.

i hate these threads because i can never tell who is kidding and how much they are taking their point seriously.

And what better reality to question than your own?

Oh mate it's quite easy on this one

None. We came to an agreement on Holla Forums, can I open the champagne?

what makes u think the 1st cause is sentient, sapient, caring, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, created afterlives, angels, demons…
done by many ppl. Fruit flies, corn, bananas. Even creationists took single cellular organisms and evolved them to fit better in new environment, so in return worse in the previous. And they said its not evolution.
how did u get the dead to talk about afterlife? If they r back alive, they clearly werent dead.

Think we have to buttchug and call each other niggers. Cheers, nigger.

so which should i pretend to be to get more people mad?

There's truth to all of it. It's pretty much an analogue for the topics held in debate if you think about it.

none, both of us still here seem to be the peaceful ones.
Except that new challenger here, you can pretend to be a creationnist.

I can't assume myself to have done any evolution. But roses are what they are due to cross-breeding species and keeping the ones that made the best flowers. It gave the big beautiful roses we have today, far from the savage roses that are small and pale in comparison. Still sceptical, or you wanna try it on humans?

u r not needed for evolution to happen.
learn whats a "theory"
non-random breeding, random mutation, natural selection, and the 1, where related members of the population r willing to sacrifice themselves for the members with better genes. Those r the motors of evolution. And then intelligence in form of us used natural selections principles for deliberate selection.

I don't see how you're proving me wrong.

u talk nonsense and made no argument

sounds cool!

you neither mate

u dont know what a theory is and how evolution works

yes I do.

cunts turned an interesting thread into soundbyte wars.

I'm not saying such reasons cannot exists, only that what I have seen so far, is not convincing. Maybe there is a god, maybe there isn't. Only god knows. Besides, atheism is the lack of belief in god. If you want to (re)define atheism as denial of the existence of god, then I will call myself a non-theist. Also, rationalism and atheism is not the same. A theist can be a rationalist, and an atheist can be an empiricist.

The interesting thing is that during the late 19th, and very early 20th century, utilitarianism and classical liberalism (libertarianism) were often combined, just look at Herbert Spencer. Many ancaps consider him among their predecessors.

That there are some people who believe in X for bad reasons, does not mean that X is false.

Previously discussed the ideas, not the person. Another user summed it pretty well

this isnt even wrong. Its so off-topic, that it cant be categorized in right or wrong values

astutely argued, m'user. Hitchens' soulless corpse tips at you

Okay but hearing religious arguments is still fun and the idea of their being a God is still pretty cool

We need to create a church of reasonable people with a super duper cool God

I believe in energy as a God. It defines everything through the particle placement that makes up matter, to the synapse firings about how we feel about them. It doesn't have a political agenda, gives you orgasms and doesn't care about you up front.

Energy for God 2016

You can't answer this without defining the qualifiers of a religion.
Non-theological philosophy and science stand as sets of professed beliefs that rival most religions, but don't really qualify as religions themselves. Yet, there are still eastern religions that are called religions, but aren't focused on deities.

What separates them? Doctrines? Infallibility? Collectively accepted mysticism?

why r u redefining the word "energy" to mean "god"?

Oh, an intelligent answer. I am surprised.

because i want to fill a gaping hole in my existence.

Prove us wrong. Tell your god to come out of hiding.

Eris open her arms to accept you

gotta go back to your science lab to larp this

Do you pray to your power outlet before plugging in your computer?

Essentially, Energy is God. Without Energy, nothing would exist. Every single thing in the universe relies on Energy. Every bit of knowledge is capable of existing and being shared because of energy.
The greatest, nearest source of Energy we have is our own star, the Sun, Sol.
The Sun was probably Man's first Deity.
Playing god isn't deciding who lives or dies. Nature does that every day.
Playing god is attaining limitless Energy, independent of the local star. Creating Energy at will. Harvesting it, harnessing it. Once the final sources of Energy are man-made, Man will be God.
Or maybe every source of Energy is made by some far-off beings, then they would be God.
The universe could have been created by the implosion of an artificial Energy source that got too big for those who tried to play god.

No because it doesn't give a fuck. Just reminds me there's something far greater than my thoughts allow, and achieves a sense of connectivity.

Would they be God or God's servants/disciples?

Is that suppose to be an insult?

Stop parroting buzzwords you hear on the internet.

That's a good question.
Just creating Energy would't make you God. You would have to have complete control over it. No other Energy would be allowed to exist save for the Energy you control at every moment.
Therefore, once someone created Energy, they would simply become below it unless the criteria above were met.
I imagine there could be an ancient priesthood descended from those that first created Energy (but either lost control of it or learned that it couldn't be controlled).
This priesthood would merely go about the universe observing the energy they created long ago. Perhaps they have the technology to create stars, thus spreading Energy, "spreading the Word of God." Maybe they go around teaching about Energy.

couldn't be more on board with this. What's your take on supernovas?

What a shitty religion. Too bad all the fun pagan religions were wiped out.

It could be a complete chance event, something that just happens at the end of a massive star's life.
Or, they could be carefully regulated. Star Tenders plant a star they know will go supernova in billions of years for the express purpose of seeding areas with heavier metals. Such areas would form new stars with planets that are resource rich. The Star Tenders then send out mining divisions to harvest the planets. Galactic resource farming.

Black holes are something I would have to think about. Are they a mistake, or maybe big trash cans?

Maybe the followers of my religion cant get drunk and don't have tits. They wouldn't have a need for fun religions.

What about Universal Unitarianism?

no

The japanese technology cult from Command and Conquer 3

No because pure reason doesn't exist, nor is it necessarily beneficial.

Descartes is great because he inductively showed why faith is a good thing then used that standpoint to illustrate the deductive process.

"I think therefore I am" was the true split between philosophy and science. The scientific method requires the basis of individual thought. Given that the method works as a basis for knowledge, I believe that both individual thought and God must both exist. The method wouldn't be shown as a conclusive way of discerning truths in the lower order (the world around us) without being true in the higher (what is greater than us).

I believe that is called philosophy.

Hello comrades Anonymous

C&C Red Alert 3 Japan Invasion Intro [HD]

You aren't supposed to worship philosophy pr have faith in it

I have faith in the human mind. I "worship" good reasoning so to speak. Even if I don't like the outcome.

Don't put your faith in an abstract phrase like "the human mind", put it in individual action. Worship the ability to question.

Fell asleep, sorry. Black holes are just giant masses with enormous gravity, another form of energy. Black holes in my mind are shrines to the chaotic, ruthless and fair nature of Energy. Nothing with energy is a mistake, but it does lead to the question of the purpose of things defined by energy. Tangible mass v. abstract thoughts and other such.

ys

"BOB"?

wild yeti, what's good

#slacking off as always. Praise "BOB".

yes

lol

theravada buddhism

Only if you are human and they weren't that interesting.

wew!