Libre modular laptops and other computing devices

A company is creating a laptop and computer with some really attractive properties.

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

- No proprietary software at all, FSF certification coming soon
- The computer is contained in a card that can be inserted in a laptop case or a small wooden case, with potentially other cases in the future (tablets, phones, consoles...)
- If a part of the laptop breaks you only have to replace that one part, and you can often 3D print it yourself
- If the computer breaks you only have to get a new card (for ~$65)
- If a better version gets released you only need to get a new card to upgrade, the old case, keyboard, screen etcetera don't go to waste
- All hardware designs are open
- Anyone can create compatible parts
- The card interface is an open standard

The card:
- A20 Dual-Core ARM Cortex A7, 1.2 GHz
- 2 GB RAM
- 8 GB NAND + Micro-SD card slot
- Micro-HDMI
- Micro-USB
- Pre-installed with Debian or Parabola

The laptop:
- 1366×768 screen
- 10 Ah battery, for 6-8 hours
- Non-chiclet keyboard with numpad
- 3 USB ports
- LCD touch screen instead of touchpad

The wooden case:
- 4.5” x 4.5” x 0.5”
- VGA
- 2 USB ports

With this computer you don't have to deal with a lot of the usual bullshit. No throwing away parts that aren't broken, the ability to extend and improve your own computer without relying on a central authority, the bare minimum of proprietary hardware necessary for a working computer, and no proprietary software whatsoever.

Other urls found in this thread:

trisquel.info/en/forum/future-libre-computing-crowd-funding-campaign-starts-now
libreboot.org/faq/#librem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#Large_Physical_Address_Extension
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/picking-a-processor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

obvious shill post but interesting nonetheless

seems like this form of marketing SBCs makes more practical sense than what we've seen with the pi family and beaglebone etc (ie, selling them as "normal" but modular computers, rather than a toy for hobbyists or school children)

the only difference between the two chips offered is that one has the stallman seal of approval?

Shill in which sense? I'm obviously trying to promote it, but I'm just a fan, not associated with it.

The only difference is that one is pre-installed with Parabola and one is pre-installed with Debian. Debian has official repositories for proprietary software, so while the chip has 100% free software when you get it, it can't get FSF approval.

Arm is backdoored too, just like AMD and INTEL, shill somewhere else you fucking faggot.

What's your solution? Giving up?

It doesn't get any better than this for now.

It's a maymay buzzword used by the mentally ill.
You can usually spot the retards by the way they capitalize things, or treat something as an acronym that's not.

I like the idea. It's most certainly not going to be perfect from a freedom perspective, but if it's cheap, then it's still at least better.

It's not perfect, but the general principle doesn't have all the problems of this version. If RISC-V becomes useful in five years or so someone could create a RISC-V card that's compatible with all this.

So it's a SoM that you slot into other devices to make it work? Sounds like the logical conclusion of things like the PocketCHIP.

The SoM itself sounds like a Cubietruck. A20 with 2GB RAM. It should be fine for basic work.

That's worse than most SBCs at this point.
Also, where's the GPU? Am I supposed to do everything in the tty?

I'm happy with my X60 but I think I might buy the Libre Tea card to replace my BBB if it does really get RYF certified

the GPU is inside the A20, it's a Mali

Sauce on that claim?

don't forget the ones that type random words with a (((homosexual lisp))), or the retards that put every sentence in its own paragraph while double/triple posting

Just ignore it user. Thanks I appreciate the thread. This is an important topic today and will be even more so as the government further erodes personal freedoms and liberties. In the future, an unrestricted computer will be branded a dangerous weapon I imagine.

The chief weakness is the reliance on the A20. Typical fabs are incredibly expensive atm, so a breakthrough in manufacturing the silicon is needed tbh.

Those specs really don't seem that great for full time use. Has anyone ever considered getting around the low power of these SBCs by setting up a group of SBCs managed from another SBC and having each workspace on the management SBC be a remote desktop connection to one of the slave SBCs?

This looks like a banana pro with an extra gig of ram. "8GB NAND Flash" is a disingenuous way of saying "built in 8GB SD card."

The first hurdle is the read/write speed is going to be so pitiful that it will likely bottleneck everything else.

Using a modern browser on linux with a 2GHz Atom processor is almost too slow to be comfortable. Now yank it back to an A20 with an SD card for disk storage and it's not feasible at all.

Selling it as a replacement for your laptop is a lie.

I used Firefox for months on a single-core 1.2 GHz Sempron Netbook. You get used to it.

I could manage with this as my laptop.

So you don't capitalism ARM (which is allcaps) but you do capitalise AMD? And then you capitalise Intel? The fuck is wrong with you?

Really you don't need more than 1.2GHz for most tasks, people survived on 700MHz for years. Stop using bloated software

So when is there going to be a intel atom or other x86 based processor in one of these. I mean arm is nice and all but I would like to run more than just a few applications and android on it especially when you have a full laptop.

Also find it hilarious they shoved vga into the box when it already has built in micro hdmi.

Also going to critique it for having only 2gb of ram and that 8gb of nand is basically flash storage. So this fucker is going to be slow as shit.

Why not just shove a emmc slot on it or just use straight emmc memory?

Cannot wait for the threads to pop up when people get these in 3 years and they are amazingly lackluster.

So, full disclosure, I already own something better than this. I own a Thinkpad X60 which has had it's CPU mircocode and BIOS reverse-engineered and replaced with Libreboot, and the OS it runs is Trisquel Gnu-Linux. I don't want to bash this device because it honestly seems really great to me, I feel like there is something I am missing. The CPU on this is proprietary one (and backdoored because let's not kid ourselves here) so I don't understand how it could be compliant with the EOMA68 Specification when it has a proprietary CPU, nor how it would get a RYF certificate when it as a proprietary CPU. Could someone please explain this to me? I feel like there is something I don't understand here.

Second question, if I just get the Libre Tea card what the hell can I even do with it? Or anybody? The card does not seem to have a primary video out but it does have a secondary one?, nor any USB for a keyboard or mouse, or any way to power itself, without buying the wooden thing. I think, I might be seeing it wrong.

What's the differnce between the Libre Tea card and the Practically Perfect Computer Card? It seems like all they did was put sheet metal around it and now it can't run Parabola Gnu-Linux and can't be RYF certified? What happened?

Honestly I want this thing but I need to understand these parts first.

RYF is a software freedom certification. Fully free hardware simply doesn't exist.

EOMA68 is a specification for this kind of card. It doesn't say anything about proprietary CPUs, it's an interface between the card and the case.

You can buy a card separately because the number of cards you buy shouldn't have to be equal to the number of cases. You can switch a single card between the small wooden case and a laptop case, and if a card breaks you can buy a new card without buying a new case with it.

The micro-HDMI output is secondary because all cases also have a primary output. I'm not sure if you can use it without a case, but typically you wouldn't. I think the micro-USB port can be used for both power and peripherals, because it's bi-directional.

The difference between the two cards is the pre-installed operating system. There's no difference in sheet metal or anything else. Parabola is FSF-endorsed and Debian isn't, so the Debian version can't get RFY certification. Debian complies with the FSF's standards as long as you don't use the contrib or non-free repositories, though, so it starts out fully free and as long as you know what you're doing you can keep it that way.

What I was assuming was that there was some extra hardware which the one with sheet metal on it had which made the fully-Libre Parabola on it not possible, thus needing Debian. Is this not true? It would be cool to get the one with the covering just install Parabola on it myself.

Also do you NEED the wooden base? Can I just power it up and hook it to my TV?

Actually, how the fuck do I power it?

No. Like I said, there's no other difference. Debian doesn't come with proprietary firmware by default, just like Parabola.

I'm not sure, but you can probably power it with the micro-USB with the bi-directional power, like I said.

I am also not getting the "earth friendly" shit. Computers and parts are never earth friendly. This really reeks of appealing to the average consumer with buzzwords and lies.

HAHAHHAHAHA, good fucking luck setting up a server or even a router using USB ethernet. I mean maybe you could setup aircrack on it but I am not seeing much else use for it.

into_the_trash.jpeg

I will stick to my custom BBB mod to fit my case thank you

Interesting that you'd take that view heh. Wonder why?

For my part, I cannot wait for Open Hardware, Open Source systems designed for optimized performance, optimized energy efficiency, and very very economical.

That will represent a nice sea change from the current status quo which so many organizations have a vested interest in remaining in place. It will be a great thing to experience tbh.

No one here gives a shit about "Earth Friendly" my little amateur.

I'll help you out a little though heh. Energy efficiency == long battery life. Low complexity assembly == easily modified box.

The Beaglebone Black is a pretty decent little platform.

Why hasn't this resolution died yet?

It absolutely does, but it's still usable.

Source: I've had to run Debian off an SD card for a while when the laptop's hard drive broke.

cool so I can upgrade the RAM or processor right?

we need rms to learn microprocessor design

Where did you read that?
You will be able to upgrade it when someone releases a better card.

okay

Complete fucking cop-out, technically meaningless.
I'll stick with my Chongpad.

And free software = waiting for someone who can program to decide to make a better program and provide it to you. What's your point?

Me too user

Was not the rapsberry pi supposed to be exactly what you described? Sure worked out did it not.

Well yeah if you desolder them without somehow breaking the PCB in the process. I mean shit you can upgrade a raspberry pi if you really want to.

This entire thing sounds like they are trying to do what has already been done but making it into a metal case and flat. Nothing I am seeing here is new or "INNOVATIVE"

I want one.

Jesus christ, you freetards would enjoy a literal pile of shit being placed in your hands if you were told it was "libre".

What's with you freetards using spic language anyway?

As a freetard, I wish they could instead go the other direction with:
* 17" 4k screen
* 6 USB 3.0 ports
* 2 USB 2.0 ports
* 2 gigabit ethernet ports
* 1 eSATA
* 1 VGA
* 1 DVI
* 1 HDMI
* 2 batteries each 10 hours
* Documented, unlocked and juicy as hell graphics card
you get the picture.

English doesn't have an unambiguous word for free as in freedom. We can start using "frei" if you want.

Doable, but expensive. Some of these are available already, and the others could be supported with a new housing.

Not supported by the EOMA standard, I think. You could maybe get some of it with ports on the non-EOMA side of the card, by designing a new card.

You couldn't put this inside the card, so the link between the graphics card and EOMA card would be limited. Maybe impossible. A more powerful GPU than the current one is possible, of course, but it would have to fit in the card.

they stated this clearly on the trisquel forum
trisquel.info/en/forum/future-libre-computing-crowd-funding-campaign-starts-now

When they started the project and two years after the start their was only one cpu available for what they wanted.
Gigabyte and sata was initially there but the manufacturers didn't see the needs to support more bus like PCIe or more since arm is a niche use for phone and tablets.

I blame mainstream society. government comes from it. it pays Intel and Facebook for the backdoors, etc.

how is that disingenuous. that's literally what it is and how it is called. SD cards are NAND flash but not all NAND flash comes in the form and factor of an SD card.

lots of smartphones and tablets use slow flash memory, and those platforms aren't specially known for running slim software

hopefully never. avoiding Intel and x86 and the compromise to software freedom they entail is one of the design goals behind this product

can't wait to laugh at you once again as we did when we unboxed our Novenas

do you mean the circuit design? yes, it is.
if you are going to assume that you must assume as well that the Intel CPU in your X60 is backdoored too.
becuase the spec doesn't cover using a libre CPU?
because the RYF certification doesn't cover hardware? Really, stop assuming you know what these things mean before you express an opinion about them.

I don't know how to explain what a universal computer is for to someone who clearly has never used one. You just need to experience a computer to know what those things are for ;)

that's the only difference. Since the Mali GPU can't work without proprietary software the FSF agreed to certify the variant that uses Parabola if and only if costumers were aware of the fact at the time of buying, so that they wouldn't be tempted to install the proprietary 3D driver after purchase.

that's right. and it supports ethernet-over-usb too, so you can power the card and, say ssh into it, with a single usb cable. the beaglebone black does this too.

no, but it provides some useful extra ports that connect to the EOMA68 pin-out
yes, from the micro HDMI port from the bare card or from the VGA port from the wooden case. you'll need cables and maybe adapters depending on what is available on your TV.

yes, the micro-USB cable. It's like charging an Android device

I also think the lack of proper Ethernet was a mistake.

not going to happen. you actually need more resources than personal computers, an internet connection and a loose group of dedicated neckbeards to manufacture hardware. Let's hope that RISC-V comes soon. That Power8 workstation Talos is also a good step in the right direction

ironical, because even if you are using a Libreboot'ed Thinkpad the amount of proprietary hardware there is greater. All of it is proprietary to be precise.

we don't get to choose. there's little variety of hardware that will fully work with accountable software. remember ganno/loonix desktop users are like 2% of all desktops, and only a fraction of them care about things being "libre".

libre is the same in French and Spanish, yet French loan words are regarded as more elegant and enriching than bare Germanic words among English speakers. Interesting, isn't it.

At FOSDEM I heard one of the developers say that Windows compatibility was a very-long term goal. Using Windows on a laptop like this is better than using Windows on a traditional laptop, and it could work as a "gateway" because you can demonstrate the full GNU/Linux experience just by popping in a different card.

Creating FSF-tier computing is certainly a goal, but not exclusively. They already deviate from it by offering Debian cards. The primary goal is the standard. If x86 cards compatible with that standard get made it's probably a good thing overall because it makes switching away from x86 easier.

it's not only that, it will also show the asia market that some consumers wants free/libre hardware.
And since it will grow more powerfull hardware will be made for this.

. . .
K. If you've really convinced yourself of this idea, then imo there's little point in discussing it otherwise with. You're probably a shill or at least a bit delusional. Maybe a little of both.

And, judging by the incredible fucking textwall you shat out, I'd estimate the latter is the correct view.

Heh, at least you're consistent friendo. The RPi is a piece of unusable shite simply because its foundation has become inundated by SJWs, not because it didn't originally do an exemplary job of pushing back the costs of low-end computing. I'll continue to assume for the moment you're just shilling to discourage Holla Forums from investigating or even contributing to eventually innovative, power and cost friendly alternatives to platforms that have long ago sold their souls to powerful interests. Given that assumption (as before) I'll be quite comfortable calling into question (again) your motives for this position.

Heh regardless, you and your ilk will still see computing get out from under these many shackles. And the most amusing part to me personally is that it will come into being for the most part at the hands of people you consider impotent, and mere mouths to control; kids.

If you're a fan of freedom the Pi wasn't great from the start. It requires a lot of blobs to boot, it comes pre-installed with Minecraft, and part of the hardware is illegal to use unless you buy an extra key to unlock it. They even made a deal with Microsoft to officially support Windows on it.

thinkpenguin shill detected
i don't fucking trust any of you, your latest computer have skylake in it
gtfo, you're no lover of freedom

Just say free you taconigger. Get out of my country.

Retard detected.

>micro-HDMI
that's worse than a netbook from 2009

Are you saying you can have free hardware with a nonfree processor?
Because if that's the case you're either dumb or insane.

So will it be a thing it has been less than a week and the project collected 11% of the money needed.

Not this again!

Posturing implies no results

Show me where they added value over preexisting solutions

hey look that's easy to do

BZZZT CLOSED HARDWARE
nope, not worth it. If I want a small computer I'll get a pi3

You couldn’t choose worse

But it

Newer Intel processors require proprietary blobs to even run and have a smaller secondary processor (the Management Engine) that has control of your hardware at a lower level than you ever will.

for 1/3rd the price I don't really care

You should. It's hardly worth using free software when your hardware conspires against you.

libreboot.org/faq/#librem

No, one of the primary reasons to use free software is because you can't trust what you can't read. Blobs running at higher privs than the kernel defeat the point of that, it's like a titanium padlock on a creaky wooden door.

Additionally it isn't terribly expensive to pick up a BBB, or an X200.

Are you saying that the pi 3 runs 100% libre software? It really doesn't. There's an enormous blob for the GPU that is, for some reason, also used to boot.

I agree though that's besides the point

blobs don't matter if the hardware is compromised and that goes for x200s especially with their intel cpus.

I'm saying it hardly matters. Triple the cost for 100% libre software that doesn't even ensure security

This project is about modularity more than it is about 100% libre software, though.

Until libre hardware and making of becomes a reality we can't do much about that. With the X200, it does have Intel ME but it's one of the early ones that you can neuter (its executable code is on flash, you can disable the ME and erase it). Sure it's possible for other vulnerabilities to exist but that's questionable and later Intel systems are a clear downgrade in terms of requiring blobs and later Intel ME revisions.

Same deal with the Pi. The BBB can be run without the graphics blob if you don't need it. The Pi offers no such option.

ME is part of AMT, which is much more than flash memory.

It has always been a coprocessor

It can be disabled by BIOS mods

You can't really verify that though, and it would be no more safe than using Windows 10 with the spyware "disabled".

I'm sure the BIOS parts can be disabled, the integrated co processor cannot

guess you write 16th century English.

This looks really cool.

What the fuck? Today is 2016. Why could not they put at least 8?
Looks like a diversion to make free things look stupid.

It would drive up the cost a lot, especially in a card that fits in your wallet. Not to mention that the CPU is 32-bit, so it wouldn't support it.

I see what you did there

Lol wut. It's a bare computer you gibbering moron, it comes "pre intalled with" whatever your distributor chose to put on the SD card.

That is utter bullshit. RAM is cheap nowadays, even at one-off consumer pricing.

It's quite telling what they think of you if Minecraft or Windows is worth including out-of-the-box. It's not a deal-breaker because even the best candidates for libre hardware typically need you to clear off a bunch of proprietary rubbish. However the Pi requires blobs to function at all whereas you can get by without them on some SBCs.

No matter how cheap RAM is, having 8, 16, 32, or whatever number of GB you think is enough is retarded when the device is only capable of actually using about 2-3GB of it. Why have 8GB or more RAM on a device that is only capable of using about 1/4 of it, or at absolute best 1/2?

AHAHAHA! They disabled most of the SIP blocks! It isn't even as functional as a bare SoC!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#Large_Physical_Address_Extension

Oh, wow, how evil, including optional support for more OSs. Sort of like all the gibbering retards here who think there are complete fully open sores firmware and driver stack for ANY EXISTING ARM PLATFORM.

The official SD card images come with Minecraft pre-installed. It's not just a distributor thing.

You're taking it out of context. That was criticizing the statement that the Raspberry Pi was supposed to be like this FSF-tier thing.

Libre is french too, you nog.

new update witch is interesting
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/picking-a-processor