OH FUCK IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN

OH FUCK IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookresources.com/article/batman-defeats-doomsday-dc-comics-snickers-ad
community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?81327-Batman-Defeats-quot-Doomsday-quot-In-DC-Comics-Snickers-Ad
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If that guy in cossack hat isn't called Polkovnik then I'm never buying KFC ever again

Got a storytime of the first one? It looks like it falls into the "so bad it's good" category.

It's called "papakha".

I thought you'd never ask. From New York Comic-Con 2015, it's Kentucky Fried Chicken Presents: The Colonel of Two Worlds! Starring Colonel Sanders, The Flash, and Booster Gold.

I remember when I first heard about this, I demanded it be a ongoing series. It's so stupid that it reminds you of the fun comics are capable of.

Apparently DC heard my call. With any luck, I'll soon be able to have a subscription to the continuing adventures of the Kentucky Colonel as he fights for Finger Licking Goodness across the mutliverse.

Despite encountering many great wonders in his time with the Justice League, Flash is sincerely humbled being in the presence of Colonel Sanders. Perhaps being a Kentucky Colonel is paramount to being the Pope in the DC Universe?

Considering this comic stars two of his favorite characters, the Flash and Booster Gold, I wonder if Geoff Johns eats twinkees with his fried chicken. That seems like something right up his alley.

The comic is pure gold. Pink Slime Ray? Awesome.

KFC really got their money's worth with this one. Pity the rest of DC's output isn't this good.

I nearly spit my water all over my laptop. I can tell this is going to be entertaining. Maybe we should send a message by buying all this fun goofy bullshit while letting the edgy and SJW-tier shit rot on the shelves.

Damn good storytime, OP.

I'm not the user who showed you all the first issue, but I have the second. This is one of the few times I actually enjoyed reading a DC comic.

Unfortunately, you can't. DC is literally give this stuff away for free. The second issue is available right now on comixology for no money, but fuck that site.

Only with meme magic can we send a message.

That's a damn shame. That was a more entertaining read than 99% of bullshit nowadays.

DO IT FAGGOT.

Oh lord. It's going to be a Colonel Darkseid, isn't it?

Please no one make jokes about how the chicken salesman always seems to have a friendship with people who run really fast.

When I saw Colonel Grodd I spit out my drink. I wish comics were fun like this.

FUCK

I hope you're all noticing that unlike comic tie ins with Subway and other promotional material, there's no advertising blurbs, just over the top lunacy.

And that's the end. I can only hope that 5 months from now during the next DC reboot, they include this.

It's 2016! Colonel should be a woman!

I wish DC didn't retreat from social media. I'd love to spam them with comments on how Colonel Sanders is my favorite Rebirth character.

Somebody call the feds.

Wha….What the fuck did I just read?

So does the chicken one serve fried people or just sides
cause they needed him to get the eleven herbs and spices recipe meaning he cooks meat that aint chicken

One of them was a woman, though.

Someone compile all of these

The Colonel is a woman. In Earth-11.

That was great

Not kryptonite, Krypton. That colonel is a Kryptonian. Possibly from a universe where Krypton wasn't destroyed.

umf.

Just added them to Holla Forums's Volafile.

This comic is glorious
If more DC titles were this good, I would actually buy them instead of waiting for the really good or really bad ones to show up here.

Link?

DC's editorial can learn a thing or two from this comic.

Also, it took me a while to realize that Earth-51 is really the KAMANDI EARTH. It seems even the Kentucky Colonel couldn't survive the Great Disaster, but his recipe lived on.

It's the sharethread stickied on the front page. Just click the link.

Some one help me, My sides are in intergalactic space

It's like I was sent back in time to when comics never made any sense. Not that that is bad of course.

The best thing I've read in a long while from DC. We need more comics that can get a little silly but in a good way.

Now when are they going to collab with the other fast food joints and reenact that mentioned franchise War in Demolition Man, of course changing the outcome where KFC wins in the end. Or to please all the fast food companies, have multiple comics where they win in their own respective universes.

Wait there was a Subway one?

This is giving me flashbacks to that freakazoid episode with Norm Abram

And this is why I come to Holla Forums, thanks for the storytime OP. This is one of those few times I saved a comic from here

KFC and Taco Bell are already owned by the same company.

this is really bad

i can't read any more

I'd argue that these are some of the best of the big two comics to come out in the last five years. Maybe even in the last ten.

It's fucking sad that a comic has to be complete product for capes to be fun.

it's cringey and tries too hard

it reminds me of @sonic_the_hedgehog

there's some good moments in there, but still

Yes, it was promotional material for some athletes that were promoting Subway. Don't get it twisted, this comic was nowhere near as good because it was just them talking. The thing that really breaks immersion in these promotion comics, believe it or not, is actual promotion.

With actual promotion, you have characters name dropping the restaurant name and products, meaning that there's an immersion shattering ® or © after it. Yet, in the KFC comics, amazingly, not one character actually says the phrase Kentucky Fried Chicken. Then there's the writing itself. In other promotional material, you have things like gymnasts kicking Mr. Freeze because the avocado slices in the artery stopping Subway sandwhiches gave her a boost of energy. That shit breaks the suspension of disbelief. The KFC comics do it different with have a goofy comic story, but just have a very simple theme of "KFC works hard to make good chicken; other competitors won't!" And it gets this across by Evil Colonel Sunders shooting at the heroes with a pink goo gun or Colonel Sanders punching Colonel Grodd. There's very little actual promotion of product, and that's what makes the comic great. Not to mention, it makes sure no one takes itself seriously with dialogue like "Finger Licking Fool".

I think this comic should set an example on how promotional comics should be written.

You might just be dumb.

i am on a level of satire you will never be able to comprehend

your oceans are kiddie pools to me uwu

If you want a better basis of comparison, Grodd in the Subway comics tries to subdue basketball star Blake Griffin by making him tired, but it doesn't work since Blake just ate a Subway® sandwich with avocado slices, making him too energized to be brainwashed. It's tries to ground itself in a real product making the comic too nonsensical to be digested.

Luckily, KFC does it the hard way and goes for pure comic silliness. There's no way to break the suspension of disbelief because there's no real-life product to hold it down.

Alright.
You might just be dumb, though.

I would just post these Subway comics with how much I'm talking about them, but they're not very good and they're very hard to find. They used to be available for download from the DC comics website, but for some strange reason all the Subway promotional material is gone, including the one where Superman teams up with Jared Fogle.

who said i was joking

my point was this is entry-level satire

it doesn't come off as anything better than 'huh' and is usually just cringey

like, okay, kfc got dc to make them a comic to shill their nigger eatery

nice

IS THAT JARED?
This comic will be pretty awkward now if any children are in it

It's not good, but it's good enough that I don't mind it.

The best part is that it's true. Rather than try to justify a normal guy being in league with the Flash by using his chicken, it just says "Flash and the Colonal Sanders are together because they're best buds" and "he's just that awesome".

Fantastic things are far more believable when you don't try to ground them in reality.

Also, the Sanders vs Sunder showdown with them in the classic "Hulk clash pose" in is pure fanservice to older readers. I love it.

I'm starting to think it's not just the writing, but the company itself. KFC might've given DC more of a free reign to do whatever they want. Dealing with promotion and company licenses are usually very strict business since a company doesn't want to take a chance on bad PR. There's going to be a lot of restrictions like a minimum requirement on how many times a character says a product name or what a character can do concerning that product. KFC probably just let DC tell an interesting story with a note of "Make sure Colonel says hard way a lot."

As weird as this is to say, the DC-KFC crossover comics feel more like a labor of love than a promotion pamphlet.

Who wrote it? Do we even know?

I'm honestly impressed at how entertaining these two comics are. The last thing from DC I've read is Multiversity, and seeing the references to the alternate Earth's is pretty awesome. (Though disappointed they didn't show All Star, western or Red Son(?) Earth's)

If this was at retail I would probably buy these two just for the absurdity of it all. It's like so ridiculous no one would be believe you it actually exists until you showed them a physical copy.

Because of this comic someone can cosplay as Captain Cold/Mirror Master in a Easy Fried Chicken or KFC uniform and say it's legit now.

It can't be someone at DC, because someone with actual writing talent made this.

I laughed
I enjoyed this
I was unironically pleased with the content of this comic in ways I thought Big Two publications would never be able to pull off again

It was like the best of the Silver Age distilled and resurrected before my eyes. It's probably not even that good but compared to the serious frontline stories it's glorious.

This is what comics need to become again. No political commentary, no extended and labored angst, no "mature content for mature consumers" horseshit. Just a good old, balls-to-the-wall crazy, pants-on-head retarded premise done confidently and without shame within the confines of a high-octane-action multiverse full of super-powered crime-fighters in colorful spandex. We need more people making and visibly supporting stuff like this.

According to the DC wiki, it was written by Tony Bedard and Shaine Edwards.

Edwards is kind of a twat.

I might actually pay money for comics if they were all this wild.

I lost it at the mere thought that they went with helping run this place for a MONTH.

Damn… now I gotta beat off to a female version of Col. Sanders tonight.

Wtf, was this licensed by KFC like those Robot Chicken skits?

If he can make more comics like this, he can kick stray dogs for all I care. I haven't laughed this hard at a comic in ages.

Huh, this actually works better you'd expect given Flash is semi-consitently shown to need to eat more than normal normal.

Man this is like a Comic book. Remember when comic books existed and where about something?

Not just reality warping wank or whatever else. Bad guy does something, 2-3-4 issues good guy overcomes. Good parts become part of the ongoing comics.

Not forever just rocking back and fourth on reboots.

If they can do that, they can all give retroactive permission to Rebellion to finally reprint the Judge Dredd Cursed Earth story in full.

This is like the only big 2 comic I've enjoyed in years and it's a fucking kfc ad
Good lord

I'm surprised no one is talking about that fact that the Colonel keeps at least one full suit under his suit, incase his first suit gets dirty.

Is Col. Sanders the greatest comic book character?

The best comics of recent times aren't ones with pricetags and based on beloved and classic comic franchises, but free ones that are basically just ads for fast food joints, F2P games, etc. Fuck me.

Think about it this way, all the cartoons people still remember and love from the 80s were just half hour long toy ads. Sometimes you tell a better story selling something than you do when your goal is JUST to tell a story. You care more about being entertaining, for certain. It also takes the writer's ego out of the equation, since they're working specifically for their client. Though it won't always turn out this fucking good.

Probably because those best comics aren't trying to emotional, edgy, or progressive Saying that, I wonder when Progressive Auto will try to get DC to make a comic for them

That makes perfect sense. I was even thinking to myself "its almost as if someone making a comic thats basically just an ad makes them not give a shit, and that lack of giving a fuck brings out talent". If DC and Marvel quit making their own comics and only did ads they were commissioned to do by other companies, they might return to their former glory.

Less "do comics for other companies" and more "do comics to sell Superman/Captain America toys, not to push an agenda".

Yes! If Avengers comics for example became just ads for the new Avengers movies (and thus ads for the toys and general merchandise too), they might actually be great again. And with how the comic industry is going under while movies based on comics are very successful, the comics will most likely end up as ads for the movies and merchandise.

If you think about it, the urge to sell toys would at THE VERY LEAST inspire writers to say "the main character should be LIKABLE". If they were selling Squirrel Girl toys, they'd probably say "Well, the comic should be cute and fun" instead of… whatever the fuck it is.

I wonder what all the Marvel cartoons are doing now, if they're not selling toys. Because they're all shit.

The current Squirrel Girl couldn't be a toy, yes. Instead of wasting money on making a toy no one would buy (what girl wants an ugly toy, anyway?), they would have to make the toy nice looking (and probably deal with angry bitches), or just make the comic art and the toy pretty. If they still wanted to push an agenda, they could try a "action figures for girls" angle or something.

Picture is a good example. BTAS/STAS/JL and others were good cartoons that could easily push toys into the hands of kids and collectors, and the not fucking ugly style meant that those kids/collectors could get toys that looked the same as or pretty damn close to the show's style.

It's not that they "push an agenda", but that Marvel and DC are so focused on producing "good" comics that they're fucking stifling any real creativity.

Just look at DC's Dan Dildo. Under his leadership, editorial has become utterly draconian and meddling to an extreme degree. Dildo is so utterly convinced that he knows what makes a good comic that he's created an environment where the writers and artists are completely strangled by editorial.

This is what makes this fucking ad for fried chicken an anomaly. I doubt Dildo or any of his flunkies gave a fuck about making this shit "good", so it allowed the people working on it to make an actually entertaining comic.

GET THE FUCK OUT RIGHT NOW. That is not what's going on at all, it's the exact fucking opposite.

Marvel doesn't care whether or not the books sell anymore, because their money comes from the movies. They just have to keep publishing the comics so they maintain the rights. They want to do this as cheaply as possible, so they hire the writers and artists no one wants now. They know there's nothing good about their books to advertise with, so they peddle outrage. When nothing in your book can interest the reader, all you have to fall back on is making them angry so they'll pay attention.

DC is backpeddling (pathetically) and Marvel is doubling down (embarrassingly).

His point about editorial direction does seems to stand though. I know DC editors handle things different than Marvel, and Marvel more or less lets their "big" guys like Bendis do whatever stupid shit he wants without anyone stepping in and saying "wait, that's retarded". Though the two times I know the editor really stepped in on a writer on the Marvel side was the two lowest points of JMS's Spiderman run. The whole Gwen/Osborn story (which should have just been scrapped BEFORE the artists drew anything instead of altered, because it didn't sound like a great story either way) and of course One More Day. I don't know if anyone at Marvel is actually shaping the DIRECTION of characters, good stories just happen to get written sometimes when no one is looking. Even little details like Captain Marvel's hair changing from panel to panel point to a company that has fallen from just a decade or so ago, when they'd have character guides that artists had to follow.

I get that it's tough to decide how much editorial power is too much or too little, but when that balance is off, readers take notice.

That shit got me good as well

well fuck

welp now I'm hungry

I think this comic captures the exact formula that makes for good superhero comics. It's a mixture of both parody and sincerity.

THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

I'm fucking losing my shit here.

when you're dealing with multiverse 101, one of the first things you do is opposites:

It's just one of the staples of doing a multiverse gathering

Were these comics actually sent to comic stores? Because I would love to have physical copies.

It's over the top, but it isn't stupid. It revels in it's ridiculous premise.

Regretfully, no. This is only being given away at Comic-con.

DC's hatred for money continues.

Since when do the Rogues care about taking over the world? They're exactly the type who realize it's too much work when you could just rob a bunch of banks.

It says why right here, stupid

All they say is that now they want to take over the world.

They're complaining that they're flat broke, they weren't flat broke after Sunders put his plan into action.

I unironically liked this. It's kind if like early HK cinema; corny, but entertaining and light-hearted.

Comics should take note. I just realize that they make their diverse characters way too serious and unrelatable, unintentionally removing them of any charm they have. In short, more "Jackie Chan" less "Ellen Page".

First anime, now this!

This is absolutely amazing!

This reminds me of something else.

Shit. Only Ebay stuff I saw for it was asking $50. I'd pay a bit for it, but not that much. Any other places I should look for specifically for a good deal on the books?

Superheroes with a fruit pies comic was pretty common back then and got tons of it. You can't miss it if you read old comics.

Print em out yourself.

I might just do that. Time to buy more printer ink.

After reading this, I would buy a good Colonel Sanders action figure.

DC does it again.

holy shit, thats absolutely fucking hilarious. I was cackling like a madman for almost a minute

Feminist butthurt in 3, 2, 1…

What a tweest!

I heard mention that this was actually an ad in an issue where Superman was fighting Doomsday, which may have led to some momentary confusion.

Oh, they're already raging alright.

comicbookresources.com/article/batman-defeats-doomsday-dc-comics-snickers-ad
community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?81327-Batman-Defeats-quot-Doomsday-quot-In-DC-Comics-Snickers-Ad

I don't even like Snickers that much, I almost feel like buying one.

I hope we get more ads and promotional comics in the future. Nice to see fun stuff.

bwaaahahahaha

Maybe things will get better

That's Snickers ad was pretty good. The only possible improvement could have been more foreshadowing that DD was WW. (like possible traces of her costume like wristguards on DD).

How much projection can these people create?

How can this shit be sexist, Batman even makes reference to Robin going crazy when hungry.

Great . . . Now linking cranky from "hunger" to "periods" because she's a woman. There's a lot of other shit that men and woman can both experience that can make people cranky (stress, lack of sleep, uncomfortable situations, cabin fever).

Bullshit, this person probably hasn't had a Snickers in years. And most likely buys/consumes other product from Mars inc (M&Ms, Mars, Skittles, dog food, etc) without realizing it.

Holly shit DC puts out a legit funny ad and of course the feminists get asshurt about it.

But hey if they're telling us to shut up when it comes to bringing up all the sexist shit in Fembusters then we should tell them to shut the fuck up when it comes to ads.

What utterly miserable people.

As incredible as it sounds, some of Squirrel Girl's covers make her look adorable. That said, I think they are done by guest artists.

But you see user, that's different. Women can't be sexist to men because of the power dynamics. You're ignorant.

holy shit I havent seen that image in over 10 years!

Oh wait I forgot, sexism is power plus privilege and the only two people that have those two things are straight white cis men.

Also punching up and not punching down and all that other nonsense.

Or maybe, just a wild shot in the dark here, the ad is actually telling you to eat a snickers.

Did they miss the quip that Batman made about Robin?
Have they not seen any of the commercials on tv where people turn into crazy/old/male/female/whiny actors until they eat a snickers?
These people are just unreal.