Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Well Anons, it's out on Netflix or your favorite pirating site after a book series for children that ran from 1999 to 2006 and an underwhelming movie in 2004, we're onto a Netflix series that covers the first 4 books The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window, and The Miserable Mill, with the end of the last episode covering the very beginning of the fifth book The Austere Academy, over the course of 8 hour long episodes.

What did you all think? I thought it was decent, not terrible, but not great either. I'm not totally on board with the world building itself. It feels like a rip on something Burton-esque but lacks the charm or dedication to pull it off. The villains for the most part aren't frightening enough to be threatening and are too stupid to be taken seriously. The androgynous faggot is particularly annoying. The world itself is a touch too whimsical for my tastes, which is something that the 2004 movie is also guilty of, and still feels odd because it's something I don't recall at all from the books.

The script is also taking liberties with the books which is not really a bad thing considering the first four are rather short and bare. The Quagmires are interwoven and the strings that appear later, the spyglasses, V.F.D., the Sugar bowl gets a wink, make the story more interesting, but come with a plot holes surrounding how ill informed the characters are. Montgomery and Josephine are particularly bad about this.

Random dialogue quirks that feel like they're supposed to be funny hit flat. The narrator will say a character is thinking something and a character will say what the narrator said they were thinking. A character will say a sentence with an intermittent difficulty SAT word and then define the word in the next sentence to the reply "We know what [word] means." Poe's coughing fits translate into him coughing in peoples faces.

Who did Olaf better Jim Carrey or NPH? Or are they too different to compare? Carrey's Olaf wasn't a very frightening character, but he was fun. NPH's is more dastardly, but still suffers from the same issues as his troupe in that he's not very threatening. And the kids playing the orphans are really boring. Again.

How do you do fellow anons

I hate writing like this.

It's true to the books, but it's annoying in the books too. I don't know which idiot thought it would work on screen.

I already exhausted myself in the last two threads so here's the tl;dr version

THEY'RE ALL JEWS!!!

Probably the author, he's reddit personified if you read anything outside his kids books.

I didn't really mind that shit tbh. It's not like their identities/characters were based on their race ha know? Like hidden figures or fence where the race was a large factor

cuck

Go back to Holla Forums, cuck.

BO never ever rulecuck

God Holla Forums is cancer.

I was just shitposting, pretending to be Holla Forums is the most effective way of derailing threads

This.
Express any sentiment slightly east of west and sudocuck will show up without fail to cry the thread to death.

Maybe they were going for the tim burton feel because of the darker comedic tone of the story?

Yeah I really liked that part of the tv series and it also gets the newcomer second guessing who they are

It's partially why I hated Dune because they would always have every thought be audible and took up a quarter of the film.

It's shit and that's really all I need to say about it.

It all balances out m8

What did he mean by this?

Poe sounds like poor if you were some dumb nigger or redneck drawling

or if you're ordering a tasty sandwich in Louisiana

Does Lemony dislike niggers?

Technically Olaf would be a nigger lite for mistaking poe as poor. Poe didn't mispronounce poor but said his name.

Does Olaf want to fuck that girl? He seemed content getting her as a sex slave wife for real even if he wanted the inheritance.
Isn't she 14?

lol at the never explicitly stated gay lumbar couple.

I don't remember the books, I think Carey's Olaf did, I don't think NPH's Olaf did, and the casting couch directors definitely did on both occasions.

Lumbar mill was full of homos including the bosses and the hypnotist and crossdressing NPH.

The opposite infact

but there aren't any in the book….

Go read his interviews specifically his reddit ama.

Enjoy.

I'll note ahead that I've never read any of the books and I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters.

It was alright, but the modern humor and "quirky" shit got old. The baby referencing Uber made me cringe fucking hard.
The first time Olaf breaks the fourth wall, it was alright, but when they did it another 3 times, it was already fucking played out.
The cutaways to Snickett were way too fucking frequent, and lasted way too fucking long. Some episodes felt like they were filled halfway with Snicket just monologuing about how sad everything was. Warburton was fine as Snicket, but he should have been worked into scenes, or just been a narrator over the top, instead of cutting to his thick face every 30 seconds. It felt like they were trying to work him in naturally for the first two books, but just fucking gave up by The Wide Window.

I'm not usually a fan of incredibly serious series, but this really needed to be a touch more serious. Self-awareness is fine, but they needed to exercise some fucking moderation here. All the "comedic" repetition gets old too, where the narrator will say something, and then the character will say the same exact thing. It worked comedically maybe 25% of the time they did it. In fact, most of the humor in the series was the same joke repeated several times.
The character traits also needed to be far stronger. Klaus is supposed to be a huge bookworm, reading fucking everything, but what you see of him reading is next to nothing. Most of the reading he does in the series is with Violet anyway. Violet is supposed to be an inventor, and almost nothing ends up coming of that either.
Everything involving Will Arnett and that other chick was not necessary. It wasn't funny, it didn't tie into the plot really, and it was mostly just obnoxious. I get why they did it, but they really should have just not done it. They contribute to the stupidest, worst fucking scene in the series, when they help them start a fire on the boat in The Wide Window because Klaus is trying to use a lense to start a fire using the light from the lighthouse, but it's not strong enough, but Will Arnett's binoculars that he's using from a fucking airplane at least a mile away reflect enough extra light to start the fire. Holy fucking shit, I had to stop the episode and start it back up later I was so put off by how goddamned stupid it was.
Neil Patrick Harris wasn't a terrible Olaf in acting, but he looked wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but he looked like a 20-year-old dressed up as an old man. It might just be that he looks far too young for the role.

All in all, it was okay. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really particularly care for the series already. The kids actually did a decent job acting, which is surprising. As far as how good the episodes are, The Reptile Room is the best, and The Wide Window is the fucking worst. The humor is occasionally okay, but usually horribly cloying (like it's trying too hard).

Also it's filled with niggers, mudshits, and faggots.

;_;

I agree with most everything else you've said, but for whatever reason I'm still interested in seeing what they do next season. I can't remember the books very well, but the fifth was my favorite, and it looks like they used plenty of screen time to set up the Quagmires. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lego Batman and Cobie scenes were replaced with Duncan and Isadora scenes going forward now that their parents are presumably dead.

It was jsut a way to lead the audience and then wham it's another group of children who are happy. It also leads into the next story obviously if you see the children at the end of thr season with the parts of thr spy glass

Carrey was great when he tried and didn't overdo it. NPH was discount Carrey.

Jim carrey was shit
New olaf is bad because he's trying to emulate carrey's shitty olaf
Neil patrick's olaf would be so much better if he went with his original spin like he wanted

I don't really give a shit. Poe was minimally entertaining at least. Olaf is supposed to be a crossdressing actor, so being a faggot makes sense.

I understand that, but it was horribly and clumsily done. They spent way too much fucking time and at least an independent scene in every single episode to set up for a 30-second bait-and-switch that had no direct effect in the entire season anyway. There was a good way to do it (which would have been the initial tease and then only show them in the episode with the bait and switch, so you aren't wasting heavy amounts of the very limited screen time you've got on a one-off gag), and they didn't do it.
Not to mention that it was painfully obvious. The kids never point out their parents specifically in the photograph, and the parents (I guess they're the Quagmires based on the other posts) never mentioned their kids' names directly.
It should have been done well or not at all. It was clumsy and wasted a lot of screen time on something that's not even relevant to the plot in the entire season it ran for.

Anyone have the tweets from the producer talking about how sezy 14 year olds are?

No tweets, but there are plenty of Anons who can attest to the perfect geometry of Violet's lips in both movie and television.
2D Violet is strictly better