Normalfag scripting

Will it ever happen, generalized beyond a few single-program internal features, or is it just a pipe dream?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.en.html
youtu.be/gveTy4EmNyk?t=1388
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It could happen, but normalfags need to get over their irrational fear of programming first. Something similar happened before with secretaries and Emacs.

gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.en.html
"It was Bernie Greenberg, who discovered that it was (2). He wrote a version of Emacs in Multics MacLisp, and he wrote his commands in MacLisp in a straightforward fashion. The editor itself was written entirely in Lisp. Multics Emacs proved to be a great success — programming new editing commands was so convenient that even the secretaries in his office started learning how to use it. They used a manual someone had written which showed how to extend Emacs, but didn't say it was a programming. So the secretaries, who believed they couldn't do programming, weren't scared off. They read the manual, discovered they could do useful things and they learned to program."

I think the hardest part in convincing normalfags is the question "why should I learn programming". Too many programmers have their heads stuck up their asses and see programming as a high art. There is nothing wrong with that, but we also have to realize that there is a different kind of programming, a low-brow programming craft. I like to compare it with everyday handywork everyone knows: you don't need to know how to fix a flat tire on your bike, but when your tire get eventually punctured you will be glad you know how to do it yourself rather than having to pay an expensive repair shop. A normalfag will never be a real programmer, just as a normalfag will never be a real bike mechanic, but that's no reason to be completely incompetent.

Windows has done a great disservice to this mentality though. Windows is shit, but it's hard to believe that something can be shit when everyone is using, so come to the conclusion that computers aren't for you. Windows also makes the CLI very much a 3rd class citizen, and while the CLI can be scary you can always limit yourself to a safe subset of it, there is no need to not use it entirely.

WHY(?) would you want normalfags to be able to program?

If you need to use scripts to operate the PC for general normie shit, you fucked up.

So that they would waste less time doing the sorts of repetitive, predictable things computers are supposed to do, thus increasing economic efficiency. Also, to provide newer and more intuitive methods for automation that might eventually trickle down to make real programming somewhat less noisome.

Scripting doesn't necessarily have to some activity distinct from user input, but as merely another sort of user input, one that allows more complex or flexible requests to be made in a speedier fashion.

Enjoy copying and pasting the subjects of 250 e-mails by hand faggot.

The average user is a vegetable, but I can't tell what's cause and what's consequence here. My big worry is that a massive increase of people able to program will flood the world with even more badly coded turdware as they venture out to try "real" programming because there is next to no sense of quality in the programming world in general.

What would trickle down from whence to where?

I think what he meant was more along the lines of "the mail client should have a feature for mass exporting stuff in a clean format, and whatever you'd want to paste stuff into should have a feature for importing such database formats, instead of both relying on a script API". I still disagree with this, since it would cause too much feature bloat compared to a standardized, OS-level interface for automation.

It's called Applescript. Where've ya been?

People being able to fix their own flat tires hasn't devalued the job of bike mechanics. People would have to understand that just because you know how to glue together libraries that doesn't mean that you are a real programmer. And that would require that programming becomes a respectable craft instead of being run by hipster manchildren. Currently programming is seen more like magic, if you know to make Hello World it will be so impressive that even a JS hipster will be impressive to normalfags. But if programming gets demystified to the point where your mom would see a JS hipster as the talentless hack xir is, then real programmers would get the respect they deserve.

Just give it a nice drag-and-drop interface.
Move mouse to X/Y -> Click

Alternatively we could do what Emacs does and have macro record/replay buttons. It's a bit more of a learning curve but when people see they can do something once and press a button to do it again it should make sense.

Clearly the answer is to have an Akonadi botnet on every PC in the world

Fhey could apply Scratch's drag'n'drop actions and statements system to the script creator.

Python is like this. Readable code, very high-level, very versatile, you can import modules to serve your needs.

Until you realize it has like four different methods of telling time, each more retarded than the last. That Python classes become unreadable messes very quickly. That the muh pythonic way of doing things leaves you with a bunch of retarded nested lambda/zip/enumerate functions. That people don't keep good naming practices and end up just creating a mishmash of single/double-letter variable names. That soft and hard variable references are handled stupidly in 95% of times when it's relevant to make the distinctions. That the break between 2.7.x and 3.x is still going to continue as long as most of the useful modules and libraries are still on 2.7.x because most of the tricks they used to be fast got "fixed" in 3.x. That all the new interpreters and compilers like PyPy don't work with the most useful modules like SciPy, because said useful modules make their most numerically intensive functions call raw C code.

But Python was a good start.

AutoHotKey has a "script recorder" program that works kind of like that, you hit record, do some action and you can save it and play it back, you see the generated code as well.

Too bad AutoHotKey is seen as malware by most systems since it can easily read your input or do anything on your system just because of the nature of it.

Too bad Apple has recently been trying harder and harder to hide all that UNIX goodness from the user. Faggots.

I've never used it, but wasn't Apple's old A/UX Commando program a GUI tool for writing shell scripts, with front ends for standard *N*X utilities?

Probably, Apple has always tried to make it easy to make useful graphical utilities using graphical utilities, which in turn use a combination of other utilities (syscalls, cli programs, gui elements, etc.)

youtu.be/gveTy4EmNyk?t=1388

the abstraction of programming is like getting your own personal robot that you can command to fix your flat tire for you.

Genuine engineering feats will still be impressive, but it is obscured by the fact that hardware is too powerful, it's too hard to notice the difference between shit and mediocre.

It was the norm on Amiga. Almost every application had an ARexx interface, for easy scripting and data exchange.

That's just bad programming and happens in every language. Bad programmers will find a way to be bad.

This is pretty much a myth nowadays.

I disagree. Its principles of readability go against almost everything I'd consider good, convenient or powerful in a programming language. Most "readable" python code is focused on being readable to people who have never programmed before, and ends up suffering for it.
As for some intrinsic readability quality in the language itself, the closest you get to that is THE FORCED INDENTATION OF THE CODE which is just a way to force undisciplined programmers to try to write in a semi-readable way. (And then those programmers go on to be the ones using single-letter variables for everything anyway.)

In my opinion, Python's purpose is to be an accessible language to newbie programmers. It is not meant to be a powerful language.

Though, given the topic, maybe that's a good thing.

Normies don’t want anything scripted. Ten weeks ago I made a thread on /g/ with the following content:

>>>>Step 1>>Step 2>>Step 3

zsh:
mkdir blahcd blahtouch {1..100}for f (*) mv $f OK$f

POSIX sh:

```
mkdir blah
cd blah
x=1
while [ $x -le 100 ]; do touch $x; x=$(expr $x + 1); done
for file in *; do mv $file OK$file; done
```

I'd like to use seq, but it's a GNUism. Compared to zsh (and GNU coreutils), I think zsh is nicer, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to install packages on all the machines I log into.

That is once concept I really liked, giving every UI element a scripting-friendly interface. Not even most GNU/Linux programs do that, and most GUI/X based GNU/Linux applications are built on top of CLI apps

AFAIK .net applications for Windows are scriptable through PowerShell

You don't need to script to do that. Just use the GUI tools available to you.

Right click -> new -> folder
double click folder

Right click -> new -> text file
Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V, do this 7 times for 128 files
Optionally delete 28 files with box select, if it HAS to be 100 files

Ctrl + A, F2
Left, type OK
Hit enter

All done without any scripting. Haven't tested it but it should work on Windows just fine.

Back to /g/, my friend.

Yeah, OS default GUI file managers aren't very powerful without some 3rd-party assistance.

what didn't work retard?

that's pretty amazing user

I guess there's excel macros and automation, thats the most normie friendly one I know about

even my accountant gf uses it

I did it in vim using macros because that's what I'm used to do but I guess any way is fine

silent !rm file* OKfile*silent !touch file0silent !mv file0 OKfile0macros:ggj$^Ayy:@!kb"^M:redraw!^Mggjjwww^Aw^Ayy:@Wkb"^M:redraw!^M

This isn't 16chan. [code]

If you're doing heavy lifting in a GUI you're doing it wrong. The GUI is a small and pretty wrapper for frequently done tasks, while the CLI is where the heavy lifting is done. If you want to make a GUI that's as powerful as the CLI you will end up with a monstrosity that's so large no one will be able to get anything done with it anymore.

1:49

1:47*

(((We))) wouldn't want the goyim to enjoy too many freedoms on their computers, hehe.

social "sciences" were a mistake. I think I'll go into machine learning.

My experience is that normal fags are literally medically retarded when it comes to technology. Even if you made a perfect system for them that wouldn't involve any typing they still would refuse to use it and literally spend hours doing things by hand. I did manage to convert one of my colleagues after exposing him constantly to what one-liners can do for you. I think it was regular expressions that sealed the deal.

There's also the terrible dumbing down of technology in the name of usability. There used to be a time when some degree of programming skills was expected from the user, just a little bit and that was it. You were expected to enter a few console commands every now and then, or write a little bit of code, nothing big, like assembling IKEA furniture. These times were left behind with Windows 95. Now, normalfags think anything more complex to use than a touchscreen and a voice recognition assistant is for experts.

I hope you studied SJW sciences to later jump to law school because it's the only justifiable explanation in common law countries like the States for studying these fields. In civil law countries where law school is a graduate-level school, there is literally no reason to study SJW sciences.

So, how can we make programming an approachable, relatable practice? SJWs are currently doing it, but they're doing it all wrong and aimed exclusively at poor disprivileged niggers, wymyn and mudslimes.

Maybe the problem with SJWs and "everybody can program!" is that they're trying to teach professional, academic programming on sky-high level languages to common laymen instead of teaching basic, everyday, BASH script-like programming?

I'm an econometrician actually. But I'm more into stats and methods than economics.

(((Stallman))), (((Greenberg))), (((Sussman))). The Lisp world is full of jews. Is this news to you? The parentheses should have tipped you off.

This alone makes me think it's a pipedream. However nothing wrong with trying.

No. I believe even the most sophisticated form of scripting conceivable would still be limited by this simple requirement: that the user would be capable of thinking algorithmically. Since the rise of the Women's Movement in the early 20th century, IQs in the West have dropped precipitously. Our past predispositions to logic, eloquent speech and (particularly) writing, and in general a propensity to sound reasoning and judgment have effectively disappeared and we have more or less become a brown culture by and large. The ability to construct solid algorithm design today is limited inherently to a very small percentage of the population today as opposed to 100 years ago.

We're too dull as a culture today for most people to explain mechanically how to even open and walk out a door.

That's why I'm thinking that maybe we could make programming more approachable by thinking about something similar to user macros or formulas, i.e. framing up programming in terms of something the user knows and is familiar with. A lot of accountants and process engineers are actually decent-ish programmers, but they don't know that their Excel formula and macro skills might as well amount to something similar to programming (or they think "ewwww! Excel! what I do at work when I could be drinking with my friends!").

Right now, I'm thinking about SJWzilla's most recent advancement, which is Codemoji. They explain cryptography through something funny, innocent and universal which is modern social media emojis, with the ultimate intention of getting people to understand that cryptography is nothing out of this world and that it's for everyone, not just for academicians, criminals, big megacorps and the NSA.

Holy shit this is neat. Is there similar software for GNU/Linux?

The CLISP logo is a fucking menorah.

#!/bin/bashcd $(mktemp -d)touch {1..100}rename.pl 's/^/OK/' *

normies scripting is already as common as normies learning a second natural language

For what purpose would the vast majority of people ever need to do scripting?

Who the fuck makes 250 identical emails and sends them out to various people individually? The To, CC, and BCC line support more than one person.

kys

I think a more typical interpretation would be "who needs to have a list of the titles of 250 messages in a spreadsheet", for instance.

I don't get it.

t. UNIX weenies.

mkdir newcd newfor i in $(seq 100); do touch $i; done for i in $(ls); do mv $i OK"$i"; done

Programming may have a "high art" element to it, but to suggest that a normal person writing python for whatever reason encroaches on the territory of the likes of those who do assembly optimizations to ancient programs for odd architectures is like suggesting that a highschooler doodling on his test is encroaching on Gustave Caillebotte.

Fair enough criticism, and actually, I do. The shorthand version I used conveys the basic point well enough.

I spelled it out more succinctly in case there were any anal-retentives in the crowd heh in the tl;dr

Did you, in fact, have a point?

Powershell is a .NET application isn't it?

Your use of process substitution is dodgy, and rename.pl is not installed on any linux system I've seen. Though I'm assuming it's something you've written, which is fine.

Which is frightfully uncommon too.
Read the fucking docs you cowboy
Indian programming sweatshops aren't a good stick to measure yourself by

>>>/trash/

I'd say that in many cases drawing isn't even art. Mostly in things like cheap commissions and webcomics, where the drawing itself has little effort put into it and the fact that it resembles what it's meant to is more important than anything else.
The same goes for programming.

yeah it's integrated into CLR I believe. I know that VS Code supports it as well.

the general case of what he stated is ".NET is scriptable by .NET components"

(((>>622015)))

I hazard that this "rename.pl" is Debian's rename command, which uses a sed-like expression to rename files.

underrated post

fuck off pleb

Yo, fellow econometrician here now doing a machine learning course

Pick it up, there are sooo many fuccbois getting into #data#science who know the coding but have no statistical rigor or intuitive knowledge, that you get some econometrics.

Your formal backround will set you apart