Us border wants your social media details

US border control could start asking for your social media accounts

The US government is proposing making social media accounts part of the visa screening process for entry into the country.

US Customs and Border Protection’s proposed change would add a line on both the online and paper forms of the visa application form that visitors to the US must fill out if they do not have a visa and are planning on staying for up to 90 days.

The following question would be added to both the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (Esta) and I-94W forms: “Please enter information associated with your online presence—Provider/Platform—Social media identifier.”

The information will be optional, for now, but the proposed change published by the US Federal Register states that “collecting social media data will enhance the existing investigative process and provide Department of Homeland Security (DHS) greater clarity and visibility to possible nefarious activity and connections by providing an additional tool set which analysts and investigators may use to better analyze and investigate the case.”

The proposal is currently under consultation, with US government taking comments until 22 August.

The change forms part of the plan by the US DHS to scrutinise social media activity of visa applicants and those wishing to enter the country, following the San Bernardino killings in California, in which social media profiles formed part of the investigations along with an iPhone 5C.

Current DHS pilot programmes are being kept under wraps but are said to scan a limited amount of social media posts.

The pilot programmes currently used by DHS do not sweep up all social media posts, though government officials have kept details of the programmes closely held, as they do not want to reveal the precise process they use to try and identify potential threats.

It’s unclear if or how the DHS would verify information written on a form before hitting border control, leaving the possibility of false information being put down, and while the information may be optional, it will likely be difficult to discern what is and isn’t required on the form.

The US government approves around 10m visa applications a year and had 77.5 million foreign visitors in 2015. Collecting social media accounts for all visitors could produce one of the largest government-controlled databases of its kind almost overnight.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/28/us-customs-border-protection-social-media-accounts-facebook-twitter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow those evil border patrol agents.

That's misleading because, not all social media is in the legal name of the author, some of it, similarly to this site, maybe done under no name at all.

Nice source faggot

What if you don't have any social media account ?

theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/28/us-customs-border-protection-social-media-accounts-facebook-twitter

i have twitter, I live in UK have been to USA before, i'm not tinfoil I use windows 10 and android so wouldn't be bothered about this if I go again. I do think there are plenty of ways for people to plan shit so knowing about someone's possibly fake social media will just waste plenty of your taxpayer $ in scanning pointless shit with a small % of credible threats.

Then don't fucking provide it since they wouldn't be able to find out it exists anyway because it isn't tied to your name? Or how about not using the social media botnet to begin with? Or just don't fucking provide it since the article says it's voluntary in the first place? Fucking retard. Go back to reddit where you found this clickbait crap

I'm not OP and I've never used Reddit. Also, who says this will stay voluntarily or that people won't feel obligated to answer just because the request is coming from the government.

>
into the Guantanamo Bay you go, pedophile terrorist drug trafficker

no source. sage

sure, but in the future the government will force everyone to bind their social media and unique computer identifier (which is published in all internet communication) to government ID. this is just another step. computer security has not improved in the slightest for decades, so it's inevitable this will happen.

nice quads

Nice quads.

You'll probably be forced to get a social media account someday, or you'll automatically fail all background checks for jobs, loans, visas, etc.

never used fecesbook
never used myspaces
never used jewgle++++++
never used linkedin(dia) shit
never used sjwhub/bitfucked
never used reddit/voat-fuckers/sa-sjwgoons etc

I'm a member of the 1%

I shall refer them to my GNUSocial

I figure with the amount of data mining that's being done they'd be able to figure out based on IP, and email (history) used to sign up.

shit, I have a GNU/social account

why did i put a slash there

because your whole social life is apart of GNU. It's the first step of joining the church of emacs.

may st.ignusius bless your computer

This isn't technology.