How do you deal with people who want to code something and ask you to fix their worse-than-beginner level shit?

How do you deal with people who want to code something and ask you to fix their worse-than-beginner level shit?

Talking about people who don't want to go through the trouble of actually learning a language, instead they want to go right into making mods for games.

I tried telling the fuck in question to start looking up the documentation himself, but it turns out he doesn't even know the difference between a string and an object.

Anyone had similar experiences with friends?

Sounds like you have an opportunity to mentor someone. Don't fuck it up by being a douchebag.

Don't listen to this faggot OP. Call that moron a retard and tell them to fuck off. Tell them they are completely fucking worthless and they need to kill themselves immediately.

how did you learn to code OP?

i'd love to mentor someone who wants to learn to code

by wanting to learn, not by wanting to create a mod

"If you think there's an easier way to do something, there probably is"

That sentence alone is all you need to massively improve any code.
Guy uses a fuckton of if statements? Tell them about Switching
Guy picks words out a sentence with /([abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890]+)/g ? Tell them to either use /(\w+)/g or use a function built into the language
Guy's code is full of "x = x + 1"? Tell him about x++.

Teach him with something simple, then move on to something productive.

that's too vague, and frankly it makes you sound quite uppity.

how exactly did you learn? were you taught or did you learn everything by yourself like you're telling that guy to do?

I explain what they're doing wrong and help them fix it while making sure they have an approximate idea of what's happening.

If they're really not interested in improving the right way they'll give up on getting your help.

I've dealt with these kind of people many time. From NEET who wants to make video games and people in computer science that are here only for a job, I've only seen one people who actually went somewhere. We all started programming for dumb reason. We probably all enver seen the beauty in programming directly. We all wanted to do "game" or "mod" or "money" or whatever. It's by wasting alot of time on programming that we end up forgetting the reason why we started.

To those kind of people, you show them beautiful stuff that may make them appreciate the mathematical beauty of it. Shwo them on youtube a fractal zoom, a procedural generate world, self learning AI or a basic 2D game engine editor. If you can, teach them how to do a basic tile map. Try introduce them a graphical library when they did their first class. Follow them on their quest. At one point, try to talk less to him. If he keep on sharing his progress to you, that means he's made for being a programmer since he's enthusiastic about code. Otherwise, just gave up.

Takes me about a month or two to tell if someone is a waste or not at programming.

My guess is that best way to deal with those people would be to offer them session (or few if code is longer) of pair programming. If person was trying to learn programming then he/she would accept and learn things from doing it. If person refuses then it is most likely case of "I want you to write this code for me".

It seems like your friend is more interested in implementing idea that he had for that game mod then actually learning how to do programming. Something like "Why bother learning programming when all I am going to program in my life is this simple game mod?" kind of thing.

Documentation could be very confusing for new people. Using documentation is skill that most new programmers do not have but it could be learned easily.

This comes from not wanting to learn programming properly.

I've had the experience and I explain it too them, or if I haven't got the time/patience I provide them relevant info. I like helping friends, that's kinda my definition of friends: people I don't mind helping and whom I expect to not mind helping me.

Call them on [proprietary VOIP client], get them to join a coderpad.io session, get them to paste what they have already and them show them what they're doing wrong and explain why it's wrong and how they should think about it.

Teach them the language anyway, don't give them a choice, keep going until they make something they're proud of and then they can run on their own two wheels.

He probably also doesn't know what documentation is, or how to understand all these terms, teach him to google words he doesn't understand.

Yes.

If you did solely for the money you will never and can never be like the rest of us and you don't deserve to be, because you never will be, because you have no drive to learn, just to know enough to make money.

I totally agree with this, most people won't learn to code for no reason, they need to find something useful to use their skill or it's useless to them.

aka poo in looing

some people don't even have the drive to live

This lel.

Pick one.

I have a friend who tries to learn "programming" now and then in short bursts. He first made websites, but not simple stuff, he instantly tried to replicate complex websites full with CSS3 shenanigans and animations and shit.

It was an absolute pain because he had no idea how to set anything up at all, but wen't straight to the highest level language with a fuckhuge bloated library on top of it. He sent me his broken websites and shit was beyond repair

Then he started playing around with Python, and while his programs were just as horrible, you could explain things one by one like

Basically tell him to start out with something that is good for beginners, instead of trying to achieve something unattainable for his skill level

I'm a tutor that gets paid per hour. I don't give people the answers, I ask them insightful questions until they figure out the answer themselves. If they want to just keep guessing randomly instead of actually thinking, I actually get paid more to keep giving hints and waiting to hear the right answer than I do if I just told them the answer or told them to fuck off.

I invite the guys who don't just sit and guess all day to my posse. The smartest ones, I train to tutor people the same way I do. I'm up to 3 helpers that I trained from shit tier to smart enough to teach others.

I'll add that I explain why they're wrong whenever they guess wrong. I'll sometimes ask what they think will happen wherever they write some code that's wrong. That way they can learn from mistakes.

by not dealing with them.

I require sexual favors. They leave me alone and I can play vidya.

problem is that he's hot for the cock

Anyone want to mentor me? I'll pay 10 shekels a session.

But op, strings are objects in Java. :^)

Surely, causing a generation of kids to have their first programming language be Java will surely be remembered as the foremost of Notch's crimes.