Best Linux desktop environment?

Best Linux desktop environment?

Just installed Arch, what desktop environment should I use? I was thinking Xfce, but that is only because I've used it before.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159180
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/232574/how-to-repair-broken-arch-linux
archive.is/jUFXv
turbosfv.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nigga plz. Just install a window manager. dwm, or if you must have bells and whistles, i3wm

Help me Onii-chan, it's scary!!

Whatever one you like best

You didn't need one anyway… :^)

?

I use herbstluftwm. It's very modular, efficient, and has a great tiling system.
ah, then what you're looking for is blackbox and a half-nude anime girl background

Windows+Enter or Windows+Shift+Enter is usually the key chord to launch a terminal.

Windows+p or Windows+d will usually launch dmenu, which you can, in turn, use to launch whatever GUI program you want, like a browser.

Windows+Shift+q to quit to the console.

Usually the Windows key is your mod key, might be Alt instead.

You installed arch not knowing how shit it is?

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159180
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/232574/how-to-repair-broken-arch-linux

Just openbox and urxvt are mostly what you need. I like minimal though so fuck me.

I have others but my most common key maps are…
Alt-Shift-Return to open urxvt
Alt-Shift-c to close windows
Alt-Shift-x to toggle maximize
Alt-Shift-z to iconify
Alt-Shift-r to show the menu

In menu.xml you can setup commonly run programs like firefox or something.

For file management I mostly use the coreutils (mv, cp, rm, etc…) but sometimes use mc. If you're a proficient typist it's just easier than a GUI file manager most of the time once you get used to it.

mfw just wanted to know what user meant by "one"

I'm saying that arch is so shit, that your DE will break so often, that you might as well not use one.

If you have to ask these kinds of questions you should try ubuntu or something.

Nah, let him learn for himself that "bleeding edge" is a codephase for "shit stability." Arch is still a good learning tool when confronted with it's failures.

OP if you want a stable distro that really simple just do a full Slackware install instead. Most people are scared off by the package management system's lack of dependency resolution but fuck them.

really digging budgie recently

I've been using Arch for years, and I've found it to be quite stable.

Man, Windows 10 is the smoothest, most revolutionary operating system I've ever used. I highly recommend you make the switch. It's cheap, ready to install with just a click of your mouse and it's easier to use than ever before!

I like debian.

can you post some desktop screenshots of your budgie?
Ive been looking into budgie recently and i cant seem to make up my mind
how has your experience been?

i switched to funtoo recently and haven't added its overlay yet

It's great actually…

..to the point where your fucking right click menu bugs and you need to RESTART your fucking pc, like you do when the windows FORCES updates to your face!

Btw, this bug happens every day to me, it's so damn annoying, micro$oft please fix your shit.

GNOME

OP that's one of the worst questions to ask.You'll get 3 different responses:

1. "ALL DE'S ARE SHIT. MOST WM'S ARE ALSO SHIT. GUI IS SHIT."
2. ". Because I like it, but I won't say why."
3. Install gentoo

It's been a while since I've been hunting around, but here's my opinion on the DE's:

GNOME: looks like shit, cause of GTK. 3 > 2, but that's really not saying much.

KDE: looks great, cause of Qt. Very tightly integrated; very customizable, but sane defaults.

Cinnamon: Not too shabby. It's like GNOME with the shit of GNOME.

XFCE: Literally a less featured GNOME 2. Absolute horse shit.

MATE: See XFCE, except add on "Pointless".

LXDE: Pretty good lightweight.

Enlightenment: Last I used, woefully unpolished. But extremely lightweight and fairly customizable. Great for lower end systems.

Unity: All the shit that is the OS X interface, poorly imitated on a distribution-locked version of Linux.

I use KDE because I came from being a windows babby. But also, I truly notice that KDE/Qt apps tend to be higher quality. More feature filled, less buggy, more integrated. Plasma 5 is even a greater improvement, when everything finally migrated over.

But to each their own. I recommend Cinnamon to non-techies, I've used E17 on netbooks, or just WM's.

I dual boot WinXP and Puppy Linux no, really

I dual boot arch and win7

just for that one software adobe digital editions

Step 1: Install Windows 10
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!!!!

Force install the anniversary update
archive.is/jUFXv

great, now win-x menu doesn't do shit when clicking items

guess i need time to figure this out…

If you got nothing to hide…

figured it out, problem was quicksfv

reinstalling it and adding some registry keys fixed everything

This is a bad question. Depends what you want

or not, file explorer started crashing every hour, guess quicksfv is dead…

time to waste money: turbosfv.com/

LXDE is nice and light, and it looks bretty neat too.
Haven't riced it yet.

if you're comfortable using the command line you should consider i3. It can be very comfy.

different user but that might be a deal-breaker for me. I don't want installing software to be something I have to spend an hour on.

OP here
Surprised this thread is still alive
Xorg is a broken piece of shit

G N O M E

try em all, and see which one you like?

Getting KDE
Tried openbox, but I'm too retarded for that X11 shit
I got Arch after all :^)

I CAN'T HELP YOU user

The meme isn't even that good
Why did I do this
Learning?
I could've just googled how to partition drives

Install Mint or Ubuntu. Be happy.

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Do that every once in a while, and you're bulletproof against non-governmental type adversaries.

unity

I've used both Mint and Manjaro
Although I do like apt-get, I still prefer Manjaro

Manjaro is nice, I've heard.

I use other linuxes, so there you have it.

Heh, yeah. That pic is quite accurate

no thanks. I'll take the OS/Kernel that actually has usable drivers, an R&D budget, and a binary configuration database instead of a bloated as fuck /etc directory

No worries. I've heard Windows 10 sends everything you type to Microsoft every 30 minutes, and Apple uses the mark of the beast as the logo for their operating system.

Linux is where to be, apparently.

That was the public beta, and it wasn't "everything you typed"
OSX? I don't see it. I know the original Apple Computer was 666 dollars but Steve Jobs said he was unaware at the time it was the mark of the devil, he was a Buddhist either way, not in any way a devil worshipper or anti-Christian in the very least

I think "the mark of the beast" was the rainbow apple, but I'm just guessing what that user meant

No, it's not just the beta, and they've done the same sort of thing with Office for years now, but never told anyone, really.

Jobs made it 666 on purpose, and the mark is a circle with an X in it. There is no way it's a coincidence.

You're silly to trust these companies, imo.

t. Someone who blindly trusts all the companies part of the Linux Foundation like Google and Intel

face it freetard, its ogre

don't get me started on google. and I use amd anyways.

intel has that management engine thing (amd too, with their latest I think)

AMD has had similar shit for the past several microarchitectures. There is no benefit to using AMDs obviously inferior shit. It is actually fucking impressive how badly AMD has fucked up in the past 10 years. Not only did they let Intel run laps around them, they let Intel pound them onto the fucking ground and spit on them

AMD Zen is going to be made on a 16nm process so I doubt even that is going to even come near the thermals and energy efficiency of Intel Chips, by the time Zen comes out Intel will already be starting on their 10nm process

Sooo, should I use AMD or Intel?

Yeah, I don't want to upgrade to intel because of their backdoor management engine, but AMD does the same now, and the performance is lacking.

I've no motivation for setting up a pfsense firewall for the management engine crap. It must be exhausting being a no good liar spy when it's such a pain in the butt defending against it.

I personally feel like information on either as far is spying goes is too full of dubious and/or bias information to pick one over the other for privacy reasons. But if you care about performance go for Intel

The RPi developers are SJWs who spoke publicly against GamerGate, I would never buy their shit. And its not fully free either. Go for a Chinese Allwinner board, I have one and it works great with Fedore

*Fedora

yeah cause poor people and students suck, amirite.

i am disappoint.

did you really say that right after "fully free"?

Nigger, you do fucking realize you have an ethernet cable plugged into your computer right now routing packets of data back and fourth to thousands of relays a second right?

The solution is simple

Unplug your fucking computer and stop whining, you are NO SAFER on Linux than you would be on Windows.

Use older hardware if you are really paranoid but don't think privacy doesn't come without compromise and that you can just shortcut your way into having a false sense of security

Mister, that's just not right, as far as I know.

The NSA collects traffic data from ISPs, it doesn't really fucking matter what OS you use. They keep this data encrypted until they get a search warrant from the police. This was how their program worked

Yes, you can obfuscate your traffic behind Tor and VPNs, but WAIT you can do that on Windows too, dumbass…

Doesn't matter if you obfuscate behind TOR and VPNs if YOUR OS IS LEAKING WHAT YOU TYPE TO MICROSOFT.COM

Get the fuck out of here, you silly cocksucker. You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

The NSA gets warrants from the police, do they? My fucking sides. Just shut your cunt and let your betters talk before you embarrass yourself further.

Yes, it was mentioned in the Snowden leaks actually, unless you are lead to believe that the fucking NSA lies to themselves you dumb freetard

Damn, that kde download took forever, but it worked
Posting from Arch Laptop

update after you get settled in. you'll get to enjoy the bleeding edge rolling distribution that is arch.

you're damn right about the office stuff.
we run a lot of terminal servers at work, and office was collecting so much 'telemetry' data, it would cause performance issues. was a bitch to switch off as well.

Its funny but the pirated versions of office that are years old run so much better than the new purchased versions of microsoft office its not even funny.

I got a free liscence for office with my laptop and ended up switching over to 2007 office pirated and its at least 10 times faster. It dosen't phone home it dosen't look for updates. It just works.

The only thing the new office suite has on this shit is that it looks more modern. And you know what? That's not a fucking nough for me with how slow it is.

I'd advice anyone to either use the free tools out there that replace it, or use a pirated version of office.

2010 was the best version.
Funny how all their products became total shit at the same time - windows 7 and windows server 2008 r2 were also the last decent desktop and server OS's they made, and came out around the same time. Also, has anyone else noticed that all of their technet articles and knowledgebase articles also stopped giving a shit around the same time?