Hey Holla Forums, why don't we escape the browser apocalypse and fix up netsurf?

Hey Holla Forums, why don't we escape the browser apocalypse and fix up netsurf?

Wew. Welcome newfriend.

Although I guess there's no need to logo fight this time since there's already a logo.

I mean the one time I shilled my mess of an irc server here, someone actually bothered to help. Then again, you're probably right.

Because qutebrowser exists

we have to replace web with something else, browsers cannot be good

What about those of us that don't care much for vim style keybindings?

What's to fix, dweebatron?

The poor support of HTML5, CSS3, some rendering bugs, and the almost non-existence of js support.

Once netsurf has *working* js I'll probably switch. it just starts so damn fast and feels very clean, unlike ff.

As soon as Firefox supports Wayland (only needs three patches to work in Firefox 50) and integrates most of Servo there's no reason to use another browser.

If you want to be autistic, use emacs to browse the web.

There is a difference between yet another random webkit/gecko browser thread, and netsurf you moron.

Also wayland is shit and will never be adopted (or it will be dominated by GNOME) because the dumbfucks only wrote the protocol without thinking about some standardized api on top, this means you now can only write software (for example a hotkey daemon, screen recorder, etc.) for gnome and it wont work on any other compositors.

Why not dillo

Depends why you don't care for vim style bindings I guess. If it's because you don't want to learn then I would highly encourage learning them anyway for better browsing efficiency. If it's because you already know emacs bindings I can understand not wanting to know bindings for 2 different text editors

Not an argument

Not an argument

No, there's no difference, it's yet another browser thread.
KDE is working on it just fine
That's not how it works. mpv works on any wayland compositor right now, and it's certainly not tailored towards a toolkit.

Why do you retarded Holla Forumsacks opine about shit you don't understand?

Did anybody think that not having any cursor control in the base wayland protocol was a good idea?
ebil browser threads ruining my children, eating my babies1!1!!1!!!!!1111!
While I agree that browser threads are overdone, all I wanted to do was possibly spark some interest in a somewhat dead project, and maybe start something,

netsurf is shit and does not have the very basic of features such as ad-blocker or webpage screencap.

It has an Adblocker.

Take a look in the mirror, you drooling moron, instead of screaming "HURR DIS WORX FINE" at someone discussing the technical problems with the protocol.

Your "technical problem" with the protocol is patently false.
By claiming that something written for one compositor will not work for another, you plainly reveal you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.
Perhaps you meant "toolkit" but even that does not make sense. At most, you could be talking about the lack of server-side decorations in the protocol, but even that doesn't pass the smell test: it already is an extension in the protocol, for KDE.

You do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

If you know Emacs keybindings you can give Conkeror a try. It mimics Emacs in more ways than just the keybindings.

Although I prefer Emacs and its keybindings over vim, I don't prefer it for browsers. Browsers are traditionally modal with a separation between using keys to input text and using keys to control the page, so vim keybindings are a good fit. I do like to have Emacs keybindings in text fields, so I have qutebrowser set up to open them in emacsclient if I press ctrl+e.

Because the logo is shit.
We should make a new logo, I'll begin and I'll make it in gimp.

Konqueror is great, but it really needs an update. I do love the pane splitting and the file management though.

Conkeror is not Konqueror.

he specifically gave examples of software that will need to be rewritten for each compositor you magnificent waste of matter being deliberately obtuse for attention on the internet

I'm waiting for KDE Fiber

you know you're right, their logo is woefully out of date.

That was patently false and revealed that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
If you write software "for GNOME" i.e. with GTK it will work on a KDE compositor just fine, it'll have client side decorations like under X11, etc.
If you write software "for KDE" it will work just fine under GNOME
If you write software using SDL or OpenGL or whatever it will work under GNOME and KDE
He doesn't know what he's talking about
What he meant to say is that things like screen recorders would have to be best built into the compositor, but that's more a consequence of security. There's nothing stopping you from writing a screen recorder that requires privileges or whatever, and works in every wayland compositor.
As for hotkeys or remapping, I'm not sure how GNOME or KDE are doing it in conjunction with libinput but it seems to work like it normally did.

So no, he didn't know what he was talking about. At all. You can fuck off now, and stop opining on shit you don't understand.

Yup, that's exactly what he said. What's it like being functionally retarded and spending all day being angry on nepalese game show bbses?

There's nothing stopping me from writing a screen recorder that integrates into every DE ever and also sets the HDD on fire when it detects you as the user via a combination of input heuristics and sampling the atmosphere for ambient shit mixed with oral bacteria, either, except for the fact that that's asinine and good luck getting GNOME or Unity to cooperate, which is the point.
Wayland does not have a single reference implementation. Every DE will have its own, and that means different software per DE for anything that requires interaction with the wayland implementation, because this is Lignux and GNOME, Unity, Pantheon, and whoever else wants can all be Apple with the One True Way everything should be done, alone.

gb2 ur cia-nigger handlers tbh

Polite bump so more people can talk about the problems with Wayland and what we're going to do after we fail to strongarm the snowflakes of the desktop world into cooperating with any standards we attempt to set up which will inevitably cause actual fragmentation and further wedge apart the already idealogically opposed DEs and WMs

that's not how it will work
you'll be able to capture all of the surfaces as root
that's weston
every compositor works the same with the protocol, he had no idea what he was talking about and either do you.
you should probably stop replying now.

You're literally an indian, aren't you?

There's no lack of reading comprehension, but you did spout bullshit like "no reference implementation" - false
No, the things he's talking about just haven't been standardized yet, there's threads spanning years on FD and other mailing lists about it. You want to do it right the first time, for third party applications who need privileges.

There's honestly no reason to even have screen grabing/screen capture outside of the compositor, in my opinion, but I'm sure they'll work something out for retards that insist on the default behavior of a gaping security hole because it breaks their desktop thread scrotting workflow, which is probably the only work people like that do.

As for registering global hotkeys, that would simply be done with a xdg_shell api or a dbus api.

why would you want js support ? it's cancer

Are you denying that 95% of the internet is cancer?

Well then Qupzilla exists.
tbh I'd main on Qupzilla if it had all of Firefox's privacy add-ons. I do use it when a site is irreparably fucked up on Firefox, which happens often enough to justify having a backup browser.

Are you implying it's not?

Can't run without qt

No what I'm saying is avoiding 95% of the internet isn't feasible which means web browsers that don't support JavaScript are almost completely fucking useless because they can't even browse the web.

it is feasible. i'm using one right now. and been using it for a while.

how normal are you?

Midori is the best browser out there right now. They fixed the youtube bug that made it crash and now it's just a fast, minimal web browser with support for everything a browser should. Give it a shot if you don't believe me.

webkit frontends are the new IE6 frontends

this

It's not WebKit. It's QTWebEngine.

What is QTWebEngine?

I think you mean QTWebKit faggot

A QTWebEngine port is in progress, but not usable yet.

It's not happening.

Is it GNUStep or something?

Did it undergo any analysis by professional IT security people?

Not that I know of but it does support some basic security features.

You serious?

Yes, you have to install ruby twice to use webkit-gtk