Latest Tor browser enables Javascript, and Flash by default

What the fuck? Those two should have been disabled by default after installation. What is going on?

Other urls found in this thread:

torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en#linux
8ch.net/cdn-cgi/l/email-protection#d0a3b1b7b5
trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1811
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Downloaded a new bundle, isn't enabled by default.
My previous bundle doesn't have those enabled either.
Seems to be a case of your retardation.

You're saying that this isn't the correct download link? torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en#linux

Oh no, settings that can be changed easily, what a tragedy.

That's not the point. The point is that Tor shouldn't be released with Javascript & Flash enabled by default, it defeats the entire purpose of the browser in the first place. You wouldn't be happy if there were a fly in your soup, and the chef responded with "Oh no, things that can be removed easily, what a tragedy."

Christ, it takes mere seconds to change something, stop being a fucking crybaby.

The autism. Sad!

It also makes those people that disable it stick out.
Preventing that was the whole point of the tor browser bundle.

The browser still works with those on, faggot. If you're paranoid enough to use it because normal browsers and connections are scary, you should be paranoid enough to double check settings.

Gno. If they wanted to go down that route, Tor would have never been made, and everyone would just be using Google Chrome with the default settings to "blend in", but that is not the purpose of the Tor browser.

"Stick out". For Fuck Sake.
Javascript has been enabled by default in the TBB since the beginning. The devs even addressed user's concerns over this basically stating that "disabling js would break so many sites, that normies would stop using TBB".

But Tor could never compete with normie browsers, so the attempt to draw them in is futile.

What does that mean, since the beginning?
I remember the news when they made the decision to switch.

You read a little like Trump. Holla Forums come to visit, by any chance?

Flash and JS are definitely not unimportant, given the purpose of tor.

Javascript has always been enabled by default.

It's for diversity of users. Non-technical people should be using Tor too. Anonymity loves company.

Can someone confirm this?
I'm pretty sure this is not the case since I remember wondering why nothings working when I used Tor browser the first time and not knowing about noscript.

Always been that way.
Not enabling javascript is a beacon for deanonymization, too, just as javascript can be a way to deanonymize.

Congrats on the shit thread, tho.

since they added the security slider, larger subsets of people have it disabled. Lots of Tor users without JS out there, all with the same settings.

btw agencies around the world have been requesting and buying browser exploits that specifically dont use javascript or third party plugins as attack vectors

Tor will never be safe because of the browser. Web browsers have insane attack surface.

And I'm sure they have exploits for browsers that do have it on.

Not a reason not to use it. Better than nothing.

I don't ever recall it enabling it by default.

He's not me

If you're paranoid enough to use it because normal browsers and connections are scary, you should be paranoid enough to double check settings.

Or maybe it's reasonable to assume that a privacy-focused project like tor should have default settings that aren't completely retarded

You know, like how you shouldn't need to check that cereal doesn't contain poision, or that your car doesn't contain C4. These things are assumed because that's the sensible way of doing things. Changing them makes literally no sense.

Quit your bitching.
Jesus christ, take your meds.

Analogies are not meant to be the same exact situation, otherwise you would just be repeating the entire thing.

"Enabling JS on a privacy oriented browser is EXACTLY the same as enabling JS on a privacy oriented browser!" - Not an analogy, idiot.

Everyone has realized that you're just trolling

Jesus christ, this really is reddit now.
You are a narcissistic nigger. It takes maybe 30 seconds to check and change settings, stop being a lazy entitled faggot.

You are an idiot for using Tor, that's all

Its been proven time and time again to be shit. American Universities can reveal anonymous the users, what do you think a thee letter agency can do? They own almost all of the exit nodes. They report about Tor on normie sites like CNN. Why should you use it when they make this whole "read the 6,000,000 forum posts, we tell you how to stay safe, you need to work harder" and then they enable JS and Flash by default.

I'll tell you what the big problem is: the lack of critical thinking skills in the modern age.

That is not what I said at all. It's an analogy, you might be familiar with them. I'm drawing a parallel between flash being enabled by default, and cereal containing poison or a car containing c4. That isn't saying that they're the exact same thing. The parallel is that they're all incredibly stupid ideas that you shouldn't have to consciously look out for, because no sane person would ever choose them.

It doesn't matter whether it's barely used. The point is that it CAN be used. If flash is enabled by default, that leaves tor users open to attack.

Are you even reading the posts you're replying to? It doesn't matter that it takes only 30 seconds to disable. When you buy cereal, do you explicitly check the ingredients list to see that it doesn't contain cyanide? Of course not, because that would be lunacy and you trust that nobody has approved of such a stupid idea. It's the same deal with tor/flash.

What's next? Cops should not wear bulletproof vests because a criminal may render it useless by using higher caliber rounds?

Take the 30 fucking seconds out of your life to change the settings. If you're some tinfoil retard enough to use a shitty meme browser, you're tinfoil enough to check settings.

You are fucking lazy.

I fail to see how your hypothetical situation is relevant to this discussion. Maybe if you said wearing paper plates or magic underwear it might have been valid.

wew
The autists in this thread just can't stop making absurd alarmist analogies, eh?

The point is that Tor is safer than other browsers just as wearing a bulletproof vest is safer than wearing just a T-shirt. Just because sometimes people get uncloacked by using Tor, that is not a reason as to why you should not use it, just like it makes no sense telling police that they should not wear body armor because some bad guy could shoot him up with a .50 caliber sniper rifle. Anything that can be done against a Tor user can be done against anyone else.

The bottom line is that some protection is better than none at all. It's probably because of this JS & Flash on by default that people are getting de-anonymized anyway.

Its not absurd or alarmist to say that the security settings on their "flagship" browser are less than optimal.

I can't help but feel that you're either stupid, trolling, or you don't understand how much of a vulnerability flash is.

I'm not being alarmist at all. The point isn't the severity of the analogy. The point is in the utter idiocy of the hypothetical scenarios. I could equally have said "when you turn on your computer, do you check that your home folder hasn't been renamed to 'feces'?". Of course you don't check that, because it would be an utterly retarded thing to do, so you assume it hasn't happened.

It is absolutely absurd AND alarmist when you're whining and crying about easily changed settings that take no effort to change and comparing it to a bomb being in your car.

Fuck off schlmo.

DISABLE FLASH THEN YOU FUCKING NIGGER
Jesus fucking christ, it's not that hard. OR are you some sort of landwhale that gets tired from typing out a post?
TURN OFF FLASH, TURN OFF SCARY BOOGEYMAN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE SUPPORT, "PROBLEM" SOLVED

Also

Safer from who exactly? Marketers getting your info in the Google Chrome browser? Wow, big improvement!

Sure, and you would wear a teacup around your nuts with nothing else and go fight in the Battle of Stalingrad, I'm sure. You are missing the point that Tor is nothing more than a false sense of security.

No shit, I wonder why its on by default numb-nuts! This has been pointed out to them for years. Did you know that they had a SJW mod out somebody at one time? Holy shit, I don't follow their ins-and-outs any more than I follow team sports, but at least I know this much: they are not your friend.

Actually... you have to take the effort to change them, which is greater than "no effort"

Oy fucking vey
About as much effort as it takes to add a picture or video to a post. If that's too much work, then breathing must be tiring.

Imagine, if you will, a hypothetical scenario

The date is the 27th of June, and Microsoft has just pushed out a patch to all Windows 10 PCs because let's be honest, you use Windows that renames every file in their Documents to some variants of "i dun a poop lol"

Windows users everywhere are confused by this. Many are angry that this silly decision has been made, questioning why the hell Microsoft would do such a thing.

Microsoft's response is simple:
JUST CHANGE THEM BACK THEN YOU FUCKING NIGGERS
Jesus fucking christ, it's not that hard. OR are you some sort of landwhale that gets tired from typing out a post?
RENAME YOUR FILES, MAKE BACKUPS NEXT TIME, "PROBLEM" SOLVED

Turn off flash and javascript if they scare you so much you lazy fucking blob. Good lord.

That's not true. It simply depends who you're trying to hide from. Any alphabet soup government organisation? Sure, it might not be useful. Your ISP, for example, probably can't identify you. The MPAA, RIAA, etc. also can't identify you. Tor definitely has value, as long as you're clear on who it protects you from

Not everyone is well-educated as you or I, but you are not educated well enough to understand why (((Tor))) is advertised as an anonymous platform yet fails to deliver on its promises, and actively sabotages it stated purpose.

wew
So the importance of it for (((you))) is to be able to pirate shit like a nigger because paying for things is so hard to do? Get a job.

I never said that I'm hiding from the MPAA or RIAA. I'm not even an amerifat, thank you very much. It doesn't even matter though, because the point is the same: tor DOES have value, it just depends who you're hiding from

ohhhhh I get it, you're retarded

This is why we don't like Windows users on Holla Forums

So answer the question, who are you hiding from that Tor has so much value?

I severely hope that nobody here actually uses Windows in the current year

I'm not, and I don't use tor. Why does it matter what I personally do? The point is that it has value, regardless of whether I use it

There's a strong correlation between idiocy and Windows usage, user. I think there's enough evidence ITT to conclude that he is indeed a Windows user

good goy

Do you also use Google Chrome® and Facebook®?

If you don't use it, it has no value to you directly, and if I don't use it, it doesn't have value to me directly either, but in point of fact it is in my best interest that my friends do not use it, because its a honeypot.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Windows doesn't respect your freedom. In fact, they actively track everything that you do. The scan all your data, even your USBs, looking at the files, sending copies of them home for review. Its a spy machine, designed to spy on you, that they charge you hundreds of dollars for.

Shit-tier meme tbh

Well, I was right

No, I was right about being a Windows user

>8ch.net/cdn-cgi/l/email-protection#d0a3b1b7b5

What did cloudflare mean by this?

This explains so much

You'll understand when you're older, user

Emails aren't shown if you disable javascript

I have just begun to fight

#bernout detected. How much did you donate, goy?

clarification on >>618720:
this is done to stop bots from scraping email addresses to spam

anyway, Linux is love, Linux is life... or a flavor of BSD if you are feeling salty, but under no circumstances should anyone use Windows or Mac.

Nothing. Britbong here, and I'm very glad I can watch your election from afar and laugh at how utterly fucked you are no matter who you pick

Britcucks BTFO.

Seems a bit extreme. Windows I have no excuse for, but OSX is basically a shittier BSD with support for normie software. I don't like it myself, but at least it's not Windows

Remain was in my best interest. Either way, I'm good. If the UK goes to shit, I'll go elsewhere in Europe

confirmed shitskin

There is very little that isn't just as good if not better on Linux. Unless you are a soulless Gaymer that is.... which most of 8ch is unfortunately. If you have to use it for CAD/CAM for work, that is understandable, but outside of that you have tons of great free software and if you think something is missing you should try and contribute. Otherwise we will be stuck in the dark ages of technology...

Only on ¼*2chan could a thread about a fucking boolean setting in firefox that's blocked by noscript spawn this many absolute bullshit replies this fast

blame the mod for not banning shitposters
you should know that the superior bunker exists, if you want to migrate any time.

Trump didn't seriously say this did he? god damn that guy is a faggot.

u wot m8? People voted leave to get the Poles and other eastern Europeans out. Shitskins have been here forever, lots of Pakis and Indians came after WWII.

This is why nobody cares what the American public has to say in literally any subject that isn't America

Yep. Dude's also anti-net neutrality. What a pillock

at least some of us have been considerate enough to sage when going off-topic

Don't reply to autists or shills

You really want Great Britain to be cucked by Brussels? What about self-determination?

Don't post on 8ch either, have a nice life

Holla Forums would be dead within a day

Besides, the point made is perfectly valid. Flash/JS being enabled are silly defaults for a privacy-oriented project

its on purpose

They know what they are doing

So why use their software if you know that they know?

Holy shit, you really are a cuck.

>>>/a/

Let me guess, anyone that disagrees with you is a "shitposter" and "just change the settings you fucking autist" is "shitposting".
>>>/suicide/

Remember to donate to Bernie's retirement fund.

And nothing of value would be lost.

a scientific fact, its the opiate of the masses along with team sports

Lots of audio software, some video editing software can be had

OpenOffice

I pay more in taxes than you most likely

Anything on the level of Sony Vegas, Adobe Audition/Premiere? I think not.

Like any corporation uses that, come on nigger. Libreoffice is better and even that is still shit compared to the real one that companies actually use.

You mean the United Kingdom
bloody yanks

Self-determination is nice, but actual quality of life is nicer

This is why nobody likes it when amerifats chime in on non-amerifat politics

If you think that net neutrality lets the US government own the internet, you have no idea how the internet works.

If you seriously think vaccines cause autism, you haven't researched the arguments (for both sides) enough.

eh, fair enough

Out of curiosity, what is missing from LO that you actually use? It always seemed fairly feature-complete to me, barring MS office compatibility

You are all mentally ill SJWs.

I'm not talking at all about the political side of net neutrality. From a technical point of view, there is no reason whatsoever that net neutrality gives ownership of the internet to the US government

What does social justice have to do with literally anything ITT?

Has "SJW" become the new "cuck"? A meaningless buzzword that you use to describe anyone you dislike?

Are you fucking retarded? There is a world of difference between net neutrality and ((("net neutrality"))), which was the basis of a vote here that gave internet regulation powers to the FCC. And retards on Holla Forums applauded it.

I'm sure there is, and I'm talking about net neutrality. Try to keep up.

also great work by our SupremeCourt, discrimination is illegal except when we do it, gun laws that infringe on you right to bear arms are ok in the interest of public safety... anyway, fuck the Supreme Court. I hope they all get replaced by Trump.

I like LibreOffice too, OpenOffice came to mind for some reason.

I worked hard for a lot of years to buy those pvc figures user, its all real. I don't need to lie to win anargument unlike some people...

I hate this fucking website

nothing will change until the mods do anything about it.

autism is a made up snowflake disease so people can get out of social conformity. It's the biggest fucking cop out ever. I was diagnosed with "severe autism" and told I would likely never learn to drive and now I'm going to get married and have a job that I drive to every day. You "autistic" faggots are honestly the "yin" to tumblrs "yang". you have an inflated ego and victim complex to cope with your shit social skills. The best part of this is that you faggot sit on anonymous image boards and say this dumb shit instead of going outside and actually developing social skills. Then to top it off you post a bunch of sadfrog.jpg and wonder why no girl will ever touch you. Seriously fucking kill yourself you shit-stain snowflakes.

The only thing I hate more than Trump is Bernie. That guy is a bigger pussy that Obango.

see above

except there is no evidence and actual counter evidence to this claim

fuck giving the FCC more power over the internet you're a cuck if you bought into that eff (tm) approved bullshit.

If you cant see how Technology ties into politics you're a fucking asshat and should not be discussing Technology.

if you want censorship go to YouTube or Tumblr faggot. Has it seriously not dawned on you that Tor is a very controversial product and brings politics into discussion?

Is there some way to get the current mod removed? It's obvious he's been absent for months.

Because I totally come to a technology board to hear more about how liberals are degenerates and kikes are taking over the world

Has it not dawned on you that there are boards to shitpost about politics?
You're free to go back to them.
None of the political discussions in the thread really have to do with Tor. They have everything to do with a group of shitposters that can't stay on their garbage board.
Yeah, because if I go talk about videogames on /ck/ and the mod deletes my retarded offtopic shitposts it's censorship.

You are fucking retarded. Kill yourself, retard.

underail from this line on
----------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from timing attacks, which could have been mitigated easily by threatening to edgelord your school from outside of your school TOR is relatively secure, and relatively sound in it's implementation, with some qualifiers and some healthy paranoia on top of that.

However, the big name busts were enacted by seizing an illegal server and having it host javascript that leaked IP's and data over the clearnet connection.

Why has TOR chosen to enable javascript? especially when this undermines it's stated aim of being one click easy privacy for the masses.

the official line is that "TOR makes javascript safe" and noscript will block it either way.

trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1811

how the fuck is TOR making javascript safe???

They're from Holla Forums. Try to ignore them.

No one has ever said that, it was a bug around eight years ago where they were referring to extensions.torbutton.kill_bad_js which hooked bad javascript.
You now have a choice of "security levels."

Why do you autists sperg out when you're given choice that actually tries to reduce fingerprinting capability?

because they're aiming this at normies that won't understand the complexity and get themselves in trouble eventually.

You might as well not use the web if you don't understand the complexity of millions and millions of lines of C and C++ that constantly shit the bed every week.
They have a little banner that informs people they have security levels when it first launches. Disabling javascript will just break a bunch of shit.

There's no reason for this fucking thread to exist other than to bitch about the fact that you're such a fat lazy fuck that you can't use your mouse to drag a sliding scale of security.

And the OP of the thread is totally fucking stupid, as Tor Browser Bundle has never disabled javascript by default.

fingerprinting of course, but there you go, apologizing for having javascript enabled. Just go back to Holla Forums you faggot.

choke on a fucking gun and pull the trigger, you shitposting namefaggot. the post you replied to implied no such thing.

wew lad

If all you're worried about is blending in, use IE. Now stop shitting up this thread. Clearly you would never use Tor, nor know why the Tor project exists. I don't know why you're in this thread.

Yes it has, idiot.

Tor is not about "blending in", fucking morons

And how is google chrome safer, ignoramus?

Tor is all about blending in, you retarded faggot. It's why using anything besides the Tor browser bundle or Tails is not recommended. Because it's preconfigured with baseline settings.
It has literally never disabled javascript by default.
If this is the typical poster we have on Holla Forums there's really no reason to come here anymore.
Tor is all about blending in, and providing anonymity. If you use stock Firefox proxied to Tor, obviously you have little to no anonymity on the Tor network.

And, again, the Tor browser bundle has never disabled javascript by default.
You have no idea what you are talking about, retard. Stop posting.

If you're going to be a puppet for Verizon, Comcast, and AT&T, at least have the decency to cut a fucking hole.

If Tor gets its privacy by "blending in" with people who use the same settings as you, you might as well use IE with windows xp. I assure you, you would blend in much more than what Tor could possibly do for you.

Tor doesn't guarantee "privacy". It only tries to provide _anonymity_ within a threat model.
Why do you fucking retards come to this board not knowing what the fuck you're talking about and not even knowing what the fuck the words you use mean?

This is a shitty thread implying that this is a new thing when the Tor browser has never disabled Javascript by default. Fuck off.

This is true. You cannot hide from the three letter agencies using tor. Tor is only useful if you are hiding from smaller entities.

He's just a troll.

cuck confirmed

Reminder

Decency? What is meant by this?

A whole fucking lot more than anything ITT has to do with the actual topic

EVERY-BODY-SHIT-YOUR-PANTS!

The anti-TOR shilling is strong in here. (((They))) must be extra worried about something.

Just kill yourself.