Controlling Computer Use

How do you restrict your internet and computer use, if at all? Since the semester ended I've been online easily 7 hours a day. It seems as if I accumulated half a terabyte of torrented files in no time at all. I don't really enjoy what I'm doing anymore, but I just keep going out of force of habit. How do I change?

Why in the world would one restrict their internet and computer use?

I guess this was the wrong place to ask.

none of us can

free will

install gentoo

It's called willpower and self-control, something you apparently lack.

Try first doing something constructive with computers, like programming for portable devices or microcontrollers. This is a nice midway point because you will have the familiar comfort of sitting in your computer chair while also not staring at the screen all the time. From there you will start to slowly change your association with computers from "place to be lazy" to "place to work on things"

does not exist

>>>/improve/

Turn it into something educational, like (checked) said.

In fact, the point in which I started using GNU/Linux came from this idea. I was messing around in the Windows registry, breaking shit, then fixing it, seeing what I could do, when I realized that none of this would help me in the real world. All the time wasted learning a system with a learning cap and with limited opportunities could've been spent learning a more universal system, with nearly unlimited use-cases and a truly unlimited learning cap. Any UNIX system would suffice in this, but I chose Linux because it was convenient. Now building/maintaining/breaking systems is productive and has real-world applicability.

I'm considering contributing to Hurd.

I hold to these ironclad commitments:

1. when I am unconscious, no computing. not unless it is noninteractive.

2. when I am pissing or shitting, no typing. I keep my hands away from the keyboard.

3. when I am walking around, sometimes Holla Forums, but mostly just streaming music

4. when I am eating, or trying to get to sleep, or relaxing after work, only passive entertainment. I might watch youtube or anime, but no commenting about it.

5. if I am actively working for pay, no hateweb. I have never even heard of niggers or kikes, ma'am, pray what might those be?

basically I balance completely normal computer use on the one hand with full-on luddite/preindustrial asceticism on the other. I live on a knife edge.

The illusion of it does, and that's all that matters for self-control.

Don't discourage computer use. Just do something productive with it. That's how I got so good at programming, and learned how to use Gentoo.

Translation:

... yes, but that wasn't implied. You don't really need more than a $100 laptop (and some webhosting subscriptions).

I have spent about 9 hours of online web since I was barely 12.
Sometimes I want to kill myself.

*tips fedora*