youtube.com/watch?v=bCFxweIJj4Y

High Quality CalArts Animation

Other urls found in this thread:

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-notes-to-korean-animation-studios-1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why?

DEAR GOD WHY?

WHY

On a related note, why is this reboot so Buttercup-centric?

Because she was a tomboy, the least feminine of the three

>Let's work way less and pretend is good for reaction images tfw when it works but not for the reason they thought..

Nah, that is too shit even for CalArts standards.
That is some third world version animation of CalArts,
The designs are pure modern calarts though.

Sorry user, that's cherrypicking.
Despite their shit CA designs GF had beautiful artwork, and it was pretty much an outlier.

Sjewen Universe doesn't even have stablished character models for example, Rick and Morty are pretty much detailed stick figures, Bob Burger's is pretty much grinning putty mix and The Simpsons are stiff as shit.

Hipster/Tumblr doodles

I haven't looked so I'll ask: how's the show doing?
Does it look doomed? You think they'll give 'em a new season?
I'm pretty sure my kids haven't seen it and I know of exactly zero kids who have or want the toys (and I know plenty of kids), so that's a good sign. I know it's anecdotal, though.

But I am hopeful because they spent a fuckload of money in inescapable advertisement in my country and yet kids seem to have not noticed the show. Whenever I hear about it it's from another adult who hates it, I never hear kids mentioning it.
They spent so much money and very few kids are aware of it. At least that makes me a bit happy. Perhaps next time the owners of a multi-million dollar property won't say "as producers we need to do something with this very marketable and recognisable IP. Quick! Gather a bunch of fresh-out-of-college communists with no experience and no talent and give them creative control!"

My god.

Very bad, look like a outsourcing problem to inexperienced oversea studios. It's almost 10 years and they still does it. John k stated this years ago how frustated it was with those studios.

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-notes-to-korean-animation-studios-1.html

But seriously about CalArt how the fuck they accepted the creators of Adventure time, Regular show, Gravity falls and Powerpuff girls into the institute despite the art look like made from a child?

And six

Reminder.

Also anyone saw that Teen Titans Go crossover?

Cartoons were never good

You think CalArts gives a fuck? The only thing they care about is students paying the high tuition. American colleges aren't about learning user, its about bleeding students for every cent they've got. They won't care if they release someone who can only do fuckin stick figures

Reminder that art in America is dead. Run by a committee of pompous asses who grade shit based on how it makes them feel. Traditional art has been dead for years because it takes actual skill.

Favoritism/cronism is a hell of a drug

Because despite its former prestige, CalArts has slowly faded into nothing more than a connection-forming meeting place and a highly-regarded diploma mill, just like all U.S. colleges and universities outside a few that specialize in S.T.E.M./trade skills. It used to be at least decent, but now its only purpose is to collect money from the families of trust fund kids and hand out credentials to those who suck up hard enough, while teaching absolutely-nothing except how to schmooze.

College students going to art schools like CalArts nowadays don't learn how to draw and animate well in such places anymore, because not only do they not want to learn since making yourself into/creating weird modern "art" is the hot trend, no one knows how to teach these skills anymore either because the teachers weren't taught such things themselves. It's a death spiral of degrading knowledge, increasingly-lost to time and the strange, constant changing of society.

Short version: CalArts and other art schools used to be good and educated artists who became great animators back in their heyday, but now all they do is churn out pretentious rich kid twats with their heads glued even further up their asses than initially, whose only learned skill from their time there is how to suck the right dicks the proper way in order to get into good positions through the magic of nepotism.

These are the people who hold the future of animation in their hands. Be afraid, for we've already seen the horrible output of the first wave of graduates, who at least encountered genuine quality work in passing at some point, but there's no telling what kind of terrible garbage we're going to get from the "artists" in training who look up to these mockeries instead of the old greats.

It's not the universities, it's the audience. Nobody is coming to watch cartoons for the animation, they come mostly for the writing.

Better animation does not raise the ratings and takes more time and money to produce. Why be less efficient when no one is paying attention?

It's all just market selection.

GOD HAS LEFT US

HE OWNS A SURF SHOP IN 1980s CALIFORNIA

Because they know how to draw.
You just look at SU original designs.
They decided for this option because its inoffensive, offers zero risks at is super easy to blend in the environment.
TL:DR
With episode productions going over a year they've been taught to care less for character design. Even though we're going to see primarily tosser characters.

Let's draw CalArts tier characters 40 years in the future!!

Those were very AT tbh

How?

What the fuck? Who the fuck let this through QA?
Oh, what am I saying, NuPPG doesn't even HAVE QA. Jesus, even I could do better than this, and I'm not even a fucking artist.

This one's better.

I would agree in some cases.
For example what
Said.
For Gumball to have Grinning potatoes isn't that bad because its already a mix of various styles.

Steven Universe lack of models combines perfectly with the half assed empty backgrounds that most modern cartoons would at least have pride for.

Bob Burger's extremely shitty designs clash incredibly bad with the stiff nu-Simpsons like environment.

Gravity Falls is a hit and miss.
For one thing the overly simple designs and overly cartoony choices clash really badly with the detailed backgrounds (like whenever someone has a shot of the woods behind them and Stan' nose) , but in themselves these designs are very detailed with hair, clothe damage, brushes, 3D perspective, eye bags, ect. And stylized enough to let things like light and shadows or reflections work.

Unlike the new DC animated movies or the vast majority of Korra; going for animesque and still looking ugly AF with shitty framerate horrible perspective and empty environments, either lacking detail or people.

The over simplistic designs in older shows passed because of the fast pacing of most of these shows, if your show is more plot heavy, or slow paced your designs should be more pleasant to look at.

Just ask Genndy going from Dexter's Lab to Sym- bionic Titan. Or the last airbender.

Although I gotta admit I never liked the designs of Ed, Edd and Eddy, they were just disgusting for me and the spaztic outlines animation was too distracting.

Shit, I really missed the point didn't I?
How does this relates to nu-ppg.
Well, first, it's pacing, besides being really bad in overall, is much slower than the original.
And they fuck it up even more with motionless outlines and that shot of the girls turning back to normal is objectively worst in deepness perspective than something from season 1 South Park.
I can't really explain how they managed to do that.

But it's funny and quirky!

Because they think spreading the feminist message is more important than the fundamentals of animation, let alone quality.

Why would anyone waste 10 minutes of their life to watch their childhoods get brutally raped without lube.

Good christ, even the average flash toon has better animation quality than this schlock.

I STILL HAVEN'T FUCKING GOTTEN OVER THE FACT THAT THEY GAVE FUCKING UTONIUM SOFT EDGES WHAT THE FUCK

I took it to its logical conclusion…

I still haven't gotten over the fact that they got rid of Miss.Bellum, possibly the smartest member of the cast, because she was too sexy.

I honestly thought it was a fake, some bad fan animation, or a parody using a screenshot.

Even the most lazy of Japanimation uses 3 frames. What the fuck were they doing? Where in the world was the quality control? What is going on?

Better animated youtube shit.

My guess is quality control mostly concentrated on cutting corners as much as possible because of lazy animators or lousy production management made the project drag.

We have a winner here!