AMD Working on 48-Core 7nm Processor Codenamed "Starship"

It appears AMD wants more of the server market.

eteknix.com/amd-working-48-core-7nm-processor-codenamed-starship/

fudzilla.com/news/processors/40945-amd-working-on-7nm-48-core-processor

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq/#amdpsp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamroller_(microarchitecture)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Holy fuck. This could be the last die shrink we see for a long time.

7nm won't be ready until late 2018 or early 2019 though.

does it really matter op ?
Until we can't remove psp and other similar shit I don't see the point of using new cpus.
libreboot.org/faq/#amdpsp

Our names are probably on a list anyway. Think of the multitasking though, 96 threads is nothing to sneeze at.

Nirvana fallacy.
Even x26{4,5}ing a 4K video can't use this much thread. This isn't made for us.

If the government wanted information about you, I'm sure they would already have it.

ISHYGDDT

EVERYTIME

2/10

those arab faggots always fuck it up.

>libreboot.org/faq/#amdpsp
this article is bullshit. the PSP is only in the APUs.

Only because AMD hasn't released anything other than APUs since they started including the PSP in their processors. When Zen comes out it will include the PSP.

but where are your proofs? the whole idea with these backdoors is that they let business owners remotely control laptops they hand out to employees. there's no point including it in a desktop CPU.

Do some research on what AMD's PSP even is first and you'll get your answer. Protip: it isn't for employers to keep tabs on what employees do with their laptops.

Nobody on this board would know what to do with that, let alone be able to afford it.
You armchair freetards don't even own a single SPARC between you.

see

Counter-sage because you are buttmad

Didn't transistors below 14nm become unpredictable, non-newtonian, or something like that?

A bunch of koreans did get 3nm for a transistor working using FinFET but under 7nm Quantum tunnelling can become a issue.

Yes (though I personally don't have any clue what that implies afterwards).

Just build a beowulf or buy a GPU.

First,

Secondly, you underestimate the capabilites of this board. Many of us run microservices on the backend of personal websites, render 3d and other highly multithreaded things.

the AMD finFET process is called "14nm" but it's actually more like 20nm compared to the Intel transistors. If they're calling this one 10nm, it'll probably just be actually 14nm.

It isn't that much bigger tbh

It is apparently 7nm

Confirmed vaporware, this will never see the light of day.

The rumor says 2019/late 2018 though, that doesn't seem too unlikely a timeframe.

Where the hell do you think you are?

I might upgrade my fx-6300 server to one of these and use the server board for my desktop.

Hey, if it works it works.

I think using a server as a desktop is incredibly comfy, not if you are using a rack mount though, unless you have a lot of free space.

God damnit AMD, release Zen then talk about your next step

The Opteron 165 Server CPU used to be the go-to CPU for desktop enthusiasts for a few years before Core2Duo came out. It had good price/performance/overclocking and although most people didn't use it, the stock cooler was better than average

Yes, sure it works, but what the fuck do you need server grade equipment for? What project or work you do that actually needs it? A powerful workstation as a desktop is already a bit overkill, let alone a fucking stand alone server. The power bill is high as well.

Xeon X5650's are currently a big meme for that very reason.

I miss the Opteron 165 era, I used the PC I built with it for about seven years.

Even the enthusiast motherboards were better back then, I wish DFI still made them (afaik they had a falling-out with dfistreet forums and then went back to making basically only industrial motherboards).

That era was dank

The point is that I repurpose "old" equipment rather than throwing it out. A fx-6300 is a straight upgrade from my Phenom2, and the server board is really high quality.

I've done this for years now with my desktop and server.

Also that X5650 memeprocessor looks kind of neat, even though it seems it was more the rage a few years ago.

Faster than what I have, I wonder how much it would cost to build a system with it?

It's not in Kaveri, right? Kaveri is 15h

Kaveri uses the Steamroller microarchitecture which does have it:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamroller_(microarchitecture)
Under the APU Lines

so it's just the APUs. who gives a shit about those?

Only because AMD hasn't released anything that wasn't an APU since introducing the PSP. Zen will have the PSP when it comes out.