Comics or cartoons: what is the worst bastardization of something you've loved...

Comics or cartoons: what is the worst bastardization of something you've loved? And while MOST of these will probably be movies, don't be afraid to talk about other adaptations that took something you enjoyed, and shit all over it.

Pic is obviously one of the perfect storms of terrible decisions and an obvious disrespect for the source material.

I hope there are some Birds of Prey fans out today, because I mentally blocked what little I watched of that show

Does taking Anime and trying to make it a shitty western cartoon count?

NO.

But taking western cartoons and making shitty anime out of them DOES count. This is Holla Forums, after all.

I don't even know if powerpuff girls Z was any good, I honestly never bothered to watch a minute of it.

I assume

You reminded me that I got two minutes into whatever the THIRD American Tail movie was called, and had to stop it because the song was too grating. Apparently there is even a 4th, but I don't wanna know.

Fivel Goes West? That movie was gr8 m8.

obligatory

Except for taking the helmet off, that movie was more Judge Dredd than the Karl Urban one.

I wish I could agree with you, but Convergence was far, far worse.

If the Nu52 gave you little hope for DC's future, Convergence extinguished that hope completely. It really drove home how bad mainstream comics have gotten.

PPZ was yards better than NuPPG for example

`what happened in convergence?

Not really. Yeah, a lot of the concepts were there, but as a movie it was just two hours of Stallone and Armand Assante growling at each other, with Rob Schneider thrown in there. The people who made it didn't really 'get' Dredd.

The reason people might say this is because Judge Dredd was this big tentpole movie and Dredd was a comparatively smaller movie. It was a day in the life of Dredd and didn't really showcase much of his world.

Just fuck my shit up.

You're right that they didn't understand it, but it was over the top, and with a little tweaking that costume could be great.

I would KILL for a Judge Dredd movie that's like Robocop.

Also I just realized, this is the same music that was used for the Ghost Recon Wildlands trailer
But Urban Dredd was just a 'realistic' version of the character, which misses the point big time. Vid related is not like Judge Dredd at all.

The same faggots that brought you the Nu52 reenact Injustice with DC'S ENTIRE HISTORY.

It was two months of DC demonstrating that they do not give a fuck about anything you love, ultimately culminating in a hand wave retcon of Crisis On Multiple Earths. The sheer laziness, shit writing, and complete ignorance of their own legacy was insulting to anyone who cared about DC's properties.

Future comic historians will mark it as the point where DC officially died.

Why? We've already got Robocop

Fuck that remake

Also, wasn't Robocop himself based on Space Sheriff Gavan ?

I meant the original, but okay

Him, Rom the Spaceknight and Dredd. I think there might also be some influence from The Dark Knight Returns. Verhoeven uses news coverage as Greek chorus the same way Miller does, and they got Miller to write the sequel.

I mean the original Robocop
I think I read some time ago that the creator saw Gavan in a trip to Japan or something and wanted to do something similar

I watched that shitty trailer recently. That voice acting, that animation that seems to be from the early 2000s. Suppose to come out September and this is the 4th movie. If anyone has seen the previous movies, they've got to at least be better than what they showed in this trailer.

Well, that is not a hard thing to do. NuPPG seems like it was intentionally made to be bad.

Remember that Tank Girl movie? I remember not liking and nothing else. I do have the tabletop rpg book of it which was for review purposes. I'd need to double check but I'm sure the rpg is based on the movie.

It's the 6th movie

I like how turtle is just flipped and has a hat if appropriate.

the fist of the north star movie was pretty much shit, even though the protag was a decent martial artist

That show was great.

Anyone who says the movie doesn't think too deeply.

The movie was corporate suits saying to do something and didn't do anything new with the lore and was just summing it up mostly.

However, this fucking trash ruins it all. Its cannon, its shit, it breaks all the rules, it flies in the face of what Avatar was, its "adult" themes are less than what TLA was, and so much more. Fuck Korra, fuck all this shit.

That's the second one.

You say that like it's an impressive feat.

A major part in LOK turning out how it did was Aaron Ehasz and John O'Bryan's absence. It's apparent from looking through TLA's production history that the two played a big role in the show actually turning out dandy. Such as Ehasz proposing to turn what was the muscular boy Toph into the short blind girl we know today.

I'm beginning to think Byrke's only real contribution to Avatar was the major shipping in the second and third seasons, considering it took center stage in Korra.

This is all I actually know about this story, but was there ANYTHING in it that could have competed with "going back to Infinite Crisis and changing the fate of the multiverse" as the obvious climax to the story? Because if there was a moment half that interesting before or after, I'd love to know.

I don't know how horrible the other New 52 are but I still want to know why DC thought this was a good idea. This isn't Lobo. This is a totally different comic and character that just borrowed the name "Lobo".

Didn't they kill the original Lobo, while saying he was a fake and this was the "real" one? Because that's just being a dick for the sake of it.

Instead of trying to explain Convergence, which would be a Herculean effort, I'll just post the synopsis from Wikipedia. I dare you to understand any of this.

Now if this seems like a giant, confusing mess of a story, it's even worse in comic format. I've storytimed the fucking thing twice and I still have headaches remembering it.

This doesn't even get into the 40 tie-in issues, all of them fucking hack jobs(save Shazam!). This event was complete shit and it went on for TWO MONTHS SOLID.

How was Shazam! not a fucking hack job?

The fallout for that was hilarious. Another reminder of why I'm glad I left cuck/co/.

Because it was made by people who actually gave a fuck about what they were working on. The writer, the artist, and the colorist gave Convergence: Shazam their fucking best.

It had no business being that good in such a bullshit event.

Every Dredd comic that IDW published has been a fucking insult to Ol' Dredd's legacy
And the less we talk about their run on Rogue Trooper the better

Dan Didio believes that Lobo is a serious character.

I'm glad I'm not alone. Bits of that almost started to feel like it might make some sense, but in the end I looked over the whole thing and have no idea what I read. I guess the writers felt the same way at a certain point and say "They have done it" and wrapped the book up.

Does this count?

Have I got a treat for you!

Anybody remember the Spawn manga? It was garbage ass.

I still bought it tho

Was it worse than the Spawn movie? Or the Batman/Spawn crossover?

Isant Japanese Spawn just Devilman?

Again, that's nothing compared to the original. It was 90% splash pages with events happening that made no sense.

My favorite part of the whole mess has to be Deimos. Telos is up there, but Deimos exemplifies so much of what went wrong with Convergence.

When you're planning a company wide event to cover your ass while you move to Burbank, who would you pick to be the big bad guy of this earth shaking, fan wanking crisis? The villain all the heroes have to team up to stop? Lex Luthor? Darkseid? The Time Trapper? Mordru? The Super Teacher from Krypton? Nah, how about a d-list villain from an obscure comic series that nobody reading would remember. It's insane to think about. Deimos was the villain of Warlord, a comic series that ended in 1989. He had only one appearance in other media, a forgettable one in the JLU episode "Chaos at the Earth's Core". This was the big villain of DC's love letter to it's fanbase, Convergence.

What makes it worse is that, like most of Convergence, it's clear that the talent didn't know/care who the fuck this character was. When you first see Deimos, you can't immediately recognize him. They fucking redesigned him for this event, which means that if you actually knew who this character was, the shock of his appearance was lost because it's not the same character you know. They do this with the rest of the Warlord mythos, completely fucking it up and making the inclusion of Skartaris in the event completely meaningless. You don't even get a satisfying Travis Morgan vs. Deimos fight since Deimos kills him in short order, along with the rest of the Warlord cast.

And don't get me started with the "magic of death". It might as well have been "SPELL TO MAKE EVERYONE FIGHT", because it was an obvious asspull to get a big battle at the end of this shit event because they wrote themselves into a corner with the Skartaris crap.

That's the bad guy? But no one with SKULL KNEEPADS can be evil! I did enjoy that JLU episode… but Deimos died like a bitch in that episode, so I don't see why anyone would build an event around that guy. Was there ANY real build up for him? Maybe I'm spoiled, I remember the build up for Thanos before Infinity Gauntlet was 18 or more issues of Silver Surfer, his own two part story to explain how he got the gems, and a few solid recaps of every major battle with Thanos in the past. I don't expect that level of build up these days but, tossing a guy who entirely missed the last 20+ years as the center of an event… that's nuts.

I mean, I would love to build an event entirely around Moses Magnum, but even he's had a few appearances here and there.

It really sounds like DC vs. MK had a better plot than Convergence. At least that was fun.

Korra was a piece of shit, but I would care to contest some of this guys criticisms of the show.Its obvious technology was able to advance so fast because there was a population and technology boom brought upon by peacetime after the first war, it happened so quickly because, unlike in real life, bending was utilized to accelerate industrialization, so it does kind of make sense. The failure on the writers' part is not fleshing out these ideas at all in the show

No. They just threw him into the middle of the plot and expected you know who he was, despite being both incredibly obscure and fucked up beyond recognition.

As I said, he exemplified a lot of what went wrong with Convergence. They wanted it to be a huge gift for the fans, but they didn't care enough about their history to actually deliver on that promise.

is this worth reading? or does it just end prematurely because DC doesn't give a fuck?

Not much is worse than the Spawn movie. It's probably just as bad as Batman v Spawn tho.

That's all I remember of it

Yes. IMO it's really worth tracking down and purchasing. It's the best Shazam comic that's been published in ages.

Thread already over, but I'll try.
Equestria Girls made me stop watch MLP, thank god, because I felt like a tool.

I've never watched that show, mostly because the villains they used were "in name only" and it looked boring as hell.

Nice to see I wasn't wrong.

Yeah it not only looks crappy, but they had to make some very edgy villians child-friendly.

Humpty Dumpty is just some random goon, while in the comics… well… he fixes things which he thinks are broken by taking them apart and putting them back together. Like his parents.

They went from feudalism to beyond what even we have in our world in just 70 years. And apparently full-body mechs, something we are still struggling with today, developed right along with the car. I'm calling BS on that, even if you have magic element powers. How is throwing rocks and freezing water at will supposed to help with scientific advancement anyway?

Seriously, of all the shit in Avatar, I don't think the technological advancement is anything to bat an eye at. The amount of advancement driven purely by the Fire Nation during the war were giant leaps, they went from a horse and buggy world to having airships and subs in very short order. Once the nations weren't completely segregated anymore, the advancements made to fight eachother could be shared, refined and expanded upon. We're talking about a world where people don't have to build buildings in a traditional manner, earth and water bending can make a multitude of structures with minimal labor force. Even without widespread lightning bending, the amount of time and toil saved just by having fire benders around would be huge.

You underscore it as much as you want, but if your'e picturing bending as just probending league tossing of shit around, you're just not thinking it out. The mere existence of bending, especially when you can hire skilled workers from different nations, cuts huge steps right out of many processes. Hell, even if you don't directly use tools crafted by fucking METAL BENDERS, the factory that makes most of the stuff produced probably was greatly aided by bending in multiple ways. The more limitations you cut away, the easier it would be for a genius to capitalize on the possibilities.

For the most part, they made it a bland magical girl series, but the humor seemed to pick up as it went on. Highlights IMO are the body swap episode and the anime's take on "him riddle diddle" which was one of those odd gags I found more amusing because I knew the punchline already.

It was always ridiculous bullshit, STEAMPOWEREDJETSKIS

Yet they never figured out how to shove explosives in a metal tube and fire a projectile out of it.

That makes it interesting, the tradition/ magic vs technology clash. That was the point. It's very much like e.g. China's development as a country.

Season 1 was great, with a strong ending. The budget killed the potential. Season 2 was very boring, in Season 3 I expected some clever twist regarding the villian, but he was just some random bad guy.

But it looked better than most of the shit you watch and celebrate here.

Production force is useless if you don't know what to produce. You need the scientific basis first; before you can manufacture a working mech you need to know how to make it work in the first place. That's why we are still struggling with it. And that's the problem I have with the sudden technological advancement, there is no way all of that scientific knowledge could not have burst out of nothing just like that.

It's dumb but you can ignore it. Legend of Korra is a far worse sin than The Last Airbender will ever be.

Joaquim dos Santos too. He was in Korra but as a producer which makes no sense because his biggest contribution to both ATLA and JLU where the well-choreographed fights and action scenes in episodes he directed. Korra had pretty shitty, unimaginative fights and that could've been solved by having Dos Santos FUCKING DIRECT.

Jeff Parker is the single most underappreciated writer to work at the Big Two in the last 10 years. He always, always, turns out top tier work on stuff that would otherwise be shit and doesn't seem to ever be rewarded for it.

kek

Birds of Prey had some redeeming aspects.

You don't understand, user! I was there the day it aired! All the pretty ladies in the world couldn't save it!

Oh fuck, I remember that Slimer show.
What a piece of shit.

She doesn't seem to age

What

Some of the tech did exist in that time period.

The idea of submarines/underwater combat vessel has gone back to antiquity. (seriously read the Wikipedia article on the subject)

Airships (Hydrogen/helium) have been around since 1852, while hot air balloons since 1783.

Skyscrapers wouldn't be impossible, the two reasons for their existence are the invention of the safety elevator and steel framing. In 1864 a 5 story skyscraper is considered the first.

The first season mecha tanks (with treads) though . . . some of the tech is right such as the use of treads instead of legs. The head is inspired by a diving helmet. The most complex component may be the arms/magnet system. Other components may be plausible.

Other seasons biped mecha* . . . Well . . . Errr . . . Let's just say NO for now.

* The only biped mecha I could remember was the one from the 4th season, until I did looked up info for the mecha tank design, did I learn of other season biped mecha. LoK has not been remember well in my mind and probably for good reason.

The second is kinda watchable, but the third is complete shit.