What is Holla Forums gonna do to push GNU/Linux...

What is Holla Forums gonna do to push GNU/Linux? Depending on companies like steam to deliver on steam isn't a good idea because there's a chance it might flop. We haven't done anything to appeal to normies and if we want a open source future we have to do something besides just sit around and be fatasses all day.

What does Holla Forums do to start the age of the GNU?

I say we push more memes

You can't meme something to success, it's all about if it gives people what they want and right now Linux is not giving people what they want.

>Linux is not giving me what i want

solid argument pal

I want steam to die, I don't want it to spread.

Linux is not giving the majority of people what they want.

Steam gives people what they want, it's a great example of recognizing a gap in the market and filling it.

Why care if plebs use linux?

I don't want to push GNU/Linux. I like it the way it is, without normies shitting it up. Some aspects of a normie invasion would be nice, like better support for proprietary software/drivers. That being said, I don't tend to use proprietary software much so it's not a big deal.

The biggest advantage of Windows dominance IMO is that you have an excuse to avoid giving tech support to friends and family.

I did a speech about libre software for my GCSE English speaking and listening exam, all the normies who listened to it thought it was a great idea and one of them said they would try to talk to the higher ups in my school about it.
To get my classmates interested I spread the Stallman meme, along with putting up the GNU/Linux copypasta in the science corridor, as well as openly reading "Free as in Freedom" in the middle of class to get them to ask about free software, it worked no, I didn't get laughed at, now a large portion of the people in my classes know what Linux is, including a few normies.

I also write programs for it, use it, and talk about it on social media frequently and how much better it is than Windows, advocating for it whenever possible.

I've attached the speech to this post if you guys wanna modify it, use it or whatever.

Inb4 underage

how about no?

The more normie-friendly linux is, the less user-friendly it becomes.

Oh Christ, you absolute fucking autist. Nicely done, though, if you actually managed to get people genuinely interested not just in Linux but in free software. I'm mostly indifferent about normies joining Linux, but I'd love it if more normies understood how proprietary software is harmful

How long ago was this? I can't remember much about GCSE English, but we never got to soapbox about a subject

Actually I managed to get them mostly interested in Stallman and libre software, mostly because of how much of a character Stallman is and how teens are draw towards that sort of weird stuff.

3 months ago.

I think it was only recently introduced.

I did GCSE English a few years a ago and did a speaking I didn't prepare for

I did mine 2 years ago, and we definitely did something to do with speaking but it wasn't a soapbox thing. I can't remember what we did, other than that it was group work and it was boring

Just do what Freetards have been doing for the past 20 years; Shit on Windows constantly with strawman arguments while calling anybody who criticizes GNU/Linux a computer illiterate because why release a streamlined system when you can just throw the source code out there and tell people who complains "fuck you compile it yourself!" Because it's worked so well for them so far...

Start making GUIs for programs instead of being an autist

Linux doesn't give most high schoolers what they want, but most people like to browse Facebook, make word documents, and one other thing. Most people don't play vidya on their computers and just want to download the few programs they need without getting a viruses.

/thread

Someone's mad that he couldn't install gentoo

What I do is install it for Windows users the next time they bitch about their PCs not working. It's better that they actually use it instead of hearing it sucked from a computer nerd friend of a friend who struggled with mainline Ubuntu with Unity and who likely shills Windows 10/OS X.

The only thing I can think of that normies use that isn't on Linux is tax software, and that's it really. Linux can open up Facebook, Linux can open up a word document and edit it, Linux can send and receive emails, the main issue with Linux is lack of brand recognition and the inability for normies to venture outside their comfort zone and actually try something different that doesn't have ads on TV.

As a genuine certified poorfagTM who got through high school with OpenOffice, I can vouch for this being false. It would fuck up the formatting a little bit but that could be fixed with some backspaces, and after I printed my shit out out it wasn't exactly as if file compatability mattered. There was some online service I had to submit my shit to; I don't remember what it was called but it took odt.

GTK's file picker is shit and every normal human being who tries GNU/Linux will pretty much notice because its used in Firefox. GTK will not accept anything but security patchs for GTK2 and nobody wants to use GTK3, so this will never be fixed anytime soon. another problem is Microsoft's formats for documents/spreadsheets, the only solution to that is to make people start dropping MS Office because compatibility for spreadsheets is bad and doc/RTF/docx isn't perfect, and MS Office fouls up opening ODTs made by other programs on purpose iirc. X11 still hasn't been replaced, OS X replaced it ages ago with Quartz and Windows uses something that probably works better for the end user. flash is discontinued on GNU/Linux, try to use some popular site that still requires flash and you may have problems.

excel spreadsheet support is still pretty bad last time i checked
i've noticed if its anything complicated in word files it will probably not work in libreoffice or openoffice.

Oh, please... Name a company that actually uses Gentoo in their environment...

I just don't understand why people don't integrate file picking duties into file managers.

I try not to be a sperg or walking stereotype when talking about it. I also accept that it's not going to be a full-time replacement for most people.
Keeping these two things in mind has helped me transition more people than I ever thought I could.

My cousin currently runs Mint as his daily driver, but he continues to run Win7 to play his games and accomplish things he hasn't figured out in Linux.

Dad and mom run Elementary. They don't do anything beyond watching videos and basic document shit, so it gets the job done.

Am I often questioned on how to do x, y, z? Yes, and I explain it in the most simple way I possibly can and without expectation for them to open a terminal. Everyday they get better at it and with every passing day they need less of my help.

Steam already flopped. It doesn't even run correctly on the current Ubuntu LTS any more.

Trump

Aren't those two terms synonymous?

I bought linux mint for my mother for her birthday

Rectifying the so-called "flaws" of GNU/Linux does nothing but compromise its quality by coddling impure normies who don't deserve to bask in its holy light. They ought to stick to their proprietary, easy-to-use childrens' operating systems like Mi¢ro$hit Windoze rather than sullying the superior GNU/Linux with the rank reek of casual peasantry.

Chromebook isn't a company.

Rick Astley, Snakes On A Plane

Celebrities who don't do anything.

Google and any company that uses Chromebooks, e.g. many US-American schools and universities