RSS is dead

RSS is dead.
But it was the best way to read news.
So what the fuck do I do now.

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2013/03/13/google-readers-death-is-proof-that-rss-always-suffered-from-lack-of-consumer-appeal/
addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/simple-rss-reader-srr/
github.com/setr/newfeed/blob/gh-pages/finalyorker.rss
setr.github.io/newfeed/finalyorker.rss
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

twitter

atom

Why would it be dead?
I'm still using it.

Its been removed as a prominent feature of all major browsers. The only people who are going to be using are people who used it back when it was popular. There will be no potential for growth, and as an effect there will be less and less sites supporting it, as we already have seen.

I still use it on Firefox tough.

Not only that but the ones that do use it now only include the first paragraph so you need to visit their site to read it anyway.

This reminds me of an old article: techcrunch.com/2013/03/13/google-readers-death-is-proof-that-rss-always-suffered-from-lack-of-consumer-appeal/

So... what was wrong with signing up to receive electronic newsletters, again?

You must use a burner mail, or receive spam?

You and like 4 other people

I thought lynx still supported rss feeds

I'm using a standalone RSS reader instead of using my browser, but it hasn't been updated in years. Might try making my own if I get bored enough.

Why would you want to give your email to someone else? Plus, you never get Spam over RSS because you connect to the provider directly instead of giving your address to the provider and then hoping you get email in return (i.e. indirectly).

How is it dead? Especially with Shithub providing Atom feeds for commits and releases.
Also, I can't imagine most distros removing their updated package feeds.

I wrote a simple shell script to periodically check feeds for new items and open them. You don't need to have it in your browser.

What?

addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/simple-rss-reader-srr/

i don't know about you, but 10,398 on just ONE add-on is a bit more than 5

I don't think it's too hard to hack around that though; I started working on it before but never finished

basic idea was to have a list of any rss feeds I wanted, that only published with first-paragraph

once a day, loop through the list

I think everything more or less works correctly, for most readers.

was working fine for random web-readers I was testing with, specifically mine (Reader3) was fucking up, and since there wasn't any other decent ios reader I could find, I stopped caring

I never actually bothered figuring out the rss standard, I just started injecting the new content into the old rss feed

code's shit
dunno why I was regex'ing everything instead of an xml parser
but anyways, here's a now very stale example of the feed for the new yorker
github.com/setr/newfeed/blob/gh-pages/finalyorker.rss

and the rss reader would point to
setr.github.io/newfeed/finalyorker.rss

curl + cronjobs

Leave that marketing speak for Hacker News.

Old and uninteresting IPv4 sure is never used now when we have IPv6.

even jewtube is offering it, you can mantain your subscription list without using a shitty google account

very confusing thread

RSS will never die

Facebook