Best filesystem?

pls answer

NTFS obviously

FHS is garbage, I prefer the Stali format

ADFS

fuck off

Is Holla Forums dead?

Which filesystem is least infiltrated by SJW?

I imagine most are just waiting for the catalyst to migrate

what? I left after josh started fucking with 8ch

That statement makes no sense whatsoever, at all.

?

I left after Infinity Next was announced.

Still here
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Better leave the site right now because most of the changes that were made to better the site were made by Josh before Next.

NTFS

Reiser4

ZFS. HAMMER2 could be nice, once it's ready. If you don't need fancy stuff, ext4 is just fine.

hi josh

So why did your dumbass post that pic with the password showing?
Oh so you were just pretending to be retarded?

There is literally no reason to use ZFS when BTRFS exists.

BTRFS being prime example of pointless NIHS aside, ZFS has had 0 data destroying bugs since its release, it's much more stable and more tested. There were attempts to migrate some stuff to btrfs where I work, but it just was not stable enough.

RedSeaFS you fucking CIA niggers.

The fuck are you talking about?
Fuck off, retard.

This is one of those "not the user you're talking to" moments.

Jesus Christ the original user was joking, please leave we really don't need anymore autistic users here

Ok. Enjoy your GNOOOO/SJWFS

nobody made a wife murder joke?

Holla Forums i am proud

You're retarded, aren't you? ZFS can be used legally with Linux, it just can't be bundled with it.

That is a huge problem.

Why on God's green Earth is Holla Forums so bad?

This thread:

This is cancer. Pure fucking cancer. Almost like everyone here is a Markov chain bot that was fed 4/g/ as input.

Why?

Its bigger than the chans, people in tech can be even more political than actual politics.

That strong opinion salted with the 'GNU' open source attitude makes for really toxic attitdes.

Well, not really. But if btrfs had the same features and reliability, it would matter.

You're right! I guess we need a code of conduct to eradicate those negative emotions.

haha nice try dubs. Code of conduct is also shit (on the other end of the spectrum, eg., transpavement nigger-kin), the real issue is asocial neckbeard manginas who need to find some identity.

FAT32

fuck off back to where you came from
you'd be better off

UDF is the best filesystem for flash storage.
I format all my usb flash drives with UDF. Great if you don't delete very often and just want a fast read filesystem for a portable /home or /bin directory.

Best Filesystem depends on what you need the filesystem to store. OS, Games, pics, long term storage, temp, archive, backups, CD/DVD/Flashmem...

ZFS = Best FS
It can do 99% of the above (I'm not aware of a method to write a CD/DVD disk using ZFS), and it does it best. Flashmem / USB sticks can be formatted with a ZFS filesystem. Heck, you can use 2 USB sticks and create a mirror 1 array using the ZFS filesystem, so that if one of your USB sticks fails, you already have a backup. In fact, with its builtin checksumming, you can verify the data on both USB sticks has not been corrupted using its builtin 'scrub' feature, and if data corruption is detected, it can correct the corruption using the data from the mirror.

,,,Would you like to learn more....

Zetabyte File System (ZFS) timeline per wiki:
ZFS was designed and implemented by a team at Sun led by Jeff Bonwick, Bill Moore[111] and Matthew Ahrens. It was announced on September 14, 2004,[112] but development started in 2001.[113] Source code for ZFS was integrated into the main trunk of Solaris development on October 31, 2005[29] and released as part of build 27 of OpenSolaris on November 16, 2005. Sun announced that ZFS was included in the 6/06 update to Solaris 10 in June 2006, one year after the opening of the OpenSolaris community.[114]

The name originally stood for "Zettabyte File System",[115] but today does not stand for anything.[116] A ZFS file system can store up to 256 zebibytes (ZiB).

In September 2007, NetApp sued Sun claiming that ZFS infringed some of NetApp's patents on Write Anywhere File Layout. Sun counter-sued in October the same year claiming the opposite. The lawsuits were ended in 2010 with an undisclosed settlement.[117]

SO let's get down to it, if you want some pro-tips on storing your data. ZFS is fucking sweet, and you can hook yourself up for a sweet price. The best/newest version of ZFS is provided by Oracle Solaris. You can, as a home user, create an account with Oracle, log in, and download their latest version of Solaris. You can then install that version of Solaris (at home) and check out all the features of ZFS filesystem. Let me tell you, ZFS snapshots are sexy as shit. Downside, Solaris is UNIX based and propriteary, so some of the stuff you might know from GNU/Linux doesn't xfer, like networking, their network cli is weird, and most things need cli. If you don't want cli because you suck ass, you can find yourself a nice GUI interface that uses FreeBSD with ZFS as a filesystem, ie OpenFiler (unless it now doesn't) If you want a desktop OS that uses ZFS (I like Arch), Manjaro Linux claims to offer ZFS off the bat (including for OS) on an Arch based distro, which sounds sexy as fuck to me. Haven't use it yet (Manjaro) but a big Arch user. Now ranking number 5 on Distrowatch.

tempfs

That's where I tell Google(tm) Chrome to store its cache. ;)

XFS for now BTFS when it comes stable Never Ever.

remember when we had a big thread making edits of those stupid bimbo "hacker" comics?

oh what fun we had back then...

Also, keep the Holla Forums in Holla Forums.

That disc (not a cdrom) and those cables are part of the grounding system for their Coconut Audio setup

xfs
default slack fs

Just use Ext4 for general use. btrfs when it's stable because even though I've not had data corruption with it, it did have an issue where it couldn't create new files, and suggestions to "rebalance" it didn't want to work. ZFS would be nice but I don't know how well it'd work as a main on Linux. FreeBSD can use it.

XFS should only be used on a rock-solid system. It hates crashes.

How about force shutdowns?

Am I the one single person in this world who regularly uses IBM JFS?

Was it unmounted properly? Then it's probably fine.

What does it do?

I tried it once on my laptop and was satisfied. From what I've read, it's slightly more crash-proof compared with XFS at comparable features.
Didn't follow through and went back to ext4 once I swapped to a SSD, because it didn't had TRIM support back then.

Does systemd's "poweroff" unmount properly?

Yes.

btrfs is garbage. It is hopes and dreams with an API. It will never amount to anything.

ext4 is ok but depressingly outdated and boring. I just want decent transparent decompression for my embedded devices that doesn't waste huge amounts of space due to block boundaries.

murderfs is dead.

others are mostly hipster faggotry, filesystem fashion for those not wanting to be seen in the outdated and boring. Find a 20something who recommends XFS and ask them how it aligns with LVM, they never have any idea.

I came here to make the joke, then I thought to myself, no, reiser bove..

To the contrary, you don't know how software development works.
The several vendors and numerous companies backing btrfs, which are very active in development, have just not focused on stability thus far. The project has been developing in different directions.

You don't want a filesystem that's supposed to eat ZFS' lunch to stabilize quickly. You want it to develop as much as possible before you focus on stabilizing it, so as to not entomb yourself.

And as soon as most decide they want to put resources into stabilizing it, you can expect it to eat ZFS' lunch just by virtue of being shipped with the kernel without the licenese headaches for vendors.
Besides Canonical, but their opinions don't really matter, they NIH shit constantly, don't contribute to the kernel, and almost dumped the most broken system initialization software found anywhere onto the ecosystem. They'd have set the Linux ecosystem back five years, if they'd have convinced everyone to use the trash that is upstart: it was broken beyond repair.

and by "use" I mean "use real upstart jobs instead of sysvinit fallback compatibility."
Anything besides the fallback was fucked beyond repair.

You do realize that OpenZFS is better than Oracle ZFS right?

All the ZFS devs left when Oracle closed the source, they now contribute to OpenZFS.

You have essentially, shitty DB code monkeys writing Oracle's ZFS now, btrfs is stewarded buy Oracle exclusively and that's a mess, hint hint?

Just use Open Indiana or SmartOS

Or FreeBSD.

Wrong.

Also I'd hardly call Mason a "DB code monkey" but if you want to shitpost about kernel engineers that are far better than you'll ever be, go right on ahead.

Then they had better blame Oracle for that abortion.

I'll say whatever I want to an Oracle sellout, OpenZFS is still the objectively superior and true successor of Sun's ZFS.

Again, you have no idea how software development works.
He types, as he roleplays being remotely competent.
While recommending the ghost town of OpenIndiana, that's a laugh. Are the majority of packages still older than Debian Squeeze?
Must be the new Haiku, for autists to circlejerk over.

Okay mang, even if I concede OI you still have FreeBSD and SmartOS.

lol

Apple File System

It's the new file system, dipshit.

That's very relevant to my interests. Is ZFS the best way to do this in most automatic and (inter-Linux) portable fashion possible?

You need to learn how to detect a flop, user. btrfs is the Star Citizen of filesystems. They've put tons of money and effort into everything but the core filesystem that they were supposed to be creating. It has lots of redundant and half-baked features stacked on top of a fs with shit performance and shit reliability. And improving the fs hasn't been a priority for them for a decade. During that time we switched to SSDs and the whole design is now outdated. It will never ever happen.

fail