Is there an equivalent to free software but for music? As in...

Is there an equivalent to free software but for music? As in, the project files/sound effects/etc are distributed with the final audio file? Does anyone distribute music like this? Is there a license equivalent to the GPL for this? (remixes of the song must be distributed with source files) I don't believe Creative Commons requires you to do this.

Other urls found in this thread:

ninremixes.com/multitracks.php
reddit.com/r/SongStems/
youtube.com/watch?v=xQtXsp4tIbw
mega.nz/#!G4xHEDoC!3NpzVK_fkAU6H8xad2RUmHkoNpQBSHTIx4ZQGM6bbvo
libre.fm/
youtube.com/watch?v=6Nfqpr3ygSg
youtube.com/watch?v=sebArtGr0JM
milkytracker.org/?download
pastebin.com/bQsqit58
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Trent Reznor
ninremixes.com/multitracks.php

that's pretty cool.

search for "stubs" there's a few people that throw them up.

It taught me that I'll never be good at music.

did he ever go into scoring films? I liked his work on the original quake game.

we lost this fight long ago when mp3 became the dominant format

apparently someone cracked rockband/guitar hero copy protection and ripped the multitracks (seem to be called "stems") to mega.nz but the link is dead.

try here:
reddit.com/r/SongStems/

yep him and another guy did the girl with the dragon tattoo and the social network
check out this cover of immigrant song
youtube.com/watch?v=xQtXsp4tIbw

mega.nz/#!G4xHEDoC!3NpzVK_fkAU6H8xad2RUmHkoNpQBSHTIx4ZQGM6bbvo

tsk tsk
tsk tsk

Holy Jesus, tsk tsk

pretty sure they're called the "stems" or something along those lines. Death Grips released a ton of their stems/instrumentals for The Money Store and Exmilitary I think.

I think David Bowie did something along those lines too.

Is Audacity free?

Yes.

Do you know of any sample mixing software that's freedom respecting fam? I know of Acoustica Mixer but it's propetriary.

I think it's usually called "free culture" or "free content". Take a look at libre.fm/ .

Would MIXXX work?

All tracker music can be deconstructed in any tracker composer program, you get to see all the samples and instruments and notes used to create the final song

MIDIs too

But tracker music is a whole community and mindset based on that shit, it's really quite cool

It's pretty funny, someone ripped Metallica's Death Magnetic from that and by putting those tracks back together into one song it's a much better end result because it isn't extremely overloud and clipping like the actual album is

youtube.com/watch?v=6Nfqpr3ygSg
youtube.com/watch?v=sebArtGr0JM

Not all his works are distributed that way, unfortunately… but still a good example.
Too bad he doesn't do proper mastering, his final mizes are always compressed&clipped to death. Except the very first album.
He too felt under loudness war.

mixes

Hasn't autoleveling in most consumer playback systems since 2010 basically ended the loundess war?

no, they just adjust for the peak or average loudness of a song, that doesn't stop producers compressing the fuck out of everything they get their hands on.

You can distribute music under a license very much similar to the GPL. Also public domain.

I don't know, loudness war sucks ass (as seen in ) but in Trent Reznor's case I can see the clipping being by design

What a retarded thing to call a "track"

Fuck you for deciding "DUUHHHH WELL BANDZ MADE UPPP DISSS NAME FEERR RDDEEMMM SO II WHUUULLL UUSEEE DAT NAMEEEE AAA IFFF IITTT wuuuZZZ DERRR WURDDDD"

Bet you're opposed to men taking young girls as brides too.
Got anything to say to that you fucking normie-faggot who couldn't code 2 lines if your continued attachment of your fingers to your fist depended on it?

Also I KNOW you are opposed to men taking female children as brides.

I believe that you should be killed for that.

You opposed Deuteronomy (22, 28-29, hebrew) and you entice others to follow instead woman's democratic law. You MUST be killed on the spot according to Deuteronomy.

Stems aren't strictly the same as tracks, they're usually groups of tracks (all guitars, all drums, all vocals, etc…) rendered separately (called "bouncing") from the rest of the project.

Wow, too intimidated for women your own age, so you resort to the weak, underdeveloped, and androgynous to assert your dominance. Sounds pretty homosexual to me. Typical kikery.

Nope. For some reasons, producers didn't stop killing music. And what's killed, cannot be repaired, because that process is not reversible.

There are some software which tries to interpolate clipped portions of audio, but it's never perfect and I didn't hear about any free software doing this.

There's a positive side, though: it became easier to discern good music between piss and shit, because one can look at the average loudness level/dynamic range and instantly see if it's shit or not. (there are exceptions, of course, but more often than not this rule works)

Loudness war's purpose is to increase music's short-term impression on normies with bad tech. Good music is made not for everyone and implies listening on good tech.

Nope. (I mean, clipping on the final mix is never by design except the author is dumb—but on some individual tracks, yes, they are also there sometimes)

Wow, such butthurt

This is true.
Stems aren't the true sources. They are usually partially mixed and processed tracks.

is milkytracker?

I ask because it's multiplat

milkytracker.org/?download

How's your mod coming Mikee?

what do i use to test this? can i do it with audacity or is this something different?

jewgle:
+ ReplayGain
+ Dynamic range database

cheers chap

Sunvox seems to be a tracker/synthesizer that can reach infinite complexity (including running its own instances as filters), but I wonder why most of its songs have characteristic sandy treble-heavy sound. Maybe author have used linear instead of logarithmic scale for frequency processing?

Milkytracker?
LMMS?

A shame that they sound like the 128kbps mp3s they are

Death Grips did something like this with Black Google I think

mega ain't that bad
pastebin.com/bQsqit58