So what is Holla Forums's opinion on the Tolkien movies?

So what is Holla Forums's opinion on the Tolkien movies?

also, why in the world was the Battle of the Five Armies so awful?

Other urls found in this thread:

maple-films.com/downloads.html
tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/i-have-recut-peter-jacksons-hobbit-trilogy-into-a-single-4-hour-film/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

LOTR trilogy I liked even with the multiple endings of Return of the King.

Battle of the Five Armies is flawed because there's no weight behind it and it is very dragged out. Seriously, the fight between Thorin and the orc/goblin dude was way too long. The fights in LOTR mattered because it was an apocalyptic tale where the fate of the world was in their hands so they couldn't afford to lose. The Battle of the Five Armies isn't that type of war and is more like WW1 where each nation fought for its own selfish reasons. That and the Hobbit was more of a lighter tale anyway so the whole serious grimdark stuff doesn't work with it. They tried to make the Hobbit movies serious like the LOTR but failed because the Hobbit isn't meant to be serious its meant to be a fun adventure which Tolkien could read to his kids at night.

The main problems of the Hobbit movies come from them being made to be the prequel of the LoTR movies: being stretched into a trilogy, being too grim for the source material and needing to shoehorn in stuff to connect the two trilogies.

True, would you consider the Rankin Bass Hobbit movie to be better?

They really fucked it up by not making The Hobbit first. It should have been the Philosopher's Stone of the series. Something light and fun that introduces you to the world. By making it the followup to LotR, it suddenly has to match up to LotR in terms of scale, and that's just not what The Hobbit ever was.

It would also work really well because kids who grew up with The Hobbit could then watch LotR when they aged up a bit.

I don't really like Hackson but the LotR trilogy was okay.

When I am in prison I willl watch LOR.

When I am in Hell I will The Hobbit,

When I am in Super Truth Jail I will watch Simirillion.

Del Toro pissed all the prep time away and left Jackson with nothing to go with but improvisation while the money men were putting a gun on the back of his head to force him to a release schedule.

Yep, Jackson himself said that he had no idea what he was doing when making the hobbit movies.

Having to turn a fairly short book into a trilogy with interracial romance and strong female characters also had something to do with it I think.

Hackson apologists need to fuck off back to reddit

Stick to 4chan with your rote responding.

The issue is obvious (((studio))) meddling.

the hobbit trilogy was just a disgrace

Because
The movie could be divided in two, not three.

The only really bad stuff in the Hobbit movies was the OC they added. The fan edit that turns it into one film and trims that shit out is very good.

Stretching something that should at most been two movies. Applying his longer is better mentality from Lord of the Rings to the Hobbit. Didn't this also filmed in an odd frame rate because it made it look much cheaper looking than it should be?

I even kind of enjoyed his King Kong even though there were times I just dozed off because scenes were taking too long. Hobbit just seems like he really didn't know what to do but was just given orders to finish it up before a set release.

LOTR as it should be. High fantasy with some mystery, lots of landscape shots and very good pacing.
The weak middle but pulled off surprisingly good. Muh spearmaiden.
Full of good war scenes but looses on the fantasy realm. Some shit is uncalled for and an obvious filled. Frodo-Merry arc being a good example. they never went to Osgiliath and never had a row on the entrance of fucking Mordor.

All in all:
-good pacing
-good mixture of CGI and costumes
-the books are well adapted
-actors that aren't diversity hires and can act
-a good fuck you to the ruling freemasonic Elite

HOBBIT 1&2&3
-YOU REALLY LIKE LOTR SO HAVE THE MOVIES FILLED WITH REFERENCES TO LOTR
-PACING, WHAT IS THAT?
-YOU MEAN THAT MOVIES AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE GREEN SCREEN DOCUMENTARIES?
-3/4 OF CHARACTERS THAT AREN'T IN THE BOOK GET A CHARACTER GROWTH BUT THE DWARFS ARE COMPLETELY LEFT OUT SAVE FOR HEAD KIKE, SMART KIKE AND FAT KIKE
-LOOK SMAUG IS VOICED BY CUCUMBERTACH, COME WATCH
-WHAT DO YOU MEAN ALL THE VILLAINS WERE NEVER IN THE BOOKS?
-GALADRIEL, ELROND, GANDALF AND SARUMAN WERE ALL FIGHTERS
-GANDALF WANTS FRIENDS TO DIE FOR HIS MASTER PLAN? LOGICAL!
-LET'S BLOW 1 HOUR OF SMELTER JIGABOOING FOR THE PLAN TO FAIL IN THE END
-9 HOURS FOR A 200 PAGE CHILDREN'S BOOK? OKAY GOYIM!
The only positive side was the Bilbo-Smaug conversation. Everything else should be killed with fire.

Hi website

Does the tone and atmosphere in the book match the movies? I'm thinking about reading the books but don't know if I should go in with the same image as the movies.

no

Would there be some good artwork to look at to get a decent idea of how everything should look? I have a movie reproduction of the books so it's that dark fantasy imagery.

there's been several illustrated editions (the Michael Hague edition seems the favorite) and even full comic versions if you really need that short of thing. There's also the 1977 cartoon version that is a bit dated, but otherwise fine.

Not at all. The book is an adventure story which follows Bilbo very closely. It's 100% his story, with some big events happening in the background that Bilbo is only vaguely aware of.

What about LotR?

LotR movie is more faithful to the books, but there are differences. Tolkien generally tends to have people sing lots of songs and can go on lore jags.

While they take liberties with the source materials by changing certain characters and events, they're generally seen as good fantasy films in their own right. The right combination of a classic fantasy tale, good casting, good music, and altogether memorable cinematography. Although the books are far superior, I have a soft spot for the movies.
Because the original version didn't have a fucking CGI Billy Connolly. While the LOTR films take out a lot and adds a few OC things, the Hobbit films add way too much of their own crap to bloat it to entire trilogy. The Hobbit book has a lesser scale and weight than LOTR, but for the movie, they needed to ramp it up and make it seem more "epic", dark and world shaking. Paradoxically, by dragging everything out, such as the Battle of Five Armies, it actually makes it boring and flat.

Be thankful that Silmarillion is so autistic that it could never be subjected to this shit. For everything else, there's
>>>/arda/

There's a Simirillion movie?

They want to do a Beren and Luthien movie series and just focus on that.

Not really, particularly not the Hobbit movies but the LotR trilogy is quite different in tone too. You would do well to try to forget the kitchy films and let the books paint a new image for you, they're quite descriptive.

btw we talk about this stuff here too :)
>>>/arda/

It's a shame the board is so slow but it's kinda comfy.

Are they the Jews just waiting for Christopher Tolkien to die at this point?

i found the edit that merges the three hobit films into a four hour one to be quite good

CGI is still fucking awful though

Link to that?

Because it was the last act of what was supposed to be the second of two movies, but it was padded out into its own movie for some godforsaken reason.
The godforsaken reason is more normalfag money for Hollyjews.

Two funny adventure movies not in 3 grimm stupid movies

Fellowship is easily best one but strangely i like two tower more then rotk, ROTK felt litle too rushed to my taste.

What did he mean by this?

???

Man, you guys weren't kidding. I'm on Chapter 4 now and it's crazy how well Tolkien paints vivid pictures with words. This sort of thing would be difficult to capture in a movie.

A bit off the topic of Holla Forums, but what are some good Tolkien like vidya? Doesn't necessarily have to be based on his movies/books.

I've been wondering this too but there really isn't any. There's some basic stuff like War of the Ring which is an okay RTS or Shadow of Mordor which is a half decent action game but there's nothing that really captures the tone of his books.

Try LOTR mods for
-Total War:Medieval, Rome
-Mountainblade
-EU3/4
-CK2

Also roguelikes ToME and Angband if you have some hairs on your chest.

Downloading the M&B mod as well as the rougelikes. I enjoyed Stone Soup so I'm sure they will be a good time.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was fantastic.

BFME 1 and 2 are both good. I can't really call one better than the other - give 'em both a go.

maple-films.com/downloads.html

Not the user that asked but downloading it now, thanks!

Imagine a Hobbit produced in the late '90s at the same time as the original trilogy. How fucking comfy would it be without Hackson's godawful CGI bloom and 48 fps shitstains on the screen.

It would be like Fellowship, but even comfier. All of the characters would be in makeup and prosthetics, save for a select few long-distance shots of the battle. Smaug would look amazing as this is the era where prosthetics mixed with CGI was at its most beautiful, being used sparingly and overlayed through different methods (I forget what exactly was the difference but its why Jurassic Park cgi holds up so well while Star Wars doesn't). Plus they would look younger, and the Hobbit wouldn't have to compete with the trilogy in terms of grandeur. And no Tauriel.

The only real letdown would be Gollum, I imagine he would undergo a transformation like Yoda in the prequels.

I never really liked CGI Gollum, he was the Jar Jar of the LotR movie trilogy.

He was the key to all of this.

That would have been amazing.

She wants that BWC

Tauriel is a real cutie in her elf makeup.

Anyone have any of the collectors swords from the movies? Would anyone be able to recommend a cheaper one that is worth buying and displaying? Seems like everything on eBay is pretty pricey, though there are some stings that are in the 60 dollar price range.

"The Hobbit trilogy" is only view able if you have one of those fan fixes that removes all the added crap that never happened in the book and turns the thing into one 2-3 hour movie.

Like so:
tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/i-have-recut-peter-jacksons-hobbit-trilogy-into-a-single-4-hour-film/

Bard's two daughters are really q.t.

It's still trash by virtue of everything looking overly CGI/bloomed to shit.

This movie could pass for a JJ Abrams film.

LotR was good outside of that stupid dead army ass pull, which logically could have gone after Mordor. They were driving motorcycles apparently with how fast they were flying. Seriously could have done without them, or do Zombies that took out Corsair like the book said that's all they did.

The hobbit was tiresome. Not because it's a bad movie, but it's story spanning three long movies is overkill. Remember a lot of us had to wait fucking years to see one fucking story resolution. It's fine together, separately it is shit. It would have worked better on HBO as a singe season series.

Whites win once more.

I just re watched the Hobbit movies and it works a lot better if they can be watched back to back. I remember disliking these movies when they came out because of the year in between each new movie. The second movie is the worst offender in this regard. Smaug flies to Laketown and credits roll.

Every Peter Jackson film since Fellowship has gotten farther and farther from the source material, and I liked each one less because of that. I can understand leaving out poor ol Tom Bombadil in the first film, but adding in fucking shield sliding in Two Towers? Unforgivable. What he did to Gimli, making him into the laughable lovable C3PO side kick? Unfuckingforgivable. He changed major shit that was important too, like the elves showing up at Helm's Deep? WTF?

Peter Jackson will burn in hell right next to Lucas.

The movies have little to do with what Tolkien actually wrote.

nofunallowed.jpg? These are adaptations of the books and probably as close to the books as any LOTR movie ever will be.

The problem is making them coherent but still digestible by American audiences. Even though all 3 movies were arguably short compared to the books, there were plenty of people who were falling asleep by the last act of each.

It would have faired better as a television series but released all in one go or basically a 6-7 hour movie for each book that can be broken up so normies can still somewhat watch it.

Based on current trends, that is what the Silmarillion series will be when Christopher croaks. 7 hours CGI with floating faces.

Adaptions I can handle, adding unnecessary bullshit like shield riding? FUCK THAT.

:'(

Yeah, I get it, compromises. TV series would have lacked the budget, and therefore the CGI.

Silmarillion TV series? Interesting.

Shield sliding is fine, Elves at Helm's Deep is not fine. The first one is fun and the second one changes the story. See how that works?

Ironically enough, that's one of the things it's "in cannon" with LotR - the Necromancer was driven out of Dol Guldur by the combined forces of the White Council, Saruman's "arts" (probably gunpowder) in particular were key to victory, as it was stated by Gandalf in the Fellowship book (The Council of Elrond) s. We know that at least Galadriel, Saruman, Elrond, and Gandalf were part of the White Council (plus all those Eldar princes who lived in Rivendell but weren't shown in the movies, like Glorfindel). Of course the fight itself made no sense (Gandalf gets imprisioned and beaten up by Sauron, then he has to be saved by Galadriel because muh feminism)

I think it was an attempt by Jackson to bring in the elves into the war. In the books, it's specifically noted by Legolas and Gimli that, even if they asked for help from their own people, nobody would have come - they had war on their own lands and wouldn't be able to send any help. Orcs tried to invade Lothlorien three times; Thranduil had to deal with an army gathered at Gol Guldur; and Erebor went under siege by the forces of Sauron. Of course, in the movies they can't really explain away all that stuff, so let's bring elves so they don't look like complete assholes who didn't do anything while Rohan and Gondor were doing all the fighting.

That was actually a plot point in the books as well; Boromir and Denethor thought that the battle against Mordor was a struggle of Gondor alone, and Elrond had to point to Boromir that all the peoples from Middle Earth were fighting, each on their own way

Fun? Fun? At the fucking Battle at Helm's Deep? Dude, fuck you. See how that works?

Jackson probably interpreted that, since Gimli had a few funny quips in the books, he should obviously be turned into the comic relief.
Those are funny moments of his character, but it doesn't make him le funny dwarf that Jackson turned him into.

Thank you, somebody gets it.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did a Siege of Erebor movie at some point to pass the time until Christopher croaks.

Autistic screeching is not an argument.

Whatever movie studio gets the rights will try to emulate Star Wars and Marvel release cycles.

You keep on keeping on there, champ. Maybe mommy will let you walk outside without your helmet on if you trade in enough GB points.

Maybe Disney gets it, and then shove interracial and stronk wymyn in it.
Directed, of course, by /ourguy/ (((JJ Abrahams))), to really point out the enriched multicultural nature of the new Lord of the Rings franchise.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug already started down that road. Interracial Dwarf Elf romance and niggers in Laketown.

Wow. I didn't remember that. Shit, I would understand perhaps having some orientals (Valle was halfway to Rhûn), but niggers? Harad was thousands of miles to the south.

the hobbit movies were shit, but you're cucked as fuck, redditrump.

#NEVERBOARDOWNER
#CRYONSUDO

How was the elf army being at Helm's Deep fun? They barely did anything, aside from getting slaughtered.

He's talking Legolas's sliding over a shield like a skateboard, I think.

Yeah yeah, here's a (you), this thread is okay, wait until I summon you for an actual shit thread pls, my pet.

Yes, it still has problems as you said with CGI however its the only way to watch it without committing suicide.

Yeah I still like LotR but Peter Jackson screw up a bunch of stuff….

Watch or make a fan fix you don't have to watch that shit ( niggers or the elf/dwarf romance) if you don't want to.
Same for all the bullshit "Legolas" shit in LotR… easy cuts….

Wait until the enviable reboot of the LotR featuring niggers, arabs, fags(trannies,etc.) as prominent characters.

There's so much for (((them))) to ruin.

Oops should read inevitable

Yeah, def count on it..
also elvish jews because jews are ugly and they are jealous of beauty.

They should have mad the hobbit one film. They padded it out with so much trash to make big bucks on a trilogy.
Fucking fags and should have kept toro since all the groundwork of 2-3 years was scrapped when jackson took over

The only inoffensive change made is giving Bard two q.t. daughters.