Firefox/Chrome ktrace

>tedunangst.com/flak/post/browser-ktrace-browsing
I think we need a browserocaust. I really hope Fiber comes fast enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

tedunangst.com/flak/post/file-considered-harmful
github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/pull/1273
8ch.net/tech
kver.wordpress.com/
github.com/uzbl/uzbl/tree/next
tedunangst.com/flak/archive
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am mildly excited about Fiber. Hoping for the best, but honestly expecting the worst. Trying not to invest too much time in it until it's actually available.

While waiting on that, I've been using Qutebrowser (inb4 >webkit). I certainly can't argue that it's the best, but if you're torn between SJWfox and Botnet, it's a nice compromise. The dev seems like a decent guy, and is pretty active on IRC.

Many of his complaints are from lack of experience and shouldn't be taken as valid criticism. The repeated time checks, for example. When scheduling an event to happen at some delta time in the future, you'll need to check what time it currently is first. You want to have the period between which you get the time and calculate the absolute time as small as possible as this is a race with the scheduler. This kind of code doesn't show up in something like ktrace as it is generally just building a heap sorted by time.

Qutebrowser is nice. I'm monitoring its progress closely. Currently using it as a backup browser because nothing beats a well configured Firefox right now. You can complain all you want about how SJW Mozilla is, and they are SJW, but a well configured Firefox with the right addons can't be beat. Firejail it, and you have a nice, private, secure browsing experience. Only things I'm missing for Qutebrowser to be perfect are: umatrix/noscript or comparable, https everywhere or comparable, greasemonkey or comparable, stylish or comparable. umatrix/noscript and https everywhere or comparable addons being most important. greasemonkey and stylish I could live without, but would be nice to have.

Except by Chrome, which smokes it in almost every way.

wew lad

Yeah, it'd sure be nice if chromium was open source and we could do something about that, fellow software developer on Holla Forums.

shiggy.

That's not nearly edgy enough for me.

Go ahead and remove all the botnet from the Chromium source if you want. Recompile your shit every new version if that's what you feel you have to do, but with Firefox all I have to do is go into about:config and start disabling shit I don't want or need. Firejail it, and I have a sandbox just like Chromium does. Firefox has access to much more powerful addons as well for added privacy/security. Even Iridium doesn't remove the botnet entirely from Chromium, they just redirect the botnet to their own servers.

Good luck with that.

He's an OpenBSD dev though.

Some of his flak articles are good too, too bad the actual site doesn't let you look through the archives.

tedunangst.com/flak/post/file-considered-harmful
Comedy gold.

Personally, I would only need a good adblocker, umatrix replacement and maybe cliget. Currently waiting for github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/pull/1273

$ lynx 8ch.net/tech

Will Fiber have a new rendering engine? All I could find so far related to UX issues, and we really don't need more shells on top of Webkit.

It's using primarily some Blink framework right now, but the dev promised during the early days that one of the strong points of the browser would be a swappable rendering engine with Servo and Blink.

Fun thing about all this is that Fiber is already testing Servo and it's succeeding at rendering Holla Forums properly, as confirmed by the dev himself some weeks ago, screenshots included. On a related note, he seems to like shitposting and is a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of Chrome.

Sounds interesting, got a link? I only found an article without one.

Just what we needed, another browser for autists

Midori has script blocking and is also foss

Agreed, but sincerely.

The web is so disgusting that I don't even want a browser running on my desktop.
I want a modularized browser where the part that parses the html and js (both of which are disgusting imo) sits on an isolated virtual machine used solely for this purpose, and produces a binary structure that efficiently holds the compositing data and raw data (text, pictures etc...) and byte code (behavioural data) that is verifiably non-malicious.
The binary compositing structure and byte code can then be sent to a light browser like program that creates the page on my PC and, if I ever get one (not likely), my phone.
The interpreter must be verfiably unexploitable and stuff like site specific cookies must be completely inaccessible to any site but the one for which it was enabled, decided manually by the user on a site by site basis with no cookies set as default.

The other stuff, like built in addblocking and umatrix and noscript should be built into the part that does all the gross work in the sole-purpose server VM.

I wish I could link you but I read the first statement on Holla Forums long ago. The second statement came from Holla Forums as well, and it's probably still up in one of the thousand browser threads in our catalog. I remember the thread getting very little responses, but basically, the dev himself posted a photo of the thread just a few replies in. He said he didn't have much time to update his blog, but he also said he would post something regarding the (slow) progress of Fiber fairly soon. Sadly, I don't know the URL of his blog.

Appeals to authority don't work here.

This is stupid for desktop use but I think Opera did something like this for their phone browser.
Make sure your VM isn't Turing complete if you want to be sure it's safe.

Can confirm, I saw the thread. No link though, but here's the blog: kver.wordpress.com/

xombrero is breddy gud ackshully

Retard. Fallacies only mean there's no implication. There's still a strong correlation between software writing experience and being a promient OpenBSD (or any FOSS OS) dev.

I've used it, and for a #45675 Webkit wrapper, it's good, but it's still a Webkit wrapper.
For those, my favourite is uzbl, but let's be serious, until there's something having roughly ublock/umatrix, I'm not gonna change.

Also, uzbl developement isn't stopped at all, and Webkit2 is coming.
github.com/uzbl/uzbl/tree/next

SJW lies tedunangst.com/flak/archive

Where did you find that link!

It's right there on the site?

Picture? I can't find anything of the sort, not even in the page source.