A New Manufacturing Technique Could Finally Make Titanium Cheaper

First up, titanium just got really useful.

gizmodo.com/a-new-manufacturing-technique-could-finally-make-titani-1688151340

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2016-02-bioengineers-open-source-laser-sintering-printer.html
news.mit.edu/2016/automating-dna-origami-opens-door-many-new-uses-0526
nature.com/news/biology-software-promises-easier-way-to-program-living-cells-1.19671
genengnews.com/insight-and-intelligence/crispr-crossing-new-barriers/77900666/
phys.org/news/2014-04-laser-technology-lightning.html
sciencealert.com/nasa-scientists-are-investigating-a-propulsion-system-that-could-reach-mars-in-3-days
archive.is/UWHcP
extremetech.com/extreme/226449-nasa-is-designing-a-massive-solar-sail-to-reach-interstellar-space
mining.com/luxembourg-aims-high-with-asteroid-mining-deals/
popularmechanics.com/technology/news/a13919/new-steel-alloy-titanium/
phys.org/news/2014-04-laser-technology-lightning.html#jCp
linkedin.com/pulse/new-magnesium-alloy-worlds-strongest-lightest-metal-sahit-muja
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Great.

But what does this have to do with anything, OP?

Tungsten penetrators have existed for quite a long time.
Depleted uranium penetrators have existed for a long time too.

Who cares?

Titanium isn't just expensive to purify it's also expensive to work.

Titanium wouldn't make a very good projectile because it would lose speed due to air resistance that much faster than heavier materials.

Sweet, sweet sintering. Who thought it would have ended up being so useful?

phys.org/news/2016-02-bioengineers-open-source-laser-sintering-printer.html

are you just going to post news stories?

It's a space elevator thread, so yes, yes I am.

Wouldn't the same amount of gunpowder make it fly out the barrel faster though? Wouldn't deform as much on impact either. A thinner bullet could now penetrate as good as a fat one. The firearm to fire it would be lighter too.

Buy shares of titanium maybe?

Flachettes have proven to be a shit idea.

If you were making a titanium bullet, using it as a jacket for the lead would probably be better. There is more value in heavier bullets than downside.

I don't know enough about bullets to speak to the value of using titanium, but it would be cool for the novelty of it if nothing else.

I can already imagine myself with my 3d printed gun removing kebabs.

Is lighter firearms a possible use?

Genetics is about to get really fun.

news.mit.edu/2016/automating-dna-origami-opens-door-many-new-uses-0526

Looks like material is finally breaking some thresholds. Just a bit more and large-scale public works won't be dependent on infrastructure in other countries.
Wouldn't it be grand if every nation could supply its own military? Every metal item being printed out, from eating trays to guns? Not from some lobby'd factory deal, or ordering overseas from a super power. You higher computer engineers, you build a printer, and you feed it the material.

Hell, run this down in bunkers or remote towns and you extended their lifespan. No more worry about essential parts breaking. Small communities become a lot more sovereign with 3d printers.

A little respect

I didn't even notice it was you until you said that. Should've gone with a title like "Space Stairs Thread #2: Titanium Edition" or something.

Shit, I probably should have.

Respect?
None deserve MY respect.

disgusting, gas yourself, and take your dubs with you.

gas yourself, and shove those trips up your ass, you fucking cuck

I'm not the one looking at her feet.

Have you never seen a space elevator thread before, user?

I didn't look at them intentionally, you fucking cuck.

They were shit then and they're shit now.

old school .45 long colt will always have a bigger wound channel than any newfangled flechette that puts pin-holes i people.

That's terrible!

WE SPACE ELEVATOR NOW

they were and still are awesome
go fuck yourself with an uncircumcised cactus lubricated with pepper-spray dissolved in non-kosher pig cum

Really, really fun.

nature.com/news/biology-software-promises-easier-way-to-program-living-cells-1.19671

Well I'm sure it helps streamline things for those that do know what they're doing.

I like natural boobs.
You rubber-boob types are closet fags.

If I wanted to watch the same with a vague understanding of a topic linkdump without any purpose, I'd visit /n/.

He's the imageboard equivalent of facebook "I love science" groups.

what, I'm not talking about rubber boob implants you imbecile, boobs take on all different sizes and shapes, and I happen to like one type more than another

plus bretty sore 90% of people hate saggy boobs

I'm not degenerate, user.

Nice trips, first off.
Secondly, Some anons do enjoy these threads, because some anons are actual scientists.
Lastly, please to be of noticing all of my science news posts relate to one another from a systems engineering standpoint.

YES.

You can buy these already. They are just really expensive.

then close the fucking tab you braintart-inflated shitbag

actual scientists either buy research or go to 31.184.194.81 dear user

Where_do_you_think_you_are.jpg

88's are Hitler dubs, noob.

Then why would you not make a board for this? I was going to suggest making /sci/, but it actually exists and is dead. So why not /PoliSci/ or somethin.
I hated the Weekly South Park threads and I hate brit/pol/ for the same reason.

I guess if it helps you drown out the sound when Jamal visits your wife then power to you, but not all of us are such apathetic faggots.

Fag.

Actual scientists read popular science journalism too, user. I know because I am one, and I do.

It's a good way to get info on things that are outside of your specialization. Learned about 3d printing and graphene that way.

I hate you, so why don't you leave?

If you're going to pretend to be a scientist, it helps to be able to read too buddy.

Go make your own board for stupid insults.

Zombie apocalypse when?

>Which I may have a shot at getting if I play my cards right in the coming weeks

Have I been enlightened?

yes but make it too light and recoil starts to increase

I know you faggot.
gas yourself

Are you serious, user? back when I used to dabble in electronics, pop-science was the most unreliable source of information ever. EVER. You can't learn anything from it, you just learn over 9000% generalized balderdash

You forgot to change proxie.

Depends on whether you utilize superior ero-doujinshi or not.

as long as she has good proportions and will make a good wife.

Cybernetic brain enhancements when?

genengnews.com/insight-and-intelligence/crispr-crossing-new-barriers/77900666/

How?

Not spaghetting my shit.

She is a weeb, but a beautiful weeb who I only came into contact with because I saw her art project on the bus to school.

An art student? Crazy and a slut, easy to fuck. Not worth it.

See this is the kind of shit I'm talkin about.
You preface it as "Researchers Are Developing Ways to Edit Some of the Most Difficult-to-Edit DNA-Neuronal DNA" but they haven't developed it, are not currently developing it, and don't even know if development of such a thing is possible. A more accurate preface would be "Scientists develop new method of identifying cellular protein", since that's what the article actually says.

You don't say?

I'm 16 and she's 2 years below me.

And it's a personal project for a contest.

Enjoy the ban, come back in two instead of wasting your time here. Trust me on that one.

So you ARE no different to Facebook science groups.
Yes, things in science take time. And you're the kind of faggot who sees a guy playing with a remote control helicopter and claims we're two years away from hovercars. You don't understand how science progresses, and you're just a pop-sci faggot.

Post feet.

Whatever I would snag a weeb gf. Chances are she will at least be feminine compared to all the other cancerous pig women out there.

Yea, I'm gonna filter you now.

the new characters are ass. let it die we don't need another cinderella girls

The future is bright for naval weapons systems

phys.org/news/2014-04-laser-technology-lightning.html

It's an ok summary and a starting point for a journal search. I do it several times a week. Sometimes the claims in the pop science articles are BS, but most of the time they are at least fairly accurate, if overhyped.

765 till I die, faggots.

Holla Forums still doesn't have an age limit.

Holla Forums has inspired me to actually care about this shit, instead of being an hedonistic douche.

Anyway, going back on topic.

If this is correct, we could see a change in industry seen from when most moved from using iron to different steel compounds, though with that change there wasn't much to factor in in changing the amount of materials to counter physics, like gun recoil.

I wonder if it would inspire more new concepts on a commercial scale that would not be viable before due to costs and a lack of demand for titanium on such a large scale.

sciencealert.com/nasa-scientists-are-investigating-a-propulsion-system-that-could-reach-mars-in-3-days

I think the writer doesn't know how light works. Is it supposed to be about ease of sending laser through atmosphere?

DO NOT LINK DIRECTLY TO FUCKING GAWKER MEDIA SITES.

Deadspin – Sports
Gawker.com – New York City media and gossip, tabloid
Gizmodo – Gadget and technology lifestyle
Jalopnik – Cars and automotive culture
Jezebel – Celebrity, Sex, Fashion for women
Kotaku – Video games and East Asian pop culture
Lifehacker – Productivity tips

archive.is/UWHcP

sage

It's pop-sci, they don't understand the core but want to sound educated.
It's just about an increase in range and distance for high-intensity lazers. However the author of the article overestimates the use of the technology, since the idea that you could find a practical way to use these lazers to divert lightning strikes is laughably absurd.

Now this is interesting. We could put satellites around every body in the solar system with this technique. And seed planets/moons with terraforming life too.

We'd need high power lasers in space though. And maintaining line of sight would be a serious concern over unfathomably immense distances.

this should make those nifty little compact camping stoves more affordable

always wanted one but not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a few sheets of titanium

extremetech.com/extreme/226449-nasa-is-designing-a-massive-solar-sail-to-reach-interstellar-space

Check'd.
Man I didn't even think of that.
Backpacking is going to be awesome now.

mining.com/luxembourg-aims-high-with-asteroid-mining-deals/

space engineers when?

Not soon enough!

Lolno
Planting sattelites across our solar system however is intriguing, espeacially titan is an intetesting place.

Besides that, sure you could dump critters like tardigrates or resistant fungi on planets, but that does not seem to be something that would pay out yet, even if it only be in the hopes of having created an ecosystem rivaleing that of earth in 40million years after seeding some rock in alpha centauri..

This.
It's a cool long-term plan, but there's not much we can do right now this instant with biological terraforming.
Maybe we just need to shift our thinking to a longer time-frame for space stuff or something.

DU is a beast of a round, but dear god they should stop using that shit. The reason why there is a "Gulf War Syndrome" is largely due to it and DU armor plating.

Knew a guy that had a member in his squad get deathly ill sitting next to the DU ammo in a Bradley. Ever since then he feared anything other than a Humvee lol.

Is it the DU dust?
Is it not jacketed with anything, or is it just beta/gamma leakage that's the problem?
I don't really know much about military DU munitions.

I'm not sure tbh. I was in an Airborne unit when he was Mechanized. Pretty sure it's a solid penetrator round, but as far as leakage goes I think there is a lot, which is what caused so many illnesses in the Gulf War. It's one of the reasons why the military refused to acknowledge the syndrome and continue to do so, mostly blaming other shit (like burning crap) because then they'd have to stop using the round and face massive lawsuits.

I think it is the dust though like you said because from what I heard it's particles that get inside the body and fuck you up.

Huh, I should really read up on the use of DU more.

Barrels of titanium?

What titanium compounds would make that viable?

That would be like making your barrel out of lead.

Barrel needs to be much harder than your bullet.

Also, bullets don't need to be hard unless you are trying to defeat heavy duty body armor or armored vehicles.

Could probably just jacket it in lead or copper if that is what you want to do.

I thought titanium was harder than steel

Depends on it's configuration, but in general, it's slightly stronger in most cases.
Hardness and toughness are a hard balance, in any metal.

Yes, that is why a steel barrel would only last for a couple dozen rounds.

A titanium one might last for a couple hundred. You'd need something exotic like tungsten for the barrel if you want to shoot a super hard bullet, unless you jacket it.

Y'ALL NEED CULTURAL ENRICHMENT

Cry more, kike.

im just talking about have a super light barrel made out of titanium shooting lead or copper jacket bullets

the barrel is generally the heaviest part of a gun

That sounds entirely possible to me, but I'm no barrel-maker.

most zeon suits used a steel or titanium alloy

also Luna titanium was expensive to produce because it could only be refined in zero G environs

popularmechanics.com/technology/news/a13919/new-steel-alloy-titanium/

I don't see what the issue is

Additive manufacturing will never replace subtractive manufacturing.

Both have upsides and downsides. Additive will never replace subtractive.

hoping this means lighter, stronger bicycles.

Then yes.

True, but there's a lot of things that used to be strait up impossible with additive techniques, that aren't now.
Biomaterials, for example. We can't subtract flesh.

"Think of two airplanes flying together, a small fighter jet accompanied by a large tanker," said Maik Scheller, an assistant research professor in the UA College of Optical Sciences, who led the experimental work leading to the publication. "Just like the large plane refuels the fighter jet in flight and greatly extends its range, our primary, high-intensity laser pulse is accompanied by a second laser pulse – the "dress" beam – which provides a constant energy supply to compensate for the energy loss of the primary laser beam as it travels farther from its source."

Read more at: phys.org/news/2014-04-laser-technology-lightning.html#jCp

The weight of the barrel also helps control recoil, a lighter gun will come off target far more than a heavier one. Try shooting a pistol that's mostly polymer vs one that's all metal. Even in the same caliber, the polymer pistol will have more felt recoil because of it's lower inertia.

i meant cartridge, not caliber

Never trust promises, m8. A lot of pop-sci relies on the notion that "WE ARE SO CLOSE TO GETTING IT HAPPEN" as if that suddenly means it will happen. I can say that I "almost" got first place in a race all I want but that won't make me any better at running. A lot of the research in the articles hosted on pop-sci sites end dead in their tracks, given you assume any of the made-up shit was even real and not just the author stretching the researchers' words as much as physically possible.

It's the same recoil force, it's just has less mass for the force to effect.

I thought titanium was brittle as shit?

Enjoy becoming a feminist.

It's happening in Europe right now.

No, it;s softer and weaker than most steel alloys, but it has a better strength to weight ratio.

Wow, a story about an advance in technology that actually sounds useful and not decades down the line. Extremely rare

She'll be easy to mold.

This metal has been around for years, i remember reading an article on it around 2013
Its essentially a high entropy alloy, which is an alloy that has 5 or more primary metals (people argue you can have less), Its not ;like traditional alloys due which usually have a single primary
The primaries, if i remember correctly, are between 5% and 35% atomic weight ore something
Fuck if i can remember
Anyway its expensive and hard to produce
Not to mention it contains scandium which is expensive as all hell
I cant see this material being used massively, however for top end products this stuff might be necessary

If so you'll be waiting for a while, the materials are expensive, the machines used to make the alloy are expensive and the technical skills needed to make it are expensive
It will likely not something someone can buy, but I hear they've been trying to replace the scandium in it, which would significantly lower the price

Probably not going to happen, unless it's a kinetic penetrator for a tanks cannon.

Unless the guns barrel is made from something even tougher, it will shred the rifling.

NO wait fuck
i mixed it up with a different article i was reading
linkedin.com/pulse/new-magnesium-alloy-worlds-strongest-lightest-metal-sahit-muja
Fuck

As cool as easier titanium production is, it's still a bitch to machine.

It's DU dust. DU is what's called a "self sharpening" projectile, meaning that unlike other bullet materials, when coming in contact with the air, little bits of it are flecked off, allowing it to maintain it's pointy shape in the face of air resistance.

It is, but it's also a bitch to machine. it's hard enough trying to bore a hole deep enough for a gun that it requires a 40k+ specialized cnc lathe to manage it, now imagine doing it in a material that's even harder to cut into.

I read about this a while ago, I think it was back when /ironman/ was a thing. I'm waiting for it to be something that exists and can be purchased.

that was pretty much high schools animu club (didn't go, saw the yearbook photos)
damn shame though, the petite qt was a jew

OP IS A KIKE.