Mechanical pencil thread

Hello Holla Forums I am looking for a high quality and reliable mechanical pencil.

The purpose is purely autistic as I find it is easier to study and do tests if you use the same pencil for all your school work. I found this accidentally when I used one shitty dollar store mechanical pencil for all my math through highschool. I grew attached to this pencil and could never do math the same way again. Basically I want to invest in one expensive mechanical pencil that wont let me down half way into a math test by breaking. Show me what you got.

And yes mechanical pencils are technology.

Other urls found in this thread:

jetpens.com/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Mechanical-Pencils/ct/669
amazon.com/Ultra-Ballpoint-Refills-Medium-2-Pack/dp/B00006IE5W
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I just use some generic Lamy pencil for pretty much everything. Taking notes, drawing, exams, etc. Still perfectly fine after a few years except for 2 small scorch-marks from when it accidentally rolled against and shorted a laptop battery I took apart. Got pretty warm lol.

Papermate PhD multi. It's a pen, it's a pencil, and it's a stylus. The best pencil you will ever use

Wood pencils are the best because they last longer and don't break as easily

zebras are nice but the erasers are shit and you'd need a standalone one.

0.5mm master race. 0.7mm is for animals and barbarians.

No fancy metal but I always used to love these. They easily last a few years and have a replaceable twist-out eraser.

Used this for about 4 years so far and no issues

The Kuru Toga is good for taking notes. I've used it for integral calculus problems. I bought a cheap one from Amazon though, so if you want the better quality ones, JetPens has some.

jetpens.com/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Mechanical-Pencils/ct/669

The only thing that might be bad would be the top eraser.

Finding that perfect mechanical pencil has always been a huge frustration for me.

Ever since they replaced Techniclicks with less ergonomic crap more prone to wear I've been in pencil limbo. Having the button at the bottom and without a rubber grip is best. Do I really have to invest in a 3D printer to get the kind of pencil I want again?

Those multi-writing tools are always a joke because the internals tend to not last that long and once your pen component runs out of ink good luck replacing it.

It's "replaceable" as long they keep making replaceable eraser chunks in the perfect size you need, which is never long enough. Better to just stick with a dedicated eraser.

I honestly don't know why manufacturers even bother with those shitty little nubs on most mechanical pencils. My erasers only ever function as lead stopgaps.

Seriously though Holla Forums, the mechanical pencil market is going to be one of the first consumables destroyed when 3D printing really picks up and people settle on the perfect open source pencil design. The only reason the market even exists now is because manufacturers intentionally make suboptimal crap.

I've had mine since I was in jr high which is over a decade ago. Still works fine to this day.

Wrong again. It is very easy to replace the ink amazon.com/Ultra-Ballpoint-Refills-Medium-2-Pack/dp/B00006IE5W

zebra color flight (0.3mm) and pentel p205 (0.5mm).

Pencils are for absolute plebs. Real mean strike their errors out and continue working.

Real men don't make mistakes.

So they have no need to write in pencil.

Idk man, I used to really dig those shitty plastic ones with a transparent case and opaque core. My buddy and I used to make hilarious drawings in highschool with these.

Pencils are for mathematicians and children. Adults use pens. If I got caught writing test results in pencil I'd be fired with the quickness.

God, the memories. Those were the ubiquitous mech. pencil back in the day.

They still are

I've had mine since Jr. High as well which is a miracle since nogooders have had consistent attempts at stealing my pen throughout the years.

as are wheelbarrows and dildos

go fuck yourself

with a wheelbarrow?

Hello /g/

Holy.

Fucking.

Hive mind.

I just bought 15 mechanical pencils, no idea why. I hadn't bought a mechanical pencil for literally a decade.

Then I come on here and find this thread.

Then pen I'm using now: rOtring 600 0.5mm

I use a Rotring Rapid Pro occasionally, I think it's a nice pencil

I'm thinking about getting this one but I had second thoughts because of the retractable lead sleeve. Is it as nice as a fixed lead?

I have the Roulette model of this, and the rotating mechanism is godly. Writing consistently without the lead-point scraping is great. Only issue is that the erasers last about a week, and the internals are hard to disassemble without breaking shit.

Also they are simplest. Who needs all internal bullshit? Only carbon with wood for handling.
Simple desgin that survived ages because of reliability. Mechanical is shit.
Only in space where graphite can fuck components it's needed.

Already exists, is called pencil.
Cheap, simple, reliable.
Nothing better and more open source.
You can make it with wood and charcoal (more wood).
Of course, no eraser either.
I use pen because of more readability, but pencil is good substitute, the other day I used pencil.

You clearly aren't an artist, or someone who writes traditionally very often. Regular pencils are shit that goes blunt too quickly, and ordinary mechanical pencils have weak led that snaps too often. Something like a drafting pencil is far superior.

nice

I need a good mechanical pencil for reasons, what is the best, money being no object?

.7mm seems too big, .5mm seems just right... any folks out there using sizes under. 5mm?

with a wheelbarrow full of dildos

Superior for faggots. Apart from artistry faggotry, writing is easy with pencil. Pen too.

>led

Anything less than 0.5mm is too thin.
Anything greater than 0.5mm is too thick.

0.5mm is honestly the only caliber of lead worth writing in. 0.3 snaps far too easily and 0.7 writes far too sloppily and wears quickly, leaves excess graphite, and is just generally unpleasant to write with. 0.5mm gives the perfect level of precision while remaining brittle enough to have a sharp writing tip throughout the entire write cycle.

I've used a 0.3mm to draw.

see here

0.3mm tip breaks easy, if you don't want it to break, you gotta expose only a tiny bit of it to get good results. 0.3 is good for lighter shading. 0.5mm has more shading range I feel, and better lead strength, unless you're using colored leads, which is basically like using a tiny lipstick -breaks often. I prefer 0.3 personally.

pic is the one I wanna try next, supposedly it uses a system that stabilizes the 0.2mm so it prevents lead breaking

do you find that only having a tiny amount of lead to start with has you using it quickly and then scratching your paper up with the metal edges of the nozzle, for a lack of a better term?

no, it works fine

This, technology is botnet and for filthy normies.