It's Sonic's 25th birthday. Let's have an Archie Sonic thread!

It's Sonic's 25th birthday. Let's have an Archie Sonic thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

humblebundle.com/books/sonic-comics-bundle
en.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-super-special/07/
sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Ken_Penders'_legal_cases
kenpenders.com/forums/index.php
twitter.com/KenPenders/status/565796920010891265
bumbleking.com/fandom/lost-hedgehog-tales/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Humble Bundle is having a comic sale if anyone gives a shit. Pretty much everything since the reboot for $15.
humblebundle.com/books/sonic-comics-bundle

Is it good? I couldn't read it after the ken penders reboot.

It's still good.

I'll have to try it then. I couldn't stand the reboot and the direction they took with it didn't help either (lets try to be more like the games that are infamous for terrible story)

You'll love the Egg Bosses.

Kinda funny that the reboot almost completely replaced the villains of the comic, and consolidated the rest.

Also, pretty sure the whole 'Mobius is future post-apoc earth' thing is out the window.

Why can't they get Ian Flynn to write the games? Do they still have the Happy Tree Friends guys?

Sega like to pretend the Archie comics don't exist. In fact, this whole fuckery with Penders nearly cost Archie the Sonic licence.

I'm still trying to find out where this series of panels comes from.

I believe it was from a crossover written by Penders. Can't remember what series it was crossing over with.

It's from Sonic Super Special #7, the Image Comics crossover.
en.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-super-special/07/

The only Sonic comic I like is that one where Sally gets brutally raped by her creepily obsessive brother.

I'll try and put this up on /storytime in a bit

fuck it its going on the /co vola

Not surprising with how absolutely retarded and lame Sega's official canon is.

It's better than Star Trek Knuckles

alrighty its up on the vola

holy fuck they actually made dark shadow the oc

>I am ECLIPSE The Darkling.

Even in the reboot Ant still gets cucked.

He's still with Bunnie, though, right?

I think they make fun of him for being edgy in the comic, but I don't remember for sure.

yeah he ends up being some big softie, which is kinda a relief

I miss the comic before the reboot. The book is so boring now.

I think because SEGA's actually paying attention to what the comic does, they're trying not to do anything too crazy that might piss them off.

That thing looks like a Klonoa character. Did anyone read the official Klonoa webcomic by the way? Heard it was decent.

The shiftylook one? It was alright, i recommend the bravoman and katamari comics though. I've played neither of those games but those comics were fantastic

Damn you to hell Ken Penders.

That's the moment I dropped it.

You missed out.

While it's kinda hard to avoid the trappings, the comics never really took Shadow and his assorted angst seriously in the least, and aren't starting now. Rouge mocks him constantly and Omega is hilarious, and Shadow turns out to be kind of a dork.

Hell, they made SILVER interesting by having him be a dorky luckless time traveller in way over his head.

But that was already true BEFORE the reboot. I mean cmon, Hedgehog Madness man.

That's something I always liked about the comics- they don't take the characters too seriously and do a good job of making even the most insufferable game characters interesting. At least with the modern comics. Not so much for the Penders era.

Actually as far as i know, most of the villains are still there. In fact, I can't think of any that got cut, except scourge the greenhog.

Scourge, Mammoth Mogul (though he was written out earlier anyway), possibly the Iron Queen and relateds… I think Enerjak was gone earlier in the Pendering. A pity, Scourge's prison arc in Sonic Universe was fun. Breezie is pretty much Mammoth Mogul's role with a touch of Scourge. And Ixis Naugus seems to have been changed up.

They had to get rid of any character who isn't from the games, SatAM (even OVA characters are over the line apparently, because Sega is weird and lazy with copyright) or made by Flynn. I don't think they're even allowed to use alternate universes either. (since friggin Penders apparently laid claim to the idea of 'Evil mirror universe Sonic') Besides Blaze's world at least.

Also, Sega apparently throws a fucking fit if they even allude to Eggman Nega, for some reason.

Flynn had to argue to even keep the SatAM characters in, since SEGA wanted to clear it of all the OCs, even the decent ones.

I think Penders also tried to say he thought of an alternate universe Eggman first, which is why they don't use Eggman Nega.

huh i forgot about those characters. A shame, scourge and iron queen still could go through some development i think, enerjak was pretty much played out and mogul never really did anything fun to read about anyway, except titan tails 99/10

Who the fuck are you and why are you ripping off my look?

I don't get it :(

Maybe the artist was just inspired by PK?

I've been doing some reading up on the Pendering. sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Ken_Penders'_legal_cases

Some fun facts:
-Sonic is not allowed to “lose”. He can be 'put down' and experience hardship but is not allowed to completely 'fail'

-Sonic is not allowed to show excessive emotion (pic related is an example retcon)

-pre-pendering Knuckes had a half brother named Kneecaps Mace

-the planet isn't allowed to be called mobius anymore

-Even with the 'one metal sonic rule', pirate metal sonic still exists? And Shard isn't on the list for cut characters.

-Even OC's not made by Penders have been retconned, like karl boller's mina mongoose

-Penders has a forum discussing his work that can be accessed here: kenpenders.com/forums/index.php

I know I'm gunna make an account

It was called Mobius in the games.

/r/ obligatory edgehog

No it wasn't. Sonic's always lived on Earth, the idea to call his planet Mobius came from a mis-translation of an interview with Yuji Naka in which he talked about Möbius strips being the inspiration for some of the loops in Sonic 2

It's amazing that the comic is as interesting as it is if Sonic can't completely fail or lose.

Shard's problem is because Penders did the issue when they introduced the Power Gem. So, while he only wrote one issue with the original Metal Sonic, it was enough for them to drop him from the book.

Ian has said on twitter that SEGA was fine with him being Mecha Sonic rather than Metal Sonic and that was actually reflected in his last few appearances. How they let Capt Metal by, I don't know.

What's worse is them trying to force that "canon" into the comics. That alone made me loose interest after the penders holocaust and reboot. That and I was so invested in the story before. Reading it just makes me pissed off.

I'm slightly dissapointed that Ian flynns own comic never went anywhere. The guy has to go through writers hell and doesn't give a single fuck. I can't help but respect him.

God fucking Christ on a bicycle. Ken penders is such a waste of life. goddamn this cover shit hurt me to look at. i mean it in a literal fashion i was pained by this. its hurts so fucking much to see. i cringed harder then i ever have in my entire fucking life because of this garbage.

What did he do? I hear bits and snippets of how he fucked up the Archie sonic comics but not the full kabang.

that's becauase the full kabang is unbelievably convoluted and confusing.

To better to learn it then my dear.

Off the top of my head:
I know there's more than that, but that's just what I remember.

What a shit

I heard someone say Ken Penders!

I came as quickly as I could.

What the hell. Is this real life? He really did that?

Yes.
Someone should post that 3D art of that female echidna. Shit looked like something out of my nightmares.

I don't remember the names, but basically,

One of the other Archie artists/writers got set up a meeting with Sega of Japan to talk about a possible sonic movie.
Penders overheard this and decided that he wanted to be the one responsible for the sonic movie. He put together that masterpiece, rescheduled the meeting without the other Archie Writer's knowledge, and showed the bigwigs that.

And that's why there hasn't been an American sonic movie in the past 25 years.

Stranger then the producers.

We havent seen the last of him yet either

He said on his twitter (dec 2015 i think) that he was going to pursue legal action again bc Ian tried to talk about where he was gunna go with the old universe.

Also he's contacting a bunch of older writers to try and buy their characters to use in his shitty stories

I remember Ian mentioning that. Did he ever do that in the end?

I was interested in where the plot was going.

twitter.com/KenPenders/status/565796920010891265

Read some of the comments, would screenshot but im on mobile right now

What is the source of that comic?

Not really sure sorry, cant find anything on it

Fuck it this is golden

He's made one chapter of LHT so far where he talks about his plans up until before 250. I don't think he's cancelled the rest, but considering how long it took him to release just one chapter I doubt it'll be finished any time soon.

bumbleking.com/fandom/lost-hedgehog-tales/

Tyson Hesse.

Creator of Boxer Hockey, which is one of my favorite webcomics, and Nipples the Enchilada.

He's going to be an artist on Archie's newest Sonic comic.

Fucking hell Tyson shows up everywhere. I had no idea he did that comic. Pretty ballsy to let him work on the comic with him mocking penders like that. Though sonics overall been based as fuck lately in embracing its absurdity.
He made Diesal too didn't he? I need to read that shit.

I don't think Archie really cares if they piss Penders off so long as he doesn't make up some shit to sue them with for it.

So Phage is Wuya?

You forgot the reason Penders sued Archie in the first place.

Penders wanted to sue Bioware for including story-elements from the Archie comics he worked on in their game "Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood". It's only when he attempted to sue did he find out he didn't have legal ownership of the characters he made for Archie that he decided to sue Archie for the rights.

Please tell me he wasted all money on it and died on the streets as a crack-whore.

So a comic writer who wrote for an already existing IP didn't know that he didn't actually own any of the rights to the characters he created for said IP.

Funny enough the Bioware game was OK and well recieved enough for a sequel.

Penders: The Abortion that Lived!

I-is there really a god?

I bet you're one of those guys who reports streams to the authorities to be taken down, too.

They did rip some ideas for the echidna shit in the game from the comics, but Penders is still an idiot to think he would win if he sued Bioware/EA over it.

Game itself was okay, had awful music, though. And it's probably better that it didn't get a sequel considering how awful Bioware has become.

No it wasn't. The game was fuckin awful.

"Man those comics are so good, the games should have elements from them!"
It happens
Get Pendered

You're comparing yourself to me? Hah! You're not even good enough to be my fake.

He did and didn't think it was important. I think he won his suit, or settlement or whatever, because Archie actually lost copies of their contracts with him. It very nearly cost Archie the Sonic licence, you're not actually supposed to let shit like this happen and Sega were contemplating yanking the licence because they didn't want to deal with this shit.

I'll make you eat those words

The battle system was so flawed that it was borderline unplayable. In fact, I ended up ragequitting because of an underwater section where your specials got disabled and the meter for it turned into a "breath" meter, since I blew through most of the game relying on special attacks since standard attacks did jack shit.

Oh yeah, weren't the contracts "lost" by some intern after a warehouse fire or something? And Archie could produce notarized copies of them, but the judge insisted on seeing the originals because Penders claimed they were forgeries or something. He knew exactly what he was doing.

I couln'd get past the bit where you go into eggmans lair and you have to fight robots that FUCKING REVIVE THEMSELVES! That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever fucking seen, at it was near the start of the game. Perhaps I need to do more random encounters but that's just fucking terrible design in my opinion. fuck that.

cunts

Also I think because of the suit Archie stopped releasing the classic stories in trades and just skipped to the current stuff.

So yeah, anybody who wanted a complete Archie Sonic collection in trades got fucked over by Penders and his retarded lawsuit and I'm pretty sure most of those trades are out of print, I know you can still get them digitally though.