Superhumans Without Capeshit

Are there any settings that have superpowered individuals but no capefaggotry? Worm seems like a more well-thought out cape setting since it didn't start as a superhero franchise in the 1940s-60s with all that baggage, but…

I'd like to see something where superhumans are more integrated instead of being alternatively independent "superheroes" or "supervillains". Or at the very least, ones where "supervillains" are treated the same way, or with even more prejudice than how we deal with terrorists IRL. None of that "no killing" nonsense for them, especially in a country like America.

pic unrelated

Did "Heroes" got an official comic?

So it could have stories with aliens, mythology, magic, mad science, and so.

I don't think so.

Yeah.

BTW I don't mean to knock capeshit. It's just that I have grievances with it (or at least the more mainstream ones like DC/Marvel, which started as comic series for kids/teens), but I do like the idea of people with superpowers. I don't want to read about guys in colorful spandex using non-lethal force to arrest people trying to pull off stunts as big as 9/11, or serial killers who get locked up in prison only to keep_getting_out.

I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys capeshit. It's just not my cup of tea.

What you're looking for is hard science fiction exploring themes of transhumanism. Most of it isn't going to have lots of small print with no pictures.

nice chips

Mea culpa. That is an impressively egregious grammar error.

Can't wait for that one user who gets triggered at the term "capeshit" to show up and be super buttmad.

There are a lot of anime.

So you get your kiddie grade stuff:
Some basic shonen shit.
I feel there should be a genre called
Because it is basically what a plethora of kiddie to teenager anime boil down to.
Deathgames and the like.

With a lot of superhuman anime you often get a nice homogeneous aspect to superhuman abilities.
Everything is
or
or
At those points you can pretty much say the cardinal nerd shit genre of either
or

Considering your preference I recommend Zettai Karen Children or Zettai Karen Children The Unlimited.

Some people are psychic, but how they are psychic is different and how powerful they are.
3 little girls are extremely powerful and employed by the government to take down less powerful ESPers.
One girl is psychokenetic, one teleports and the last is psychometric (profiling).
Loli undertones.

Manglobe before they went out of business made a spin-off called Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited about the main antagonist who is basically a (visually) young Magneto with general psychokinesis.
Slightly homoerotic undertones.

It is basically like the difference between Gate Keepers and Gate Keepers 21 in terms of general tone aka kid friendly to less kid friendly.
Gate Keepers also an anime about government funded organization employing kids to fight, but in that one they fight alien invaders, setting is the late 60s.

Speaking of Manglobe they also made Gangsta that is about like a fake Italian-esk country that used chem warriors during a war and now they and their offspring are sort of treated as 2nd class citizens, require chems to survive, have innate graded abilities and many are employed by mobsters and PMCs.

They're are quite a few anime that would fit your bill.

Uber.

Superhumans being engineered and saving Germany's ass in WWII means the war gets a lot worse with a new arms race.

Add Darker than Black to the list.

One Punch Man?

worm had supers that were not heroes or villains, like canary being a singer until wrongful imprisonment or parian before everything went to shit.

if you want a story actually ABOUT these people though instead of just including them… well honestly that sounds boring as hell and I dont know if anyone has written it.

if you just want super people with less of a spandex and non-lethal feel then shonen anime might be your cup of tea, usually most people in the setting have access to some sort of magical power that will be called different things depending on the show and they se it in different ways that end up resembling super powers

While a boring idea, I could get behind a slice of life comedy super show that uses some elements from anime like Nichijou, Non Non Biyori, and I can't understand what my husband is saying.

So maybe it'd take place in a town where both normals and supers live. It's a rural area in the Midwest with many kid and adult supers.

Like, what if Lex Luther is like a seven year old boy who is kinda hyperactive and Superboy is much older and behaves like a brother figure to him. Meanwhile Batman never lost his parents, but he became Batman because a bully called him "mean names" and stole his ice cream.

Or Wonder Woman is at the clothing store and she doesn't know what to wear for her date with Green Lantern. Or maybe a gag with Flash trying to actually do something slowly.

Like I said, boring idea, but it'd be comfy to just see everyday life with super powers without the constant fighting for the world. Fuck, Power Girl could have an embarrassing moment while working at the local store, she thinks everyone is staring at her cleavage window, but it turns out she was wrong, every guy is staring at her nipples popping up from working in a cold freezer.

What does 'Capeshit' even mean you missed abortion?

Worm is shit, fam.

fuck off

There he is

So, you're looking for a setting where superpowers exist, but there's no system in place treating them as special?

If you're willing to go outside of your comfort zone, then I'd recommend Toriko. I know it's shonen, but based on what you've described to me, it seems like it would be in your ballpark. It builds a setting based around people with superpowers, but they're not treated with a "superhero" or a "supervillain" category. There's a lot of worldbuilding involved in regards to this.

Plus, it's one hell of a ride.

Worm is still a setting where people play cops and robbers in colorful spandex. It handles itself better than other "capeshit" settings, but not a whole lot better IMO.

Superhero settings you turbo autist.

I"ll check it out. And yeah, people with superpowers without it being "superheroes in colorful spandex fighting supervillains in slightly edgier colorful spandex". One with a more coherent setting too. If superpowers appear in say WW2, then the world shouldn't be almost exactly the same as ours.

Big one right now would be Chew. Full of people with food-related superpowers, but they're cops or cultists or just regular people making a living off of their particular skill. No capes.

Off the top of my head there's Chew,where everyone's super-powers are food-based or have something to do with eating and there are no super-heroes or super-villains,just good and bad super-powered individuals in a weird world.

All Super heroes, or specifically ones who wear silly costums? Is Swamp Thing a capeshit?

>that part with the Dying message through his sister's toe
I can't handle these fucking feels.

Gunnerkrigg Court?

AKA Gunnershit Fail.

I mean, it has TEENAGE LESBIAAAAAANS, but that was so much pressure it was fucking silly about that. YsengrinXAnnie also MIGHT happen (basically a substitute dad, Annie reeks of Father-Complex.), and would probably trigger the degeneracy sensor of people even more what with Ysengrin being old as fuck and a furry.

But basically the entirety of the cast is super human/non-human with the idea that it is a human "Normal" world outside only never getting that much attention.

It is mostly just "Nature/Magic/Chaos VS Society/Science/Order" crap though.

And it falls under the "Magic School" Genre, but it does seem to do some segregation themes between different "non-humans" though.

What does 'Superhero settings' even mean you missed abortion?

Spriggan was a well done anime film about superhumans and Christianity. Weak in writing, but it's still well-drawn and choreographed.

Where do you come from to use "missed abortion" as an insult? Reddit? Tumblr? How do you not know what a superhero setting is? Even an actual retard would know what I mean. Are you intentionally being difficult because you're #triggered I typed out "capeshit" or do you sincerely not know what I mean?

I'd say capeshit refers to silly costumes, but I'm broadening it to include the cops and robbers thing where supervillains aren't treated like terrorists or even (armed) criminals. It's especially dumb for the latter to fly down in America.

I think Worm went in the right direction, though they still had that same unreasonable stance on lethal force for the most part. Not as bad as DC (where Superman will only kill if say, it's literally a choice between that or all of mankind dying) or Marvel, but still pretty bad.

Thanks. I"ll check it out.

its on /storytime, really great comic

I don't think anybody can really write a story involving superhumans without invoking some cape cliches in some form. Even the edgy stuff has its fair share of them.

You might as well ask for general sci-fi and fantasy recommendations, OP

Even the 'edgy' stuff doesn't treat supervillains with the gravity they're warranted? Even the edgy ones have Earth be almost exactly the same as ours despite a point of divergence that was decades ago, and a shit ton of mad scientists?

I can kinda accept silly costumes, but those two things break my suspension of disbelief. I know DC comics & Marvel are the way they are for reasons, which is why I didn't bother asking about them.