Read Only Storage tech

Let's discuss Read-Only Long Term Storage tech. Currently, are there any other than CD/DVD-ROMs, as these things are getting extinct?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B009KXE4VO
rbt.asia/g/thread/S54747690#p54754019
ollydbg.de/Paperbak/
dntb.ro/users/frdbuc/hyper-cdrom/hyper.htm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_CD-ROM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_dark_age
amazon.com/Corsair-Flash-Voyager-256GB-Drive/dp/B00S89FKLO
myce.com/news/10000-GB-can-be-stored-on-one-Hyper-CD-ROM-6774/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There's very little, we're going to be losing a lot of information over the coming years

amazon.com/dp/B009KXE4VO
1.25TB for $30

It would take at least 12 hours to write all of it though

There's m-discs but I've never used them

Which disc that have botnet in it?

none, you fucking moron

How hard would it be to put multiple Bluray discs in a RAID configuration?

Ask facebook

No one ever tried the m-discs I would like some feedback before doing shit.

No one ever tried the m-discs ? I would like some feedback before doing shit.

Then why Stallman said that he discourage user to use optical storage for distribution of software? I also read an article not long ago that there are cd/dvd writer that write a tiny malicious code every time you burn an empty disc.

I've used the dvd and bdxl m-discs. They function as expected. Reading them from any drive is fine, but writing is not. Accidentally put one in an old drive which isn't officially compatible when writing it, it partially worked but had errors.

Tried puppy linux on a dvd m-disc without a hard disk install. Seemed to run better than off of the others I used, but that may be because most of those were rewritables.

Are you the dude from the sticky that asked about M-discs?

rbt.asia/g/thread/S54747690#p54754019

TL;DR pick HTL BD-Rs

Got a source on that? Google turned nothing up

If you don't stratch them they'll last forever.

Not all of them. See

Paperbak needs to be revived. It wouldn't handle multimedia, but certainly a text archive of sizable volume can be saved to several sheets of paper.

only 12 hours?

it took me 4 and a half at least to copy 250 gigs between 2 USB3 drives

those obnoxious aliens

it's called a book

Disregarding the incomprehensible fucking stupidity of the question asker for a minute, the Blu-Ray format does mandate Java

Because Stallmeme is a fucking retard. He doesn't even know how to install the operating system he shills so much.

It's called efficency
ollydbg.de/Paperbak/

dntb.ro/users/frdbuc/hyper-cdrom/hyper.htm

apex tech

Capacity: 10TB with extension to 100TB
Average data-transfer rate: 3Mb/s
Dimensions of CD-ROM-Drive: 80x150x300mm
Dimensions of CD-ROM: 10xø120mm
Thermic resistance: up to 550 deg. Celsius
Very high fiability
Stable in time (estimated to at least 5,000 years)

I'm assuming that is planned. There really isn't shit for consumers other than being really diligent about backups and replacing media.

So using the whole thing takes more than ten months?

Encrypt and upload to USENET. Shit will probably still be there in 60 years.

standard data transfer =/= maximum data transfer

Seriously, even if it took 3 months, you'd have the data available up to 5,000 years into the future.. 3 months is shit.

That would be pretty neat if it wasn't a cold-fusion-tier scam and actually existed!

and it does.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_CD-ROM

I'm surprised nobodys mentioned tape, especially WORM (write once read many). Tape is not dead, but saddly the drives are stupid expensive, even used. Tape itself is very affordable, though not the same level as BD. However tape, LTO standard for example, is rated for 30 years archived (provided you still have a tape drive you can use to read it). Tape does not suffer from disk rot, which is a real thing and you can't trust an archive written to optical disk to be readable when you need it.

Go on, show me where I can buy a drive and media from...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_dark_age

use loo

That pertains more to software than physical disk rot. The so-called "digital dark ages" is mitigated by software design standards such as POSIX, which every major OS has some level of compliance with, including Windows. It is very easy to imagine, for example, that in the next thousand years, assuming mankind doesn't blow itself up, that we will still be using software compatible with *nix. Perhaps Linux will still be around. Perhaps Windows will eventually merge as a *nix subsystem for legacy applications. Or perhaps Windows itself will continue to exist one way or another. No doubt though that the constantly evolving nature with an emphasis on establishing and complying with technical standards that is Linux will ensure its continued existence

I really, really hope we'll finally have gotten rid of Unix compatibility a thousand years from now. Even Unix's creators started seeing it as a plague long ago.

I do think that Linux and Windows will still be available because they're so widespread. There are billions of copies that could be used to preserve it. And as storage capacity grows, preserving them becomes less of a bother.

Portable libre emulators for x86 and a lot of other architectures exist, so as long as their source code is preserved and copies of the C standard are preserved, both of which are reasonable expectations, people will manage to make them useful. C is simple enough that even if no compatible compiler executables are left historians could implement their own compiler.

Linux is going to be around for a while, but I hope it's not going to stay used outside historical interest for a thousand years. A thousand years is far too long to be stuck with the crappy decisions we have to live with today. Linux is good, but it's not perfect, and we will keep discovering better ways to do things over time.

Linux is still an absolute shitshow, BSD is arguably more sane.

We might see a resurgence of lisp machines if something like Urbit ever gets off the ground.

Code has weight though, people will spend 10 million dollars maintaining a code base instead of a million to rewrite it.

They will usually opt to maintain it, but that won't keep happening for a thousand years. It only takes one decision to rewrite it to be rid of it forever.

Maybe, IBM 1401 code wasn't rewritten until the year 2000 and that's because it was hardware encoded with 2 chars as a date.

There might be some 32bit hardware encoded stuff that will need to be rewritten before 203X, but otherwise people might just keep that shit running forever.

That's just 40 years. Even without the date problem it wouldn't be able to keep running for a millennium.

Has anyone ported this to Linux? Sounds like a fun project

40 years but was invented when transistors were still barely a thing.

The only reason people switched was because of a hard limit, if there is no hard limit why switch?

The machine breaking down is a hard limit.

The 1401 software was in a VM.

Ah, right. Still, 1000 years is much longer than 40 years. How much technology in general can you think of that hasn't significantly changed in the past 1000 years? There is plenty that's still essentially the same as 40 years ago.

Those m-disc things are supposed to last 1000 years or something.

amazon.com/Corsair-Flash-Voyager-256GB-Drive/dp/B00S89FKLO

Do m-disc suffer from disk rot?

You would need to get in contact with the manufacturer.

Dr. Eugen Pavel
Calea Mosilor nr.274, ap.34, Bucharest, Romania;
Phone/Fax: 40-1-2118478;
e-mail: [email protected]/* */

I found out about this thing back in 2002 or so, by now something even better may have come online. And that contact info is perhaps outdated. This tech was adopted mostly for military use, but apparently it is available for the civilian market.

myce.com/news/10000-GB-can-be-stored-on-one-Hyper-CD-ROM-6774/

Or rather, militaries seem to have adopted it.