Hi Tech, which distro should i install on my desktop, i have a good machine with ssd, 8 cores, 10 G's of rams...

Hi Tech, which distro should i install on my desktop, i have a good machine with ssd, 8 cores, 10 G's of rams. it should be a system that supports the stupid gaming hardware aka MadCatz (keyboard and mouse), it should also be something that would be functional and looking amazing without days of configuration (please post alternatives that will take that amount of times, just for the lurks).
also New Setup thread

Install Gentoo

thanks

Ignore him, Gentoo is made for science, super computers and autists so it would be very hard for you. Get Xubuntu, it's easy to use, fast and looks great out of the box (also, basically any distro should be able to support your MadCatz stuff).

After a bunch of configuration mine looks like this

i have had painful problems with madcatz on debian, but i found that ubuntu was very adoptive when it comes to shitty hardware made by the manufacturers who don't care about there customers

Well, you should be fine since Xubuntu is basically just Ubuntu with a different window manager and a few different applications.

alright, i would like to get to know gentoo, seems like a good friend. but will probably be back sooner or later with more experience about the adventure, either that good or bad..
will also check back later to see how this thread is going.
cheers

good programs but jewbuntu is botnet
5/10

It's not, they removed the Amazon botnet ages ago and it was never in the non-vanilla Ubuntus (Xubuntu, Kubuntu etc)

Why do you hate youself, user?

It's good enough for me, I'm on a laptop.
I need to be able to move things around and behind one another and not fill the areas between them so I can have parts of one window and parts of another.

Just do the world a favor and kill yourself now.

You forgot to take skype into account, and also the fact that it's a macbook

Arch.

That's one hell of an eyesore.

1366x768 is exactly the reason you should use a tiling wm, though. With your current setup due to the dock and top bar, your effective screen space is 1366x680. It's painfully shit. When I switched from a DE to i3 on my 1366x768 laptop, it made an incredible difference because tiling wms are a lot more effective at using fully utilising screen space.

Tiling wms will let you overlap windows if you want to. i3 does, at least

Gentoo. Definitely doesn't take days to set up. Now if you're talking about learning portage and all that shit, that's a different question.

mein neger

Debian Testing

Especially with this kind of machine. Too bad Portage has become really fucking slow. Should try to run it via pypy.
But in the end, that's the only distros that let's me kiss goodbye to dbus/polkit for good.

There's a running GSOC project to write a portage library in C, so we could see a significant speedup soonish.

I agree with these badbois..
Why do your screenfetches have a different verbosity in the output to mine, though?

Probably different version...(app-misc/screenfetch-2.7.7:0)

I hate to say it, but we kinda look like a bunch of fags.

Too much pink?

Windows 10

or those who want to gain a better appreciation of the underlying workings of their operating system while still having their hands held. i don't mean this in a negative light; compiling the kernel, encrypting my disk, then figuring out initramfs' role in aiding the kernel boot the system with the encrypted disk, manually installing grub (and then setting up userland) while having loads of support to fallback on has added a lot of value to me as a software developer

Now, this, _THIS_ takes ages to setup.

Also, notice how fucked the CPU field is.

Preety fly, my Niagara2.

I like Kubuntu because KDE is the best-looking DE on Loonix and since it's basically Ubuntu you get fast help if you have questions.

OpenSUSE is nice too.

Don't fall for the Fedora (muh bleeding edge), Debian (ancient software) or Gentoo meme.

S T I C K Y

OP is back!
i ended up installing ubuntu mate 16.04 on raspberry pi 2, and will probably miss around with it for a bit before installing something on my big machine. i thought about overclocking it but does it really need a heat sink or a fan to keep it safe?