AMDGPU

Are GNU/Linux users forced to use Nvidia for graphics performance that is equal to or better than NSA/Windows, or did AMD finally catch up with Nvidia with their proprietary driver?

Other urls found in this thread:

codeproject.com/Articles/10330/A-simple-IOCP-Server-Client-Class
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Linux will never outperform Windows, its design choices were centered around portability, not speed, you can't have both, or rather, you can't build an OS/Kernel in C and millions of bloated high-level libraries to facilitate hand-holding or developer welfare and expect it to have decent performance

That's probably why MS Windows is used on supercomputers, right? Or on rendering farms? I'll give you 6/10, was bored.

Yes, that's why everyone uses Windows for servers.

Just kidding, you're full of shit.

Because Windows was really optimized for speed.

Why do games (that are actually coded well) perform better on GNU/Linux than Windows when using the proprietary Nvidia drivers?

Easy, because Linux is open source, so devs can spend time stripping it down into some embedded RTOS, it doesn't have much to do with speed, just practicality

Again, more to do with Linux being FOSS, thus reducing maintenance costs, the money saved can then be put into more expensive hardware to make up for its slowness

Yes it was, take the Registry for instance, its a binary configuration database, so its less human readable, but thats not the point, the point was for speed
Why are you literally telling lies?

Now I can't tell if you're b8ing, shilling or genuinely this retarded.

The registry stores all OS config data in a binary database, Linux stores OS config data mainly in /etc/
compare flat file config storage to database system storage like SQL, there's a reason these posts aren't stored as plain text

Windows is a very slow OS, especially for networking. Part of Windows's problem is having to support proprietary drivers. That requires a heavy layer of shit between the core OS and the driver to maintain compatibility that drags performance down.

Windows also has some "the future as envisioned by the '90s" design choices wrt async behavior that they can't easily change due to proprietary drivers so have stuck with. They attempted to do zero copy in the networking stack in places it made no sense and wound up crippling the OS's ability to manage socket buffer memory effectively which means fewer connections can be supported. Setting the socket buffer to 0 and managing it with an overlapped WSARecv means the /userspace/ application has to allocate the maximum "socket buffer" the TCP stack might want to use for the cwnd since the OS can't dynamically resize it as happens in Linux where the buffer is kernelspace (tcp_rmem + autoscaling).

Windows's networking is so shit that almost no one even knows the way you're supposed to do high performance networking on Windows as everyone that needs performance uses Linux. Try to find two tutorials that agree on the method, you can't! You have to know someone in industry.

All of the above.

Also gotta love how nobody is actually answering the fucking question.

You have misspelled NetBSD. In Lunix the drm is usually worse, but everything else is superior to windoze. BTW nice b8, but need more sauce to keep it burn.

Btw, just as an example of what a complete clusterfuck performance networking is on Windows for those of you who have not had the pleasure, read this and think about how insane this is compared to doing similar on Linux and how slow these workarounds are:

codeproject.com/Articles/10330/A-simple-IOCP-Server-Client-Class

AMD Open Source drivers have always been way better than Nvidia for normal computing (glitch-free, tear-free desktop environments, video playback, etc.). My experience with both Noveau and Nvidia Proprietary is that they are extremely glitchy at basic computing.

So your real question is about
In which case, Nvidia proprietary is still better, but I doubt that will be the case for much longer. AMDGPU has the advantage of all of the previous open source stability, with an option of proprietary performance slapped on. In any case, why the fuck would you play gaymes on Linux?

If:
1) You prefer GNU/Linux
2) Your game runs on GNU/Linux
The more obvious question is why not?

Not sure if bait or shilling.

Either way you should drink bleach.

I'm starting to miss 2014

That's not what I said. I said that it doesn't provide any significant speedup.
Being able to read configuration few times faster doesn't make a difference when you only read it once during program startup.

Then why is everything very fast when using it with hardware that isn't shit?

Pic related is you, kill yourself.

Go back to Holla Forums.

Does AMDGPU still have issues when you try to unbind a device from it like the other proprietary drivers from AMD and nVidia did?

I'd give your previous b8posts a 5/10 for at least trying, but this one's so low effort it's not even slightly funny. Time for you to go back to Redmond.

Because you've never tried to push performance as you're a gaymer?

worst trips

Jewntel performance is about equal on GNU/Linux and NSA/Windows, and the drivers are FLOSS, but recent cards started using binary firmware blobs.

BS. Winderps has better drivers, there's nothing inherently wrong with Linux performance. AAA games are optimized IN THE DRIVERS. It's an nonportable mess, but game studios only care about doing well with Winderps

Since this thread is about AMDGPU I might as well post this here.

I installed Steam and TF2 on my Arch install. Everything boots up fine and shit, but when playing there are 10-second lag spikes where the FPS goes down to 1-2. I installed the latest AMDGPU drivers and also compiled mesa from source because someone recommended it to me but it still lags like that. I'm using a Radeon HD 5670 (am poorfag). On Windows it used to lag spike but i think they fixed it (like 6 moths ago, I don't use windows anymore). Any suggestions? I am playing TF2 with low settings.

My friend has Arch and TF2 straight up crashes the machine after about 10 minutes of play. Can't switch ttys or anything. He has a R9 270x and xf86-video-ati.

What was the name of the package you used?

Because Wine is just a better win32 implementation than Windows :^)

and if you truly believe this, you are a complete and utter moron.

ok genius, how is it indexed? As far as I can tell, its literally just a binary file that looks like a tree, pretty much like a filesystem sitting on a filesystem but crap.

Am I supposed to be impressed now?

Why the fuck is he using ATI? use xf86-video-amdgpu for newer cards.