OpenRex

Anyone have an opinion on OpenRex? I've been looking for something to replace my RasPi2.
imx6rex.com/open-rex/

Other urls found in this thread:

parallella.org/2014/06/03/my-name-is-brian-and-i-build-supercomputers-in-my-spare-time/
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sort of a bump for interest, but really there are a ton of single board computers out there now and I have no idea which is best/cheapest/pros/cons.

I do know nobody wants to give RasPi money because they are massive cunts.

way better than a Raspberry, also more expensive

Your board is shit and you should feel bad. I can buy a real computer for that price.

pi 0 is cheapest at $5 if you can get it and you dont mined not really having usb or network

Orange pi comes with all the bells and whistles you expect and it's just $10 or $12 /w with wifi also it has 3 full usb2 hosts, and it has a real ethernet port (rpi shares 1 usb host for ethernet and usb and wifi, and idk maybe sd too because it sucks balls)

Pine 64 is a decent offering at $20 with real gigabit ethernet, people say its linux support is shit though >_<

Still looking for a quad with 4+ gigs of ram, gigabit, and emmc or pcie or real sata that dosent cost too much, idgaf about video or camera or lcd attachments on it.

> >_<
> >_<
> >_<
> >_<
> >_<
> >_<
> >_<
> >_

Also looking for something like this. Ideally, would like to replace my desktop with a SBC with 8GB eventually.

you can buy a refubrished pc for 50 bucks that will have more processing power than any SoC thing

Did I make a mistake buying a beagleboard black recently?

No. I'm sure its not perfect, but if you learn to use it I'm sure you will love it.

No binary blobs?
Can boot without u-boot?

Tell when you have an ARM GPU with a good DRM and mesa implementation (not only OpenGL ES, but OpenGL 4.x).

He doesn't care about this shit, he clearly wants a tiny computer. Stop hassling the guy, maybe he already has a real PC that's a monster?

It's the same chip that's in the Novena, the imx6.

The best SBC for general computer use I know is the Odroid XU4. 2GB RAM, 8 core processor, USB3. It comes with a fan and is loud as fuck, but a company made a passive cooling aluminium case for it. It's a very powerful board, and it's a little bit smaller than a RasPi, but the Linux kernel versions for it are a bit old.
Alternatively there's the Cubietruck, which is the size of 2 RasPis together. It's got VGA, 3.5 inch SATA support, 2GB RAM and a mostly open Allwinner A20 chip (Dual core 1GHz). I use mine as a server and it holds up great.

If you know how to build a PC you could do much better though. Something in the ITX form factor would be about the size of a smaller game console, but you wouldn't have to rely on ARM.

$75, only 2 gigs of ram brb puking.

You're not gonna do a lot of "desktop" things without GPU, tardo.

I bet you do 90% of your desktop things w/o gpu much beyond what a sbc provides.

Jetson TX1?

INCORRECT
parallella.org/2014/06/03/my-name-is-brian-and-i-build-supercomputers-in-my-spare-time/

You can't do any of these things unless you buy an nvidia gtx1080, goy

smhtbqhwy fam

Oh lord...

Even then, it's worse on RPi's, you're compiling on an SD card! Think about that shit!

What is /tmp?

What are read/write lifecycles?

On most distros /tmp is tmpfs meaning it's in RAM and not on disk/eMMC/SD card.

On 1GB of RAM?

Yes. Well 512MB, systemd uses half the RAM for tmpfs. I installed Gentoo on my RPI2 and it's enough for the shit I use, including emacs. But you can forget about compiling the linux kernel or a web browser in RAM.

I don't think you understand what "no acceleration AT ALL" means. I'm talking about the fact these have no free drivers and no mesa support, not just "weak GPU".

Pine64 owner here, the Pine64 is complete shit. They only support android and only left the community to make Linux work on it. No documentation to do anything with it either.
I want my money back so I can buy a RasberryPi 3 or x5 Pi0.

I grew up on computers that had "no acceleration at ALL", so yeah, I do.

>fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
Wait for github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware before considering it.

>github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware
Oh wow, that's a thing. It's obviously very basic, but I wonder if it could already be viable for a headless server. I have an rpi 1 model b I could try this on, there's literally nothing attached to it except power and ethernet.

What is this?

I'm pretty sure you could figure it out by yourself if you actually tried.

Good luck finding even one (other than on ebay where they charge you 5x the cost anyhow)