Warner, Disney, Fox and Sony to keep writing our copyright law and Internet regulation

Disclosure: this is more tech politics than tech per se

torrentfreak.com/mpaa-lobbyist-sopa-sponsor-to-draft-democratic-party-platform-160531/

So this explains why Debbie Wasserman Schultz was such a dick with Larry Lessig during his short-lived presidential campaign. I can imagine under a Shillary administration the copyfags are all going balls deep with another retroactive Sonny-Bono "Micky Mouse" copyright extension act in 2018. They paid to extend copyright on all previous and future works for 20 years in 1998, which means that some really old stuff should finally start entering the public domain after decades of zero increase of the public domain. This reminds me of how fucking valuable the free software and free culture being produced in our own lifetime are.

How do we keep these crooks out of the government?
I can proudly say that, to the best of my knowledge, I sabotage most if not all of the crony corporations in tech and media. Yes, I mostly don't watch and never pay for mainstream movies

Other urls found in this thread:

austrian-library.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/books/Stephan Kinsella/Against Intellectual Property.pdf
twitter.com/lessig/status/740980320967745536
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think considering copyright law has been continuously getting worse over the last 3 and some decades, I don't think the legislative route is going to work. It's already been tried.

Instead, I think what will happen is that people will sidestep the issue of IP entirely through engineering. Namely, if and when an anonymized meshnet becomes popular, how exactly could anyone enforce their IP claims?

Oy vey don't you filthy goyim know g-d's chosen deserve to make shekels on content for over 6 million years after the creator's death?

What if we... wrote to our congressmen?

Radical, I know.

But perhaps if we all voiced our opinions and intentions to vote for whoever pledged to abolish copyright, something would happen. At the least, we would be a consideration this week.

And I do mean "abolish". Copyright is a categorically unacceptable abridgement of your freedom.

No, we need to push it politically and be vocal about it. DRM-ladden computers like the iThings sell like pancakes and average people don't know/don't care what that means. There will be no reverse engineering and no cracking left to be done when everybody is using Netflix, Spotify and Steam. The public is filling the pockets of the people who want to screw cyber-freedom for the sake of their businesses, and they are doing very well creating more tech and more law to pursue their goal. We can't keep overlooking

This. Abolish it. Kill hollywood. I want businessmen to leave. I want this flood of shit called 'entertainment' to stop. Fine arts still exist, all we have to do is get rid of this sea of shit and they will resurface.

Normies won't care because for them it is only a tool to consume media. Nothing more.

Fine arts are fucking boring.

>>>/communism/

It's the big-nosed people again, who would've thought?

I protect myself from this bullshit by not being a mainstream media consuming cuck and obtaining my media from "alternative" sources :^)

pick one and only one.
austrian-library.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/books/Stephan Kinsella/Against Intellectual Property.pdf

the only concern is whether the gov makes meshnet/anonymity networks illegal. in that case you'll be putting your life on the line for your op sec and most cucks will back off instantly

Lul

What if they... threw our letters in the trash?

>>>/gulag/
>>>/gaschamber/

What is Gary Johnson's stance on copyright law? I'd be nice if the Libertarian Party adopted a more Pirate Party -esque instance on copyright and IP but sadly it's still full of neo-libs that haven't been enlightened on the falsehood of intellectual property.

Biggest pain in the ass about copyright law. It is hard to get people to care about the moral implications of copyright when to them piracy is just a means to an end.

Go suck Chris Dodd's dick, you fucking shill.

if the only consequence of this form of "communism" is hollywood dying, than I'm all for it.

>>>/nigger/

No, the real reason nobody gives a shit about copyright is they know jack shit about it.

If normies knew 95% of internet memes, fanart, and fan fiction infringe on copyright (claiming fair use does jack shit; you can still get sued and are infringing for all companies care), it would be abolished overnight.

Fuck you, ideas can't be owned so long as you can't control thoughts. You aren't entitled to copyright, it's a thing we made to protect authors from actors and it's definitely something that needs to be reformed now.

You could also stop spouting pointless rhetoric, it's not really helping your case.

And you have the gall to think you're not on the (((wrong side))) of this?
Do you support a tax on memes as well? After all there can be only so many rare Pepes.

Lessig just threw a punch at Wasserman

twitter.com/lessig/status/740980320967745536