Void Linux Thread

Is Void any good? It comes with runit by default and has a neat looking package manager.

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/VoidLinux/status/738973378774740992
wiki.voidlinux.eu/PulseAudio
wiki.voidlinux.eu/Post_Installation#User_Account
github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/4330
youtube.com/watch?v=hquOIFJU3og
youtube.com/watch?v=ISG_WphoAjo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I love their mascot.

Pretty good. The only fuck up I encountered was the change of firefox to gtk3. But that was mozillas fault. Compared to arch linux where I had to fix shit several times it is stable.

Molded pizza cuck. The package manager didn't dowloaded shit for me. Tried to figure out what's going on, changing mirrors, but no luck.

It looks good, especially since Gentoo doesn't officially supports musl yet. But I don't like too much the "everything on sjwhub" and all the changes when it just tries to be a pre-systemd Arch.

You can always use Icecat, is in their repositories. Also rebuilding a package is easier than Arch.

It doesn't try to be a pre-systemd Arch, the distribution existed already even before Arch made the switch. And before that, it even used systemd.

It was a recent decision to drop all support for systemd and it was a good one.

It is a great distribution, I've been using it for 18 months and I've encountered no problems so far. Maybe my only complaint is that they use Github but I can live with that.

Tell me about it, nothing ever works with this piece of shit but you are not allowed to speak about it.

dhcpcd isn't activated by default when you do a fresh installation. The documentation is pretty bad, so newbies who can't rtfm give up and don't annoy us. It's a good way to learn about runit.

The distro itself is pretty good, as long as you don't mind minimal installs (it doesn't even ship with the ability to zip and unzip files.) The package manager is pretty cool, and I'd love to see it in different distributions. I have two big issues with it. The first is that the installer kind of sucks and a lot of people have had issues with it. The second is that the community is even more intolerable than arch, and has worse documentation. The documentation isn't horrible, but not everything is there and when something does crop up you might have to interact with the users.

Personally, I'm more inclined towards distributions like Slackware current or Devuan (which has a hidden service repository, pretty neat), but void is pretty good at what it does.

So, how bad is the installer?

It's easy to follow, but it fucks up randomly, usually on the partitioning and formatting step. It'll simply refuse to format the partitions.

I'm not sure though. Part of the problem may be that the installer is run from a live session and doesn't require you to be root to start, so maybe they just didn't su before beginning and that helps.

I tried it out about as year ago. The package manager is shit, and the packages are shittier. I had a few broken packages. One didn't even include the executable. It installed all sorts of libraries and config files, but the actual program was nowhere to be found.

Sloppy and amateurish.

Package name and the name of the executable aren't always the same.

Tried it. It shat itself and became a brick like Gentoo did in its firsrt year.

their repos are fucking baren and downloading sources is retarded. the package manager sucks ass too.

Then you don't know how to use and maintain a Linux distro if your computer "becomes a brick" after a year.

If you've ever bricked Gentoo, it's your own fault. Gentoo's basic configuration is incredibly stable (too stable, really. Even their Firefox release is on 38.8 in their stable branch). You'll only fuck it up if you set it up like a retard or you were fucking with it. Even if you're doing tons of customization in testing packages, masked packages, or esoteric use flag configurations, you'll just run into tons of blocks on updating, rather than a brick.

I've only ever bricked my Gentoo system in the 5 years I've been running it when I was trying to migrate to an encrypted root drive and accidentally dd'd the wrong device. Entirely my own fault, and nothing to do with the distro itself.

How? cd /var/abs/$package; makepkg -i isn't hard.

I haven't bothered with the installer since the first time I installed it, which was over a year ago. Just werked for me. Now I install it manually so I can get full drive encryption and it's just like installing Arch - a little harder but fully customizable and won't take you more than a couple hours if you know what you're doing.

xbps is literally the best part of Void. xbps is the best package manager I've ever used. It's the repository handling that's fucked. I'm mad that ibus-anthy is STILL fucking broken for some reason.

trash, it goes in

I installed Icecat and the US English dictionary from the repository, yet it never works. I also installed a dictionary from mozdev manually just to be sure it would work and it still doesn't. I enjoy the challenge of self-checking a little bit but it's more annoying than anything.

took less than a minute to get up and running
haven't run into problems since

You can always report the issue

I've been using it for over a year now. Almost every issue I've had could be solved by looking at the Arch wiki.

The only annoying problem I still have is that my user does not have any privileges to shut down/reboot/etc, which forces me to open a root terminal every time I need to. From a security perspective I can deal with it, it's just slightly annoying.

I've been using it for over a year now. Almost every issue I've had could be solved by looking at the Arch wiki.

The only annoying problem I still have is that my user does not have any privileges to shut down/reboot/etc, which forces me to open a root terminal every time I need to. From a security perspective I can deal with it, it's just slightly annoying.

you can do something like this:
in /etc/sudoers.d/shutdown
or you can do it with doas from openbsd
mobile.twitter.com/VoidLinux/status/738973378774740992

i uninstalled because of the repos not having a lot of the software i wanted.

would have stuck with it if i wasn't so needy and too lazy to create/maintain template files or whatever they call their install files.

Nope. That wasn't it.

I went on a rampage today and fixed three issues:
- Installed the nVidia proprietary driver because nouveau doesn't support HDMI on my GPU. This was mostly a battle between X config files. /var/log/Xorg.0.log had all the necessary info to fix the issues as they arose.
- Fixed Pulseaudio not detecting the headphones plug/unplug event. I needed a few extra services running. wiki.voidlinux.eu/PulseAudio
- Fixed the shutdown menu issue. My user wasn't on the 'wheel' group. wiki.voidlinux.eu/Post_Installation#User_Account

feels-goodman.jpg

Does anyone know how to make the icon set option of urxvt work on Void? In AUR there's a package of a modified version of urxvt without the bug.

I used it for over a year but stopped using it about six months ago. I agree, you can solve most problems with arch or gentoo wikis etc.

Biggest problems most people seem to have is that the packages are split out as fine as possible. So you may have to pull more packages to get the specific part you need.

Anyways, I quite liked it and will probably use it again, I just got lazy and started using Ubuntu LTS because work left less time for autism.

The IRC channel is helpful and the creator or lead maintainer is accessible which is nice. Just don't ask questions there that can be solved by a simple googling and they are quite friendly

I made this, kek

Oh look, another useless, irrelevant distro that'll die in the next dacade

i'm going to switch when they update from gcc 4 to 5. for a rolling release distro, it's odd that the compiler is two major releases outdated.

the gcc5 pr: github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/pull/4330

Been trying to install Void myself the last couple weeks now. Their shitty installer doesn't detect dmraid partitions properly so I had to install the whole thing manually and have needed constant help at every turn. I'm learning a lot about GNU/Linux in the process but goddamn it really shouldn't be this much work to get an operating system running.

In my experience they've been quite helpful and, rather shockingly, actually have a sense of humor.

Get the fuck out

Retard. Mesa needs it for RadeonSI's Gallium3D.

Sadly musl wouldn't really install on my hardware (local's bugged out and the "sucessful install" notification failed me and Cinnamon would crash.) It's a dam shame as I liked the smaller file size and that it is a smaller target.

Using Windows seriosuly for anything but games and work.
trash, it goes in

It focues on being stable, so it's one part Gentoo and another [insert six month old distro here]. Hopefully I can quick get a hang of the packaging so that I can add/edit packages.

I would suggest using btrfs's raid as software/hardware raid doesn't really protect against bit rot [1,2] but only hardware failure and if more than one disk goes, you are fucked.

[1] RAID Part 1: RAID can fail and lead to data loss - youtube.com/watch?v=hquOIFJU3og
[2] RAID Failures: Part 2: BTRFS and ZFS can be better than Hardware Raid - youtube.com/watch?v=ISG_WphoAjo -

No one cares you fucking autist. People use hardware-assisted software RAID when they want RAID on a Windows-Linux dual boot. There is no other possible option. Every time a distro is criticized for crap dmraid support there is one of you autists around to beat people over the head for even using it instead of actually being helpful. People using this sort of setup are already well aware of the risks and options; you're not helping anyone with these incredibly autistic spiels every time the subject comes up.