How viable would LOS microwave links be for home-to-home or house-to-tower internet?

How viable would LOS microwave links be for home-to-home or house-to-tower internet?

Other urls found in this thread:

ubnt.com/broadband/
nature.com/nature/journal/v296/n5860/abs/296850a0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd imagine cost would be the biggest factor, not sure how much electricity they use.

When you say house-to-tower you're talking about from an ISPs tower to a customers house?

Yeah, essentially having a tower near a heavily populated area and then having microwave transcievers pointed at the tower in a similar fashion to satellite dishes. Farther away from the tower, the links could be house-to-house.

If you want it to be safe you'll have to make it pretty fucking low-powered. If you want it to work you'll have to risk frying electronics and birds and children and shit.
It's one thing when you've got the occasional radio or cell tower sending out microwaves that get dispersed quickly enough that they can't hurt anything that isn't right next to them, but it's entirely another thing to propose that every home should have microwaves shooting out from it. Even if nobody got cooked or caught cancer or anything, enough proximity to microwaves has a really weird effect wherein it kills sperm but only the ones carrying y-chromosomes. So you'd cause a major population shift to like 90% female.

t. works with radars

I always wanted a harem.

Seriously, though, aren't MASERs a thing?

I never knew if this was true or not. I've heard that bounced around where I work, but I've never talked to one of our radar guys, so I didn't know.

Its already being done.
ubnt.com/broadband/

This is a thing and its actually quite common, ISP's that function like this are called wisps or wireless internet service providers. For point to point you can get over a gigabit with unlicensed links. For point to multi point you end up with 200-400 Mbps (aggregate) shared for a sector. Google cambium and ubiquity for the two largest providers.

This is all unlicensed gear operating under the fcc's part 15 rules (the same rules wifi works under). These things can function for tens of miles. But it is unlicensed so anyone can use the same spectrum meaning if you have alot of competition in your area you have to use even more directional antennas to avoid interference which increases cost.

I helped build a wisp up from the ground before the owners sold it for millions. Even when you've got 400 Mbps to work with it doesn't take too many people streaming hd youtube, netflix and torrents before the link gets saturated. When we started in the early 2000's we could put 120 people on a 20 Mbps connection and still kick the pants off the dsl the telco provided. When we sold we had less than 30 people on those links and they would be saturated 60% of the time.

Your picture is really out dated almost everything has Ethernet or fiber coming out of it from the antenna now days. What you picture is also a licensed setup. Modern licensed gear can get around 8gbps but its very expensive to setup and purchase the license for, licensed gear 'should' never have interference issues because you are the only one allowed on that spectrum in that area by the FCC.

The power requirements on all this is quite low. We regularly did solar installs on mountain and hill tops.

This is a total shill who knows nothing, disregard all he says. RF does not selectively target sperm based on chromosomes. RF causes damage due to heating and it takes a hell of a lot of it do do that. 2.4 Ghz is a frequency that can cause heating but it is limited by the FCC to 1 watt and that is when using an omni directional antenna. If you want a directional antenna your limited to a fraction of that. This is less than even a cell phone. Unlicensed RF wont do anything to you unless your a total retard and you have the highest power legally available and you sleep with the transmitter on your balls keyed up to 1 watt constantly.

I live in a rural area and the only isp is a wisp which bought one of those old analog television towers and repurposed it to proved wireless.

The max speed they provide is 5Mbs and charge $60 a month for it.
I know I'm getting ripped off, but they can get away with it because they have no competition. It really makes me want to start competing with them. I have the knowledge and the money (I recently sold an app I made to a company), but I really have no idea where to begin.

The area i'm in is also growing quite a bit too.

Just how narrow of a beam can you get?

It's going to cost at a minimum $50k to get something started that would eventually pay back its investment, and that's assuming you do all the work yourself without pay, also assume you wont get to extract any income from it for a year at least. I would probably want double that before starting.

Begin by finding an upstream provider and locations to transmit from. Sometimes you can find people with good locations and offer them free internet for the use of there location. All this is line of sight, there is 900mhz shit that can go through trees but its speed sucks ass. All this is commercial off the shelf shit and unlicensed bandwidth so there are pretty much no regulatory hurtles to jump through and no one in the government you have to ask permission from.

I would also form an llc.

I have been talking to neighbors and some friends and they wanted to invest in doing this, so I think I should be able to pool my money with theirs.

As for upstream, I know verizon tried to build an LTE tower in a neighboring town, but the people who lived there thought it would "ruin the view" and made them to stop.
They left the fiber and everything in the ground near there, so i'm thinking they would be the first to contact to provide an upstream connection.
And I know a few good locations to transmit from that can reach the entire area, and I know the people that live there too. Hell, my own place would make a good

That's pretty nice, regulations were my biggest concern. Do you have any recommendations for equipment, I assume this is all just 802.11n equipment? I would probably try and do 5.8ghz since there really isn't anything blocking line of sight, and trees are pretty rare.

I have an LLC already, but I would probably form another specifically for this.

No the best stuff is not 802.11 based at all. Ubiquity does have some cheaper 802.11ac based stuff.

There is a problem with scheduling with 802.11 stuff, first off you want to schedule the frames when people are nodes are to tx or rx, you also want the equipment to control how much bandwidth each node gets.

With 802.11x when a node wants to tx it first listens to see if anyone else is talking then it just blabs out what it has to say, in a setup like this the nodes are all directional, they can see and listen to the access point but they are almost always deaf to one another, they will often try to talk over each other, it will work fine when you only have a couple users on but when you try to scale it up the whole thing starts to suck. Often only the closest units to the tower will suck up all the bandwidth.

Ubiquity maybe has things to mitigate this on its 802.11ac gear but I don't know that for a fact. Personally I would stick with gps synced cambium gear for the access points and go with ubiquity for the point to point back hauls.

...cont
Just looked up ubiquiti's stuff, looks like the "airMAX" stuff does scheduling so it should be good. Just make sure you don't use there 'unifi' gear. We always used cambium (used to be Motorola canopy before it was sold off to cambium) so I'm much more familiar with it.

Narrow enough that microwave ovens have to design around them

Its like you want to make room for more "refugees" :^)

Some of the high end ones have less than 1° beam width. They get really hard to aim and must be mounted very securely so wind and even thermal expansion of a tower wont mess with there aim.

You can tell that shit to all the radar techs who fathered nothing but girls.
right the fuck back at you, fam

And given an adequate sample size you would find a proportional amount who fathered nothing but boys.

I've taken university biology, physiology and genetics; and am a licensed amateur radio technician. I have also read extensively on the subject of the effects of rf exposure to humans as it was once a concern to me back when I was ignorant on the subject. You are dead wrong and have no valid evidence to back your claim. Furthermore I believe there is no physical process that would cause this. I suspect you fall victim of selection bias and modern superstition. This is of cores assuming you argue in good faith and are not simply a troll which is more likely.

This. I'm still trying to figure out how even a millimeter wave could differentiate between x and y chromosomes.

It sounds too much like someone heard about temperature affecting alligator egg sex and extrapolated a bit too much. Fortunately, the fact that I live in a desert doesn't mean that I'm predestined to have a daughter.

Alligators don't even have sex selective chromosomes. Genetically you cannot determine a male from a female because there is no difference genetically.

Even so if this had any standing on human development (which it does not) it would only happen after fertilization. is just a total crackpot.

holy shit. how long until the radfem lesbians weaponize this for use in culture wars? will my tinfoil pimp suit protect me?

yes

nature.com/nature/journal/v296/n5860/abs/296850a0.html

Temperature does affect sex, though. An uneducated radar tech could follow the broken train of thought that

Stick with infrared laser links if the distance isn't too long.
If the distance is long and atmospheric attenuation becomes a problem, then you can move to microwaves, but they will have a lower bandwidth since they are lower frequency.