Proprietary Software You Still Use

What botnets do you still use?

I still use Google Chrome, Skype, Windows 7, YouTube, and 4chan.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/tech/chrome.html
iridiumbrowser.de/
mirc.co.uk/get.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You have to go back.

as worthless as OP is, it's stupid to imply you can only use one website

Pretty much all of them. Used GNU/Linux for 4 years, two of which were with free software exclusively. Finally had enough of all the half-assed garbage, especially in the desktop and init department, being mostly poor imitations of Windows and Mac OS, so I went and got a Mac. It's far from the ideal desktop OS, but it's closer than anything else I've used.

I will still keep the old Thinkpad around to experiment with. Probably install a tiling window manager and see if I can create the ideal machine for working with just text.

weak willed faggot who gave up detected

Nvidia Linux driver, Steam, Steam games. Everything else on my PC is free software

I own an android phone though

Just a change of priorities. Especially with fucking around with computers all day at work sort of taking the joy out of fucking around with computers at home.

There are a few interesting projects out there, though, like Nix and Guix that I'm more free to experiment with now that I no longer rely on my GNU/Linux laptop for work.

Well, will be a long list

And of course all the software that came with OS X, but I consider that to be a part of the first one. What pisses me off about proprietary software is that if you have an issue or want something changed the best you can hope for is for your issue to be put on a tracker somewhere and forgotten about. I'd rather just get Free/Open Source software and if I like it pay the developers. Another issue is file formats, if I cannot open the files I created with any other software, then what's the point?

I use Pixelmator because I have yet to see any Free software that doesn't make me want to track down and kill the interface designer. Sorry Gimp. I'm going to give Krita a try now that they support OS X, but I know it's a program for drawing and not for editing.

Unity I use for making money, no way around it for now. That's also why I need OS X (Unity is also on Windows, but that's even worse).

I really like the GUI environment of OS X, nothing compares to it. I hate it when an application is designed in the "many windows inside one master window" as is the standard on Windows and GNU/Linux, it's like I'm running a bunch of virtual machines all running DOS.

gentoo

You can use as many websites as you want, but its really telling as to how shitty of a person you are to still go to halfchan

I don't use any proprietary software except the ones that I can't change in my hardware.
-But I used skype witch was replaced by jitsi
-Also replaced MSoffice with libre office
-I used steam and I had about 200 games and I completely abandoned my account
-Used windows 7, I migrated to gnu trisquel 7
-I used firefox and now use gnu icecat
-I had android on my i9100 I replaced it with replicant
-I used gmail witch I replace with openmailbox and I will replace open mail box with my own server at home when I get FTTH technology

The only bits of proprietary software that I have is the modem/routeur of the house + the ipcop firewall with the non blob free linux kernel (yes I don't have wifi and I don't want it)

How do I make everyone at my company stop using skype?

reddit is open source
firefox is slow but it's not a botnet

Nvidia drivers mostly because nouveau sucks for my card. If I could control my fan speed while using nouveau I would have no problems using it since I don't play any video games with crazy graphics.

All the old games I play run on dosbox, scummvm, or have a native linux engine where I can just drop the files in. I guess you could still consider the game files for those games proprietary, but none of them connect to the internet.

I award you a reply

Holla Forums

If it's a free engine using non-functional game data like audio, textures, video, etc, then you're playing the game without proprietary code.
There are some cases where an engine re-uses non-free scripts from the original game, making it semi-free as a whole.

Holla Forums

I occasionally have to use MS Office for business work, but personally all I rely on is AMD's catalyst driver for Linux. It's being replaced by amdgpu eventually, which is nice.
There's also old game consoles, but I doubt I'll be getting much botnet from a Nintendo 64.

You're all commies

why not use chromium and syncthing?

show them something easier

what kind of thing do these connections actually do? i'm asking because you've apparently read the source

Why are there no great Libre music players?

I have a wankblows VM because all my work websites only work with IE. And I've also got like one proprietary game, which is the original Wasteland, but I got it with GOG instead of Steam so I didn't need any other proprietary software with it. Other than that, anything I use that could be called "proprietary" would be so due to copyrighted branding rather than closed-source code, like palememe. And maybe some websites but even RMS doesn't give a shit about websites outside of non-trivial JS. Oh, and the proprietary firmware for the x200's wireless card. I think that covers everything.

reddit isn't really open source, it hooks into closed sores anti-spam code

Fuck off google shill
8ch.net/tech/chrome.html

mpd, clementine

get fucked

There's a Firefox add on called IE view (or something like that) that will render pages like IE. I had issues with websites for school that only worked in IE and that worked so you might wanna look into that

Clementine is decent but it's nowhere near as powerful as something like foobar or MediaMonkey. Also it keeps crashing for me

renoise
sublime text
rhinoceros
matlab
creo
ansys
codexl
atmel studio

Linux is still very weak for getting actual work done.

I don't, with the exception of some games and microcode.

use Amarok, it's alot better imo

driver for my non-free hardware
age of empire 2

...also OP, at the moment you use a non-free operating system and get most of your program to be compiled on a windows machine, you are automatically owning a 100% botnet personal computer.

Still use nonfree JS.
Firefox have parts of bloat are non-free.

Valve Hammer Editor 3.5
Milkshape 3D
Ultimate Unwrap 3D
Adobe Photoshop CS2
Wally Texture Editor

Can anyone guess what I enjoy doing with my spare time?

Using outdated software from the '90s?

Goldsource modding

I used to do that 6 years ago, but I somehow lost interest in this souped-up quake engine.

TBH, both unreal engine 4 and unity3d editors can't compare to valve hammer's quickliness in level prototyping. You don't need a fucking modelling software to make something decent because you can do a lot of brush details and half life provides a ton of textures for that. The only downside is no lighting preview but that's excusable once you learn how lighting works for that engine.

Holla Forums IS PROPRIETARY BOTNET!

I use proprietary bait

● Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 (Ubuntu contains proprietary software packages too)
● Windows 10 Mobile on my phone
● Android on my other phone
● Google services (YouTube, Gmail, Search, Google Play)
● Microsoft services (A fuckload of them)
● Skype
● Viber
● 8ch and 2ch (Thanks Mr. Watkins)
● A bunch of video games from the mid 2000s
● Photoshop
● Flash
● Winamp
● WinRAR

I am become botnet, destroyer of freedoms.

Isn't the JavaScript free?

>Steam in Firejail
>Adoobie Flesh in Wine
I think that's it

Speaking of jails, you should probably run a separate X server for the stuff you don't trust. Firejail is a good start, but Steam can still see everything you see and can log your keys if it runs in the same X session.

Yeah I considered that
I've actually been meaning to set up kiosk mode, like Steam-as-a-user

Could be worse.

Exact Audio Copy through Wine.
There's really no replacement, morituri is dead and full of bugs, same for rubyripper. And none support Accurip v2.

windows 10

Simetrix because my college is shit and won't use ngSpice.

I tried that. IE view works by calling up IE and embedding it into Firefox. So of course, it won't work outside of Windows.

502chan

Wait what? Since when? I thought it had a public repo?

Mein negger

That's what I do. Don't forget to mount /proc with hidepid=2.

Why don't you replace it? Do you need it for something?

Since about half a year, since the public repo didn't get any commits since about half a year ago.

I think firejail makes that unnecessary.

Every replacement I try is garbage.

Which replacements have you tried?

I meant ChromeOS, sorry.

But as a replacement for Chrome, use Chromium (still botnetty and almost identical to Chrome, but not proprietary) or Iridium (Chromium sans botnet).
iridiumbrowser.de/

mIRC.

mirc.co.uk/get.html

forward searched for IDA and didn't find anything

IDA pro.

why? there are plenty of superior clients, but if you are using windows botnet anyway i guess it doesnt matter much

there's some pretty good mpd clients. depends how you like your music player
ncmpcpp or cantata work for me

haven't found anything comparable on linux

idrium is just chromium with a different logo & preconfigured (the privacy settings are enabled by default)

No, the code that calls home to Google servers has been changed.

Steam
Team Fortress 2
that's about it.

XMPlay - the perfect player for all demoscene related music.

Windows 7 and 8 because of some special Windows applications like demos and XMPlay

abcde works fine for me.

your using Holla Forums proprietary software right now.

Holla Forums
Winamp, just because of the not-minimalistic-shit interface with early 2000s feel.
Emulated Games, There's no way i'm leaving PS1 and DOS games

And some other things that don't have a free software alternative.

I run a virtual windows 10 enterprise environment with some pirated software:

I use Office, because libreoffice can't into compatibility with microsoft's formats.
I use Visual Studio/Intel Parallel Studio for developing Windows software / .NET software.
I use IDA for reverse engineering.
I use Matlab for some data analysis tasks and modeling
I use Cadence for designing PCBs
I use AutoCAD for making injection molds and other plastics that I get made in china.

some of those are forgivable. But some aren't. Windows 10 Mobile? Microsoft services? these are the worst.
For some of those, I wouldn't even consider them botnet even though they are propiretary, like games, WinRAR, Winamp.
Google stuff would be ok if you're careful with what you share (except for Chrome, which is the definition of botnet and not just a service but a program on your computer), but judging on what else you have, you probably shared your entire life with Google.

Windows, because WINE is terrible.

I couldn't even install Diablo properly. What a clusterfuck.

Windows 10 mobile is honestly not too bad. It's cheap and I don't care about the lack of apps because all I ever use is the browser and the music player anyway.

Not secure ripping. You underestimate how shitty most optical drives are.

Only some firmware blobs. Everything else is FOSS.

Whatever proprietary software is in OpenSUSE by default, if there is any
FGLRX AMDGPU doesn't support my 280X yet
Steam and muh vidya
Various game consoles
BB10 OS The BB Passport is too good to trade in

I regret everything.

So just use RadeonSI, retard. The 7970 is perfectly supported by it, and the Xorg driver has tearfree and DRI3 now.

bump :^)

I have become one with the botnet

Proprietary nVidia drivers, Steam, whatever the games need in addition to standard Wine libraries(DX,.NET,VRT...)
Chromium and W10 VM for work.
Youtube, Twitch.
Plex because I can't live without it.
Discord for gay autism.
4/jp for muh sweet jay pee.
A gajillion consoles and handhelds.

They eavesdrop, using the microphone.

Proprietary drivers (tfw intel network card), Steam and games, probably some other bits that I can't remember. I'll try going fully free next computer I get.

I think a better question is "how many of the software that you use have you personally audited," to which most people would probably answer "none of it"

I think that servers which your browser sends HTTP requests to kind of miss the point of this thread

There are FOSS browsers, the HTTP is an open standard and TLS is a thing, so I don't understand what you mean.

Botnet 10

Chrome

Nvidia

Android phone

Gmail

Outlook

Steam.

Snapchat

What's app

Redditt app

Have ordered small amounts of 420 using tor and VPN. Using win 10Not been v@

You have to go back

I wrote all of the software I run on my machine, including firmware and controllers ~Æ¿~Æ¿~Æ¿~Æ¿~Æ¿~Æ¿~Æ¿~Æ¿~Æ¿

I'm saying that connecting to a server that happens to run closed-source server-side code isn't really a threat to Muh Freedoms in any significant way

winshill 10 ftw

8gag is almost 4cuck level at this point

I see. In my case, I happen to run the server, as well, so it applies.