What is the best text editor and why is it vim?

What is the best text editor and why is it vim?

Pic related: it's a Sublime Text user.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/tech/res/608442.html
oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/608442.html
oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/608442.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>>/g/
>>>/4chan/

neovim is still shit.

Excellent argument.

Pic related. It's GNU Emacs.

Visual editors were a mistake.
Graphical editors even moreso.
Use ed, or else use ex in non-visual mode if you're not quite ready to truly join the master race yet. Line-oriented text editing is the only true path to enlightenment.

vi (or nvi) is master race
vim is shit
If only vi had syntax colour highlighting I wouldn't use vim at all

OP asked for best text editor, not best text OS.

I can run gvim on every platform. That allows me to use it as my primary editor. neovim is still terrible on Windows.

Real men use edlin.

Found your problem.

Yeah, nah. Will stick with vim/gvim which work wherever I do.

When you have to manage a codebase that's larger than one fucking file you'll grow out of command line editors.

I don't know of anyone using an IDE to do Linux development and that's 15M lines. Maybe you're just bad?

Because posting this once wasn't enough!

top wew

>you need graphical bloat to make anything with more than one file

hey have you considered that maybe you're just shit

Vim doesn't work well with different keyboard layouts.

Nice meme thread.

make a plugin for it then lad

wew

Yeah nah.

if you're not shit at vim you really don't use those keys that frequently. also remapping 4 keys isn't that difficult

Remapping four keys. And the four you just replaced. And the four these replaced. On and on it goes until you have to reinvent everything.

Notepad.exe
nano
mousepad
IDLE
emacs
gedit
EDLIN.EXE
sublime text
VI/VIM

oxwugzccvk3dk6tj.onion/tech/res/608442.htm

8 CHAN IS COMPROMISED, MODS DO NOT DELETE DOUBLE SHILL POSTS

nano

is

for

FAGGOTS

you see autist, an animal and a machine are two different things
where as vim and all those other text editors are the same thing (text editors) they are made to edit text!
however every other text editor is made for normal human use
where as vim is made for people with autism
you also clearly dont know anything about animals if you think you can kick them and they will start doing shit for you
Same with tanks,

why?

But I like Vim and my mom says I'm not autistic.

Nobody reported it, so we didn't know. Someone reported your post so I found out.

The one thing I hated about Vim was that everything is synchronous. It's not a big deal very often, but when syntax checkers or auto completion block your entire editor for even half a second it's too much.

Neovim supports asynchronous job control and it's like a breath of fresh air to be able to keep using the editor while auto completion is collected or a linter runs over my file. And that's just one of the advantages of Neovim.

True, but neither does any other program that uses the keyboard. You know how ctrl-Z is often used for undo in graphical applications? Have fun twisting your hand on a QWERTZ keyboard every time you want to undo anything. I just took the Z and Y keys on my keyboard and swapped them to make a QERTY keyboard for myself.

Vim works fine with other key layouts. I use Colemak and Vim without any problems. If you learned Vim before you switched layouts it might be annoying to fix you muscle memory though.

This is part of vim:# if defined(HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY) && defined(HAVE_SYS_TIME_H) /* Remember at what time we started, so that we know how much longer we * should wait after being interrupted. */# define USE_START_TV struct timeval start_tv; if (msec > 0 && (# ifdef FEAT_XCLIPBOARD xterm_Shell != (Widget)0# if defined(USE_XSMP) || defined(FEAT_MZSCHEME) ||# endif# endif# ifdef USE_XSMP xsmp_icefd != -1# ifdef FEAT_MZSCHEME ||# endif# endif# ifdef FEAT_MZSCHEME (mzthreads_allowed() && p_mzq > 0)# endif )) gettimeofday(&start_tv, NULL);# endifThe keybindings are good, the editor isn't. Try Spacemacs.

It's called an analogy.

Also you seem to confuse autists and programmers.
Vim and other text editors are just the power tools of text processing, that you can't see the use of modal editing for people who weave text all day long is only your damn fault.

But you already knew all that, you're just shitposting with stale bait.

Yeah, that sort of shit is why Neovim exists.

It took me less than a minute to understand.
What's wrong with it?

What's going on in it?

It modifies the if statement.

If FEAT_XCLIPBOARD, USE_XSMP and FEAT_MZSCHEME are disabled, it looks like this:
if (msec > 0 && ()) gettimeofday(&start_tv, NULL);

If FEAT_XCLIPBOARD is enabled:
if (msec > 0 && (xterm_Shell != (Widget)0)) gettimeofday(&start_tv, NULL);

If USE_XSMP is enabled:
if (msec > 0 && (xsmp_icefd != -1)) gettimeofday(&start_tv, NULL);

if FEAT_XCLIPBOARD and USE_XSMP are both enabled:
if (msec > 0 && (xterm_Shell != (Widget)0 || xsmp_icefd != -1)) gettimeofday(&start_tv, NULL);

And so forth to handle all possible combinations of those three flags.

Emacs is literal bloat.

He asked you what's going on in it, not to translate the preprocessor lines into English.

/* Remember at what time we started, so that we know how much longer we* should wait after being interrupted. */
You mean this?
I don't understand the question otherwise.

Not him, but why is all that shit even there if the conditionals are commented out?

Another problem after the preprocessor abuse is gettimeofday. What happens if your NTP daemon/you change system time? Should've used clock_gettime.

Hark, peasants! Notepad++ master race coming through.

Nice joke.

This whole thread.

he made that comic because this thread has been recurring over and over since even before USENET

Remington Quiet-Riter 1955 here

Why the fuck does that typewriter use retarded type bars? I know its from 1891 but shit nigger

emacs master race. Besides, I like a woman with curves.

How is it a joke?

Typewriters are pretty sick yeah, a lot of intelligence services around the world still use them, and dashing author such as yourself also love them.
OP you fucking faggot, Vim is SJW and there's something called EVIL mode in Emacs which basically emulates if you want to use Vim.

The conditionals aren't commented out, they're there to be used whenever some of the flags are enabled.

A. It isn't.
B. It wouldn't matter if it was as long as it is technically superior.

Notepad++ is fine for simple editing on Windows, but it can't touch the power of a properly programmable text editor.

$ zypper info emacsLoading repository data...Reading installed packages...Information for package emacs:------------------------------Repository: repo-ossName: emacsVersion: 24.5-7.2Arch: x86_64Vendor: openSUSEInstalled: NoStatus: not installedInstalled Size: 66.4 MiBSummary: GNU Emacs Base PackageDescription: Basic package for the GNU Emacs editor. Requires emacs-x11 or emacs-nox.

And you get a huge computing environment in those 66.4 MB. vim doesn't even do that much better:$ apt show vim-runtime | grep Installed-SizeInstalled-Size: 27.5 MB

Sorry, this is a text editor thread, not a 'computing environment' thread. I have a computer already. I don't need to be able to answer my emails from my text editor.

bowel-busters-3 % ll /usr/local/bin/nvim
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3.5M Jun 7 10:41:32 2016 /usr/local/bin/nvim*

If you knew *anything* about emacs, you would know that it's extremely modular and you could just have a plain old text editor. EWW, rmail, emms, etc. are all extensions, written in Emacs Lisp.

$ ll /usr/bin/emacs24-nox-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13M Mar 7 2015 /usr/bin/emacs24-noxThe size of the binary is not that significant in programs that load so much code from other files. I will give it credit for being much smaller, but by comparing it in the proper way:$ apt show neovim-runtime | grep Installed-SizeInstalled-Size: 16.8 MB

So, is the 66.4MB just for the text editor? Or do I have to download all the shit I don't want anyway?

66.4 MB includes all the ridiculous things like tetris and a psychotherapist and two IRC clients and a rc-style shell.

I use gedit and atom, faggots BTFO

Weird choice of words. Isn't Atom relatively popular with the diversity crowd? It's made by Github and uses the Contributor Covenant.

Atom is god-tier and even Josh uses it
;)

my nigga

Why is all that shit included? In can understand bundling syntax highlighting plugins and stuff, but whoever decided what goes into the basic Emacs installation has to be a hyperautist.

Sure, but the questions is why anyone in their right mind would do that. Hacking into an if-statement with the preprocessor is possible, but so is wiring all your electrical devices directly to the power grid. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, you're just begging for a disaster.

you are the disaster

Zmacs was way better.

encouraged to make a donation for needy children in Uganda.
Literally nigger of editors

donate bullets tbqdh fam

Yeah FAM that doesn't sound like a good idea. There will come a point where all the white guilt in the world couldn't prop them up anymore, and then there will be mass starvation.

That's why we need to pay to bring them over here user! They won't shit it up like their country this time, promise (*´∀`)ノ

KONY 2016

Vim has more intuative keybinds. Far better than the Mortal Combat-esque key combinations you have to pull off to switch modes in EMACS

EMACS only becomes usable in VI mode and even then, it's marred by bloat and useless shit.

You mean M-x ?

If you're serious and do actually like nano (not sure if you're trolling or not), try putting this in your nanorc:
include /usr/share/nano/*.nanorc
Then open some source code file.

Attached is a screenshot of what results. (i.e., syntax highlighting)

heh

Compared with vi(m)'s single keypress mode switches, you have to admit the emacs approach is comparatively clunky.

Yes, but it's weird to compare them in the first place. Modes in vi and modes in Emacs are completely different things.

I just use whatever, I'm not picky.
This whole discussion is bullshit.