Someone posted a defeatist thread on pol with my IP

I lurk here often but don't post much. Last week I went to shitpost a reply and was notified that my IP was banned for a few days for creating this thread: sys.8ch.net/pol/res/6014435.html#6014435

I've seen this kind of shit a million times here and just always ignored it, wondering why anyone would bother to post that here. And I've also read about people who post that kind of shit as a demoralization tactic, but wasn't sure if it was a real thing (who would actually be affected by that?)

Anyway, the question is this: how the fuck did it come from my IP?

I'm not jumping to conclusions here, and hopefully somebody can point out something simple that I'm overlooking. Can a mod just misclick and ban the wrong IP by accident? I've never seen the interface.

I did not, at the time, use a vpn or proxy.

It's happened before to other people. Sometimes the bans will get mixed up or an autoban system will target the wrong IP address.

Do you have dynamic IP? Mine changes every day I think.

So just change your IP. Problem solved.

Do you have Comcast by any chance? New Comcast modems have a secondary radio that lets anyone use your wifi.

Either that or the shitposting is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!

I guess you need better control of your IP, my man, don't let it be cucking you with other users.

Kek. You staying at the Purdy Motel bruv?

Probably dynamic IP

If you are behind a NAT (for example you might be if you are posting from a corporate computer or college dorm) it could be someone else on your local network who is posting it, and who appears to have the same IP address to people on the wider internet.

You should be using a VPN, retard.

srsly tho that was me m8.

And it wasn't a demoralization thread faggot we actually got a lot of shit done; helped at least 3 Holla Forumsacks.

What the fuck? How…? No I'm not staying at a motel…

Hmm I use a VPN with shared IPs, and two different portals are banned for the same post (which I didn't make).

which VPN site do u use?

Must be dynamic IP?
Idk I'm not at the hotel anymore.

Have had the same IP for months. Were you leeching random wifi (with a long-range adapter because i live in the woods)?

Nope, I was using the wifi they told me to use. 3258Susquehanna (password is newportde)

taht would be hilarious if it was like his dad or something. hahaha

fuck off OP no one cares

Seconded.

OP lrn 2 even h4xordz faget.

I've had the same thing happen to me by a spammer. How do they get your IP? My best guess is there's something wrong with Holla Forums's and threading. The worst threading issues often don't appear until there are a lot of users on concurrently.

My other evidence: I've posted images and have had them end up in someone else's post. Not having seen the code, I suspect there is a session ID associated with every user, but the thread that accesses the database lacks some kind of locking mechanism to prevent two or more users from running over each other in the same section of code (person A is submitting an image concurrently to person B, so some of person B's data ends up in person A's submission or vice versa).

The solution to this is to create a locking mechanism called a mutex that prevents two threads from writing to a data region at the same time, so B cannot overwrite A's data while A is in the process of submitting a post.

No conspiracy theory here, just bad code IMO.

They probably keep a list of posts they do not like for a mass ban during important events. Either that or it means it's time to stop drinking so heavily, buddy.

I use a VPN and Holla Forumskike spammers get almost all the IPs banned so that you cant post.

Yeah that happened to me once before with my home computer. Said somebody made a post with my IP that I did not make. It was some kind of shill thread. I would love an explanation about this.

That's the question.

And I gave you the answer. They get your IP address because it's submitted to the database along with your post. I haven't seen the code, but there's a memory region that probably looks something like this:

USER_ID
POST_ID
IP_ADDRESS
POST_DATA
IMG_LINK
….

And then there's some code that submits it to the database.

The thing is, this same memory region is reused over and over. So if you have multiple threads, you could have Client A posting its IP_ADDRESS into that section while Client B is still filling up POST_DATA, IMG_LINK or something else preparing to submit to the database.

Client A has had its own IP_ADDRESS overwritten by Client B, and that is what gets submitted to the database. It's obviously wrong.

To fix it you create a lock variable that tells a thread: this memory region is currently in use, don't try to write until Client A is done and the data is submitted. Client B checks the lock variable, sees that Client A is still using it and tries again later.

Usually this kind of threading problem goes unnoticed because database submissions are so fast that transactions don't often run over one another. But when the server is bogged down, then you see this happen more frequently.

So no, no one's "stealing" your IP. The post is having the wrong IP recorded - the same way posts have the wrong image recorded.

Then when a mod comes in and sees the post with data from two clients written to it, they ban the IP associated with that post (which is the wrong one), and then the user who did nothing wrong is banned.

So either you have to place a lock around your memory region OR you can do what's called COW (Copy On Write) - you create a copy of a memory region and use that instead. No other threads (Clients) can access that memory region before it's written to the database.

Is that a sufficient explanation?

If you posted from your phone or from your home, then chances are that your IP changes constantly.

Places where IP doesn't necesarily change include workplaces and studyplaces.

I got introduced to the whole Evalion nonsense when I got an 8-day ban for "e-celeb bullshit".

I have a static IP and nobody else could be using it. I even went and checked for malware/rogue devices on the network, and nothing.

That wasn't a defeatist thread. That was a self improvement thread. Only the first few sentences sound defeatist.

sage for misinformation

the mods are already compromised here, not sure where to go next though.

I'll simplify it a bit:

Imagine you're posting by markerboard. There is only one markerboard and everyone uses it. While you're filling out the markerboard with your data someone else is coming in and overwriting parts of your markerboard with their data because no one is telling them - hey, multiple people can't use the markerboard at the same time!

So now you have parts of your post and parts of someone else's post on the markerboard, but you don't notice it. You submit the markerboard to a clerk who writes it down on a more permanent media. It now has your post text but another person's IP address on it. It also has an image someone else drew on it. It's not your post, it's a frankenpost.

Normally it doesn't matter because the people get through so fast that people aren't touching the markerboard at the same time, but when you have tons of people wanting to use the markerboard at the same time, then the markerboard ends up with data from everyone on it.

So the solution is to make a rule: only one person can use the markerboard at a time OR create multiple markerboards.

This isn't NAT, it could be VPN in some cases, but it is definitely happening with static IPs, it's happening with images.

It's a fault in Holla Forums's code - I guarantee it.

It's probably because imkampfy has gone insane and started dishing out /16 rangebans, which often nukes entire ISPs.

I recall he also did this shit back in 2015 when he was trying to prevent Trump from being discussed, hence the reason everyone hated him to begin with.

always use a vpn, jim and various shills have been banning them though so pony up faggot.
and I don't mean horsefucker shit you degenerates.

To clarify, 8ch only shows your actual IP in the ban notification.

That is, if there was a rangeban in effect, there's no way for the user to tell, they just see that their own IP is banned. It's a UI oversight.

This happened to me recently. I got banned for some Bernie thread that I didn't even create. The thing is…it wasn't on a VPN. It was my main home IP.

Go back to cuckchan, you fucking queer.

seriously though, what happened to her, she can just make more videos and put them under proxies or whatever. She wasnt assassinated yet I hope?

Fucking retard

This never fucking happened but I really wish it did.